Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Plutonis posted:

China had "kill someone's entire extended family" as a punishment.
Hasn't China historically lurched between this sort of extreme punishment and surprisingly modern rehabilitative justice systems, over its "5000 years of unbroken history"? Not saying they weren't in the "Kill 'em all" phase during the Spanish Inquisition, but they might have been pretty decent for the time some decades earlier or later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

It is now Day 912 of 2016, 598 days since the Rise of the Escalator King, 1,111 days into the Era of the Escalator. The Liberals weep, Rachel Maddow has pulled out her hair, she sits in ashes, clothed in naught but sackcloth. Obama, his name and visage, stricken from all history, as was the Heretic Pharaoh, Akhenaten. Nate Silver has wrent his body asunder in shaking, truly and well shook. Such is life, in the Emperor of the Orange Sun, Year 1 of the Eternal 2016, Era of the Escalator.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

2016 will never end will it

It's literally the only shred of credibility that the brain worm brigade still has left, so of course it won't end.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

KiteAuraan posted:

It is now Day 912 of 2016, 598 days since the Rise of the Escalator King, 1,111 days into the Era of the Escalator. The Liberals weep, Rachel Maddow has pulled out her hair, she sits in ashes, clothed in naught but sackcloth. Obama, his name and visage, stricken from all history, as was the Heretic Pharaoh, Akhenaten. Nate Silver has wrent his body asunder in shaking, truly and well shook. Such is life, in the Emperor of the Orange Sun, Year 1 of the Eternal 2016, Era of the Escalator.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

KiteAuraan posted:

I mean, maybe moderate for Europeans, but I bet you could find a less blood thirsty court in like, the Muslim world or even China or something. Probably also better councils or whatever in the Iroquois and what not as well.

lol, the Iroquois kept prisoners tied the ground by running a rope between their Achilles’ tendons and their ankle bones

"The judge when conducting a trial sits behind a large table, which is covered with a red cloth. The prisoner is made to kneel in front of the table.... He is regarded as guilty until he is proving to be innocent. No one (is) allow to sit at the judge... The prisoner is called upon to plead either guilty or not guilty. As it is a rare thing for Chinese prisoners - mercy been conspicuously absent in the character of their judges - to plead guilty, trials are very numerous. During the course of the trial, the prisoner is asked a great many leading questions which have a tendency to criminate him. Should his answer be evasive, torture is at once resorted to...."

Everything was brutal everywhere

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
It was common in a lot of places for the judge and lawyers to literally speak a different language from most people who'd be defendants, too.

Seems common that justice systems that in theory give an opportunity for the defendant to prove their innocence end up turned into torturous spectacles.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

That aught to do it, thanks Pat

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Why Are Mainstream Media Slandering Mexico’s López Obrador? (thenation.com)

[–]Under_the_Gaslight 4 points 9 hours ago 

Delegitimizing the journalistic press in the eyes of the general public is a key objective of Russian and US right-wing propaganda and their efforts couldn't be more conspicuous. 

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Feldegast42 posted:

That aught to do it, thanks Pat

So just to get this straight... Rather than do something about it directly, his brain takes the following genius steps.

1. It's Trump's policy so blame Trump
Except
2. Trump was elected, so blame Trump voters
Except
3. Trump voters are rareified morons who only vote for Trump, so blame those who didn't vote for Clinton
Except
4. Non-voters aren't the problem because they're disengaged anyways. So blame third party voters
Except
5. Libertarians cannot be held accountable, so blame Stein voters
Except
6. Stein voters are easily misled rubes, so blame weird celebrity who endorsed her

Boom, concentration camp solved with Galaxy brain logic

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

KiteAuraan posted:

I mean, maybe moderate for Europeans, but I bet you could find a less blood thirsty court in like, the Muslim world or even China or something. Probably also better councils or whatever in the Iroquois and what not as well.

