Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I only read the Rebirth issue and I could already tell that it's certainly another Red Hood series by Scott Lobdell, and that was enough to tell me that I wouldn't enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I know only two issues of Gotham Academy, but how are they?

I read #1-#12 of the older series and liked it, but heard the last arc was bad.

Is Second Semester good so far?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's back to having a plot instead of being an anthology series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read the Gotham Academy/Lumberjanes crossover too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Pretty darn good. And not only because I'm saying it, for pretty much everyone RHATO is one of the biggest surprises from Rebirth.

Do keep in mind this is because everyone expected it to be unmitigated garbage and instead it's somewhat mitigated garbage.

Like how technically you can say Gotham season 2 is better than the first.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I skipped the anthology stuff, Second Semester is very good.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I really like how Gleeson draws Batman on the cover of issue 9. Looks like Brock Lesnar in a cowl with those neck and shoulder muscles. :stare:

And Damian so deserved that sock to the beef, although I was slightly disappointed that the other side of his back didn't explode out from a Superboy punch. But I guess that'd be a bad way to start your new arc.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 5, 2016

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's unbelievable how good the Superman book is. The line Superman said about Maya's smile was just the right kind of corny.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fadam posted:

It's unbelievable how good the Superman book is. The line Superman said about Maya's smile was just the right kind of corny.

I feel like I've been waiting all my comic reading life for Pete Tomasi's Superman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I feel like I've been waiting all my comic reading life for Pete Tomasi's Superman.

I wasn't even really a fan of Tomasi before this book. He was just one of those writers that was pretty serviceable but not special. But he's knocking this out of the park.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

fadam posted:

i normally only like grim dark non big 2 super comics because i am brain damaged and still think this is a perfect mix of corny comic superman poo poo plot and dialogue. It is cool

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Roth posted:

It's back to having a plot instead of being an anthology series.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I skipped the anthology stuff, Second Semester is very good.

Thanks. I got #1&2 and am happy with where things are going. Glad DC didn't ax it.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Read the Gotham Academy/Lumberjanes crossover too.

I bought issue #1, but it didn't really interest me to much while reading.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The guy really really knows how to do some parent to child relationship dialogue. At first I really wasn't on board with Bruce coming back as main Batman replacing the fantastic pairing of DickBats and Robin. But it really really grew on me and I found to like it a hell of a lot better than Snyder's run. Especially the issues leading up to Damian's death and the fallout issues afterwards.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Neurosis posted:

i normally only like grim dark non big 2 super comics

Talking Tomasi, House of Penance is both of those things. Check that the heck out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BrianWilly posted:

I had no expectations for Midnighter and Apollo and hadn't read the previous series but these first two issues have been quite well-written and enjoyable. I'm also glad the DCU apparently now has its own gay Latin Dr. Strange. I mean, I know the character's old, but I hadn't known that they'd brought the guy back from Offensive Stereotype Limbo and made him kinda cool.
They brought back Extrano??

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They super did!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Keith Giffen Kamandi Chalenge interview
http://www.newsarama.com/31891-giffen-does-his-best-kirby-in-kamandi-challenge.html

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I spotted a listing on Amazon for Cave Carson: The Silver Age and I was curious if anybody has read those comics?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

I spotted a listing on Amazon for Cave Carson: The Silver Age and I was curious if anybody has read those comics?

It is probably "Challengers of the Unknown." They are good if you enjoy comics from that era.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Mr Hootington posted:

It is probably "Challengers of the Unknown." They are good if you enjoy comics from that era.

I'm not sure why it would be a collection of Challengers stories rather than the handful of Cave Carson stories from Brave and the Bold and Showcase.

However, Cave Carson was created by France Herron, who was the lead writer on the Challengers, and Bruno Premiani, the co-creator of the Doom Patrol. Other stories that would be in that collection are written by dudes like Bob Haney and at least one story is drawn by Joe Kubert, which is nothing to sneeze at. If you like Silver Age Chals or Bob Haney stuff, or you just want to read about dudes fighting weird monsters under the earth, you will probably like it.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Is there a good site to monitor what new TPB are coming out and when?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

badjohny posted:

Is there a good site to monitor what new TPB are coming out and when?

Amazon will usually list release dates on the pages for tpbs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Weekly Shipping thread covers trades as they come out, and they're in the monthly solicits, which are published three-to-four months ahead of time.
Google "DC/Marvel/Whoever (Future Month) 2016/17 solicitations"

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I use Marvel Masterworks. It has a list on the left side of everything coming out.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
That new printing of the 2006 Space Ghost books is a good buy. The book is excellent and should have lead to an entire series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oMLDqOmB5Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Xnz4G3AqA

Rosie was a sex-bot confirmed. Also, The Jetsons doesn't have an artist yet :/

e: Actually, NYCC, those are month old interviews Comicvine are posting, so maybe they're in production now.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 7, 2016

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I was in court last week and one of the guys on the list was a Jason Todd. I don't think he was being charged with multiple counts of murder and being a vigilante, but he could have been.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's something nice to cut through real life right now.
New Talent Showcase preview http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/11/07/welcome-to-dcs-first-ever-new-talent-showcase-of-the-modern-era?sf41670806=1
with a page and creator blurb for each story.

\/Shut up.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 9, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
so apperabtly I'm getting banned for supporting Clinton. Just wanted to say my good bye and that it was nice talking with all of you!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well you're getting banned for toxxing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, this is what trades are gonna look like.
:/

e: Also, f you aren't reading Doom Patrol for whatever reason, a character was just told their history through a living comic book, and... (spoiler)

in case it wasn't obvious,

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 9, 2016

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seems like Soy sneaked a JoJo reference in today's RHATO

:haw:

And by the way, issue was really good.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Seems like Soy sneaked a JoJo reference in today's RHATO

:haw:

And by the way, issue was really good.

Huh, I didn't know you liked JoJo, D_T. I dunno if that's definitely a reference but it seems like it really could be. Neato.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well today may be one of the single worst days in American history but at least Wonder Woman Rebirth continues to be a consummately magnificent comic.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You're going to have a pretty hard time convincing me to give half a poo poo about comic books right now

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Red Hood is the only constant we have.

purple death ray posted:

You're going to have a pretty hard time convincing me to give half a poo poo about comic books right now

Mother Panic debuted pretty strong today.
'Course it's not an optimistic comic at all.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...Hal Jordan and the GLC was also pretty good? v:shobon:v New Super-Man is picking up a lot of steam?

Yeah I got nothing else here.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mopey Americans are missing out on some real bangers this week.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Not me! It's time to drown myself in escapist media even harder than ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fadam posted:

Mopey Americans are missing out on some real bangers this week.

We know that means sausage, don't try to trick us with your nonsense words.