Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Binary Badger posted:

For those of you dodging clown punches with Canon's latest beginner level mirrorless, the EOS M50, there is now a firmware update.. v.1.0.1 to be exact.

Here's the release notes:

No faster AF, no tweaks to 4K mode, just oh hey I can see the images better on my smartphoney. Sigh.

Meanwhile Nikon have just moved into the full-frame mirrorless game. I'm not entirely sure what Canon think they're playing at, but if their strategy is "go the way of Kodak" then job well done I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The scarier part for canon should be how good the new Nikon EVILs are for video.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

rolleyes posted:

Meanwhile Nikon have just moved into the full-frame mirrorless game. I'm not entirely sure what Canon think they're playing at, but if their strategy is "go the way of Kodak" then job well done I suppose.

tbf i don’t see a performance reason other than “i have tons of nikon glass and want maximum adapter compatibility” to buy a nikon z over a sony a7riii or a9.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Are inter-brand adapters not that good yet? i.e. even with the mounting flexibility that mirrorless bodies can offer, mixing and matching cameras and glass across brands still doesn’t work that well?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

President Beep posted:

Are inter-brand adapters not that good yet? i.e. even with the mounting flexibility that mirrorless bodies can offer, mixing and matching cameras and glass across brands still doesn’t work that well?

Any dipshit with an oscilloscope, an extension tube cut open to connect up the wires, and a kit lens can decode most of the serial communications between camera and lens. Basic functionality in terms of “camera tells lens to do X, lens does X” is fully available. There is a general impression that outside the best and most mature adapters (ie EF-Sony) there’s still some advantage in AF for native lenses, partially because for ultrasonic motors you basically have to have a sample of each lens and tune the focus parameters by hand calibrating them, maybe there’s also some additional fudges for particular lenses hardcoded into the camera.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

suck my woke dick posted:

Any dipshit with an oscilloscope, an extension tube cut open to connect up the wires, and a kit lens can decode most of the serial communications between camera and lens. Basic functionality in terms of “camera tells lens to do X, lens does X” is fully available. There is a general impression that outside the best and most mature adapters (ie EF-Sony) there’s still some advantage in AF for native lenses, partially because for ultrasonic motors you basically have to have a sample of each lens and tune the focus parameters by hand calibrating them, maybe there’s also some additional fudges for particular lenses hardcoded into the camera.

Neat. It's cool that jumping body manufacturers can be done with mirrorless without necessarily having to ditch all of your glass and start over. Looking at the Canon to Sony scenario, does the image stabilization at the lens still work, or does that just go inert and it's handled by the body?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The thing with most glass is that if you buy used you can rent for practically free, so you might as well get the stuff that autofocuses properly.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

quote:

Canon announcements for September 5, 2018

Canon EOS R body
Canon EOS R w/24-105mm f/4L kit
Canon BG-E22
Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 M IS
Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM
Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM
Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L USM
Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III
Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III
FML

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Fondle Mega Lens?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Couldn't make it f/1.8? Are you even trying, Cannon?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Fondle Mega Lens?
What else are you going to do with it?

Oh well, time to switch to rice and beans for the next year I guess.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm excited if they cause any sort of drop in the price of the older big teles. It's mostly weight reduction on these mark 3's right?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I thought the new 70-200 2.8 had some new lens coatings or something. Didn’t sound too exciting.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Looking forward to learning more about this R system. If it’s any good that might be my long-ish term purchase goal.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm excited if they cause any sort of drop in the price of the older big teles. It's mostly weight reduction on these mark 3's right?
I honestly have no idea what is coming. If it's that 600mm DO that they showed a prototype of years ago then it's a significant size difference as well (basically same size as a 300mm f/2.8). Considering I'm still lugging around a 600mm v I it would have a massive upgrade.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

President Beep posted:

I thought the new 70-200 2.8 had some new lens coatings or something. Didn’t sound too exciting.

Lenrentals posted a teardown this week, the III is identical to the II except for those coatings.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/08/lens-teardowns-and-comparisons-of-the-canon-70-200mm-f2-8-is-ii-and-iii/

Most interesting revelation to me is that the weather sealing is basically hockey sock tape. If it works it ain't stupid but I am now disassembling all my gear and sealing the gaps with hockey tape for a free upgrade.

Watch the changes to all these two more version 3's be similar coating updates. :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The rumors flying around about the R/RF system are utterly stupid and wonderful in the best way, and next Wednesday will both be happy (to see confirmations) and a bit of a killjoy (because we get confirmations).

