Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Book of the New Sun is better than Lord of the Rings.

I will fight any of you nerds who have different, subjective opinions.

Book of the New Sun is better then almost all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
ursula le guin and china mieville are the only white fantasy authors worth a loving hot drat

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Avshalom posted:

ursula le guin and china mieville are the only white fantasy authors worth a loving hot drat

You might like Nicola Griffith.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Sampatrick posted:

Obviously Robert Jordan is the American Tolkien.

Fight me IRL

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Avshalom posted:

Gene Wolfe? Max Gladstone? Brian Catling? Naomi Novik? Neil Gaiman? Stephen King? Scott Hawkins? There are tons of good white fantasy authors.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Avshalom posted:

Is "white fantasy" a race?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Has a D&D manual ever been written by someone who isn't white?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

Gene Wolfe? Max Gladstone? Brian Catling? Naomi Novik? Neil Gaiman? Stephen King? Scott Hawkins? There are tons of good white fantasy authors.

I don't think this is the kind of post Avshalom, praise be unto her name, was looking for.

Has a D&D manual ever been written by someone who isn't white?

Mike Pondsmith did a bunch of D&D stuff.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

Mike Pondsmith did a bunch of D&D stuff.

God drat it. I was just on wiki to check that having worked with Mike in the past...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Pondsmith

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
no it all sucks. fart

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Avshalom posted:

no it all sucks. fart

Just to be clear I wasn't tryin to be all "oh yeah!? how dare you" it was a serious suggestion, Nicola Griffith was super inspired by LeGuin and writes well about some of the same issues

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
nicola griffart

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
rothfart lmao

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Maybe the real murderer was fantasy fiction all along

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Avshalom posted:

nicola griffart

Avshalom posted:

rothfart lmao

haha

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Patrice Rothfart swept beardedly down the stairs. The hour was late. The drugs were in the basement. His office, the one with the computer whose screen had burned in its center the battlenet overlay, crisp above any other pixels, an unrelenting reminder on the rare occasions he clicked the file marked kingkiller3.docx that he'd already lost the battle of wills (Defeat was inevitable, and to protest it lacked grace and form)- that office was on the second floor. Fastidiously, he descended the steps, searching for his bong.

The pain came in threes.

The raised circular imprint touched first. This by itself was not intolerable- no. It was the pressure with which his foot caught the tiny plastic pistons. It reached inside his foot, found his soft meats, and spread a web of pain greater than any woman's scent. If one looked closely, down to the cellular level perhaps, they would see the word lego branded on each point of contact. This was the pain of the pegging.

Next, as should be obvious by now my reader, comes the pain of the sharpened corners. I say sharpened here intentionally, with the 3/4 cut time of the contralto. What purpose could such corners have on a child's toy? The question, and its answer, are as plain as day. It is a utility of pain, a prerequisite to agony. Lego sharpens the corners with this thought in mind; it is not for construction, that these edges bite. This is the pain of the corner.

A final pain, this one a combination. A gestalt. It has an aged oak character, a history- once part of a forest, a network of bark wrapped selves- was this floorboard that rushes up to meet my face. It is shocking and total pain- so complete that my mother's face flashes across the waxen pane of my consciousness- and sends me to a temporary oblivion. My neck is at an angle inhuman. My elbows and knees twitch, the pain in them so great that it is above my ability to feel- a state of temporary thanks, I assure you- because as the pane lessens, it will at last grasp the highest magnitude of agony I know and ride down the spectrum, up my nervous system, and blossom into my brain in all its colors, hues, and terror. This is the pain of the fall.

In a room above me, though in my present state direction has no real meaning, a whirring begins. It is the oxygen cycle of a child, pulled like the zip cord on a push-mower into a state of unrest. It leaps and scrambles to free itself as a splash of gas hits the chamber of sparks I've created. Oot unleashes a toddler war cry for his mother. The light in my bedroom comes on. The door swings open, creaking as old houses do, and footsteps sound.

"Oh Patrick, not again."

Hasten back yon demons, to the dark places that bore you. Return yourselves to silence, to sleep!

"You woke the baby," she sighs, heavily, and goes to placate with physiology I am barred from accessing.

My bong, I whisper to no one but myself, I forgot- I had to sell it when I was homeless during college, fighting for education, food, and warmth. It was never really in the basement at all.

Edit: I didn't mean to switch to first person halfway through, but you know what, I think it works for this piece. It captures the psychosis I imagine Pat feels every time a mirror hastens to cast his image from its surface. Also the fact the you know Kvothe is standing behind Chronicler trying to fix everything he writes. "No, I said I was imposing and regal when Denna slobbered her drug addict mouth on me."

