Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Oh hell yes one of the sidegrades has a goddamn shiv. I distinctly remember that Ace Bobcat being a complete and utter bastard back when we first saw one.

:rms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

LeadSled posted:

Oh hell yes one of the sidegrades has a goddamn shiv. I distinctly remember that Ace Bobcat being a complete and utter bastard back when we first saw one.

I remember the fluff describing it as "made of pure bullshit". I forget which mission that was though

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

LeadSled posted:

Oh, that's not a shiv.

The Heavy Vibroblade is pretty nuts. For comparison: the Bobcat kicks for 9 damage.

An Atlas punches for 10 damage.

The Vibroblade hits for 14 (at a cost of 7 heat per round it's active).

Edit: Heat dissipation's off. It's got 13 double heat sinks, not 10.

Funny story though, one of the player sidegrades has single heatsinks.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 8, 2016

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Small shields are normally DA 3 / DC 11, it's a durability boost

Edit:

You were probably wondering when one of these would show up.

RIP AND TEAR!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Single heatsinks and three gauss rifles?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Time to rules of nature being used as a verb: decreasing

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

An ERML in every head location, a chicken in every pot.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

CalvinandHobbes posted:

I remember the fluff describing it as "made of pure bullshit". I forget which mission that was though

Caldera, turn 9.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

An ERML in every head location, a chicken in every pot.

Glad to see that Amaris is a fan of laser cigars.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

dis astranagant posted:

Only because it's an extra fancy lamellor shield. A standard small shield drops 3 damage off 11 hits. Larger shields lower your movement speed and the largest prevents jumping.

How about a small shield and regular body armor? Seems like that would be 12+3+1 (if interpreting the /2 body armor divisor as +1).
Also, something about the pilot being worth a hit too, or is the pilot always killed when structure loses zero if he isn't wearing any armor?

... Yul's back in the field I see. That's risky. Hope she doesn't get hit again with the consciousness checks and wounds she might quickly see.
She's improved her gunnery~
And Melania van Daal is down to 4 Piloting!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 8, 2016

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Are we going to get a Coyote to play with as well?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

How about a small shield and regular body armor? Seems like that would be 12+3+1 (if interpreting the /2 body armor divisor as +1).
Also, something about the pilot being worth a hit too, or is the pilot always killed when structure loses zero if he isn't wearing any armor?

Doesn't matter, if the `Mech loses all structure in a location everything in that location (including the pilot) is destroyed.

Bloody Pom posted:

Are we going to get a Coyote to play with as well?

Funny you should mention that...

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That Battlemech Lance. TAC time :getin:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Doesn't matter, if the `Mech loses all structure in a location everything in that location (including the pilot) is destroyed.

Funny you should mention that...

I like how all these incredibly bullshit mechs have bad reputations for being cannon fodder.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

I like how all these incredibly bullshit mechs have bad reputations for being cannon fodder.

Bad workmen always blame their tools.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Do anti-mech mines work differently in the Battletech universe? Because a large armoured vehicle that carries most of its mass far above the ground and has a very small contact patch with the ground seems ideal for running through minefields at minimal risk. Thunder ammunition seems to carry only 5 mines (from Sarna), would that really be enough?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Decoy Badger posted:

Do anti-mech mines work differently in the Battletech universe? Because a large armoured vehicle that carries most of its mass far above the ground and has a very small contact patch with the ground seems ideal for running through minefields at minimal risk. Thunder ammunition seems to carry only 5 mines (from Sarna), would that really be enough?

5 mines per individual LRM. So an LRM 20 is dumping a hundred mines in a 30 meter area.

A FASCAM Arrow IV dumps 1075 thunder mines in a 90 meter radius.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 8, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not all mines are set off only by pressure: you can design (and they are in widespread use today) mines that trigger on proximity to a big mass of ferrous metal. Or whatever.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Incredibly bullshit mechs

I haven't been this hype to see mechs in action since FrankenMania 3034. The Mojave series is a thing of beauty.