I’m especially eager to hear about the EF-M prime and what the cost might be.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
I'm headed on a 3 week trip to New Zealand in February. The fiance is letting me go a bit nuts on glass and a new body with the one caveat that I need to deliver on a photo of a penguin (to which I plan on leveraging to my first white lens) I am not about to look this gift horse in the mouth and have been lusting after a FF body since the 5d II and especially lately as my 7D is feeling a bit long in the tooth. I have mostly crop only lenses (17-50 2.8, 10-20 etc) at this point, with the exception of a nifty 50 and a 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma. I had initially thought the 6D2 was my easy goto answer paired with a glass investment in a 24-70 2.8L II and a 70-200 2.8L IS II. The past ten pages here and many of the online reviews are not very fond of the 6d2.

From what I can tell a 6D is about $1600. It's almost double to jump up to the $3100 for the 5D4.
Am I reading too much into the DPReview analysis? I'd like to be able to shoot video but it's not a decision factor for me. I am much more concerned about image quality, noise, and dynamic range - hence my concern.

Should I splurge on the 5d4? Is the 6D2 still a worthy option?

In the last 15 years I've figured it's best to ask for only one piece of advice per post. So what body should I choose? Once I figure that out, I'll change topics to lenses. I was thinking about renting some other (wide) stuff for the trip.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
6D + 400mm 5.6 L (used) because you need that penguin. Also get the 70-200 2.8 IS L as a backup in case the penguin charges your position. It's the only way to be sure.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

KennyG posted:

crop only lenses (17-50 2.8, 10-20 etc)

is this an actual, accepted, reasonable statement

also props to op for totally misunderstanding the gift horse cliche

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is this an actual, accepted, reasonable statement

The 17-50 2.8 is EF-s mount. As is the 10-20. Did I miss something where Canon removed the physical limitation of EF-s not working on EF mount cameras?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The Sigma and Tamron versions of the 17-50 are both EF mount (because they make all of their Canon lenses in the EF mount, even APS-C only lenses). You can mount them on a FF body but the image circle is not big enough so you get crazy vignetting.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

KennyG posted:

I'm headed on a 3 week trip to New Zealand in February. The fiance is letting me go a bit nuts on glass and a new body with the one caveat that I need to deliver on a photo of a penguin (to which I plan on leveraging to my first white lens) I am not about to look this gift horse in the mouth and have been lusting after a FF body since the 5d II and especially lately as my 7D is feeling a bit long in the tooth. I have mostly crop only lenses (17-50 2.8, 10-20 etc) at this point, with the exception of a nifty 50 and a 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma. I had initially thought the 6D2 was my easy goto answer paired with a glass investment in a 24-70 2.8L II and a 70-200 2.8L IS II. The past ten pages here and many of the online reviews are not very fond of the 6d2.

From what I can tell a 6D is about $1600. It's almost double to jump up to the $3100 for the 5D4.
Am I reading too much into the DPReview analysis? I'd like to be able to shoot video but it's not a decision factor for me. I am much more concerned about image quality, noise, and dynamic range - hence my concern.

Should I splurge on the 5d4? Is the 6D2 still a worthy option?

In the last 15 years I've figured it's best to ask for only one piece of advice per post. So what body should I choose? Once I figure that out, I'll change topics to lenses. I was thinking about renting some other (wide) stuff for the trip.

The real knock on the 6D2 is that it's a little more expensive than it deserves to be. The biggest drawback on it is the autofocus system, which lacks sophistication and doesn't cover a whole lot of the frame with points, so you end up needing to focus and recompose sometimes. I have an original 6D that I use as a second body to my 5D3, especially during weddings, and when it gets dark I do know the 6D just won't focus as well as the 5D3. That said, the 6D2 does improve on the 6D's autofocus a good deal, with a bunch more focus points and all of them being cross-type rather than just the center point.

When my 5D3 needed repair, though, I did rent a 5D4 and it is one hell of a camera. The dynamic range and noise levels are pretty outstanding, and will be objectively better than the 6D2 especially if you bring up shadows in post.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

That new 28-70 f2 lens they have coming for the new R system looks reeeeaaaal enticing.

