Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Is it going to throw me immediately into ng+ like ds1 or can I finish the base game then go give up on the dlc like 2

Just don't touch the bonfire that spawns after you dunk Soul of Cinder and you're good. There's also a bonfire to Ringed City (DLC) right before that boss for ease of travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Completely safe to link the fire (or whichever ending you’re going for). Credits roll, and you get the option to start NG+. Decline, and you start back at Firelink shrine, free to explore. You can start NG+ at any time from the bonfire there.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Havel gets tougher every game. The true hero. And ricard lost his armor and now he cosplays conan.

So, Anor Londo is the same as in ds1. Archdragon peak reminds me of sekiro with those gongs and ninja serpents jumping over your head and especially with the cinematic deathblow.
I suppose lothric castle is a bit like ds2 with those slow but annoying zombie soldiers hiding behind barricades.
Are there areas that are like the ps exclusive games?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Lothric is a lot like Boletaria and pretty much the whole game is a lot Bloodborne

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

There’s like 6 dang npc’s in firelink that will teach my magic even though I haven’t cast a single spell in all 3 games, and the one guy that sold good arrows just disappeared and never came back.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

There’s like 6 dang npc’s in firelink that will teach my magic even though I haven’t cast a single spell in all 3 games, and the one guy that sold good arrows just disappeared and never came back.

You can bring him back. Well, part of him. The part that grows his wares apparently.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

Havel gets tougher every game. The true hero. And ricard lost his armor and now he cosplays conan.

So, Anor Londo is the same as in ds1. Archdragon peak reminds me of sekiro with those gongs and ninja serpents jumping over your head and especially with the cinematic deathblow.
I suppose lothric castle is a bit like ds2 with those slow but annoying zombie soldiers hiding behind barricades.

Ariandel is kinda similar to Cainhurst (Bloodborne), complete with a boss that will shred you in seconds flat if you play recklessly.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I didn’t even realize I was close to done already? I just stopped for the night at the boss at the end of the spooky bookshelf ghost arm area. Man this one is a disappointment compared to 1&2

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I didn’t even realize I was close to done already? I just stopped for the night at the boss at the end of the spooky bookshelf ghost arm area. Man this one is a disappointment compared to 1&2

Have you done the optional areas, Archdragon Peak / Consumed King's Garden / Untended Graves?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

VictualSquid posted:

The whole path from Irithyll Dungeon down to the Profaned Capital is a Demon's Souls tribute. The area of Lothric Castle up to the double wyverns is also very reminiscent of Boletaria Castle from DeS.

Visually, Irithyll is feels a lot like a wintry Yharnam from Bloodborne. All the knights there gradually turning into beasts is a thing, too. And the outrider knights use that same goofy "butt in the air" skeleton model as the quadruped werewolves from Bloodborne.

I don't really know if there's a big area that's a tribute to DS2, outside the obvious DLC spot. I guess the Road of Sacrifices sprawl and split map is fairly reminiscent of 2, and the little mushroom bugs from 2 are in there to help that image.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wouldn't it be less of a "tribute" and more of a "the guys who make these games really love doing this aesthetic"?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wouldn't it be less of a "tribute" and more of a "the guys who make these games really love doing this aesthetic"?

Of the Profaned Capital path? I mean, the dungeons are the most straightforward copy of an area format over from 3-1, the Prison of Hope, in the whole game besides Anor Londo. The full layout isn't exactly the same, but it's way more of a direct "we're referencing this" than different attempts at the same like idea you get with Blighttown and the Valley of Defilement. There's the roaming jailers with obnoxious magic hazards, fact that you rescue Karla there (a spell tutor witch you rescue from imprisonment just like DeS Yuria, who even has a similar outfit.) Then you get past there to the profaned capital area where the flying stone gargoyles are hanging out along narrow pathways like in 3-2, and then you cap it off with a boss fight and oh it's a gimmick fight with the Storm Ruler and they don't even disguise that at all by changing the names.

