Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

rejutka posted:

Just to be a bit more of a bastard, you know you didn't mention Beak?

I didn't cry for Beak but I came drat close, there were tears welling in my eyes when HOOD HIMSELF created that special place where he could be with his brother. That poor motherfucker finally got the peace he deserved. it was the most :unsmith: thing ever. Even though he died, I feel like he got the best of endings that one can really get in Erikson's world. You won't have to tend those candles anymore little buddy. Just be there, for the brother that loves you.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

rejutka posted:

Just to be a bit more of a bastard, you know you didn't mention Beak?

:laffo:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Fenrir posted:

I didn't cry for Beak but I came drat close, there were tears welling in my eyes when HOOD HIMSELF created that special place where he could be with his brother. That poor motherfucker finally got the peace he deserved. it was the most :unsmith: thing ever. Even though he died, I feel like he got the best of endings that one can really get in Erikson's world. You won't have to tend those candles anymore little buddy. Just be there, for the brother that loves you.

It's weird how Hood changes over the series. Keep in mind I'm still stalled early on TCG but it's little things like in TtHs where he stops the guard tracking down the serial killer from having a heart attack at the end, and creating a special place for Beak rather than just letting him through the gate, how he comes to regret taking such a hand in Whiskey Jack's death. I think during TtHs where Hood lets Rake kill him, relinquishes the throne of death and returns to actual life, then seeks atonement from the remnants of the jolly Jaghut army. It's god damned weird to have the god of death grow a conscience and it happens off screen, you just see the results.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I don't think that's really something he develops, jaghut are just really inscrutable. It's heavily implied (but not actually shown yet) that hood never WANTED to be the god of death and it wasn't something he sought after but he realized that it was necessary and that he would do a good job he accepted the burden I don't have quotes or anything on that though, I think it's bits from tth rg and fod.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I can't remember who said Hood regretted taking such a personal interesting in Whiskey Jack's death. I think it might've been Raest, and on reflection, yeah, he's a totally reliable source without an agenda.

It's more Erikson showing Hood doing little things, like with the guard and Beak. Maybe Hood was doing it all along and it just wasn't shown, but in TtHs with with Hood just going, "Nope, this guard's a good man, he can live" it showed a very specific change. He interfered to keep someone from dying... although Hood was on his way to meet Rake and 'die' in a mad plan... and that was in the middle of a huge convergence with hounds wrecking houses, people dying indiscriminately from being in the wrong place/wrong time... so it was probably just Hood bending the rules in the last five minutes before he left the job for good.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Tommofork posted:

I can't remember who said Hood regretted taking such a personal interesting in Whiskey Jack's death. I think it might've been Raest, and on reflection, yeah, he's a totally reliable source without an agenda.

It's more Erikson showing Hood doing little things, like with the guard and Beak. Maybe Hood was doing it all along and it just wasn't shown, but in TtHs with with Hood just going, "Nope, this guard's a good man, he can live" it showed a very specific change. He interfered to keep someone from dying... although Hood was on his way to meet Rake and 'die' in a mad plan... and that was in the middle of a huge convergence with hounds wrecking houses, people dying indiscriminately from being in the wrong place/wrong time... so it was probably just Hood bending the rules in the last five minutes before he left the job for good.

I can't recall offhand who it was exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was another god or something, and not Raest.

Wrt Hood, I think the whole Dassem Ultor + daughter thing snapped him out of effectively a depression brought on by the combined ennui of being the god of death AND Jaghut.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Habibi posted:

I can't recall offhand who it was exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was another god or something, and not Raest.

Wrt Hood, I think the whole Dassem Ultor + daughter thing snapped him out of effectively a depression brought on by the combined ennui of being the god of death AND Jaghut.

Also we know that worshipers can affect their gods and I and imagine those that worship death aren't the most cheerful upbeat people.

Speaking of gods how did Shadowthrone get a whole religious organization started so fast and how was Quick Ben in it. He was an adult when Shadowthrone appeared. Was there just some generic shadow religion beforehand?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Yeah, pretty much.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
He took over the previous cult centered arout the Warren - IIRC Bidithal in DG and HoC was one of its former high priests. Quick Ben was, if I remember the Lostara flashback correctly, a priest who helped turn the cult to Kellanved from the inside. I assume he was already part of Bridgeburners by then and working undercover, because it'd make no sense for this to happen before the whole Raraku chase deal. Anyway, QB got out of the cult prematurely, presumably as a response to Kellanved becoming Shadowthrone. For which you can't really blame him.

e: Regarding, Hood, it'll probably be clarified (or debunked, knowing Erikson) in Fall of Light but my take on him was the he figured that the only way to beat the enemy of the Jaghut, death - and they're constantly referencing the war against death, to the point where Hood keeps an army of ghosts around - was to literally become it. By TtH he was probably bored sick with the job and decided to rope Whiskeyjack and company into it so he can return into the body he's conveniently put on ice way back when.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 20, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

He took over the previous cult centered arout the Warren - IIRC Bidithal in DG and HoC was one of its former high priests. Quick Ben was, if I remember the Lostara flashback correctly, a priest who helped turn the cult to Kellanved from the inside. I assume he was already part of Bridgeburners by then and working undercover, because it'd make no sense for this to happen before the whole Raraku chase deal. Anyway, QB got out of the cult prematurely, presumably as a response to Kellanved becoming Shadowthrone. For which you can't really blame him.

