Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

is pepsi ok posted:

Rock stopped being a culturally relevant genre about 20 years ago.

It became culturally irrelevant in 70:s, 80:s, 90:s, 00:s, 10:s... any day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nothing says being "with it" like thinking kids are baffled by the concept of, uh, guitars

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

adhuin posted:

Don't discount us old fools. Still playing Rock Band occasionally, but when my guitar controller dies, that's it for it.
Getting replacement controllers is real pain in the rear end. £300 for unused guitars and £150 for used equipment of questionable quality.

Rock Band 5 with new supply of controllers would solve all my problems,
except is there any classic good rock songs that haven't been released yet and are licensable for the game?
Oh and Harmonix are currently working at the Fortnite-mines, so :rip:

Don't they have thrift stores in the UK? I can walk into any value village in the city with ten bucks in my pocket and walk out with armfuls of plastic guitars

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

flavor.flv posted:

Don't they have thrift stores in the UK? I can walk into any value village in the city with ten bucks in my pocket and walk out with armfuls of plastic guitars

Not from UK, but their Ebay is best English language source for the stuff.
I haven't ever seen any plastic controllers in any thrift stores / fleamarkets.
Maybe the controllers were not so common here in Finland?

Edit: I have 2 working xbox 360 wireless guitars with 1 receiver, 2 midi pro-adapters for e-drums and usb-microphones are plentiful.
That wireless receiver is my weakpoint. Should have bought Xbone guitars when they were in store.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 27, 2021

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Nothing says being "with it" like thinking kids are baffled by the concept of, uh, guitars

yeah turns out kids actually do listen to music that was made before they were born, just like everyone always has

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah turns out kids actually do listen to music that was made before they were born, just like everyone always has

And not just the old stuff. Måneskin from Italy is getting pretty big and they're barely in their low 20:s.
They got song with 800+ million plays on Spotify and that's not even their winning Eurovision song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN1odfjtMoo

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

abigserve posted:

I honestly don't know why guitar hero isn't still around but I would guess the target audience of "young enough to want to play with a plastic guitar but old enough to remember songs with guitars in them" is reaaaallly small

What in the gently caress?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Kids these days with their transparent aluminium mega-lyres

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Kids these days with their laser hurdy-gurdys and digital pennywhistles

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My son plays the iPhone in a logarithmic neo-darkdisco band

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Icochet posted:

My son plays the iPhone in a logarithmic neo-darkdisco band

lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
SMTV has the worst main character design I've ever seen in a videogame. They should have called it Bangs Bangs Bangs 5: Bangs!. I don't know how anyone can play it.

Also, I'm stuck in Blasphemous at the archathedral rooftops. Buncha dead ends. Plz help GBS videogame thread.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Travis Scott don’t have no guitars

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Every Gen Z-er at all times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DfWcMZys48

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Sorry, I only listen to music that alternates between 8/5 and 15/8 time, and it has to be made entirely using samples of Tommy Tallarico being tapped in the nuts with tuning forks set to frequencies that correspond to prime numbers

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

signalnoise posted:

Sorry, I only listen to music that alternates between 8/5 and 15/8 time, and it has to be made entirely using samples of Tommy Tallarico being tapped in the nuts with tuning forks set to frequencies that correspond to prime numbers

Uhhh.... got a link to any of that stuff.??

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Uhhh.... got a link to any of that stuff.??

So far no, but my patience will be rewarded some day

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only listen to trip-hop and lana del rey, ask me anything.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

signalnoise posted:

ah so prefer the later Radiohead albums then

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

abigserve posted:

I honestly don't know why guitar hero isn't still around but I would guess the target audience of "young enough to want to play with a plastic guitar but old enough to remember songs with guitars in them" is reaaaallly small

Maybe it's because I play, but I feel like my suggested Instagram reels are 80% teenagers with oversized, round glasses and Nirvana shirts playing on pastel coloured Fender offsets, so I think guitars are still a cool signifier for a lot of teens, as long as the plastic guitars looked like Jazzmasters and not Les Pauls.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Elentor posted:

I only listen to trip-hop and lana del rey, ask me anything.

I don't have a question but just wanted to say you're very cool.

Also increasingly younger people have discovered the ability to use this internet thing, and this Spotify (and similar) thing to discover all sorts of music. There's pop music yeah, but it's a lot more common for people to not actually give a poo poo about when a song was made, just whether it's good.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Maybe it's because I play, but I feel like my suggested Instagram reels are 80% teenagers with oversized, round glasses and Nirvana shirts playing on pastel coloured Fender offsets, so I think guitars are still a cool signifier for a lot of teens, as long as the plastic guitars looked like Jazzmasters and not Les Pauls.

I also trust social media recommendations to keep me up to date with the youth. It's a large mood. The mood is large, Jerry.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Disco Pope posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this, but you live in an early 90:s bubble.
Pretty sweet era to be stuck in to be honest.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

signalnoise posted:

I also trust social media recommendations to keep me up to date with the youth. It's a large mood. The mood is large, Jerry.

Look, man, they use the TokTiks and play the opening riff of "Come As You Are" and it makes me feel simultaneously less old and more old, okay?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Look, man, they use the TokTiks and play the opening riff of "Come As You Are" and it makes me feel simultaneously less old and more old, okay?

This song is nearly 20 years old https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKLnmMacEB4

I'm sure it's in a video game somewhere, or something from that album is

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beartaco posted:

Who can forget the scenic Italian greenery of those 360 games

lol what the hell, did the 360 itself apply a grey filter to its video data? I played those games on PC and recall Italy being quite colorful and beautiful, and everyone had colorful outfits.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

NieR Replicant Ver.1.22474487139... is the perfect balance of brown, green and grey.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

lol what the hell, did the 360 itself apply a grey filter to its video data? I played those games on PC and recall Italy being quite colorful and beautiful, and everyone had colorful outfits.