This is like, versus what could be a callback but as you say might be "the guys who make these games really love doing this aesthetic" of Lothric Castle, especially around the twin wyverns with all the barricades and the stairway that's sooort of like the walk-up the stairs in 1-4, but also like a lot of other places in the games like Undead Burg.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 4, 2021

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't really know if there's a big area that's a tribute to DS2, outside the obvious DLC spot. I guess the Road of Sacrifices sprawl and split map is fairly reminiscent of 2, and the little mushroom bugs from 2 are in there to help that image.

You can find Laddersmith Gilligan's corpse at the Profaned Captial bonfire.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

And Tyler Too! posted:

You can find Laddersmith Gilligan's corpse at the Profaned Captial bonfire.

Yeah 2 has some smaller nods in 3 like that, the Lucatiel armor, and the Creighton invasion + armor, plus a smattering of boss weapons and shields, etc. It sounded like VictualSquid was asking about full zones that are evocative or referential of the other games though.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

Of the Profaned Capital path? I mean, the dungeons are the most straightforward copy of an area format over from 3-1, the Prison of Hope, in the whole game besides Anor Londo. The full layout isn't exactly the same, but it's way more of a direct "we're referencing this" than different attempts at the same like idea you get with Blighttown and the Valley of Defilement. There's the roaming jailers with obnoxious magic hazards, fact that you rescue Karla there (a spell tutor witch you rescue from imprisonment just like DeS Yuria, who even has a similar outfit.) Then you get past there to the profaned capital area where the flying stone gargoyles are hanging out along narrow pathways like in 3-2, and then you cap it off with a boss fight and oh it's a gimmick fight with the Storm Ruler and they don't even disguise that at all by changing the names.

This is like, versus what could be a callback but as you say might be "the guys who make these games really love doing this aesthetic" of Lothric Castle, especially around the twin wyverns with all the barricades and the stairway that's sooort of like the walk-up the stairs in 1-4, but also like a lot of other places in the games like Undead Burg.

I feel like a tribute is something made by another person in, you know, "tribute" to someone else. The same company made both of these games. They just like doing it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I feel like a tribute is something made by another person in, you know, "tribute" to someone else. The same company made both of these games. They just like doing it.

I guess we we have incompatible ideas of what a word means, then? Dark Souls 3 is a celebration and dissection of the prior 4 games From Software made, as well as being a semi-firm endpoint to the Dark Souls series. It's a game where you revisit old places and new places haunted by the imagery of old ones while reality puckers and folds in around you. Pluck some words out of that prior sentence you feel fit better?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah 2 has some smaller nods in 3 like that, the Lucatiel armor, and the Creighton invasion + armor, plus a smattering of boss weapons and shields, etc. It sounded like VictualSquid was asking about full zones that are evocative or referential of the other games though.

Also Alva + Zullie in Ringed City.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ringed City has Ruin Sentinel armor too (behind the staircase at the beginning of the archer gauntlet).

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

There's no weird cat to talk to in DS3 :(

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Well I won. The last boss in all 3 games are kind of wet farts compared to some of the other bosses.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cinder is probably the best of them all as far as main game end bosses. Sekiro really got it right, they always feel easy to me in DS

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Gael is the final boss of DS3 :colbert:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gael is the final boss of the franchise

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

codo27 posted:

main game end bosses.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Oh you mean Gael?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Yeah gael is definitely a true JRPG type of final final boss tbh. Even if you have all the loot and all the strats he's still a tough fucker to fight.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I didn't think Gael was *that* tough as far as From superbosses go, he has some cool looking moves but I thought it was pretty reasonably telegraphed and didn't really have anything I'd call bullshit. Friede gave me way, way more grief by way of comparison, beating her was like a two day affair

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Gael can be chumped with poison and Hollowslayer GS. Friede is an exercise in frustration unless you plan to cheese her with Great Soul Dregs.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I could consistently get Gael down to that last little chunk of health without too much trouble but that last phase was, for me, one of the most difficult boss encounters in the series. It's also one of the best, with every close-call dodge I pulled off feeling incredibly cool.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I just made it through the painted world and am fighting friede. This is a very cool fight. But I feel a bit morally wrong about fighting her, like with priscilla in the original painted world.

