Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

that is all super cool :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Teagan posted:

not technically. Some people call it a hobby, but I am not gluing together cardboard airplanes. I work projects when they come, and seek out projects when things are dry. Sometimes we just sit and tell war stories, or what a trouble maker my father was in the way back.

Technically I am a nursing person. But I consider my motorcycle junk to be my real work. I am not paid on a salary, I am paid by project. Last summer I rebuilt 2 antique Vincents worth well over 100k and made a very nice bonus. I would explain more deeply about my situation, but goons can be very twisty with personal information.

Often I work nights because I have more peace. But that is a trouble because you cannot rev at 3am with neighbours.

I adore what I do. Adore

Jelly fo real

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That is badass.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Teagan posted:

I adore what I do. Adore

Honestly the best part -- I wish more people could/did

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I really love my job but it's so depressing I can't really tell people about it in a fun and upbeat "I'm so lucky to work here!!!" way :(

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

schnickety scribe posted:

I had a busy long weekend! :buddy: I visited a friend on the Delaware Bay.

He made me wear his hat. It was in exchange for getting to sit at his drum kit, so I figure it was a fair trade.

Then we all got to rescue a bunch of horseshoe crabs while we were wandering around the beach after midnight. It was pretty cool. :3:

They're so big!!!!

Nice hat

on what planet is that thing a crab

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Out here, everything hurts.

Mocking Bird posted:

I really love my job but it's so depressing I can't really tell people about it in a fun and upbeat "I'm so lucky to work here!!!" way :(

I tell a lot of my old girl friends about what I do, and they cringe. Their husbands are all in trades and they tend to slurp me in with that idea and see me as very masculine and hard to relate to.

They don't ask about my needle point, knitting or sewing. Or the tiaras I wear with my niece or my bubblegum schwinnn town bike with a front basket and pink kerchief.

I think that in order for people to accept your enthusiasm, they have to also understand the skillset and time it took for you to be so good at what you do. Less about the source, more about the action.

people are always going to suck one way or another. And they will judge. gently caress them. Love what you do. It will help you to sleep at night

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I judge you awesome.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Can you tell me why my fat neighbor starts up his loud-rear end harley davidson and then just lets it sit there for 5-10 minutes before driving it anywhere

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

To warm up the oil. Howwwwwever, this should only take a little while, and it sounds like he is showing off, rather than caring for his oil.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

DOOP posted:

If you saw it flipped over it would make more sense. Or terrify the poo poo out of you, could go either way.

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Teagan posted:

To warm up the oil. Howwwwwever, this should only take a little while, and it sounds like he is showing off, rather than caring for his oil.

You know what I always call folks like that? Nouveau Harley. Like Nouveau Riche. Not used to their machine, abusing its power, and polishing it before going anywhere.

I don't like harleys, I am just a snob. There are things I like about modern harleys, like how each model engine is engineered to sound different than any other's.... then again I only heard that from an enthusiast.

Who knows what his dealer told him. Gut says showing off. Brain says nothing needs to warm up that long unless you are in Yukon, other jelly roll gut instinct says he thinks he is keeping his oil from gunking up and is just being a good owner.

I say he is a lovely neighbour and you should shove half your sunday paper into his gas tank.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

DOOP posted:

It's only a crab in name. Genetically, it's a relative of the extinct sea scorpions that lived in the ancient seas back before dinosaurs existed. They're closest modern day relatives are spiders, ticks, and scorpions.

I want to go back to the beach so I can find some more to pet.

Teagan posted:

My dad got in touch with a lot of his old biker friends (think teen and up) several years back, and so many people were asking to use our machinery that they started hanging out together while one or two did some work. It was called Toxic Tuesday, beer, paint stripper and coils. I would pop in, say hello, have a beer. Then I would work on my bike in the corner and steal a beer. and then it became a weekly thing where I would hang out with the guys. Wear my coveralls, get dirty, get hurt, and learn SO much from the guys. Then I joined a group in another town on tuesdays, and my father would drive me there. So it became Wicked Wednesdays. Same deal, different email header.

The guys noticed my handy work and would bring their projects for me to do for them. What with my dainty hands I could handle bolts and wiring more easily. But my favourite thing is stripping a whole bike and restoring to perfection, best at stripping/grinding and the fine details. I love to spray, to bake, to detail.... I get paid nicely for my work. I also buy err... I don't know how to put it in a pc term, so oh well sue me, jap bikes. I would buy honda's yamaha's, suzukis etc in poor condition, research what is in demand and clean up those parts and sell them at rallies, online, through connections. The entire upstairs is my work area of old and dead motorcycles, that and snow tires.

