Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GodFish posted:

can someone with photoshop skills edit all of these flowers into little clevin heads?

You'll have to wait until BravestoftheLambs gets off probation, I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Im so so at photoshop but I tried.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

MREBoy posted:

:golfclap:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

MREBoy posted:

That's excellent and you should feel real good about yourself :glomp:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MREBoy posted:

Flesh Forge posted:

That's excellent and you should feel real good about yourself :glomp:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What do you think does Clevin smell like? Just a thought experiment. For fun.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Damp grass and moss.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Dollar store cologne, the same brand a parent bought for him the first time he tried to ask out a girl as an adolescent and to this day he heavily sprays himself with before he goes out anywhere.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Soap and fear

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Tweed

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Weed

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Twee

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

fake professor's semen

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Nothing.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Fear.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
He actually has the superpower of never smelling like anything ever, he has the power of blandness

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It sure smells Clevin in here.

*opens window*

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
For his fifth labor, Clevin entered the Augean Stables and the horse poo poo spontaneously started smelling like roses.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
As someone who wants to break into this field reading this comic that has made it, let me just say the following:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why do you want to break into bad webcomics?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Breaking Bad Webcomics

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ManlyGrunting posted:

As someone who wants to break into this field reading this comic that has made it

I'ma serious post in response to this: have a plan, both for your comic and how you're going to advertise. Make sure you know the ending to comic and have a rough plan for getting there before you start. You don't have to plot every means to get yourself to that ending (even though it does help), but it's easy to spot when a comic is working for something and has a plan in mind. It's probably better to write short comics with a clear ending than get stuck on a meandering train to nowhere.

SFP had an early "end point" in mind and was good when it was working towards it (the in-jail showdown with Cleaver).

SFP became bad afterwards because the writer didn't know where to take it and has just been running on stream-of-consciousness, memes, and momentum while they wait for lightning to strike again.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'ma serious post in response to this: have a plan, both for your comic and how you're going to advertise. Make sure you know the ending to comic and have a rough plan for getting there before you start. You don't have to plot every means to get yourself to that ending (even though it does help), but it's easy to spot when a comic is working for something and has a plan in mind. It's probably better to write short comics with a clear ending than get stuck on a meandering train to nowhere.

SFP had an early "end point" in mind and was good when it was working towards it (the in-jail showdown with Cleaver).

SFP became bad afterwards because the writer didn't know where to take it and has just been running on stream-of-consciousness, memes, and momentum while they wait for lightning to strike again.

There's likely some kind of "end" scenario the writer guy wants to reach, either the grimdark future where Allison becomes an indestructible super villain after Patrick makes her see it's the only way to "save" humanity (not likely), or a saccharine ending where she "saves" the world through nonprofits and political lobbying in some vague manner because the writer of the comic doesn't have enough knowledge on those topics to provide concrete details (what will probably happen). The beats in between read like he has some concept going in but didn't work out the details, so instead we get 25 pages of ethical mumblings in a park.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ManlyGrunting posted:

As someone who wants to break into this field reading this comic that has made it, let me just say the following:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Read It Hurts instead, imo.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
What has Allison even done to set this thing up? She's talked to some people, purchased some office space, and hired an accountant, and thrown a party. Is that it? I know it isn't super compelling, but shouldn't we have seen some panels of her, you know, applying for grants, or soliciting donations, or hiring people? Or even researching how to build an organization like this? There's literally nothing there yet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

That was my real suggestion.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

What has Allison even done to set this thing up? She's talked to some people, purchased some office space, and hired an accountant, and thrown a party. Is that it? I know it isn't super compelling, but shouldn't we have seen some panels of her, you know, applying for grants, or soliciting donations, or hiring people? Or even researching how to build an organization like this? There's literally nothing there yet.

No lol that would require work. This comic isn't about doing work. It's about self-gratification and edit: clevin

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 23, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Paladin does all this, I reckon. Rape Uber or whatever was kind of Allison's idea, so that's the only reason she still keeps her around.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Any scammer trying to leech investor capital could do what little she's been shown doing so far.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Paladinus posted:

I did, and that is no joke one of the best webcomics ever made.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Typical Pubbie posted:

No lol that would require work. This comic isn't about doing work. It's about self-gratification and edit: clevin

This reminded me of something the comic is, I guess, supposed to be about : Being the one with all this power and privilege and not knowing how to change the world.

Allison isn't just Superman But Ineffectual - she's always been smart, physically able, raised in a loving family, white, upper-middle-class. She finds it easy to do the right thing because she's never been in a situation where she personally would pay the price for doing so. She's a cipher of the author, and moreover, of all of us who are well-intentioned privileged types. The comic is to some degree a metaphor for how hard it can be to figure out how to actually use what you're given to make the world a better place, and how easy it is to not understand people who face harder challenges. Allison characterizes what in Sartre's Age of Reason is called a bourgeoisie spirit, a fundamentally middle-class and conventional personality even when more radical ideals are being held up. This isn't to say that middle class types can't be progressive or radical, but there are interesting tensions there, and Allison was someone trying to find a way to get beyond that (while having a massive savior complex over being a rich brilliant white person deigning to save the world, of course). She's so used to a certain kind of assumption of safety and power that it distorts her behavior.