You are an idiot, or racist, hopefully it's just the former.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

okay so wait. don’t vote 3rd party, but do vote Republican? wait that can’t be right. okay so I can only vote Democrat? but they don’t agree on abolishing ICE. so I can’t really vote for them either

gently caress whys this gotta be so complicated all of a sudden

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You are an idiot, or racist, hopefully it's just the former.

The former, but more due to hyper-specializing in my one little corner of the world like every single academic ever, because yeah, I was big fuckin' wrong.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheMassHistoria/status/1013694951102861312

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Does he mean liberal in the way maga chuds say it, or the way cspam ROSEPOSters say it? I need to know how to calibrate my feelings here.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mrmcd posted:

Does he mean liberal in the way maga chuds say it, or the way cspam ROSEPOSters say it? I need to know how to calibrate my feelings here.
Neither, he's retarded

https://www.twitter.com/TheMassHistoria/status/1013734885213818880

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Self-proclaimed liberals are always the ones with the least ability to coherently explain what they think liberalism is.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
it's because they've internalized their ideology as just 'reality' and so therefore don't have to introspect about its failings or shortcomings.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mrmcd posted:

lol if you think that fucker really knows the difference in the first place. He's using the Liberal tradition (going back hundreds of years, social contracts and equality under the law and basic human rights and other stuff) to defend against insults made about people who identify as liberal on the current political spectrum. They're two very different things, of course. Old-school Liberalism encompasses most of the modern political spectrum.

edit: beaten like a rented mule

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Monarchism gave you the state.

Monarchism gave you surplus.

Monarchism gave you your legal system.

Monarchism gave you the Holy Church.

Monarchism is the enemy of barbarism, and I'll be forever proud to defend it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/JayCoop901/status/1013761489478602752

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Volkerball posted:

Truth is if the west was looking to influence the aftermath of a hypothetical Iranian revolution, it'd most likely be by backing Reza Pahlavi as the figurehead of what would be framed as the first steps towards a new secular democracy. Not the MEK.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/uselesslezbo69/...90%7Ctwterm%5E3

https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/st...90%7Ctwterm%5E3

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want volkerball to die

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
https://twitter.com/ForeignAffairs/status/1014241141166878726

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I want volkerball to die

There's no middle ground between a pseudo-Marxist sex cult, and monarchism.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

intoxication u see is diffarant from the feeling of relaxation after a social drikn, becaues,

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

a majority of alcohol consumption is done to receive the blood of Christ

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol ten percent of the drinking age population in the us consumes an average of seven drinks per day

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

ay ay ay

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol ten percent of the drinking age population in the us consumes an average of seven drinks per day

wow I didn't know C-SPAM was so popular

nah
Mar 16, 2009

i am the 10 percent

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seven drinks?! what the hell else are you people doing with your time?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

belt posted:

Seven drinks?! what the hell else are you people doing with your time?

Drinking, mostly. How the gently caress else do you stop thinking about TRUMP?

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I phrased that poorly I was wondering what the people who aren’t drinking are doing.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

that's it?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Seriously. When I get on a binge that's more or less entry level drinking.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

So, I don't smoke pot, but I imagine it's like most drugs and the more you smoke the higher you get, or does it plateau pretty quickly?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SimonCat posted:

So, I don't smoke pot, but I imagine it's like most drugs and the more you smoke the higher you get, or does it plateau pretty quickly?

Technically the more you smoke the higher you get, but there's kinda a law of diminishing returns. Get too high and you just fall asleep.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SimonCat posted:

Too much weed increases and intensifies the occurence of negative and neutral effects, namely and depending on the weed strain: anxiety, nausea, disorientation, fatigue, hallucinations (not delerium hallucinations, youre not going to be a glass of OJ or talk to mr. Myxpzytle), sleepiness etc.

Theres definitely a diminishing returns factor with weed use, both in terms of a single session and as tolerance, which builds relatively quickly to alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Seriously. When I get on a binge that's more or less entry level drinking.

it’s an extremely lopsided distribution that I’m sure gets more horrifying as you approach the 1st percentile, but binge drinking is defined as four drinks in one night