Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Merry Deciever posted:

Yea, the Fume Knight blows. Leaps out of the way of my big bonk stick when I use it, is too hard to hit with a regular club, so I'm switching to my +5 Butcher's Knife. Seems to work well enough, though he still basically three shots me

fwiw there's a 12th item but after the fume kinght

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Fume knight is a hard fight, but not unfair.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I usually leave the very first idol without using the wedge so when I beat Fume Knight, use it for the start of the DLC and to get the soul.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fume knight is my big and beautiful husband, who I love despite being from ds2-much like being married to someone who grew up in detroit

Merry Deciever
Aug 20, 2015
Pillbug
whew, did the frozen outskirts. The HORSE spawns were annoying, but I had an NPC team. Only died once to the Twin Tiger boss~ All in all the ice DLC is much less frustrating than the fire one. Found all the knights, so now to kill the King in the Oblivion gate (Went in there with only one knight my first time, heh)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Merry Deciever posted:

whew, did the frozen outskirts. The HORSE spawns were annoying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dgUgpa2oXo

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I had to burn an ascetic to re-fight lost sinner to try and get lucateil's quest done. God that fight is bullshit once the two pyros show up and start lobbing fireballs at you while you're trying to have a nice relaxing sword fight.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was so happy they put Fume Knight Ultra Greatsword in DS3 and then so sad it was not in Elden Ring (or something like it).

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I still havent done the frozen outskirts and I never will

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Frozen outskirts isn't so bad if you do it after getting the King's Crown so you won't have to spend effigies to be human.

Bring your pals Head of Vengarl, Abbess Feeva and Manhunter O'Harrah, then watch for the first landmark when the wind dies down, and hoof it over there. If any ponies show up, your posse will fight them. Wait for the wind to die down, look for the next landmark and haul rear end again. never stop to fight a pony. Run run run.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Control Volume posted:

I still havent done the frozen outskirts and I never will

I never beat the boss but I sure collected all the loot!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Frozen outskirts might be my favorite place to invade. I don't always get a hit, but when I do I know I'm guaranteed to be making someone's day a little more panic inducing

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

axolotl farmer posted:

Frozen outskirts isn't so bad if you do it after getting the King's Crown so you won't have to spend effigies to be human.

Bring your pals Head of Vengarl, Abbess Feeva and Manhunter O'Harrah, then watch for the first landmark when the wind dies down, and hoof it over there. If any ponies show up, your posse will fight them. Wait for the wind to die down, look for the next landmark and haul rear end again. never stop to fight a pony. Run run run.

Yeah, once I learned I can bring three whole NPC phantoms it wasn't so bad. I mean, it's still real bad, but I can finish it in one attempt or maybe two if I'm unlucky easily enough. The sword you can get from the boss Soul is one of my favorite From weapons ever. The shield is hilariously poo poo.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Yeah, the level and boss fight sucks, but everything about that sword is pure sexiness.

I wish other From games had the kind of wild or very different move sets you get on some weapons in DS2. That was one of my few disappointments with Elden Ring.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivsIU98-Adw
Limit Breakers proving that DS2 is the superior Souls for 52 minutes

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

giZm posted:

DS2 is a wonderful janky mess, and this video is worth watching. :fyadride:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

giZm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivsIU98-Adw

I really enjoyed this. :) DS2 is my favourite of the trilogy and vids like this help me put it into cohesive thought as to why.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

The video triggered me, currently reinstalling DS2 SOTFS. I don't think I actually beat any of the DLCs, or even acquired the MLGS according to the Steam achievements. Shameful.
Was that E3 presentation lighting mod ever finished?

e: doesn't look like it

giZm fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 24, 2023

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have been playing a full blown mod called Seeker of Fire and it has moved a ton of stuff around and makes it so you really have to explore everywhere.
I really dig it. I just finished Crown of the Sunken king and previously did Crown of the Ivory King without losing a single life. Felt pretty fantastic.

I do love how sprawling and long and packed with content it is. A feeling only matched for me by Elden Ring (Dark Souls II 2).

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

giZm posted:

acquired the MLGS

Hexer with the true MLGS was a fun build. Recommended!

e: The trophy is for the fake MLGS. The true one is the good one.

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 24, 2023

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

VideoGames posted:

I have been playing a full blown mod called Seeker of Fire and it has moved a ton of stuff around and makes it so you really have to explore everywhere.
I really dig it. I just finished Crown of the Sunken king and previously did Crown of the Ivory King without losing a single life. Felt pretty fantastic.

I do love how sprawling and long and packed with content it is. A feeling only matched for me by Elden Ring (Dark Souls II 2).

