Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm currently using a Logitech G9x and I'm looking for something with a smaller foot print and wireless. I typically use my mouse either in a claw like fashion or just my fingers, never my whole hand resting on the unit. I do some light gaming, but not really any FPS games. Would the MX Anywhere 2 be a good choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ufarn posted:

I like my G5 for general use, but the grip on it is sorta weird for twitchy shooters, and I generally hold it in three different ways throughout the day. If I took up playing Overwatch on PC, I think I'd struggle a little.

'Ergonomic' (as in the G5 shape, not vertical ones et al) mice are a bit of a racket imo; they kind of force you to fully palm the mouse if you want to hold it properly, which means to get any kind of precision you have to put your wrist and arm through rsi-inducing agony.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Generic Monk posted:

they kind of force you to fully palm the mouse if you want to hold it properly

I've been able to use fingertip grip perfectly fine on the MX500/MX700/MX510/G5/G500/G502.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

You are thinking the castor, I can go get both and take a side by side if you don't believe me.

Also my favorite thing about the Naos is it does not have any slimy feeling soft touch plastic everybody keeps putting on the side of mice.

I own both. Overall size is really similar but the Naos is quite a bit flatter, and not very much wider. Its a very small-feeling mouse. The G502 is narrow but otherwise not all that small, and its porky as hell.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I'm trying to choose between a few mice for use with my laptop while I'm couch computing. My laptop is on a table, but there's not a ton of space for moving the mouse and my grip varies between claw and fingertip due to the weird positioning.

As of now, my main contenders are all logitech: M510, Performance MX, and MX Master. Obviously, the price points are all across the board, but price is not a factor (unless it's literally "same thing/different price").

From the dimensions, it looks like they increase in size in order of: M510, MX Master, and Perf. MX. So I like the overall small size of the M510 for space concerns, but I like the flare outs on the latter two (it gives me something to lean against when mousing from a weird angle) and I think the super protruding side buttons on the M510 would be prone to accidental clicking. This makes me think the MX Master is the best compromise, but I'm concerned about the stacked (instead of horizontal) back/forward buttons, and I don't think I need all the features of the master.

So it's basically: M510 - smallest footprint, MX Master - best shape?, Perf. MX - best button layout.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which mouse may accommodate the fingertip or claw grip best? Thoughts on using the side buttons on the Master? Oh, and I prefer a scroll wheel with detectable ratcheting feedback and that is not too loose or freewheely. In other words, precision scrolling is more important to me than fast multipage scrolling. Anyone with experience using these mice have thoughts on that? Thanks for any help.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
What is a good general gaming mouse for fingertip grip? I really don't like tall or long bodied mice.

I'd like to stay away from Logitech since the last I had started turning single clicks into double clicks after only a few months use.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

ufarn posted:

Interesting. Looks like EC1-A is the one to get for me with right-hand ergonomic palm grip and a big-ish hand.

Do I need to buy foot pads for it, or whatever you call it? I use an old SteelSeries felt pad, but I should probably get myself a new one.

I love the EC1-A and I have a big-ish hand, it's a great mouse. No need for foot pads.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

fletcher posted:

I love the EC1-A and I have a big-ish hand, it's a great mouse. No need for foot pads.
Yeah, I checked some videos and went ahead and ordered it yesterday. :3:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's also just been announced that Zowie is moving to new switches, too.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

JacksAngryBiome posted:

What is a good general gaming mouse for fingertip grip? I really don't like tall or long bodied mice.

I'd like to stay away from Logitech since the last I had started turning single clicks into double clicks after only a few months use.
This will inevitably happen with any microswitches are aren't the tip-top of QA, it's just a random chance. The difference is that Logitech will replace your mouse for free and Zowie probably won't.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

El Scotch posted:

It's also just been announced that Zowie is moving to new switches, too.
Of course. I guess I'll just have to wait to open the package, until I learn more about the difference. *kicks dirt*

If I'm not mistaken, the Omron switches are the one used by DeathAdder - which some at least have regarded as inferior to the ones in the current lineup.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 14, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Can confirm that Zowie makes fantastic mice. At current I am using a FinalMouse and loving the poo poo out of it, though.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

marjorie posted:

I'm trying to choose between a few mice for use with my laptop while I'm couch computing. My laptop is on a table, but there's not a ton of space for moving the mouse and my grip varies between claw and fingertip due to the weird positioning.

