Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DarkHorse posted:

Get on Teedo's level

Which one, looks likes he’s on two already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Boudicca also mastered the opposite.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Radiation Cow posted:

Boudicca also mastered the opposite.

This doesn't count, she is clearly guardian a delicious food item, not resting

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie got her corns laser treated again today. In January she had 7 total, this time she only had 3 and they weren’t as severe. The vet said this was really good. You have to dig deep enough with the laser (or whatever method you use) to get at the root of the corn, so it’s not uncommon for some of them to come back. Last time she was a limping mess for several weeks after the treatment but she’s almost walking normally today (maybe a bit gingerly). Hopefully the other three don’t come back this time!!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

david_a posted:

Katie got her corns laser treated again today. In January she had 7 total, this time she only had 3 and they weren’t as severe. The vet said this was really good. You have to dig deep enough with the laser (or whatever method you use) to get at the root of the corn, so it’s not uncommon for some of them to come back. Last time she was a limping mess for several weeks after the treatment but she’s almost walking normally today (maybe a bit gingerly). Hopefully the other three don’t come back this time!!

This is good news! I noticed one on Hazel the other day but doesn’t seem to be affecting her. I’ll get the vet to check at her annual check up which should be in a couple of months.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Well I spoke too soon. Maybe she was still feeling the effects of the anesthesia on Thursday so it wasn’t bothering her that much. Starting Friday she’s a limping mess. She just lifts her paws up (if she could lift all three treated paws she would) and gives me a pleading, helpless look with those big eyes of her. I have to carry her up and down the stairs and out to the grass.

She tagged along during some errands yesterday. We went to the local park where there’s a big flat grassy field to walk limp around in, but she of course wanted to walk on the hot asphalt to the exciting part of her park. She wondered why I was denying her all joy in life when I refused.

I had also bought a single dose of Simparica Trio to see if that agreed with her but nope, I think we’re gonna stick with the topical. I had to crush it up and mix it with peanut butter to get her to take it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

[timg]

Piper says she makes a great guarddog/doorstopper

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nobble

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

AtomikKrab posted:

[timg]

Piper says she makes a great guarddog/doorstopper

Someone stole your dog's neck!!!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

Someone stole your dog's neck!!!

no, they stole her shoulders, she is very two dimensional and snake like

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Boudicca scared the bejesus out of us last night. I got woken up at around 3am by Gello, who wanted her blankie. At the same time, I checked up on Boudicca and saw she was lying in a pool of what I assumed was pee.

It wasn't; it was blood. Took me about 10 minutes to find the source of the bleeding, and by that time her entire back half was soaked, was was the couch and carpet. One of her skin cancer tumours had burst. Got her bandaged up and off to the vet, and then spent the next few hours worrying about surgery, since she's 12.

Luckily, she came out of the incident no worse for wear and a few tumours lighter. And I got the excuse I needed for a full house spring cleaning.

I love this dog so much and even the smallest reminder of her mortality is not something I want to consider.

Pictured below: a 100% sober dog

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
That's terrifying Rad Cow, glad she's okay

We always have to lift Watson's head up to put something under it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh wow, that's frightening news, RC! Wow, that must've been awful, in the moment :gonk: I'm glad to hear she came out of it OK though, that's for sure!

And regarding Watson, hah, yeah we need to do the same with Tazo. I don't know why he always does it (I mean, in summer sure, as the floor is cold) but he always makes happy noises and looks up at me out the corner of his eye, when I give him a pillow

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
That's awful RC, glad everything turned out ok :gonk:

This is the face of an oatmeal thief:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Always scary when they need medical attention! :ohdear: Glad it was nothing major.

Edit: oatmeal!? I don’t think Katie would touch it with a ten foot pole

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

glad to hear she is okay!

i'm out of a town for a few days and bailey is staying with two other black greyhounds! lol at the face

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Thanks guys. I don't think Boudicca actually realised anything was wrong, and she's already bounced back from the surgery and is back to barking at us for food.

Lovely to see all the doggos in the thread. :kimchi: Especially Bailey's horrified face, I'm sure Gello's pulled the exact same expression while accepting a treat many times.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Had our own scare with Doggles on Wednesday. He suddenly lost control of the back half of his body, including his bowels. He was flopping across the room trying to get up but his hind legs wouldn't work. Normally he screams bloody murder when the slightest thing is wrong but he wasn't vocalizing at all. We had to get him on a blanket to carry him into the car and then he was carted into the e-vet. Vet couldn't find anything wrong, he thinks maybe he has a spine or nerve issue but the x-rays all turned out fine. Two hours later he was completely back to normal. I was about to pick him up to set him into the car and he just immediately jumped right in, clearing about 2.5 feet between the ground and the car.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

bamhand posted:

Had our own scare with Doggles on Wednesday. He suddenly lost control of the back half of his body, including his bowels. He was flopping across the room trying to get up but his hind legs wouldn't work. Normally he screams bloody murder when the slightest thing is wrong but he wasn't vocalizing at all. We had to get him on a blanket to carry him into the car and then he was carted into the e-vet. Vet couldn't find anything wrong, he thinks maybe he has a spine or nerve issue but the x-rays all turned out fine. Two hours later he was completely back to normal. I was about to pick him up to set him into the car and he just immediately jumped right in, clearing about 2.5 feet between the ground and the car.

That is really scary, my parent’s dog Lucy had similar symptoms in May. For the past few years she would occasionally have “bad days” where her back was hunched and she was in horrible pain, but she came out of it in a day or two and seemed back to normal. The latest time she… didn’t. No pain, but she had zero control of her rear half.