I head that I can still do the dlcs after killing the normal final boss. Should I fight the final boss before I go for the dlc bosses? In ds1 the situation was that artorias was everything cool about gwyn, but better. Which took a lot of impact out of the fight if you did the dlc before your first finished game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Well you already took out one DLC, the bonfire to Ringed City is in Friede's room if you wanna go for it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

I just made it through the painted world and am fighting friede. This is a very cool fight. But I feel a bit morally wrong about fighting her, like with priscilla in the original painted world.

I head that I can still do the dlcs after killing the normal final boss. Should I fight the final boss before I go for the dlc bosses? In ds1 the situation was that artorias was everything cool about gwyn, but better. Which took a lot of impact out of the fight if you did the dlc before your first finished game.

Friede is (imo) the hardest boss in the game, once you've grinded your skills up enough to beat her it will take a little of the bite out of the final boss. Did you head over to the Archdragon Peak yet and do the base game's superboss? If you want to have the best boss experience I'd say go final boss > archdragon peak and then the dlc

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

multijoe posted:

Friede is (imo) the hardest boss in the game, once you've grinded your skills up enough to beat her it will take a little of the bite out of the final boss. Did you head over to the Archdragon Peak yet and do the base game's superboss? If you want to have the best boss experience I'd say go final boss > archdragon peak and then the dlc

I haven't defeated friede yet. And I did get to anti-ornstein, but I wasn't in the mood for a boss today.
he is fist on my list because he is first in the official bonfire list in the game.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 6, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Guys I like this game.

Consistent 60 frames per second definitely helps my PC could never manage that even though it had the specs

Dark souls 3 is very good

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I started a pyromancer which was kind of tedious up to Irithryll, but is definitely getting fun quick. I wish they had spaced out the Dark and Chaos coals a little more, but at least they put in the DS1 pyro set :)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I wasn't in the mood for a difficult part of the game and went to kill future gwyn.
After beating my head against him for an embarrassingly long time I checked the wiki. And I have two things to say:
Phase 2 is embarrassingly easy if you get an easy pattern.
The fact that future gwyn is not parryable is the biggest troll in the whole series.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

This games dlcs are very strange:
I used to think that ds3 has better levels then bosses.
Now I have killed friede and she is in my top 3 from bosses, despite my hatred of team bosses.
And the dreg heap is the most annoying level I have ever played, even though it looks lore-tastic. I hate mob enemies, infinitely re-spawning enemies, poison swampt and enemies you have to run by.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

VictualSquid posted:

This games dlcs are very strange:
I used to think that ds3 has better levels then bosses.
Now I have killed friede and she is in my top 3 from bosses, despite my hatred of team bosses.
And the dreg heap is the most annoying level I have ever played, even though it looks lore-tastic. I hate mob enemies, infinitely re-spawning enemies, poison swampt and enemies you have to run by.

The angels aren't infinite spawning. There is a thing which spawns each of them. If you kill those things, they will despawn permanently. It definitely sucks the first time playing it, since the spawners are pretty well hidden. It becomes a mere minor annoyance once you know where they are, and beeline to them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
personally i have a burning hatred toward most of the vanilla maps and the vanilla bosses were mostly look warm in design. on the other hand i loved both the dlcs since i felt like they were actually trying to kill me. especially the second one since it felt like a proper souls level full of puzzles and wrong answers leading to you getting punched in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i am playing through this for the first time, with Sekiro being the only other recent From game I've played. very tough to unlearn the Sekrio defenses (parrying timings, the idea that everything is parryable, parry being far better than dodge). i just got to the pontiff boss, which feels like a real return to form after all these slow-rear end to literally immobile MFers. but this guy has me finally feeling like i've found my groove. definitely hoping there are more "hesitation is defeat" type fights coming up.