As of now, my main contenders are all logitech: M510, Performance MX, and MX Master. Obviously, the price points are all across the board, but price is not a factor (unless it's literally "same thing/different price").

From the dimensions, it looks like they increase in size in order of: M510, MX Master, and Perf. MX. So I like the overall small size of the M510 for space concerns, but I like the flare outs on the latter two (it gives me something to lean against when mousing from a weird angle) and I think the super protruding side buttons on the M510 would be prone to accidental clicking. This makes me think the MX Master is the best compromise, but I'm concerned about the stacked (instead of horizontal) back/forward buttons, and I don't think I need all the features of the master.

So it's basically: M510 - smallest footprint, MX Master - best shape?, Perf. MX - best button layout.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which mouse may accommodate the fingertip or claw grip best? Thoughts on using the side buttons on the Master? Oh, and I prefer a scroll wheel with detectable ratcheting feedback and that is not too loose or freewheely. In other words, precision scrolling is more important to me than fast multipage scrolling. Anyone with experience using these mice have thoughts on that? Thanks for any help.

I used to use a Performance MX at home until it became too problematic, now I have an MX Master while I still have a Perf. MX at work.

Feature-wise, the Master is a beast, and it looks and feels really nice, but I almost never use the forward/back buttons since they're awkward as poo poo for me. Or let me put it this way: the buttons themselves aren't that much of a problem - it's how back they are that is the issue for me. The way they're designed (triangular protrusion and the like) doesn't make it an issue to "feel" which one you're about to press, but moving the thumb backwards every time you want to use them is eh. The Performance MX fits my hand a bit better, tho, so your experience may vary.

The bottom thumb button (where you press downward on the protrusion to the left) is awkward as poo poo in both mice if you ask me, although the Master MX one is a bit easier to press and way more programmable with Gestures and poo poo.

Regarding the grip, the Performance MX is just fine using either fingertip or palm grim and okay-ish with claw grip, but the Master is a bit problematic with claw grip (the back-angle is much more steep so your palm keeps hitting it). They both feel the best when using palm grip for me - it's why they're so huge!

As for the scrolling, this is where the Master shines. You can either have it in default mode which has plenty of ratcheting feedback, or in freeflow mode where you can be really precise for small variations of the scroll wheel. Or you can just turn the sucker madly and it'll auto-switch to "scroll the entire page in a heartbeat" mode, then switch back when it's done or you stop the wheel, which I LOVE. The Performance MX is a bit softer and doesn't give me as much feedback when using the scrollwheel, but is also "softer" to use, which I prefer - but I got used to the more mechanical, rough scrollwheel.

Speaking of the scroll wheel, I prefer the Master's middle-click via pushing down the scroll wheel - it just feels better and is done easier. And the thumbscroll owns (I use it mostly for zooming, in software which uses essentially holding control and scrolling for zooming it's fine but is problematic in other configurations - for example I have to use an AutoHotKey script so I can zoom with it in Photoshop and Illustrator because there it's tied to holding alt and scrolling...).

Oh, keep in mind that one of the reasons I can't use my old Perf. MX is because the scrollwheel just started acting up - randomly scrolling in either direction when it shoudn't, it got really finnicky and drove me MAD for any precision work.

I hope this helps you in your choice.

edit: Oh yeah, since you're saying you're couch computing - both mice are INCREDIBLY good at working on pretty much any surface, so technically you could literally use 'em on your couch? I've used both on my bed when I'm being a lazy rear end in a top hat and reading on my laptop while laying in bed, and they work flawlessly.