I think people forget just how long ago the X360 was, and what it came with. The original Xbox 360 didn't even have HDMI, and didn't until 2007, so Assassin's Creed 2 had to run on poo poo from 2005 which carried video over a single composite video cable. Like, the 360 didn't need to apply a filter, dude. We were living in a different era of video hardware. Consoles back then were simply outclassed by PCs in terms of clarity. You could get a component cable or SCART or whatever, but I can tell you from experience there was only so much improvement you were going to get.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The xbox did not exist in an era where cables turned everything into desaturated boredom. You could play mario or sonic and it was colorful as gently caress. Same for super mario 64 or some PS games like threads of fate. You can't blame a game being as grey as my hair to the chrominance signal of those cables especially because that literally doesn't matter to the way those screenshots were taken lol.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Elentor posted:

The xbox did not exist in an era where cables turned everything into desaturated boredom. You could play mario or sonic and it was colorful as gently caress. Same for super mario 64 or some PS games like threads of fate. You can't blame a game being as grey as my hair to the chrominance signal of those cables especially because that literally doesn't matter to the way those screenshots were taken lol.

So are you thinking that I'm talking about desaturation, or are you thinking the entire game is desaturated on X360, or what? I want to assume you have some idea of what's going on with that screenshot and what I'm saying about it and the X360 and why, but it seems like you didn't get to the end of my post before writing yours

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

signalnoise posted:

So are you thinking that I'm talking about desaturation, or are you thinking the entire game is desaturated on X360, or what? I want to assume you have some idea of what's going on with that screenshot and what I'm saying about it and the X360 and why, but it seems like you didn't get to the end of my post before writing yours

I read your entire post and you're replying to someone asking why the game looks like it has a "grey filter" with "the 360 didn't need to apply a filter, dude" followed by how the complaint about the game looking like it has a grey filter is attributed to the X360's age and what games looked like in its "era of video hardware".

I don't recall that era being defined by engines unable to show the same saturation as the consoles from the previous generation, and the previous generation, and the previous generation,

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 27, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Elentor posted:

I read your entire post and you're replying to someone asking why the game looks like it has a "grey filter" with "the 360 didn't need to apply a filter, dude" followed by how the complaint about the game looking like it has a grey filter is attributed to the X360's age and what games looked like in its era.

Right, and I see you keep pushing "grey filter" here and "desaturation" where I never mentioned desaturation or grey, so I think there's some kind of assumption you made that you assume I should have also made, but that I didn't make, about desaturation. Sorry about that, I guess? I don't know what kind of dunk or whatever you're going for exactly so I don't know what you want me to play into. Do you want to be right about this?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're so weirdly defensive, if you were not replying to the original point of "why does it look so grey" what were you going for then lol

"you might be forgetting games looked generally like poo poo" is a weird non-specific response to a specific complaint.

Sir you might be forgetting I did not at all use the magic words in the post I was literally addressing is some next level pedantry.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 27, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Elentor posted:

You're so weirdly defensive, if you were not replying to the original point of "why does it look so grey" what were you going for then lol

"you might be forgetting games looked generally like poo poo" is a weird non-specific response to a specific complaint.

I mean, the thing is that that's pretty much what it looks like on PC, although that's a particularly bad scene for it. The article that screenshot comes from also has this screenshot right after it.

I've been dealing with hooking up consoles for events for almost 20 years, sourcing equipment and stuff, so I've seen a lot of the models and compared 'em, that's why I thought about cables I guess. What stuck out in my mind from that era is how so many 3D games of that era cut corners with lighting not by desaturating, but by applying a color to everything to kind of blend it all together, like applying a final wash over a painting. That's what I thought QuarkJets was talking about, because Assassin's Creed 2 on PC looks like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJcZ8SpBpOg

Anyways, I don't know what I said to offend you, but I'm sorry about that.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 27, 2021

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Next time you can talk about your expertise on the subject you're responding to instead of acting overly defensive, if I wanted to dunk on you I would have said your name represents the content of your posts rather than your knowledge of analog cables hth

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Elentor posted:

Next time you can talk about your expertise on the subject you're responding to instead of acting overly defensive, if I wanted to dunk on you I would have said your name represents the content of your posts rather than your knowledge of analog cables hth

From my perspective I was directly addressing the focus of my posts. I sincerely apologize for this misunderstanding, but unfortunately, I do not know how to prevent it. Please bear with me as I proceed with my existence. I assure you that I do not understand, in earnest.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbf i got "it's the cables fault" outta that post too

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

site posted:

tbf i got "it's the cables fault" outta that post too

Oh I totally get it in hindsight. Not the first time, won't be the last. If we're going meta with it though, I think it's interesting that from Elentor's perspective, I'm "so weirdly defensive," because from my perspective during that I'm just figuring out where the wires are crossed while being berated out of nowhere

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love this thread so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I think people forget just how long ago the X360 was, and what it came with. The original Xbox 360 didn't even have HDMI, and didn't until 2007, so Assassin's Creed 2 had to run on poo poo from 2005 which carried video over a single composite video cable. Like, the 360 didn't need to apply a filter, dude. We were living in a different era of video hardware. Consoles back then were simply outclassed by PCs in terms of clarity. You could get a component cable or SCART or whatever, but I can tell you from experience there was only so much improvement you were going to get.

Composite video does not make everything grey lol