Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

g-c posted:

im not gonna lie, I am so glad to be finished with dark souls remastered. coming off of sekiro and bloodborne to that was nearly excruciating. everything is so slow. that map design tho. I think my biggest problem with DS1 is the absurdly long boss runs like lost izalith. even with the shortcut past the titanite demon, the run takes what.. three minutes+?

That’s why you go from the hidden bonfire in the lava. Then the only reason to ever do the run you’re talking about is to farm Red or Demon Titanite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

HaB posted:

That’s why you go from the hidden bonfire in the lava. Then the only reason to ever do the run you’re talking about is to farm Red or Demon Titanite

IIRC the run from that bonfire is barely shorter

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

feelix posted:

IIRC the run from that bonfire is barely shorter

I realized my memory wasn't all that clear either, so I decided to test it this morning. Took me a minute to find a character that had it unlocked, since it's been forever that I have done a DS run. Nothing super scientific here, just using the stopwatch on my phone and tapping start as I got up from the bonfire, and stop as I crossed the fog gate line. Tried to sprint as much time as possible, didn't kill anything, and took fall damage if falling was faster. Character was fast rolling.

Daughter of Chaos: 02:04
Lava Bonfire: 1:16
and just out of curiosity I went from the first Demon Ruins bonfire too: 2:06

Didn't expect ANY of them to be that long - (would have guessed around a minute from DoC and like 30 secs from the lava), but there we go.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

IronicDongz posted:

if you're really tryharding you go all the way to dlc 2 for prisoner's chain+3(and maybe the other boosted rings)

There is no Prisoner's Chain +3.

Or +2, or +1.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man I got to irythill and ran around getting stuff in the DLC during the Texas freeze and let me tell you that was some next level immersion

Glad I managed to keep power throughout most of that endeavor but these areas had never felt as oppressive as when the freaking outdoors was a cold bitter nightmare. I've never in my entire life seen fluffy snow refreeze into rigid sheets of death and despair!

The sun is out now and the last four days feel like a weird fever dream that came and went just like that, though it's definitely an ongoing nightmare for people who had property damage or still don't have access to water etc

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

goblin week posted:

There is no Prisoner's Chain +3.

Or +2, or +1.
despite having 500 hours in this game and using both these rings on most of my builds I was thinking of ring of favor+3. probably because they're both pretty no-brainer rings to wear

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

despite having 500 hours in this game and using both these rings on most of my builds I was thinking of ring of favor+3. probably because they're both pretty no-brainer rings to wear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqeEl8_RgwY

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
holy poo poo i forgot how much bullshit is in cathedral of the deep

specifically the roof tops :| christ

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
The roof top is one of the best levels in DS3

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

g-c posted:

holy poo poo i forgot how much bullshit is in cathedral of the deep

specifically the roof tops :| christ

The cathedral knights really cannot deal with being led on a chase along the rafters

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

multijoe posted:

The cathedral knights really cannot deal with being led on a chase along the rafters

yeah i keep trying to rush through it which is the problem here. once i slowed down a little getting through that part and the rafters were pretty easy.

i accidentally murdered patches after he sent me to the giant but i don’t really feel so bad about it

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

e: Welp, I was wrong.

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 22, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I picked this up after like three years as I finally got bored with destiny 2, doing a strength build with high vitality so I can wear full lapp's set like a scrub

what are some weapons I should consider? here's what I have fully upgraded so far.

greatsword
fume ultra greatsword
astora greatsword
ringed knight paired greatswords
dragonslayer greataxe
quakestone hammer
ledo's great hammer
exile greatsword
gael's greatsword
smough's hammer

there are a few others I missed because I used the boss soul:

profaned greatsword
yhorm's great machete

My favorite two are definitely exile just because it's so broken, and it can be buffed and infused, and dragonslayer greataxe

I thought fume was okay, but I reallocated my stats back to 30 STR as I wasn't in love with it, so that and ledo's are just sitting in my collection right now.

Also I'm mainly doing co-op and invading, so there doesn't seem to be much incentive to do NG+, as I could get the +3 rings I wanted in the dlc

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 22, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is what I'm at, I can still reallocate a few more times, only thing I'm unsure about is how much vitality I want.

