Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hot D, UTEP corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
this is the worst.

2 coaching-based penalties lead to a first down.

The gently caress is with these refs? CUSA sucks.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

this is the worst.

The gently caress is with your team, man? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone watching them, I don't know why they're playing this sloppy coming off of a great bowl win. Huge regression.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

The gently caress is with your team, man? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone watching them, I don't know why they're playing this sloppy coming off of a great bowl win. Huge regression.

Kingsbury too busy stacking paper, admiring his sexy stubble

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

The gently caress is with your team, man? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone watching them, I don't know why they're playing this bad coming off of that bowl win.

I don't know what's up with Webb today. He's playing like poo poo.

We knew the defense was bad. We lost our best 2 DL to graduation and our top LB too. Our starting LBs are our top RB from last year and a transfer who couldn't get playing time at Utah. Then our nose tackle goes down on the first drive in the first game.

So... reasons.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

kayakyakr posted:

this is the worst.

They don't get the chance to be on national TV often, so when they do they study up on all the most obscure penalties so they'll get their moment in the spotlight.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

See, that's part of what's weirding me out, because as much as everyone makes the Coach Bro or Coach Gorgeous jokes, I thought he'd come off as a pretty solid coach so far. Weirds me out to see his team play this sloppy, especially on offense.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
guarantee you there is an texas tech blog somewhere writing a post right now about how kliff is to concerned with being the most handsome man who has ever lived and curating his impressive designer sunglasses collection to be an effective football coach.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

PostNouveau posted:

Crushin' coed rear end

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Boise State had almost 700 yards of offense and scored 37. For one night at least, we went back to the glory days.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wish there was a plausible way TTU would lose by 1 so that stupid swinging gate poo poo on their first TD really cost them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

guarantee you there is an texas tech blog somewhere writing a post right now about how kliff is to concerned with being the most handsome man who has ever lived and curating his impressive designer sunglasses collection to be an effective football coach.

All the elite coaches are splotchy and paunchy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

I don't know what's up with Webb today. He's playing like poo poo.

We knew the defense was bad. We lost our best 2 DL to graduation and our top LB too. Our starting LBs are our top RB from last year and a transfer who couldn't get playing time at Utah. Then our nose tackle goes down on the first drive in the first game.

So... reasons.

Not getting TONS of help from his receivers, I guess. Been some drops, that TD that got caught out of bounds.

I didn't realize there was that much reason to panic on your D, though - most Tech fans I'd spoken to were cautiously optimistic. I guess they were hoping the D-Line would be an addition by subtraction kind of deal.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not getting TONS of help from his receivers, I guess. Been some drops, that TD that got caught out of bounds.

I didn't realize there was that much reason to panic on your D, though - most Tech fans I'd spoken to were cautiously optimistic. I guess they were hoping the D-Line would be an addition by subtraction kind of deal.

The out-of-bounds TD was monstrously overthrown to a guy that is 5'6" on a good day. The same deal as that 3rd down play where a ball down in Grant's numbers gets the 1st.

Sadler's drop was a bad one. That's our "next wes welker" who had his redshirt pulled because ??

Our outside receivers have been missing and instead we keep trying to deep routes to 5'6" Grant. Marquez has two TD catches but no other catches.

It's just... not been working tonight.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

PostNouveau posted:

It's all Mack Brown's fault.

I want to think that, i really hate mack brown. Is it possible that someone could ruin an institution like that?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

The out-of-bounds TD was monstrously overthrown to a guy that is 5'6" on a good day. The same deal as that 3rd down play where a ball down in Grant's numbers gets the 1st.

Sadler's drop was a bad one. That's our "next wes welker" who had his redshirt pulled because ??

Our outside receivers have been missing and instead we keep trying to deep routes to 5'6" Grant. Marquez has two TD catches but no other catches.

It's just... not been working tonight.

Just one of those nights, I guess. v :( v

Least you're having that night at 1 AM in El Paso as opposed to on College Gameday in Stillwater?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
note: gently caress CUSA refs.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

UTEP looking inclined to win this football game

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Nice job sort of making your game a game, Hawaii. I'm still mostly watching TT-UTEP, but hey, at least you made me flip back a couple times.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I want to think that, i really hate mack brown. Is it possible that someone could ruin an institution like that?

Nah.

Sustained success is real hard. You recruit the wrong people, train the right people the wrong way, or just have a few bad injuries, and poo poo will unravel. Winning gets you better recruits, more money for facilities and coaches, and the benefit of the doubt from the pollsters, but losing gets you exactly the opposite. A bad year or two can easily spiral.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

UTEP!!!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
gently caress yes, UTEP.

Go for 2

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
UTEP showing some great effort and great running. I like these guys.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
That drive owned, that RB owns, that TD owns

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Touchdown UTEP.

It's one of those nights.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Jesus. The OL is able to get away with murder. Everyone is able to get away with murder.

I don't know that TTU makes a bowl game this year.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

PostNouveau posted:

Nah.

Sustained success is real hard. You recruit the wrong people, train the right people the wrong way, or just have a few bad injuries, and poo poo will unravel. Winning gets you better recruits, more money for facilities and coaches, and the benefit of the doubt from the pollsters, but losing gets you exactly the opposite. A bad year or two can easily spiral.

That's basically what happened to Syracuse. Not that we were ever Texas, but up until 2000 or so, we were a perennial contender for major bowl games. In our case, it all started when a young man named Michael Vick changed his mind about coming to play at the Carrier Dome, leaving the Orangemen in the...interesting hands of Troy Nunes.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Whatever happens, please God: No overtime. My OCD will force me to watch this loving football game until 3 in the goddamn morning.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
It happened to Cal too. Cal was the #2 team in America about 5 or 6 years ago, and now that sounds hilarious and ancient.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
I want UTEP to take this, but I also want overtime

Never let gameday end

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

OrangeKing posted:

That's basically what happened to Syracuse. Not that we were ever Texas, but up until 2000 or so, we were a perennial contender for major bowl games. In our case, it all started when a young man named Michael Vick changed his mind about coming to play at the Carrier Dome, leaving the Orangemen in the...interesting hands of Troy Nunes.

It happens to everybody. It's all cyclical. Michigan has essentially been going through it since Rich Rodriguez with the exception of 2011. Tennessee has sucked rear end since 2008. Every once in awhile a big program just enters a fail spiral.

Arkansas is also in the middle of one.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

utep :smith:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Dammit UTEP. Don't give it up that easily

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tech's gonna save this, barring a turnover.

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
I started watching OU as a kid in the 90's, so in my brain it's like the opposite

but yeah, prestige isn't immunity from misery

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

PostNouveau posted:

Shouldn't have paid Kliff Kingsbury.

He's not the best but he's better than Leach

Leach fits WSU perfectly though, we're poo poo and he's insane

welwala harris
Jan 28, 2005
loving ttu

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Still time...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

gently caress you too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

wheez the roux posted:

He's not the best but he's better than Leach

e Leach fits WSU perfectly though, we're poo poo and he's insane

I just meant that in an A-Rod kind of way. No reason to try if you've already hit the jackpot.

• Locked thread