Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Pretty stupid when the entire UC system would crumble without fossil fuels. Bill Gates makes a good point re: divestment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

MomJeans420 posted:

Pretty stupid when the entire UC system would crumble without fossil fuels. Bill Gates makes a good point re: divestment.

McKibben makes a good point in his NewYorker piece that since it appears that politically we won't get any meaningful action on climate change so going after the funding for coal/gas/oil exploration is the best alternative we have to make change.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/money-is-the-oxygen-on-which-the-fire-of-global-warming-burns

Unless of course you think > 6ºC warming is all good and fine.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

MomJeans420 posted:

Who is to say they won't steer that $80bn to clean techs and such? Not investing that into fossil fuels means they can direct it elsewhere.

I don't think anyone sees it as a magic bullet to solve the crisis, to do that we needed global action 30 years ago. We aren't seeing that so this seems like a win overall even if minor.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

MomJeans420 posted:

Buddy you might want to read the article you linked, it absolutely dunks on Gates’ position on this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MomJeans420 posted:

Ah yes, the Bill Gates that moaned about possibly having to pay taxes rather than only providing funding to his pet charity projects.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

No one should ever do anything good unless that thing is perfect and solves all problems.

So just sit down and starve to death.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If only fossil fuel companies were investing billions in green energy, oh wait they are. At least the UC pension fund can always be funded by increasing tuition.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

MomJeans420 posted:

If only fossil fuel companies were investing billions in green energy, oh wait they are. At least the UC pension fund can always be funded by increasing tuition.

They’re actually funding pressure groups across the US to fight the rollout of charging stations by positioning the infrastructure charges as elitist. They’re on the side of angels apparently

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

^^^ A post made by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MomJeans420 posted:

The only green thing I've seen in announcement they're investing into lubricants and cooling/heating liquids used by everything from wind turbines to electric vehicles. Which is undoubtedly a good thing and better than burning it off into the atmosphere but if that's all they did that's a completely different company.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Giving fossil fuel companies credit for investing in clean energy is like giving Jeffrey Epstein credit for being a philanthropist.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

Giving fossil fuel companies credit for investing in clean energy is like giving Jeffrey Epstein credit for being a philanthropist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQJ9GUVxPl8

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tab8715 posted:

The only green thing I've seen in announcement they're investing into lubricants and cooling/heating liquids used by everything from wind turbines to electric vehicles. Which is undoubtedly a good thing and better than burning it off into the atmosphere but if that's all they did that's a completely different company.

Some oil companies did invest in renewable energy as a response to the oil crisis in the 70s.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 22, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
The annual World Nuclear Industry Status Report (WISNR) is...not optimistic re: nuclear.

quote:

In mid-2019, new wind and solar generators competed efficiently against even existing nuclear power plants in cost terms, and grew generating capacity faster than any other power type, the annual World Nuclear Industry Status Report (WNISR) showed.
The report estimates that since 2009 the average construction time for reactors worldwide was just under 10 years, well above the estimate given by industry body the World Nuclear Association (WNA) of between 5 and 8.5 years.
The cost of generating solar power ranges from $36 to $44 per megawatt hour (MWh), the WNISR said, while onshore wind power comes in at $29–$56 per MWh. Nuclear energy costs between $112 and $189.

Over the past decade, the WNISR estimates levelized costs - which compare the total lifetime cost of building and running a plant to lifetime output - for utility-scale solar have dropped by 88% and for wind by 69%.

For nuclear, they have increased by 23%, it said.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-energy-nuclearpower/nuclear-energy-too-slow-too-expensive-to-save-climate-report-idUSKBN1W909J

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

ulmont posted:

The annual World Nuclear Industry Status Report (WISNR) is...not optimistic re: nuclear.

There isn't anything really surprising about this regarding price though? Building plants infrequently is going to lead to inflated costs.

