Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well the minus is if you leave the company the company can, and just might, remotely factory reset and lock your phone.

I'm 99% sure that it you cannot factory reset via a work profile with mdm. At least for normal Android, I don't know what Sarnsung does.

Baddog posted:

Wife's company is rolling out an ESPP, on a biannual schedule. Listening in to this HR guy try to run a (re)explainer because the first batch is about to hit, 6 months after initial election.

He hasn't muted anyone. There are a ton of people just yelling out misinformation along with the dumbest questions I have ever heard. I do not know how these people are loving functional in their daily lives. I'm laughing tho, 'cus I bet the person who was all "CAN I ASK A QUESTION CAN I ASK A QUESTION WHY DO I NOT SEE ANY MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT YET??" (because there is still another 4 weeks, he has said that multiple times!), is probably pulling down 300K+.

The plan was always "get the shares at 15% off the lower of the beginning/ending price", and people are swearing "THE PLAN CHANGED, IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OFF THE LOWEST PRICE AT ANY POINT!" There is no way I could ever run one of these. Within 5 minutes I would be screaming "what is your name, who is your manager, how the hell do you work here????"

At a certain point, you are obligated to enlighten the meeting with Samba music, so that they can have the "playing a multiplayer game on a public server without admins present" experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I'm 99% sure that it you cannot factory reset via a work profile with mdm. At least for normal Android, I don't know what Sarnsung does.

https://knowledge.workspace.google.com/kb/how-to-remotely-wipe-a-device-of-all-data-000005310

This applies to the phone, not the profile. Also, you probably can't remove the work profile (depending on how the admin sets up g suite MDM) on your own without factory resetting your phone.

Due to a very poorly worded and hastily approved IT policy everyone in my company is going through this right now. At the moment most of us have simply deleted our work account(s) off of our phones.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 2, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

I thought the cool new Musk thing was to ban powerpoints. This lets leadership cut off every pitch before the premise is even formed so they can give it not fair shake

Oh but hey, would you be able to put those thoughts together for me later? Just high level, preferably in bullet points please. Actually, can you replace half of the words with graphics, I get anxiety when I see pages of text. By tonight please? Thank you

that’s famously an amazon thing, no powerpoints. at least at some high enough level, can’t speak to all levels

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Motronic posted:

https://knowledge.workspace.google.com/kb/how-to-remotely-wipe-a-device-of-all-data-000005310

This applies to the phone, not the profile. Also, you probably can't remove the work profile (depending on how the admin sets up g suite MDM) on your own without factory resetting your phone.

Due to a very poorly worded and hastily approved IT policy everyone in my company is going through this right now. At the moment most of us have simply deleted our work account(s) off of our phones.

You're certain it actually wipes the phone, not just the work profile? I'm aware that having a Fully Managed Device that also happens to have a work profile will let you do it, but that's not what I'm talking about (and lol if you're accepting that)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

You're certain it actually wipes the phone, not just the work profile? I'm aware that having a Fully Managed Device that also happens to have a work profile will let you do it, but that's not what I'm talking about (and lol if you're accepting that)

If you accept the cert/MDM when adding the account or when MDM is applied to the account then yes, we are being told that it controls the device, period. If you do not accept the cert the default is to not allow the device to access the account.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Motronic posted:

If you accept the cert/MDM when adding the account or when MDM is applied to the account then yes, we are being told that it controls the device, period. If you do not accept the cert the default is to not allow the device to access the account.

Huh. Ok, guess I'm wrong, though it's pretty surprising to me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Huh. Ok, guess I'm wrong, though it's pretty surprising to me.

It's surprising to me too, considering the implication of the entire concept of "profiles" is to keep things siloed off. But apparently this needs to be OS level access for compliance reasons (forcing software/security updates, etc).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Sundae you'll appreciate this: a friend works for [mega chemicals conglomerate] and said he's having an argument with a team who want to prioritise their product run of hundreds of thousands, which would compromise a pre-existing planned run of hundreds of millions.

Apparently they are just repeating that it is a "priority for this line of business!"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Sundae you'll appreciate this: a friend works for [mega chemicals conglomerate] and said he's having an argument with a team who want to prioritise their product run of hundreds of thousands, which would compromise a pre-existing planned run of hundreds of millions.

Apparently they are just repeating that it is a "priority for this line of business!"

My company will routinely give up several 100k worth of line time to gently caress around with samples they'll then give away.

And then make the crews work all weekend to make up the lost production.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

pmchem posted:

that’s famously an amazon thing, no powerpoints. at least at some high enough level, can’t speak to all levels

I wish that applies to their sales, fuckin multiple slides about their paradigms and poo poo.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I both appreciate that and want to murdeR them.

Remarkably, I’ve had only one call so far. I texted back and told him I was on vacation and it was very easy and uneventful. There is still an hour until my flight leaves, though, so *knocks on wood*.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

tactlessbastard posted:

My company will routinely give up several 100k worth of line time to gently caress around with samples they'll then give away.

And then make the crews work all weekend to make up the lost production.

