Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meursault Horny
Sep 9, 2003

Kobe Bryant from the Lakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

i thought this thread moved past the whole black people doing white people things/wearing weird clothes phase it had a year ago

that was my point

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
it's kind of lame but you guys are being really loving dumb, it's snoop with a cat looking at him funny.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Crass Brown

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

happy new year

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

i'm just confused

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

het posted:

it's kind of lame but you guys are being really loving dumb, it's snoop with a cat looking at him funny.

yeah i was about to post basically this

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
get hosed, newjack

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

it continues

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
i was just at the hirschhorn a couple of days ago and saw someone try to put their hand in bowls of pearls. (i also was standing beside someone when they decided it'd be cool to feel a barnett newman). people are just dumb as gently caress, full time.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
the retrospective was pretty awesome. glad i could see "dropping a han dynasty urn" in person

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i haven't been to the hirschorn in a while. love that place.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

sector_corrector posted:

i haven't been to the hirschorn in a while. love that place.

barbara kruger's thing on the bottom floor was bad, like real bad and you gotta go through it to see mueck and the other stuff in the dark matters side exhibitions. also, unrelated, the nat musm for women in the arts also took out a floor of their (always awesome) perm collection to do this lame 'women who rock' hard rock cafe costume display thing.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that sucks. i should take another lonely depressing trip to dc to do the museums by myself and sulk.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i thought the weiwei thing was at the sackler, not the hirschorn

because i was planning on going there tomorrow

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

JehovahsWetness posted:

i was just at the hirschhorn a couple of days ago and saw someone try to put their hand in bowls of pearls. (i also was standing beside someone when they decided it'd be cool to feel a barnett newman). people are just dumb as gently caress, full time.

ugh wow

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
ppl just wanna touch

dumbskull
Mar 25, 2012

im cool
actually toucking art in museums and then acting like it hadnt ovccured to you not to do it is totally awesome, i was doing it at the tacoma glass museum last week

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
dont touch a barnett newman thats so stupid

Meursault Horny
Sep 9, 2003

I like to touch................... myself :D :D : :D :D at night :corrupt:

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
touched

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Tree Goat posted:

i thought the weiwei thing was at the sackler, not the hirschorn

because i was planning on going there tomorrow

the sackler just has a single weiwei sculpture in the lobby right now, the hirschhorn is running the big rear end weiwei exhib, zodiac heads & according to what. monkeys grasping moon and the shadow sites exhibs at the sackler are good though, and there's a lalla essaydi exhib in the african art musuem that's in the connected wing from the sackler.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
ah that makes way more sense, thanks

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
weiwei's exhibit is running till feb. 24th if anyone was wondering like i was

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Still 4 more days of CHRISTmas.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

sector_corrector posted:

weiwei's exhibit is running till feb. 24th if anyone was wondering like i was

do you want to go on the same day

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

dumbskull posted:

actually toucking art in museums and then acting like it hadnt ovccured to you not to do it is totally awesome, i was doing it at the tacoma glass museum last week

putting art that is clearly textural/tactile under glass/behind ropes/whatever is the worst art establishment thing, touch everything for the proletariat

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

stay depressed posted:

do you want to go on the same day

not really, i don't like meeting people from the internet

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

not really, i don't like meeting people from the internet

?? just go meet hi m nerd.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

mrmanatee posted:

putting art that is clearly textural/tactile under glass/behind ropes/whatever is the worst art establishment thing, touch everything for the proletariat

Juan Munoz, First Banister, 1987

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

mrmanatee posted:

1. no 2. even if that was true i think its pretty obvious that a painting isnt one of those things 3. what kind of a baby do u have to be to literally be unable to restrain yourself from running around + touching everything

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
honestly its kind of nauseating to think that the typical "serious" way to present art denies 1/5 of your sensory input without regard to artistic intent

obviously i dont run around touching everything and obviously a painting isnt going to hold up well with 1000 grubby fingers touching it every day but to me paintings are very tactile, I like being able to feel the ridges and layers and poo poo, it's a big part of the appeal of a painting vs a print.

that banister thing is really cool tho

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
when the tactile is part of the intended experience they generally will tell you

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Reichstag posted:

when the tactile is part of the intended experience they generally will tell you

yes

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
also if that's what you're looking for in a barnett newman urhm

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
i just think its sad that the default is "dont you dare touch this priceless work you philistine" and not "interact with this cool object," it encourages a really boring passive worldview and puts art on a pedestal that i dont think it has any right to

but maybe you would like to attend my performance piece in which I cover myself in motor oil and caress every single object in the MoMa (including your face + penis)???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Frankly the author is dead and if I want to Experience an Art by seeing how it feels on my tongue thats nobodys business but mine and the fact that anyone would try and stop me is proof of the fundamentally bourgeois nature of the western art establishment.

• Locked thread