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 15, 2017

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
rothfart

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

this is ummm, Good. it's a good joke

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Reene posted:

this is ummm, Good. it's a good joke
thank you, friend.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
My cousin and I will 'trade books' sometimes; I'll buy a book for him that I liked, he'll buy a book for me that he liked. We read and compare.

Last time I got him 'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay'. He got me 'In the Name of the Wind'.

We don't trade books anymore.

Edit: holy poo poo it is so bad. It is an open sore of a book.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 17, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Eela6 posted:

My cousin and I will 'trade books' sometimes; I'll buy a book for him that I liked, he'll buy a book for me that he liked. We read and compare.

Last time I got him 'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay'. He got me 'In the Name of the Wind'.

Your cousin obviously still needs your help, though. Show him the error of his ways and get him a better book.
Or, print and bind BotL's "Let's Read Critically" posts.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Eela6 posted:

Edit: holy poo poo it is so bad. It is an open sore of a book.

Get your cousin "Twisted" by Miranda Leek.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

Get your cousin "Twisted" by Miranda Leek.
Come on, that's way too much of an escalation. Maybe something by Piers Anthony?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Come on, that's way too much of an escalation. Maybe something by Piers Anthony?

I think that's worse. Twisted is in the Maradonia sphere, PedAnthony is in the "this should never have been acceptable" sphere.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I like my cousin, though.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Eela6 posted:

I like my cousin, though.

Honestly, if you take JosephWongKS's Let's Read and print it out they'd have to be cold and dead inside to not enjoy it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

It captures the psychosis I imagine Pat feels

:chloe: gently caress off with this.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
So when's the next book coming? I just reread NOTW while sick over easter, and I don't want to read the next one again, so... NOTW was published in 2007 right? What's the holdup?

Oh. Is... can Rothfuss be... bad?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

So when's the next book coming? I just reread NOTW while sick over easter, and I don't want to read the next one again, so... NOTW was published in 2007 right? What's the holdup?

Oh. Is... can Rothfuss be... bad?

Why didn't you read something good instead?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Andrast posted:

Why didn't you read something good instead?

I just finished the Witcher series and Rothfuss was good in comparison.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it is i, pedroth funk. with gunt in hand i descend the spiral staircase. she waits there at the bottom, my woman with her lantern and her tits like twin halves of apricots in syrup, her face like a wistful porcelain moon; her hair is an extravagant symphony of autumnal hues and her legs are many. i draw my wretched blade. its name is erect heretic. it is six thousand years old, forged by a sex elf from the purestrain gold excreted by the heart of a supernova, it is too heavy to lift so i have to wheel it around. my lady's diamontine eyes fixate on my erection. a dusting of a smile like the snow upon the boreal pine needles appears to brush its grace lightly across her delicate lips, HONK IF YOU'RE HORNY she says and i say HONK HONK and then i swirl into an effortless whirlwind of the blade that strikes her head from her neck and sends it flying through the open window like the lonesome albatross

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

:chloe: gently caress off with this.

Aww someone having a hard day?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's incredibly creepy to obsess over someone like that because you don't like their dumb fantasy bestsellers and blog posts :chloe:

That this extremely simple, common sense observation seems to escape comprehension of so many posters means that I've failed.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 18, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Aww someone having a hard day?

BoTL is in the odd position of seriously disliking Rothfuss' work, writing dozens of pages of analysis of how bad it is on repeated rereads, but being very sensitive and disapproving of suggestions that Rothfuss might be deeply weird or have mental illness issues.

:crossarms:

Hey, wait a minute...

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's incredibly creepy to obsess over someone like that because you don't like their dumb fantasy bestsellers and blog posts :chloe:

That this extremely simple, common sense observation doesn't seems to escape comprehension of so many posters means that I've failed.

Are we basing obsession on time spent posting? If so, I have no doubt your name rockets straight to the top.

I'm betting the word psychosis is what really triggered you. Just hope you're getting the help you need, man.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Are we basing obsession on time spent posting? If so, I have no doubt your name rockets straight to the top.

I'm betting the word psychosis is what really triggered you. Just hope you're getting the help you need, man.

I have the basic ability to separate my dislike of a work from its author.

You're the one claiming I'm mentally ill now. What the gently caress.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I guess that's a no on the help then.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Truly posting in this thread is a sure sign of mental illness.

...oh God, no!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ulmont posted:

...oh God, no!

That... That can't be true. I couldn't have posted that much about Rothfuss... Could I? :ohdear:
God drat.

Seriously, though, when's book 3 coming out?

e: I can't believe it was 6 years ago that I read WMF. Reading some older posts, I think I may have matured as a person. Or, at the very least, a reader.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

ulmont posted:

...oh God, no!

I knew it! I'm only the second most mentally ill person here.

Take that, BOTLs.

• Locked thread