That just makes sense. You can't justify bringing crews in on the weekend to give away samples. But with what you described, you get both!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Business "we are desperate for this new product, all our customers keep demanding it"

R&D "please allocate us time on your line to validate the product"

Business "but that will cost me money"

Alternatively the dog holding a ball cartoon but with "no r&d only new products "

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Sundae posted:

I both appreciate that and want to murdeR them.

Remarkably, I’ve had only one call so far. I texted back and told him I was on vacation and it was very easy and uneventful. There is still an hour until my flight leaves, though, so *knocks on wood*.

"Attention passengers, this is your captain speaking. Our flight has been diverted because Sundae has a pressing work issue to attend to that cannot wait and no one is competent enough to try to do work without him."

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

CancerCakes posted:

Business "we are desperate for this new product, all our customers keep demanding it"

R&D "please allocate us time on your line to validate the product"

Business "but that will cost me money"

Alternatively the dog holding a ball cartoon but with "no r&d only new products "

Sales: We already sold “new product” you need to drop what you are doing to support this new product (they don’t have a PO they went to lunch and the customers said it sounds neat)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"I have to go to my next meeting." (proceeds to talk for another 10 minutes with no end in sight)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Notice given, and it feels good. Technically three weeks notice, but with holidays and upcoming PTO, it's only seven work days

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't feel like I'm cut out for the corporate world. I'm incredibly gullible and naive and this has burned me on more than one occasion. I don't do well with office politics at all and can't poker face to save my life. I've received advice from multiple coworkers to not share and keep things close to my chest, the recurring theme has been "you're too much of an open book and people will take advantage of that". Coupled with my anxiety of being in the 'spotlight' / presenting, I think I'll just be held back and not advance up the corporate ladder. I'm currently an engineer but I'm thinking of trying to side shuffle into something programming related? My ex was a Computer Science major and her office was awesome, the people seemed great and the environment and freedom seemed lovely (WFH, employee break rooms with fun activities, regular office activities after working hours). My place seems stuck in the 1970s and is just a depressing cubicle hellhole.

The only aspect of my current job that I thoroughly enjoy is the nice interactions I have with coworkers, especially when we're working on a project and coming up with a solution as a team. I absolutely love that. However, there are a lot of people that are quite negative and don't like my 'new hire energy' and I'm tired of navigating all their nasty crap. It's taken a huge toll on my mental health. Even though management supports and likes me, I'm more often than not daydreaming of leaving or going somewhere else. But even the thought of changing company but keeping the same role doesn't entice me.

So, to anyone in the computer science field, would you recommend the side shuffle? Not to generalize, but most of the people at my ex's office seemed harmless and super nerdy, and I remember the CS students at uni were the same. I feel like I'd be a lot happier in that nerdy kind of environment. But maybe I'm just having grass-is-greener syndrome. I'm just tired of the existential dread and having the constant adrenaline dumps going into the office (mainly from having to give presentations). I'm on about £6500 a month but I'm a shut-in who loves staying at home so I'm really not actively using the money (so the thought of a pay cut doesn't frighten me).

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Qubee posted:

I don't feel like I'm cut out for the corporate world. I'm incredibly gullible and naive and this has burned me on more than one occasion. I don't do well with office politics at all and can't poker face to save my life. I've received advice from multiple coworkers to not share and keep things close to my chest, the recurring theme has been "you're too much of an open book and people will take advantage of that". Coupled with my anxiety of being in the 'spotlight' / presenting, I think I'll just be held back and not advance up the corporate ladder. I'm currently an engineer but I'm thinking of trying to side shuffle into something programming related? My ex was a Computer Science major and her office was awesome, the people seemed great and the environment and freedom seemed lovely (WFH, employee break rooms with fun activities, regular office activities after working hours). My place seems stuck in the 1970s and is just a depressing cubicle hellhole.

The only aspect of my current job that I thoroughly enjoy is the nice interactions I have with coworkers, especially when we're working on a project and coming up with a solution as a team. I absolutely love that. However, there are a lot of people that are quite negative and don't like my 'new hire energy' and I'm tired of navigating all their nasty crap. It's taken a huge toll on my mental health. Even though management supports and likes me, I'm more often than not daydreaming of leaving or going somewhere else. But even the thought of changing company but keeping the same role doesn't entice me.

So, to anyone in the computer science field, would you recommend the side shuffle? Not to generalize, but most of the people at my ex's office seemed harmless and super nerdy, and I remember the CS students at uni were the same. I feel like I'd be a lot happier in that nerdy kind of environment. But maybe I'm just having grass-is-greener syndrome. I'm just tired of the existential dread and having the constant adrenaline dumps going into the office (mainly from having to give presentations). I'm on about £6500 a month but I'm a shut-in who loves staying at home so I'm really not actively using the money (so the thought of a pay cut doesn't frighten me).