Augur of Darkness is pretty decent too. It came out a bit earlier than Seeker of Fire and has more jank to it, but it's also a lot more cavalier and experimental with its changes, while Seeker of Fire felt more like a Dark Souls 1 fan trying to make a Master Quest version of Dark Souls 2.

As an example, here's Heide's in Augur of Darkness.

e: They may have since fixed it, but one of the weird bits is that your bloodstain would wind up on whatever the last piece of vanilla land you were standing on was. So you could die all the way out while doing some platforming puzzle but your souls wind up underneath a newly-placed pot by the ladder you climb to get to it.

The creator of Augur of Darkness really likes pots.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 24, 2023

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

Hexer with the true MLGS was a fun build. Recommended!

e: The trophy is for the fake MLGS. The true one is the good one.

Wait hang on there's two MLGSs? Can you powerstance them?

Also Hexer sounds like a good idea, there's multiple Dark Orbs, right?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

The NPC sitting by the ruins in the beginning has one, but it's a fake.

quote:

Also Hexer sounds like a good idea, there's multiple Dark Orbs, right?

Plenty of copies yeah, and the spell comes with genereous numbers of casts in itself, so it's your bread and butter for spamming damage. And DS2 has consumables to replenish spell casts.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Djeser posted:

Augur of Darkness is pretty decent too. It came out a bit earlier than Seeker of Fire and has more jank to it, but it's also a lot more cavalier and experimental with its changes, while Seeker of Fire felt more like a Dark Souls 1 fan trying to make a Master Quest version of Dark Souls 2.

As an example, here's Heide's in Augur of Darkness.

e: They may have since fixed it, but one of the weird bits is that your bloodstain would wind up on whatever the last piece of vanilla land you were standing on was. So you could die all the way out while doing some platforming puzzle but your souls wind up underneath a newly-placed pot by the ladder you climb to get to it.

The creator of Augur of Darkness really likes pots.

What on earth? That looks wild! And jumping platform puzzles? Sign me up!

I think I might have to give that a go.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Yes, indeed. Majula in 4k, and it barely taxes the system.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

giZm posted:

Was that E3 presentation lighting mod ever finished?
Do you mean Flames of Old? The dev has had some real-life troubles, but is still working on it, fortunately.

There's also the Firelink Edition mod, but that one's probably going to take a while.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

giZm posted:

Yes, you can powerstance them. The true one isn't available until NG+ unless you burn a bonfire ascetic and defeat The Duke's Dear Freya again to get Seath's soul.. Lore reasons.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Carpator Diei posted:

Do you mean Flames of Old? The dev has had some real-life troubles, but is still working on it, fortunately.

There's also the Firelink Edition mod, but that one's probably going to take a while.

that looks terrible imo. But more power to the modders i spose

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

burn a bonfire ascetic and defeat The Duke's Dear Freya again to get Seath's soul..
I will absolutely do that then, thank you for the heads-up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

giZm posted:

I will absolutely do that then, thank you for the heads-up.

You can also do it twice in a row and get two copies of the real sword. The fake is kind of lame, and intensity 3 Freya isn’t really harder than intensity 2

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I really want to grab DS2 again so I can try mods, but it never seems to be on sale on Steam.

There's gotta be a night-time mod for Majula, right?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

FireWorksWell posted:

I really want to grab DS2 again so I can try mods, but it never seems to be on sale on Steam.

There's gotta be a night-time mod for Majula, right?

It was 75% off last winter sale. Couldn't find a night-time Majula mod but I also didn't look very hard.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

And so it begins. Granted this was from a suicide run to get the Ring of Binding, but still. Also I'm going to basically Vlog this, just so I don't get distracted half-way through.

e: does ADP also determine casting speed or is it DEX again?

giZm fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 24, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Neither. It's mostly attunement, but some faith and intelligence too.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/casting-speed

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Neither. It's mostly attunement, but some faith and intelligence too.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/casting-speed
Neat, so it'll just get faster naturally. Thanks!
Oh man, now that old guy in No-Man's Wharf will actually talk to me for the first time, this is exciting.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Shameless double post.

Beat Pursuer and Last Giant, died once to invading Armorer Dennis, grabbed the The Tower Apart bonfire, then went back to Heide's to beat Dragonrider, died once more at No-man's Wharf because of greed, became BFF with Lucatiel, beat Flexile Sentry, grabbed Exile Holding Cells bonfire
Hit SL50 at that point.

DS2 always felt easier than the other Souls games, even more so now as a wizzard.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

You'll find that magic annihilates the base game, and then gets nerfed hard in the DLCs.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC it’s only spells specifically though so if you’re, say, a hexer, a dark infused weapon should still work fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
sotfs is absolutely harder than ds1 at least