More or less, yeah. It was officially the cult of Rashan. QB had been, IIRC, a high priest before he joined the Bridgeburners, and ST, Cotillion, and he destroyed it to eliminate potential...conflicts of interest.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's the weird thing; I seem to remember Whiskeyjack telling the whole story to Rake in MoI and he mentions that QB himself was a middling mage in service of one of the rulers of the Seven Cities and didn't really become anything special until the whole soul eating business.
Of course it's QB so literally anything is possible.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Quick Ben has something of a multiple choice history.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

pile of brown posted:

I don't think that's really something he develops, jaghut are just really inscrutable. It's heavily implied (but not actually shown yet) that hood never WANTED to be the god of death and it wasn't something he sought after but he realized that it was necessary and that he would do a good job he accepted the burden I don't have quotes or anything on that though, I think it's bits from tth rg and fod.

It's definitely mentioned toward the end of TCG either when he's on the Spire with heart or when he's with the remaining Jaghut at the very end.

Isn't Ruthan Gudd really afraid of QB?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

mornhaven posted:

Isn't Ruthan Gudd really afraid of QB?

He's afraid of QB finding out who he really is, I think.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

rejutka posted:

Quick Ben has something of a multiple choice history.

This should probably be in the OP, his Wikia entry, etc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
quick ben is easily the biggest mystery of the whole series

is beak the only other person we're shown using multiple warrens?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if it counts as a person, but Hairlock used diffent stuff before he went all Chaos - which I'm assuming is the dragon warren. I think the implication is that a mage has one warren he's bound to and the price for using more than one is your sanity or intelligence. QB gets away with it because he's got a mind for each warren.

e: Also there's Rake, I guess, although I don't think we're clear on how his dragon thing works.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Jose posted:

quick ben is easily the biggest mystery of the whole series

I would enjoy reading a scene where Shadowthrone tries to start a fire magically and flips out at the result.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Jose posted:

In RG, it says the squad mages have been training in Mockra to help hide the invasion - IIRC Bottle complains it gives him a headache? Behind the scenes I guess they all leveled up in Y'Ghatan and multiclassed.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The impression I get is that Warrens are hard enough to master and dangerous enough to gently caress around with that few mages attempt learning more than the one for which they have natural affinity.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Tayschrenn, Rake, Caladan Brood... maybe Kruppe and Pust?

Edit: Oh, and Beak.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

rejutka posted:

Tayschrenn, Rake, Caladan Brood... maybe Kruppe and Pust?

Edit: Oh, and Beak.

Caladan Brood was a magician? I thought he was just a Karsa-like badass with a big hammer.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Yeah, he's a top-tier healer and Captain Motherfucker at Tennes (Stone/Earth magic)

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

rejutka posted:

Yeah, he's a top-tier healer and Captain Motherfucker at Tennes (Stone/Earth magic)

(FoD)But to be fair he's an Azathanai, who are exceptions to pretty much every rule the main series has established.

I always thought that while mages had an affinity for a single warren and usually stuck with it, most were able to learn closely-related warrens if they put in the effort. So a Meanas mage could learn Mockra or Rashan if they wanted to, a Telas mage could learn Thyr, etc.

The empire also had that imperial warren that apparently could be accessed by malazan mages.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Caladan Brood was a magician? I thought he was just a Karsa-like badass with a big hammer.

He is the Warren of Tennes.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Where are you getting that from?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

rejutka posted:

high denul motherfucker. Just like Mallet, who loving owns.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

rejutka posted:

Where are you getting that from?

A combination of FoD and, IIRC, MoI. In the latter (again, if I recall correctly), Brood mentions at one point (when discussing what his carrying Burn's hammer represents) something to the effect that he is Burn's Warren. In FoD, we discover that, I guess not unlike Dragons, each Azathanai is aspected (Draconus is Darkness, Olar Ethil is Fire. Brood is Earth, etc). It is then further implied, to my reading, that as with the Dragons, K'rul's ritual tapped into not only Warrens of a Draconian aspect - eg: Mockra, Thyr - but also those of the Azanathai. Brood's aspect, Earth, became Tennes. He is Tennes in the same way as Draconus is Kurald Galain. He is its embodiment. It was another nice bit of longterm payoff to have something from MoI suddenly...mmmm, not so much take on new meaning, as have its meaning take on a new profundity in FoD.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

IncendiaC posted:

The empire also had that imperial warren that apparently could be accessed by malazan mages.
IIRC that can really only be used for travel because it's what used to be Kallor's empire and as such is completely dead in more than one way. So it's less that it's only Malazans that can use it and more that it's only them who have a reason to use it regularly since most other warrens offer travel functions too and most other folks don't run a multiple continent-spanning empire.