Most of this is company dependent, not entirely profession dependent. Comp sci folks end up in big depressing cubicle warrens too, and also have to deal with office politics. Not many end up in the happy "yay everything is free and we can relax in a beanbag chair in the sun while chatting with each other about the best mimosa place in town", googleplex or wherever.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Qubee posted:

I'm just tired of the existential dread and having the constant adrenaline dumps going into the office (mainly from having to give presentations).
I don't know your field, but there are lots of corporate jobs where you don't have to give presentations. And while there are a lot of threads on SA about the tech field, trying to get into it for the people rather than because you know you can handle and enjoy the work seems ill-advised.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I agree things are very company dependent but I'd also say software companies have a lot more people like you so the field is more conducive to people who are looking to do their job and help people when needed and not handle the politcs as much.

That stuff does help a lot though and you'll absolutely see people rise because of their political skill, but IN GENERAL, I'd say software companies are more easy going.

Your first job may not be at one of those places though.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Lol, the guy I've been complaining about was described as "inflexible and unable to change his approach to anything, particularly new ideas", this is from my manager who spoke to the (senior) other guy on the project who is also, I think, fed up with this poo poo.

It's nice to be right.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Is he being protected by an executive? Why is everyone apparently including his boss putting up with his poo poo?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is he being protected by an executive? Why is everyone apparently including his boss putting up with his poo poo?

I think there has been (and still is) a bunch of shifting around of teams in various divisions and more things like this are coming up, it's gonna be fun.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I wish there was a subtle way of telling my coworkers "it's not that I'm not picking up your slack because I don't like you, it's because I hate this corp and they have already extracted so much of my life from me that my baseline for interacting with them is 'veiled hostility,' and also, do your own loving reports"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
and P.S., just to be clear, I don't like you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Baddog posted:

Most of this is company dependent, not entirely profession dependent. Comp sci folks end up in big depressing cubicle warrens too, and also have to deal with office politics. Not many end up in the happy "yay everything is free and we can relax in a beanbag chair in the sun while chatting with each other about the best mimosa place in town", googleplex or wherever.

Cubical warrens would actually be a step up, it's all Open Office because it's cheaper it promotes spontaneous ideas!!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Eight-Six posted:

I wish there was a subtle way of telling my coworkers "it's not that I'm not picking up your slack because I don't like you, it's because I hate this corp and they have already extracted so much of my life from me that my baseline for interacting with them is 'veiled hostility,' and also, do your own loving reports"

If you find a way, tell me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"This would be a good opportunity to learn how to do this"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

and P.S., just to be clear, I don't like you.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I mean if you have a decent working relationship with them I think it's ok to say "I'm literally only doing the stuff in my job description because I don't want to do any work I'm not paid for".

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Lockback posted:

Oh this one's going in my back pocket.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
"I can't add value to this process"

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lockback posted:

This is what the lazy seniors love telling the new hires, it's an ingenious way of pawning off their own work and responsibilities to us under the guise of 'learning'. When we do go and ask them for help or guidance, they tell us to search for the answer ourselves because "our department doesn't encourage spoonfeeding".

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Qubee posted:

This is what the lazy seniors love telling the new hires, it's an ingenious way of pawning off their own work and responsibilities to us under the guise of 'learning'. When we do go and ask them for help or guidance, they tell us to search for the answer ourselves because "our department doesn't encourage spoonfeeding".

Well yeah the difference between the good and bad leader isn't saying it, it's what they do to help you learn.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
On the other hand it is really annoying when someone comes and asks you stuff without doing any attempt to find the info themselves. Especially when they do it repeatedly after you show them where to find similar information.

This is not a junior only problem :haw:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

priznat posted:

On the other hand it is really annoying when someone comes and asks you stuff without doing any attempt to find the info themselves. Especially when they do it repeatedly after you show them where to find similar information.

This is not a junior only problem :haw:

This depends; I have risen in my superior's eyes by being the only person in the room who can apparently use google and actually read a resulting webpage in depth.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Discendo Vox posted:

This depends; I have risen in my superior's eyes by being the only person in the room who can apparently use google and actually read a resulting webpage in depth.

Yeah having a good degree of self direction is surprisingly rare. It’s my main sticking point with coworkers and whether or not I’ll get along with them well or be on the verge of exasperation with them constantly. Always the main thing I try to find out if I am asked to interview people.

If anyone asks me how to do basic stuff (in standard stuff like Linux for example) that is easily googleable I will lose all respect for them. The same question has been asked online by millions.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Needing help is fine. Expecting people to do your job because you don't want to learn is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Lockback posted:

Needing help is fine. Expecting people to do your job because you don't want to learn is not.

Seriously. I've got a tendency to need to rubber duck things, but sometimes I really am asking for help with something. Maybe I'm just having a brain fart, whatever, but since I'm not asking about every single thing it's fine.

Similarly, I've had good coworkers and bad coworkers, and good coworkers still ask dumb questions sometimes. Given how many times I need to learn and relearn some Linux tool that I use for 5 minutes every month, it's not so much to just ask "hey can you look at this command and tell me what I seem to be missing here?" or "is there something that already exists that will just magic this entire script?"