As for speed, nothing in wind in solar has matched France's roll out of nuclear in the past to my knowledge. The only two technologies which have led to decarbonization of electric grids so far are hydro power and nuclear power. If the claim is that we can't do what we did in the past, solving climate change without resolving the societal issues preventing large construction projects is laughable. Lots of impressive sounding numbers get waved around, but few actual big picture results.

Edit: It is also misleading to compare wind costs to a decade ago, as the prices spiked around ~2008 and were much lower around ~2001.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 26, 2019

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

"The cost of generating solar power ranges from $36 to $44 per megawatt hour (MWh), the WNISR said, while onshore wind power comes in at $29–$56 per MWh. Nuclear energy costs between $112 and $189."

holy poo poo

well, sucks for nucular, but that seems like good news for solar and wind at least, right?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, cheep solar and wind is always good to see, even if I support nuclear.

I do wish that we decomidified electricity and maybe didn't make the choices of what power plants to build based on cost per megawatt and ignoring climate change and pollution as we so often do, but I also realize that this makes me a dreamer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, cheap solar and wind is awesome. But the problem is cheap solar and wind still doesn't have the density yet to end our carbon addiction. Which is where nuclear comes in.

Solar and Wind are weaning us off, but we need cold turkey, and nuclear can do that.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cheap wind and solar is awesome, and any nuclear advocate will be happy about that.

The only problem is.... Cheap wind and solar makes it easy for people to wrongly believe that we don't need other generation technology to decarbonize power generation. That's an incorrect conclusion but it's already widely believed.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Taffer posted:

Cheap wind and solar is awesome, and any nuclear advocate will be happy about that.

The only problem is.... Cheap wind and solar makes it easy for people to wrongly believe that we don't need other generation technology to decarbonize power generation. That's an incorrect conclusion but it's already widely believed.

Storage is really really really needed to get to where we want to go without nuclear. We should be dropping ridiculous amounts of money in r&d for grid storage.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Curiou

Mr Interweb posted:

"The cost of generating solar power ranges from $36 to $44 per megawatt hour (MWh), the WNISR said, while onshore wind power comes in at $29–$56 per MWh. Nuclear energy costs between $112 and $189."

holy poo poo

well, sucks for nucular, but that seems like good news for solar and wind at least, right?

Any idea how much it’s for natural gas and coal?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Storage is really really really needed to get to where we want to go without nuclear. We should be dropping ridiculous amounts of money in r&d for grid storage.

It still won't get us there. Your talking about replacing hundreds of terrawatts of generating capability, and storage is not going to add to total capacity, in fact its going to lower your renewable capacity during peak hours. Because for the most part, you are either full grid, or partially charging storage and partially grid. Storage is just shifting renewable grid capacity to times when its needed more, its not increasing capacity.

And there are places where solar and wind are not going to be able to maximize their generating potential, you are going to need to include some sort of always on baseload generation.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I mean, we could also cut down on the need for storage by massively overbuilding solar and wind capacity, and using the fair weather surplus that's many times our needs to do things like pull carbon out of the air to burry or produce gasoline to fuel vehicles out of air and water. Storage is probably more economically feasible? I'm not sure. I think there might be a break even point where it's cheeper to overbuild by maybe, 50% so you can use half the storage capacity you would normally need, if the price of storage is high. (And our current batteries should be priced high, they're not the most environmentally friendly. I do think that could change with some of the other batteries I've seen that use less rare earths, and progress is made on that front.)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
We could also just build the drat nukes already instead of sitting on our thumbs burning "temporary" natural gas for the next 30 years. That would be cool.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fishmech posted:

We could also just build the drat nukes already instead of sitting on our thumbs burning "temporary" natural gas for the next 30 years. That would be cool.

Pretty much. Renewables are making great inroads, but unless we commit to a highly dense energy source, renewables will maybe get up to 50% capacity by....what, 2035-2045? We don't have that long.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The comparison should not be between the cost of solar/wind generation and nuclear’s cost of generation.