To properly diagnose spinal things like intervertebral disc disease or something similar you need an MRI; an x-ray won’t show anything. We decided not to get one because they quoted $4,000 and it wouldn’t really have changed anything - they said she seemed a poor candidate for spinal surgery, which would have been another $4,000 with a fairly low chance of success.

Lucy has been on a slow and steady rehabilitation path since then. The people who took her over have put in a lot of work with her though - acupuncture, rehab, etc. Everyone says her recovery is amazing and she can walk again on all fours (with considerable effort) and has regained control of her bowels, but she’s still a bit wobbly.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah he'll have some days where's he's whimpering as he's laying there but is still generally able to get around and stuff. It's not really clear what the specific action is that causes him pain. Then the next day he'll be completely back to normal. It's tough when they can't explain what the issue is.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Radiation Cow posted:

Boudicca scared the bejesus out of us last night. I got woken up at around 3am by Gello, who wanted her blankie. At the same time, I checked up on Boudicca and saw she was lying in a pool of what I assumed was pee.

It wasn't; it was blood. Took me about 10 minutes to find the source of the bleeding, and by that time her entire back half was soaked, was was the couch and carpet. One of her skin cancer tumours had burst. Got her bandaged up and off to the vet, and then spent the next few hours worrying about surgery, since she's 12.

Luckily, she came out of the incident no worse for wear and a few tumours lighter. And I got the excuse I needed for a full house spring cleaning.

I love this dog so much and even the smallest reminder of her mortality is not something I want to consider.

Pictured below: a 100% sober dog

That is a royal bed!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bamhand posted:

Oh wow - that must've been terrifying! (Except the great relief at the end, anyway!)

In other news, Opal's got corns again of course. For a chuckle, here's a pic of her waiting for food while balmed-up and in her booties. She hates having her shoes on, so she tries getting them off if left alone. Otherwise she just windmill-walks (her hind legs, anyway) around the place and is mopey

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

That is a royal bed!

Well, she is a queen.

Do you think Opal will ever get used to her booties? Or do you have windmill video footage?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

another one from Bailey's visit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

Do you think Opal will ever get used to her booties? Or do you have windmill video footage?

Ahh, yeah unfortunately (well, for us) she does end up getting used to it fairly quickly, each time they go on. She's going without her booties today as I'm at work, but I'll see if I can get a quick vid next time I put them on her, to show you :D

actionjackson posted:

another one from Bailey's visit

Ahh, you gotta love a group of alert black greys! :3:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
rip ur knees

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

POV: you are about to be run over.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Gello's developed a severe limp. She's had a transient muscle spasm thing for the past month or so, but last weekend she got knocked while playing and now it's turned into a full-on limp. Heading off to the physio today for a full assessment, hoping it's something muscle-related and not more serious.

Is there anything sadder than a greyhound that doesn't want to run?

Edit: Physio confirmed a pulled muscle. Therapy includes complete rest, icing, and laser therapy. And laser equals doggles.

Radiation Cow fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 19, 2023

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Poor Gello, but omg that photo is hilarious.

What were the symptoms of the muscle spasms? Watson gets a shaky quad every once in a while, which he stares at like it's betraying him.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Right? I feel bad for finding it funny, but there's just something about a bicycle seat with goggles that tickles the funny bone.

Her spasms first started as things that happened after the first major run of a walk. After she ran, she'd stop, put her leg up, and whine. I noticed ripples in the muscles, and if I pressed down on them and rubbed them out, they'd stop and she'd be fine.

The difficulty is that she's pulled one of the major shoulder muscles (the supraspinatus), and that almost never gets a rest. Which is why our treatment of shorter walks and anti-inflammatories wasn't helping. She needs complete and total rest for at least a week, preferably two. And then of course, making sure she doesn't go haring off once she feels better.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
At least it’s “just” a pulled muscle, could be worse. Poor Gello :( She looks like she’s ready for warp speed with those googles though

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bailey had a great yearly checkup!

also there are greyhounds in this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_VbqvWRCkI

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Disappointed they are not featured in the way this Borzoi is featured in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a90vXD9Kllk

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It’s still kinda hot down here in KY so Katie got warm when we took our after-lunch walk. I found her afterwards like this:

I couldn’t figure out why this spot was all that cooler compared to anywhere else (other than being darker) until I noticed she’s pressed her back up against the washer. That bottom part is sheet metal and kinda cool to the touch, so she’s using it as a giant radiator.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

david_a posted:

It’s still kinda hot down here in KY so Katie got warm when we took our after-lunch walk. I found her afterwards like this:

I couldn’t figure out why this spot was all that cooler compared to anywhere else (other than being darker) until I noticed she’s pressed her back up against the washer. That bottom part is sheet metal and kinda cool to the touch, so she’s using it as a giant radiator.

We have tile floors in my basement and also my sunroom, Piper loves to sprawl out on them where she can dump heat. And in the sunroom during bright clear days she finds the spots in the open for basking, then the shade for cooldown.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

AtomikKrab posted:

We have tile floors in my basement and also my sunroom, Piper loves to sprawl out on them where she can dump heat. And in the sunroom during bright clear days she finds the spots in the open for basking, then the shade for cooldown.

Yeah at home in my apartment she lays down on the vinyl floor in the bathroom to cool down. I just didn’t realize she was bright enough to snuggle up to something cooler to shed heat

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm just curious, for how long do you leave your dogs alone? I've gotten the feeling that leaving your dog at home for a whole 8-9 hour work day is quite common in the US.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm just curious, for how long do you leave your dogs alone? I've gotten the feeling that leaving your dog at home for a whole 8-9 hour work day is quite common in the US.

I did that with Abby, but not all greyhounds are suited to that. I know with my group the fosters categorize them based on how long they can be by themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
That's what we did pre-pandemic.