Would it work on a sony a7iii with a metabones adaptor?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's very unlikely there will ever be a RF to E mount adaptor. The flange distance is only 2mm longer than E-Mount which isn't much to work with. The bigger issue is that the RF mount is 54mm diameter so the rear elements of RF lenses won't fit in to E Mount's 46mm diameter without hitting the sides. Any adaptor would need to have optical elements to increase the flange distance.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

InternetJunky posted:

quote:

Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III

FML

2 lbs lighter :stare:

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I'm thinking about getting a 1.4x extender for my 70-200mm f/2.8L, are there any non-Canon versions I should be looking at?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Cross-posting from the mirrorless thread:

Canon's full frame mirrorless system was officially announced today.

Things that jumped out at me:
$2300 for the body, $100 for the EF -> R adapter
5 fps burst rate if you want servo AF during it, which, who doesn't? 8 fps without AF
Video is hit and miss: no 1080p at 120fps like the A7III -- it maxes out at 60fps -- though there is 4k @ 30fps in a useable codec with Canon Log internally, and 10 bit 4:2:2 via HDMI. Caveat: 4K is with a 1.7x crop.

That said, the focus system and controls look pretty dope, and it's sounding like adapted lenses work really well.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’d hope that their first party adapter would work well. Sounds like the single card slot is going to make this unsuitable for a lot of professionals though. As a hobbyist I could live with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how it has a proper flippy screen unlike the ones Nikon just announced, so I guess that's someething.

Not a fan of the top LCD screen but maybe it's fine in person. I don't like things glowing all the time.

Bluetooth onboard is nice too.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I can see myself snagging a used one in a few year’s time. Wonder if they’ll release a higher end companion model, kind of like the 6D/5D relationship.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The new mount does seem really clever, you don't have to throw away your old lenses and can buy into the new system too.

The adapter for EF mount lets you put filters in it which might be a gimmick but I like.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
The adapter having drop-in filter is genius and will be great for video work. There's similar ones for e-mount adapters where they put a variable ND in it. Unfortunately that's about the only thing that's exciting for me over other cameras, which is sad.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

EVF + focus peaking + 5D4 sensor in a compact body is exactly what I've been looking for. I might pick this up on release.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Bubbacub posted:

2 lbs lighter :stare:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying it now. Going from a version 1 to 3 is just too much of an upgrade now. If it was just new lens coatings I could maybe stay away, but a 25% weight reduction is game breaking for that lens.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

EVF + focus peaking + 5D4 sensor in a compact body is exactly what I've been looking for. I might pick this up on release.

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-r-visual-size-comparison-against-the-sony-a7-iii-and-nikon-z6/

It's a bit bigger than the Z6 and A7 III.

A bit smaller than the 5d4 though.. about 1cm width, 2cm height tinier.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

The new mount does seem really clever, you don't have to throw away your old lenses and can buy into the new system too.

The adapter for EF mount lets you put filters in it which might be a gimmick but I like.

There’s actually three adapters:

• Plain ol’ normal adapter
  • Adapter plus aperture/control ring
  • Adapter with Drop-in filter

The others are a little more expensive than the standard one, but still. Kinda crazy they have three available so soon.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

what is the point of putting extra controls on every RF lens? to me it just sounds like it would make lenses more expensive

e: i just realized it might be an easy way to lock out third party lens makers via patents. that's still the only thing i can think of though

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

harperdc posted:

There’s actually three adapters:

• Plain ol’ normal adapter
  • Adapter plus aperture/control ring
  • Adapter with Drop-in filter

The others are a little more expensive than the standard one, but still. Kinda crazy they have three available so soon.
A little?

Plain - $100
With added control $200
With drop in CPL filter $300
With drop in Variable MD $400.

The cost of the one with the drop in filters follows the over the top pricing of their drop-in filter holders for their telephotos. More users of their telephotos would probably make use of the functionality if they didn't want $110 for a tiny holder or $230 for the one with a CPL. Sadly there's never been any third party equivalents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

what is the point of putting extra controls on every RF lens? to me it just sounds like it would make lenses more expensive

e: i just realized it might be an easy way to lock out third party lens makers via patents. that's still the only thing i can think of though

I think it's an interesting idea, you got a hand on the lens anyways so why not give those fingers something to do? We're pretty much always shooting with AF on so it's not like that hand is busy. It's fair to argue it's a problem looking for a solution but it seems like the sort of thing I could grow to appreciate.

But yes if it throws a wrench into the plans of third party lens makers, that's a clear win for Canon.

My biggest beef with the control ring adapter is it seems like it puts the ring awkwardly close to the camera body. I'd be rotating it with my pinky.