Tecman fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 14, 2015

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Logitech came through for me. I came home today to a fresh new G502 and now I'm saying good things about Logitech to anyone who'll listen. Will I provide a G502's sales' worth of marketing to them? Only time will tell.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Tecman posted:

I used to use a Performance MX at home until it became too problematic, now I have an MX Master while I still have a Perf. MX at work.

Feature-wise, the Master is a beast, and it looks and feels really nice, but I almost never use the forward/back buttons since they're awkward as poo poo for me. Or let me put it this way: the buttons themselves aren't that much of a problem - it's how back they are that is the issue for me. The way they're designed (triangular protrusion and the like) doesn't make it an issue to "feel" which one you're about to press, but moving the thumb backwards every time you want to use them is eh. The Performance MX fits my hand a bit better, tho, so your experience may vary.

The bottom thumb button (where you press downward on the protrusion to the left) is awkward as poo poo in both mice if you ask me, although the Master MX one is a bit easier to press and way more programmable with Gestures and poo poo.

Regarding the grip, the Performance MX is just fine using either fingertip or palm grim and okay-ish with claw grip, but the Master is a bit problematic with claw grip (the back-angle is much more steep so your palm keeps hitting it). They both feel the best when using palm grip for me - it's why they're so huge!

As for the scrolling, this is where the Master shines. You can either have it in default mode which has plenty of ratcheting feedback, or in freeflow mode where you can be really precise for small variations of the scroll wheel. Or you can just turn the sucker madly and it'll auto-switch to "scroll the entire page in a heartbeat" mode, then switch back when it's done or you stop the wheel, which I LOVE. The Performance MX is a bit softer and doesn't give me as much feedback when using the scrollwheel, but is also "softer" to use, which I prefer - but I got used to the more mechanical, rough scrollwheel.

Speaking of the scroll wheel, I prefer the Master's middle-click via pushing down the scroll wheel - it just feels better and is done easier. And the thumbscroll owns (I use it mostly for zooming, in software which uses essentially holding control and scrolling for zooming it's fine but is problematic in other configurations - for example I have to use an AutoHotKey script so I can zoom with it in Photoshop and Illustrator because there it's tied to holding alt and scrolling...).

Oh, keep in mind that one of the reasons I can't use my old Perf. MX is because the scrollwheel just started acting up - randomly scrolling in either direction when it shoudn't, it got really finnicky and drove me MAD for any precision work.

I hope this helps you in your choice.

edit: Oh yeah, since you're saying you're couch computing - both mice are INCREDIBLY good at working on pretty much any surface, so technically you could literally use 'em on your couch? I've used both on my bed when I'm being a lazy rear end in a top hat and reading on my laptop while laying in bed, and they work flawlessly.

Thank you so much for the great notes on both mice. Thinking more about it, the scroll wheel is probably the most important feature for me, as I use it constantly in most applications/games that I run on my laptop. The most important thing for me about the side buttons is that they're not easily pressed on accident. It sounds like this is not an issue on the MX Master. I'm going to head to a brick and mortar store tonight to see if the height of the Master will be a problem, but barring that, I think I'm going to go with it. If nothing else, I much prefer palm gripping when on my desktop, so I can always just take advantage of the "track anywhere" feature and position myself to allow such a grip while couch computing. Thanks again for all of your help!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Logitech came through for me. I came home today to a fresh new G502 and now I'm saying good things about Logitech to anyone who'll listen. Will I provide a G502's sales' worth of marketing to them? Only time will tell.

Yeah I've been doing the same since they sent me a replacement for a four year old MX Performance Mouse out of warranty without a receipt. They earned a customer for life with that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They replaced a KR400 wireless keyboard in total when I asked simply if I could purchase a replacement key, as I got angry and threw it to the ground one day and all of the keycaps exploded and I couldn't find one of them.