If I go up to 49 vitality that will be enough for both smough's and fume

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"what weapons should I consider" when you've fully upgraded 10 different weapons? just use whatever man these are all strength weapons so clearly you understand how scaling works

consider dropping lloyd's sword ring for havel's ring+3(found in ringed city) so you can drop some vit and put it into str though

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

"what weapons should I consider" when you've fully upgraded 10 different weapons? just use whatever man these are all strength weapons so clearly you understand how scaling works

consider dropping lloyd's sword ring for havel's ring+3(found in ringed city) so you can drop some vit and put it into str though

my understanding from the wiki I read was that you only need 26 STR to reach the soft cap if you are two handing

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You get enough extra points from 2 handing that the points over the soft cap can be worth it. Some dedicated str builds go all the way up to 66.

more importantly 44(49) vit is pretty excessive and lloyd's is not very good

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how is 10% increased damage not very good, especially when the weapons have really high ARs

I understand I need to be at full health, but that typically isn't an issue

edit: alt build if I do use havels+3 instead of lloyds

vig 27
end 40
vit 29
str 66
dex 18

this puts me just under 70% with the same armor using the dragonslayer greataxe

or vig 22 puts me at 120 and hits the soft cap of 27 vig with chain on

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 22, 2021

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

actionjackson posted:

this is what I'm at, I can still reallocate a few more times, only thing I'm unsure about is how much vitality I want.

If I go up to 49 vitality that will be enough for both smough's and fume

Depending on which platform you're on, there's a reallocation glitch that allows for infinite reallocation!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Depending on which platform you're on, there's a reallocation glitch that allows for infinite reallocation!

oh cool, I am on PS4

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

actionjackson posted:

how is 10% increased damage not very good, especially when the weapons have really high ARs

I understand I need to be at full health, but that typically isn't an issue

edit: alt build if I do use havels+3 instead of lloyds

vig 27
end 40
vit 29
str 66
dex 18

this puts me just under 70% with the same armor using the dragonslayer greataxe

or vig 22 puts me at 120 and hits the soft cap of 27 vig with chain on
Dragonslayer greataxe has a worse boost pumping strength compared to smough's, so if you're planning on using that I would take some of those points off strength for either more vig(better to go over 27, that's a pretty generous softcap and you still get good return up to 40) or more faith for the lightning damage. You could also put a light blessed weapon(like a dagger or buckler or something) in your offhand slot for a bit of regen, but the benefit is pretty minimal.

for comparison's sake, at 30 strength 2H smough's has 598 AR, at 66 it has 668.
Heavy exile's greatsword goes from 571 to 658, in that case an even better boost.
So you're gaining more than 10% damage, and you have it all the time rather than some of the time. Pretty worth it for a high level build with those weapons to get huge strength.

Dragonslayer greataxe goes from 566 physical to 582 from 30 to 40 str, which is pretty worth it. Going all the way up to 66 str only gets you up to 614, 32 more points-which is not that great when you consider you could either get a lot more HP or go from 9 faith to 35, going from 142 to 181 lightning damage(+39). Hell, you could even cast some miracles with a little build tweaking.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 22, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks! I forgot about the faith lightning damage part. It might be nice to have some faith for extra healing during co-op anyway.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

actionjackson posted:

oh cool, I am on PS4

Yup, that's the one!

Basically you simply respec, accept the changes, then still while in Rosaria's menu, quit the application. When you reload the game, the respec will have saved but your pale tongue / allotment for that NG cycle will not be used up.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cool ty friend

I'm thinking just do 15 faith, so I can use med heal with canvas talisman

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
15 faith is also the requirement for tears of denial

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh geez I have five more endurance than I need because I have prisoners chain, how embarrassing

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

actionjackson posted:

oh geez I have five more endurance than I need because I have prisoners chain, how embarrassing

good news you can reset your stats in-game

better news you can reset your stats in-game without paying the currency for it

best news you can use software to edit your stats

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Frida Call Me posted:

good news you can reset your stats in-game

better news you can reset your stats in-game without paying the currency for it

best news you can use software to edit your stats

there's software to do it if you are on PS4? I figured that would be a PC only thing

side note: one regret I have about not having a PC, some of the mods are pretty cool

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

actionjackson posted:

there's software to do it if you are on PS4? I figured that would be a PC only thing

side note: one regret I have about not having a PC, some of the mods are pretty cool

oh sorry, strike that last line if you're a console player. and maybe the second to last line, i'm not 100% sure if pc glitches carry over to ps4.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I had a really good time with Cinders and am down to mod any dark souls game now. What are some of the best for 1, 2 or 3?