Having those men around me makes me feel safe, and accepted. I won a scholarship for automech and got poo poo from all the guys. Real men, real grown up, experienced guys think I am the bee's knees so I choose that to define myself as.
Have you ever worked on a husqvarna motorcycle? My dad apparently used to have a big one he'd race in hill scrambles.

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

schnickety scribe posted:

Have you ever worked on a husqvarna motorcycle? My dad apparently used to have a big one he'd race in hill scrambles.

:) The vintage "bicycle style" bikes are really something to let your eyes glisten over. However, breaking my habits, I have to say that I prefer their modern sport/dirt bikes. I have seen them run deep woods concours and have never been so envious of broken bones before.

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Teagan has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Mar 18, 2019

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

A slow day at work means my only company for hours is a $100 stuffed penguin and I end up losing my mind.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Picnic Princess posted:

A slow day at work means my only company for hours is a $100 stuffed penguin and I end up losing my mind.

That penguin looks terrified.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm thinking I'm going to stick with more beard for a while

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Kitchner posted:

That penguin looks terrified.

Well yeah, there's a leopard right behind it. :ohdear:

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm thinking I'm going to stick with more beard for a while

Shave your head really close, and grow the beard a little, make it nice at trimmed and voila, video game bad guy/or friendly quest giver.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Teagan posted:

Shave your head really close, and grow the beard a little, make it nice at trimmed and voila, video game bad guy/or friendly quest giver.

Twist: they're the same person.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Doing cool dad photos?

Early 80's selfie with a Polaroid Land camera.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Teagan posted:

I read that as friendliest queer ever.

After eating way too much meat at a Brazilian steak-house, I think I was in a daze

Blue On Blue has a new favorite as of 00:43 on May 14, 2016

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

After eating way too much meat at a Brazilian steak-house, I think I was in a daze

Meat comas are no joke, I had the same issue when I went to our local Brazilian statehouse nabrasa

Teagan
Sep 20, 2002

Sappo569 posted:

That is probably best and I should edit my post. But that would take the glory from you.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sappo569 posted:

No one ever believes it is possible to get high on meat till they visit the Brazilian steak house.

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.

RFC2324 posted:

No one ever believes it is possible to get high on meat till they visit the Brazilian steak house.

The absolute truth.

To contribute, I just cut off 22 inches of hair and it felt great. Here's a before and after. I almost never wore my hair down anyway because I teach hot yoga every day, so finding a before picture was a little challenging.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
You look spunky and ready for action! Your earrings are super fab :swoon:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MsJoelBoxer posted:

The absolute truth.

To contribute, I just cut off 22 inches of hair and it felt great. Here's a before and after. I almost never wore my hair down anyway because I teach hot yoga every day, so finding a before picture was a little challenging.

Keep this style. It suits you.

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.

Mocking Bird posted:

You look spunky and ready for action! Your earrings are super fab :swoon:

Thanks! It is so much easier to care for and style.

Vargatron posted:

Keep this style. It suits you.

Thank you! It was a much needed change.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I am hennaing my hair, so I get to wear this real cool hat for a few hours (plus bonus saran wrap)

cash crab has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Sep 8, 2018

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

MsJoelBoxer posted:

The absolute truth.

You look awesome! I wish I could rock a short haircut, but I've done it in the past and I just really, really can't. So I go the opposite extreme and enjoy it.

I'm allowed to not base my wants and likes in logic. :colbert:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

cash crab posted:

I am hennaing my hair, so I get to wear this real cool hat for a few hours (plus bonus saran wrap)

You seem like a girl I could count on to help me deliver street justice A+++

Somebody has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Sep 8, 2018

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Mocking Bird posted:

You seem like a girl I could count on to help me deliver street justice A+++

Please let me remove the saran wrap first

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
You can henna hair? Like henna tattoos on your hair?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

cash crab posted:

There is a famous painting this photo reminds me of, and I can't remember the name of it.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Sep 8, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

There is a famous painting this photo reminds me of, and I can't remember the name of it.

Girl with the pearl necklaceearring.

e: I never realized names of works of art vary by culture. In Finnish it's called Girl in turban.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking of that painting. Something about the way CC is posed

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yes! Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Does your ear have motion blur?