...I'm a bit worried how PTNs gonna balance things out, though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

LeadSled posted:

I haven't been this hype to see mechs in action since FrankenMania 3034. The Mojave series is a thing of beauty.

cloned Aths all in Hellstars

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I secretly hope "Radical Heat Sinks" are just those heat sinks that put off a laser light show when they bleed heat. :krad:

LeadSled posted:

The same way the Clans balance everything out. By being better than you at it. We'll get a bunch of tricks and neat gimmicks, the Clans will get a bunch of efficient weapons. We'll play to our strengths to try and soften theirs, and abuse the fact that they're mostly delusional idiots.

Just like the "real" Inner Sphere. :getin:

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

NOICE

Also, Radical Heat Sinks let you squeeze an extra point out each heat sink on demand but works like MASC on your (something, thought it was engine for a sec but that's supercharger)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I secretly hope "Radical Heat Sinks" are just those heat sinks that put off a laser light show when they bleed heat. :krad:

It's better than that. Y'know the coolant pods we saw a few missions ago?

It's like those, except instead of being one use it works like MASC (the more you use it, the higher the chance it fails). While it's active it turns double heatsinks into triple heatsinks letting you damage dump with impunity until you accidentally flush all your extra coolant and the system shuts itself off.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Decoy Badger posted:

A 20 point minefield blows up on a 8+ when a mech or vehicle enters it, dealing 20 damage to anything in the hex using the kick table and forces a motive system damage roll on vehicles. The minefield stays there, but may be reduced to a 15 point field on another 8+ roll. So it's not guaranteed but it'll gently caress your legs if you trip it and sticks around for the next guy to go through.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The NRWR has the fuckin Republic of the Sphere signature heavy

Aw yiss

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's better than that. Y'know the coolant pods we saw a few missions ago?

It's like those, except instead of being one use it works like MASC (the more you use it, the higher the chance it fails). While it's active it turns double heatsinks into triple heatsinks letting you damage dump with impunity until you accidentally flush all your extra coolant and the system shuts itself off.

Mechanically superior, to be sure. I guess the Space 80s could never truly be as radical as we hoped. :saddowns:

Seriously though, that's pretty cool. Especially on such a murderous looking machine. drat.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Aw yiss

I can finally get behind these designs now that they are finally in the right hands. Here is a Republic we can actually believe in.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
SHIELDS! You actually have a unit with a shield. Damnit PTN, I just had to be called up into a Dragoon II Type A instead.

Joking aside, really intrigued by the tech mixing that continues to be revealed by NRWR offerings.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I expect the Chancellor to take many heads next mission.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Aw yiss

Can't wait for the NRWR to throw out some more radically bullshit hypertech

No-gyro Machina Domini mechs when :(

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

That looks rad. Multi-trac is something I'd never heard of before, but seems very legit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's not all that useful. You suffer no penalties for firing at multiple targets in your front or side arcs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Seems to be a trainer, given the rumble seat. Not sure why a trainer needs anti infantry actuator protection but I guess that's just part of the base chassis.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe our handler for this mission is going to be riding shotgun?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Multi-targeting bonuses in BT tend not to be particularly gamebreaking because in a best case scenario every unit is focus firing on their optimal targets anyway. So taking away a secondary target modifier just means you only have to deal with the opportunity cost of not ensuring a solid kill rather than having to suffer both that and an actual roll penalty for your second shot.

It's a bit helpful when things are going wrong and you really, really need to split fire against two targets in non-overlapping range brackets but the secondary fire penalty is usually only a +1 TH anyway.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

Seems to be a trainer, given the rumble seat. Not sure why a trainer needs anti infantry actuator protection but I guess that's just part of the base chassis.

Most heavies and assaults have a rumble seat, don't read too much into it. :shrug:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Bloody Pom posted:

Maybe our handler for this mission is going to be riding shotgun?

Literal shotgun. An NRWR power armor guy with a man portable LBX autocannon.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Yeah, the Lament is a bit too stacked to give to a greenhorn and does not really have a diverse enough load out to be a good trainer.

Edit: Also one of the only times I think a tarcomp would be counter-intuitive.

Picard Day fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

You were probably wondering when one of these would show up.

All my begging has finally payed off. :allears:

• Locked thread