Regarding the aspected warrens, it was my impression that K'rul actually made dragons the aspects - it's something the Elder Gods (I seem to recall specifically Errastas) whine about a lot. So I'd think K'rul was forced to do this in order to keep some resemblance of order in magic after whatever's going to unveil in the rest of Kharkanas trilogy - we already got a taste with Draconus setting up the Hold of Night.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 23, 2015

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

anilEhilated posted:

IIRC that can really only be used for travel because it's what used to be Kallor's empire and as such is completely dead in more than one way.

You know, you just made me consider how big Kallor's Empire must have been if the Malazans can use the imperial warren to travel drat near anywere.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

IIRC that can really only be used for travel because it's what used to be Kallor's empire and as such is completely dead in more than one way. So it's less that it's only Malazans that can use it and more that it's only them who have a reason to use it regularly since most other warrens offer travel functions too and most other folks don't run a multiple continent-spanning empire.

Oh I know. I brought it up because of the "can people use multiple warrens" discussion earlier, unless general warren travel is a generic magic thing and doesn't require an innate connection. Although now that I think about it, the imperial warren was the remains of a continent from the 'regular world' and shouldn't have any natural Aspected magic so it could be the exception to the 'limit on warrens' rule.

Also (TBH)Pearl (the Claw assassin) was trying to use Mockra, Rashan, and Imperial when he was planning his escape from Apsalar's Shadow Dance, so yeah dual related warrens don't seem to be particularly rare unless it's a weird combo like Ruse and Kurald Galain.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Habibi posted:

A combination of FoD and, IIRC, MoI. In the latter (again, if I recall correctly), Brood mentions at one point (when discussing what his carrying Burn's hammer represents) something to the effect that he is Burn's Warren. In FoD, we discover that, I guess not unlike Dragons, each Azathanai is aspected (Draconus is Darkness, Olar Ethil is Fire. Brood is Earth, etc). It is then further implied, to my reading, that as with the Dragons, K'rul's ritual tapped into not only Warrens of a Draconian aspect - eg: Mockra, Thyr - but also those of the Azanathai. Brood's aspect, Earth, became Tennes. He is Tennes in the same way as Draconus is Kurald Galain. He is its embodiment. It was another nice bit of longterm payoff to have something from MoI suddenly...mmmm, not so much take on new meaning, as have its meaning take on a new profundity in FoD.

That makes sense - K'rul's creation of the Warrens forcing dragons to aspect and, presumably, be a shade less chaotic and, either directly or in-directly, forcing the Azathanai (order) to aspect in similar fashion.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Tommofork posted:

You know, you just made me consider how big Kallor's Empire must have been if the Malazans can use the imperial warren to travel drat near anywere.

I don't think that's the case, so much as that, like other Warrens, time and space work differently in it than in the real world.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The impression I got across the series was that Kallor's Empire spanned all of what is now Assail and that after his mages effectively ruined it both by stripping all the magic from it to summon the crippled god (like that one magically dead valley they run across) and from the impact of the crippled god himself, so to make it possible for anything to live there again the elder gods basically scooped off the whole top layer of it and dumped it into the Imperial warren been a while since I've read the series now though.

Edit: VV you're totally right, I forgot about the prologue with the curses somehow.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 26, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Jacuruku and Kallor (may have been lying that) he did it himself after as the world's greatest gently caress You.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm getting to the end of TCG Gesler and Stormy are amazing. As dark as these books can get, I like them so much more than the Game of Thrones series because the humor is so much better. "Is this you, 'oh carrier of flint loving swords'? 'Oh, there's a soul stuck in the sky, let me fix that!'" Had me cracking up. I'm listening to the audiobooks so I get voices along with it and it's great.

After I finish this, should I go through the esselmont books or read FoD first? And the Bauchelein and Korbal Broach books are short stories right?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Daric posted:

I'm getting to the end of TCG Gesler and Stormy are amazing. As dark as these books can get, I like them so much more than the Game of Thrones series because the humor is so much better. "Is this you, 'oh carrier of flint loving swords'? 'Oh, there's a soul stuck in the sky, let me fix that!'" Had me cracking up. I'm listening to the audiobooks so I get voices along with it and it's great.

After I finish this, should I go through the esselmont books or read FoD first? And the Bauchelein and Korbal Broach books are short stories right?

FoD for sure, while the series is as fresh in your mind as possible. FoD regardless, really, but that's just a good reason in particular. :)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It's raining loving dragons!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daric posted:

Get into FoD as soon as you can once you finish TCG, I did the same just a few weeks ago and it's a journey worth taking. Haven't read the Esselmont books, don't plan to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My favourite Gesler and Stormy moment will always be the end of Bonehunters

"Oh, Stormy, it's for you."