Despite other things (like :pcgaming: lighting recently) I'm pretty cool with them. I love my MX Master and the two M705 Marathon mice I have from them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: :siren: :siren: G502 is now $40 BUY BUY BUY http://slickdeals.net/f/8373587-logitech-g502-proteus-core-optical-gaming-mouse-39-99-bestbuy-com

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Wow hopefully we get something similar here. Currently $89.99 at Best Buy Canada.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

BGrifter posted:

Wow hopefully we get something similar here. Currently $89.99 at Best Buy Canada.
Nope. MSRP the entire time everywhere in Canada while it plummeted to $30 at Bestbuy.com for Black Friday, which refuses to ship to Canada

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

GokieKS posted:

I've been able to use fingertip grip perfectly fine on the MX500/MX700/MX510/G5/G500/G502.

Same.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I bought a refurb for $50 last week and am now kicking myself. Goddamn.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So why are the zowie mice so good? They look like plain rear end mice but cost $70

breaks
May 12, 2001

You get gaming features like high poll rate, good sensor implementation, switchable DPI, low click latency, etc, in a package that looks pretty normal, and with no software installation.

If you don't care about that stuff then just get a plain rear end mouse.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Is the new Razer Diamondback good enough to be worth getting once refurbished units become available for a lower price? Like hell I'm paying $90 for one.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Mutation posted:

So why are the zowie mice so good? They look like plain rear end mice but cost $70

Breaks basically covered it, but I lean on them for: optical sensor, no drivers, and I really like the shape (specifically of the FK1). They're also built super well.

As I'm now on a FinalMouse, shape can obviously be changed to taste. The optical sensor and lack of drivers are basically must haves for me though.

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 16, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mutation posted:

they have no bullshit 'ergonomic' shape, are plainly designed with no tacky LEDs, and have the best sensors on the market

whether that's worth the price depends on you really; i got mine second hand for a v. respectable discount so that decision was essentially immaterial to me

Woolie Wool posted:

Is the new Razer Diamondback good enough to be worth getting once refurbished units become available for a lower price? Like hell I'm paying $90 for one.

i would not advise buying any razer product, let alone a second hand model that was probably returned because it didn't work.

also they seem to want to make you pay $90 for a 9 year old design, the only things that have changed being that the sensor now has 14,400 extra cpi that you won't use and awful gaudy lighting.

(also i'm probably wrong about this but i'll post it anyway because it's rhetorically baller; won't the laser sensor in the new mouse have more acceleration than the optical sensor in the 2004 mouse?)

GokieKS posted:

i had a g5 for like 7 years and used fingertip grip on it with not too many probs so yeah you're right. it did not escape me that the mouse was designed very conspicuously for a form-fitting palm grip though, which i felt obligated to try and did not like. most people seem to like to use a mouse as an object that they move around as opposed to an extension of their arm therefore ergonomic mice are irrelevant, is what i was trying to say i guess

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 16, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I got the replacement Naos 7000 after some weather delay. M1 click is better than the last one, but still a bit clunky. I'm going to keep it, but I am a bit disappointed that this isn't the perfect mouse.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Generic Monk posted:

(also i'm probably wrong about this but i'll post it anyway because it's rhetorically baller; won't the laser sensor in the new mouse have more acceleration than the optical sensor in the 2004 mouse?)

Most Likely. There are some optical mice out there with terrible acceleration and there are some laser mice out there with very little, but what you said is very frequently the case.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Starcraft progamers use a palm grip, therefore it is the best.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Are you interested in a $5 mouse that's more :pcgaming: than anything? Look no further than quality Chinese brand James Donkey. I bought this somewhat ironically, to see what this $5 yellow and black colored mouse would be like. Surprisingly, it's not that bad, although it lacks for features. It has three DPI settings, 1000, 1600, and 2000. There's no software. You can't turn the LEDs off (although they're orange and not too bright). Might be a good gift for someone who doesn't care about features or someone who would also enjoy an ironic but actually functional mouse. Or maybe you just like yellow and black.