And, because everything comes back to Clevin, like some kind of vacuous mobius strip, Clevin is the opposite of this - and so he robs the narrative of purpose.

Clevin is the 'woke boyfriend' who is safe, unchallenging, politically positive but not associated with any attempt to organize outside of his incredibly diverse band*. He is a child of privilege, or at least appears to be one, on par with Allison's background, but he has no anxiety to overcome. He's doing something politically useful (the fundraiser) without having to actually confront his own failings, he's a Nice Guy, he's the easy answer to the question of 'when life gives you so much, how do you give back?' You do it by being you, baby, by being slightly unconventional and doing some good on a personal level and being nice. That's it, that's the answer, and if you noticed that it fixes nothing but your conscience in the long run, way to go!

He's the death of this comic. Because he offers a conventional, uninteresting, unchallenging definition of Doing The Most You Can. He's bourgeoisie as all hell and has no interest in confronting its own shallowness. He is an option to just... not bother really doing anything. And of course he appears alongside Project Valkyrie, aka Uber But For Feminism. Because Valkyrie is absolutely a project that does less than it wants to think, that does something useful but can't possibly be more than a drop in the bucket, and is hugely pleased with itself to do so. Clevin running a GoFundMe party for someone's mom is precisely the same: Small projects that do, legitimately, do good, but completely ignore the systemic issues that makes the small projects necessary a thousand times over.

Of course, what's really weird about all this is that Clevin started off incredibly un-woke. Remember his now-murdered buddy, a literal rapist? Clevin remains the guy who was friends with a date rapist and never thought anything was wrong until it was on the news. He's not himself a predator, but he clearly won't recognize or oppose predators in his social circles. He was a figure of ineffective good intentions letting horrors slide. He still is. Clevin is the moral death of this comic; as long as he is at its center and not complicated in some way, it can only get worse.

*also how telling is it that he has a multiethnic group of friends in his band but none of them get any spoken lines except him? I think it's very telling. Then again I don't want to meet anyone who willingly hangs out with Clevin.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

And, because everything comes back to Clevin, like some kind of vacuous mobius strip, Clevin is the opposite of this - and so he robs the narrative of purpose.

Clevin is the 'woke boyfriend' who is safe, unchallenging, politically positive but not associated with any attempt to organize outside of his incredibly diverse band*. He is a child of privilege, or at least appears to be one, on par with Allison's background, but he has no anxiety to overcome. He's doing something politically useful (the fundraiser) without having to actually confront his own failings, he's a Nice Guy, he's the easy answer to the question of 'when life gives you so much, how do you give back?' You do it by being you, baby, by being slightly unconventional and doing some good on a personal level and being nice. That's it, that's the answer, and if you noticed that it fixes nothing but your conscience in the long run, way to go!

He's the death of this comic. Because he offers a conventional, uninteresting, unchallenging definition of Doing The Most You Can. He's bourgeoisie as all hell and has no interest in confronting its own shallowness. He is an option to just... not bother really doing anything.

And that is why he's going to die, on the very next page.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Initially I thought Clevin would get killed off by Patrick to show reaffirm him as evil and petty but now he'd probably just see into Clevin's mind, declare that Clevin is great and a perfect romantic match for Allison, admit his conspiracy stuff was all lies, and go turn himself in.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Man that's better text analysis than the comic deserves.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Cat Mattress posted:

Consider it my way of justifying still reading the Clevin Comic, formerly known as Strong Female Protagonist. The text rapidly developing from being about the author's perception of his own weaknesses to being the absolute encapsulation of those selfsame weaknesses is much more interesting than the actual plot at this point.

EDIT: At this point, isn't the whole 'invisible woman murders Clevin's buddy the date rapist and stabs Clevin' basically a Meet Cute for Clevin and Allison? Like, it put them on track to date, and hasn't come up again despite probably being the most horrifying moments of Clevin's life.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 23, 2017

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cat Mattress posted:

Allison and Clevin are useless bourgie fucks because the author writes what they know

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Here's what I hate most about this. They keep repeating "THIS IS HUGE" but like. What's huge? What are they even doing. I don't think they've ever, even once, actually given the reader any kind of information about what they plan to do. They're just going to huge it up and suddenly all the women in the world will be not raped?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Nuebot posted:

They're just going to huge it up and suddenly all the women in the world will be not raped?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Skellybones posted:

Allison and Clevin are useless bourgie fucks because the author writes what they know

My position exactly.

Except Allison was an examination of how someone develops social and radical consciousness out of a bourgie background, and how one overcomes both thinking they're better than the hoi polloi and the learned helplessness people are taught to feel about actually changing society. She had a thematic point! The comic had a purpose!The author seemed like he wanted to work out what he expects of himself and learn to be useful to humanity even without super strength, as one of the lucky middle class.

Then came Clevin, the pictorial depiction of bourgeois myopia. He even wears the rose-colored heart-shaped glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What the gently caress does her non profit even do?

• Locked thread