The comparison should be about the cost of solar/wind generation and storage versus nuclear’s cost of generation.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

one would think that throwing money at any form of energy that reduces carbon output would be a good thing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

perfect being enemy of good and all

BUILD MORE POWER PLANTS

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The comparison should not be between the cost of solar/wind generation and nuclear’s cost of generation.

The comparison should be about the cost of solar/wind generation and storage versus nuclear’s cost of generation.

This is the problem, at least where I live. Peak usage in socal is right when people get home from work in the summer, which is right as solar drops off.

Re: the nuclear report - the authors are known to be strongly anti-nuclear, people more knowledgeable than I can chime in about their worst case assumptions. I don't have specific complaints because I'm not going to bother reading it, but something to keep in mind. That said, nuclear is really expensive to build in the US, but if the country decided to subsidize one standard design and do a slow roll out, you could get the cost down. You'd also need some kind of legislation passed to allow you to get past all the random lawsuits you'd face.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
If we had a nationwide grid that didn't have to be in frequency sync, storage would be less of an issue. The swath of land from Texas to Canada is wind energy central and turbines don't take out food producing lands (you can farm around them)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Here's a question I've been wondering if anybody would like to educate me: is running fuel cells off of hydrocarbons a viable solution? Alternately, could you get the hydrogen out of the hydrocarbons and have something usable left over?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Here's a question I've been wondering if anybody would like to educate me: is running fuel cells off of hydrocarbons a viable solution? Alternately, could you get the hydrogen out of the hydrocarbons and have something usable left over?

I've seen methanol fuel cells so it may be possible but I suggest we just leave that stuff in the ground.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's quite possible but various petrochemical fuels have things in them that poison the reaction fuel cells use, making them hard to do compared to just burning the fuel for power.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Here's a question I've been wondering if anybody would like to educate me: is running fuel cells off of hydrocarbons a viable solution?

A solution to what? Yes, there are fuel cells that run off of hydrocarbons.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you got the hydrogen out of hydrocarbons, you still have carbon left over, which has to go somewhere. So why bother? Hydrocarbons essentially go ( Hydrocarbon + O2 -> CO2 + H2O ) when you extract energy from them no matter how you do it (in real life incomplete reactions and impure fuel mean you a little bit of stuff like ozone and carbon monoxide and sulfur and nitrogen compounds also). If you cracked them and pulled out the hydrogen to burn with oxygen and make a "clean" reaction, you'd still have CO2 as a result from the first step instead of the last step. If you want to reduce the CO2 into coal/graphite, you'd use up all the energy you were extracting and it makes the exercise pointless.

It's carbon-neutral if you create the fuel from water and atmospheric CO2, but that's only useful as a storage medium, and not a very efficient one. If we want to reduce CO2 in the atmosphere, we have to extract it from the atmosphere and store it as hydrocarbons or biomass, and then leave it in the biosphere, unused, which costs energy, full stop.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is air travel just completely worthless in a carbon neutral world? Even biofuels still emit carbon.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

A solution to what? Yes, there are fuel cells that run off of hydrocarbons.

Less carbon emissions.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Tab8715 posted:

Is air travel just completely worthless in a carbon neutral world? Even biofuels still emit carbon.
In hypothetical gay space utopia, a massive green power grid powers chemical plants that suck carbon out of the atmosphere to create hydrocarbons that vehicles and manufacturers and rocket ships use, which is still carbon neutral, it just takes even more excess carbon-free power generation than we currently need.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tab8715 posted:

In a carbon *neutral* world, aircraft are fine, because you are offsetting the emissions elsewhere. In a world with no carbon emissions, all aircraft (save airships, which as I never tire of pointing out, would work really well with hydrogen fuel cells) are going to have problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

In a carbon *neutral* world, aircraft are fine, because you are offsetting the emissions elsewhere. In a world with no carbon emissions, all aircraft (save airships, which as I never tire of pointing out, would work really well with hydrogen fuel cells) are going to have problems.

So say you create anhydrous ammonia or even a carbon based fuel from hydrogen produced by renewables and run aircraft on that?