Here it is next to my G400S:

I picked it up from this ebay seller for $5 but there's probably other places that sell them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261599376179

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

i would not advise buying any razer product, let alone a second hand model that was probably returned because it didn't work.

also they seem to want to make you pay $90 for a 9 year old design, the only things that have changed being that the sensor now has 14,400 extra cpi that you won't use and awful gaudy lighting.

99% of the Diamondbacks still around are the 3G models covered in that rubber poo poo that collects every speck of dust or skin flake that comes in contact with it and rapidly becomes disgusting. I love the shape of the thing and miss my old 2G but I don't want one that makes me go :barf: when I touch it. Also my refurb Taipan hasn't given me a single issue and I paid only $40 for it. A Diamondback with the finish of the Taipan (which actually feels expensive) and side buttons that can actually be pressed with normal human hand anatomy (so I can play stuff like Wrath of Cronos that's not really playable with only three buttons) is kind of like my holy grail.

As for the gaudy lighting, I'll just set it to plain green.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Trying out the CM Storm Xornet 2 now, Cooler Master's new entry into claw grip-focused mice. If you miss the Logitech G9x really badly or were found of the CM Storm Spawn, you might want to look into this. It's priced very affordably and rocks an Avago 3320.

Rexxed posted:

Are you interested in a $5 mouse that's more :pcgaming: than anything? Look no further than quality Chinese brand James Donkey. I bought this somewhat ironically, to see what this $5 yellow and black colored mouse would be like. Surprisingly, it's not that bad, although it lacks for features. It has three DPI settings, 1000, 1600, and 2000. There's no software. You can't turn the LEDs off (although they're orange and not too bright). Might be a good gift for someone who doesn't care about features or someone who would also enjoy an ironic but actually functional mouse. Or maybe you just like yellow and black.

Here it is next to my G400S:

I picked it up from this ebay seller for $5 but there's probably other places that sell them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261599376179
Lol, I saw 'James Donkey' in a big list of sensors and wondered what their deal was. That's very funny.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Josh Lyman posted:

Starcraft progamers use a palm grip
That is not correct. It depends on the player but fingertip grip is much more popular than palm in the starcraft scene.

Look here: http://imgur.com/a/ixDhR

I only looked at the first 14 images but ALL of them that were holding their mouse were using a fingertip grip, at least half a dozen examples

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Looking through those pics made me realize I am more of a claw or maybe claw-palm hybrid grip than a straight palm grip.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Col.Kiwi posted:

That is not correct. It depends on the player but fingertip grip is much more popular than palm in the starcraft scene.

Look here: http://imgur.com/a/ixDhR

I only looked at the first 14 images but ALL of them that were holding their mouse were using a fingertip grip, at least half a dozen examples
Those look like what I think of when I think palm grip.

I don't even know what's real anymore. :aaa:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Josh Lyman posted:

If you don't amputate all your fingers it's not a true palm grip. Starcraft pros just aren't as dedicated as DOTA pros.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

taqueso posted:

Looking through those pics made me realize I am more of a claw or maybe claw-palm hybrid grip than a straight palm grip.

i think people who have a full-on actual #realtalk palm grip are in a small minority, since you're objectively less accurate with fine manipulation than you would be if your fingers were in the equation

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Josh Lyman posted:

To be fair you have to look fairly close to see palm vs fingertip. Claw is the really obvious one.

Also I agree with the guy that said true palm grip is a minority, at least among gamers. It seems to me like it would just be straight up harder to be fast and accurate. At the end of the day though whatever is comfortable for you is The Right Way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Col.Kiwi posted:

Also I agree with the guy that said true palm grip is a minority, at least among gamers. It seems to me like it would just be straight up harder to be fast and accurate. At the end of the day though whatever is comfortable for you is The Right Way
Palm grip used to be super common in the cs1.6 scene. It probably still is in CSGO, although I see players use a bit higher sensitivity now on average than back in the day so fingertip/hybrid/claw kinda grips probably really caught on.