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

-What's the purple meter that shows up when a boss hits me and takes a minute to go down?
-I've got a 'raw' sword that hits pretty hard, doesn't scale on anything. Should I say "gently caress it" to pumping dexterity, since I don't seem to need it now?
-The fire gem things can infuse a right hand weapon, it says. As far as I can tell, all weapons can use either hand. Can I infuse anything? I think I want to infuse a whip with fire and use it in my left hand, sword in my right. It looks like the fire thing changes a weapon from, say, 100 phys damage to 80 phys damage plus 80 fire damage. Probably good to do fire damage since I have pretty high INT? Sorry, I'm confused.
-Is my character less nimble because I'm wearing plate?

Mescal fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 23, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

purple meter - an actual boss (if so which one?) or just a powerful enemy? because it sounds like a status effect like poison, bleed, frostbite or toxic

you can't infuse all weapons, the various wikis will list which you can and cannot

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Raw weapons gets a flat damage bonus. Good for the early game, but eventually using a sharp weapon gives you better damage for a dex build.

Fire (lightning, dark etc) infusions work in either hand, but resins and bundles only give a temp buff to the right hand weapon.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

actionjackson posted:

purple meter - an actual boss (if so which one?) or just a powerful enemy? because it sounds like a status effect like poison, bleed, frostbite or toxic

you can't infuse all weapons, the various wikis will list which you can and cannot

Just a powerful enemy. I thought it was bleed or something, but I wasn't losing HP while it was up.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mescal posted:

-What's the purple meter that shows up when a boss hits me and takes a minute to go down?
-I've got a 'raw' sword that hits pretty hard, doesn't scale on anything. Should I say "gently caress it" to pumping dexterity, since I don't seem to need it now?
-The fire gem things can infuse a right hand weapon, it says. As far as I can tell, all weapons can use either hand. Can I infuse anything? I think I want to infuse a whip with fire and use it in my left hand, sword in my right. It looks like the fire thing changes a weapon from, say, 100 phys damage to 80 phys damage plus 80 fire damage. Probably good to do fire damage since I have pretty high INT? Sorry, I'm confused.
-Is my character less nimble because I'm wearing plate?

1. Could be Poison/Toxic/Curse. Curse will instantly kill you, so don't let that happen.
2. Raw weapons are strong early on but get left in the dust very quickly by weapons with actual scaling. They're only useful for pure casters who need something to buff with their spells. If you're leveling DEX, Sharp infusion is the way to go.
3. You can infuse most generic weapons/shields with the gems you find lying around, though infusing shields is only worth it if you're doing simple/blessed for fp/hp regen. Infusing an element will split the weapon's base damage between physical+element. Fire infusions are similar to raw infusions in that they remove scaling and are generally only good early-game. Chaos infusions however, will add fire damage *and* scale with INT+FTH. They're great for pyromancy builds. If you're playing INT/DEX forgo the elemental infusions and just cast Magic/Great Magic/Crystal Magic Weapon.
4. Probably. Keep your equip load under 70% at all times. The defense provided by rags compared to actual armor is very insignificant. The monster that can flatten you in 3 hits while you're wearing a bathrobe will still kill you in 3 hits if you were wearing plate mail. The important thing is to be wearing anything at all, and look good while you do it. Fashion Souls is the endgame.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 23, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Is armour not making much difference a Dark Souls 3 thing or has it been fairly consistent since DeS? I only just recently picked up DS3 not having played anything since DS1 when it was first released.

I'm not complaining mind. I got to bring faith to the Smouldering Lake in my Archdeacon duds.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Elissimpark posted:

Is armour not making much difference a Dark Souls 3 thing or has it been fairly consistent since DeS? I only just recently picked up DS3 not having played anything since DS1 when it was first released.

I'm not complaining mind. I got to bring faith to the Smouldering Lake in my Archdeacon duds.

It's all over the place. In decreasing order of armor mattering: DS1>DS2>DS3>DeS>BB

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Mescal posted:

Just a powerful enemy. I thought it was bleed or something, but I wasn't losing HP while it was up.
If it was bleed, you only lose HP(in one big chunk) when the bar fills up all the way.
Poison also needs to fill up all the way, and then does damage continuously for a while.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

4. Probably. Keep your equip load under 70% at all times. The defense provided by rags compared to actual armor is very insignificant. The monster that can flatten you in 3 hits while you're wearing a bathrobe will still kill you in 3 hits if you were wearing plate mail. The important thing is to be wearing anything at all, and look good while you do it. Fashion Souls is the endgame.

This last bit isn't entirely true, the difference between extremely light armour like the Master's Set and an ultra heavy set like Havel's about about 30% damage reduction, which definitely equates to stretching three hits into four and alot of two hits into three. It's not as sweeping as DS1's damage reduction but it'll still save your life plenty of times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

has Gael always been so janky during co-op? Dude is practically surfing around the map