Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
you need a 4090 to play Galaga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

hatty posted:

you need a 4090 to play Galaga

I was kind of being sarcastic, but also I have no clue how much power those reflective megabezels and whatnot take to run stuff at full speed. I tried them out on batocera and they brought my little mini-pc to its knees no matter what I was trying to play.

I should load them up on my 3080 and see if it is up to the task.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I just spent hours setting up and recording exactly what I like on my room TV for batocera/retroarch emulators to get a perfect (to me) CRT shader set. Then I turned on the performance screen and noticed it makes pretty much every game I like to play on arcade run at 52fps instead of 60fps and now I'm super mad

I'd say most arcade games have weird, non-standard refresh rates. Not 52, though. Generally, like 54 through 60. Galaxian hardware runs slightly above that, like 60.10 or something.

RetroArch is a pain to work with when playing arcade games at "accurate" speeds. There's an option to automatically change refresh rates, which should be set to On, but not all arcade games report the correct rate to the core, which doesn't get passed back to 'Arch. So then you need to set it yourself ("Vertical Refresh Rate"). And then, 'Arch doesn't like setting certain custom refresh rates, so in that case you have to edit the main CFG file to make them stick. I ran into that exact issue with DonPachi (57.444853 hz).

If you have it hard-set to 60hz and you're only getting 52, that's may be a performance issue on your end. Which cores are you using? Which shaders? How many shader passes? Which video drivers? Latency settings?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ofecks posted:

I'd say most arcade games have weird, non-standard refresh rates. Not 52, though. Generally, like 54 through 60. Galaxian hardware runs slightly above that, like 60.10 or something.

RetroArch is a pain to work with when playing arcade games at "accurate" speeds. There's an option to automatically change refresh rates, which should be set to On, but not all arcade games report the correct rate to the core, which doesn't get passed back to 'Arch. So then you need to set it yourself ("Vertical Refresh Rate"). And then, 'Arch doesn't like setting certain custom refresh rates, so in that case you have to edit the main CFG file to make them stick. I ran into that exact issue with DonPachi (57.444853 hz).

If you have it hard-set to 60hz and you're only getting 52, that's may be a performance issue on your end. Which cores are you using? Which shaders? How many shader passes? Which video drivers? Latency settings?

It was 100% a shaders thing, when I use shades that do like one thing, it works fine. I was trying to see how much of a difference the https://github.com/CyberLabSystems/CyberLab-Mega-Bezel-Death-To-Pixels-Shader-Preset-Pack pack here would make. And it does look really good! But it also loads like 20 something loving shader settings on top of each other to make it happen, which causes issues, even in very performant FBNeo arcade games, like I mentioned.

I'm also trying to get all this working on an old macbook pro with an amd graphics card inside that hates something about those specific shaders. That's the FPS issue, it rocks the hell out of the GPU with a bunch of shaders layered. So I settled on using the bone stock crt/guest.r shaders included in RetroArch, since they're much more performant and honestly look good enough.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Don't remember seeing this posted, new NES Rugrats game coming out. Will also be available on modern consoles. Physical editions go on sale tomorrow on Limited Run Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX0UyVgDQi4

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Is there a preferred composite mod kit for the original famicom? I did my US top loader with a small breakout board and someone here sent me a multi out connector. But I wonder if something else has come along.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I don't know for sure, but I imagine most modders do the RGB mod then wire up the multi-out same as SNES.

The RGB board is still getting updates periodically, but I don't know about the NA toploader composite solution. Seems like a much more niche thing for a smaller userbase.

When in doubt, PM our resident goon tinkerer-for-hire Monitor Burn.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

katkillad2 posted:

Don't remember seeing this posted, new NES Rugrats game coming out. Will also be available on modern consoles. Physical editions go on sale tomorrow on Limited Run Games.

God this is some cursed poo poo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Isnt Tommy just a Bonk edit? Is Konami or whoever owns bonk these days involved?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

katkillad2 posted:

Is this a for-real NES game? Like will it run on NES hardware? The HD version looks like trash but the 8-bit version looks pretty OK.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Oh god they really did send everything in a separate box :negative:

One of them is an entire box with just a single Densha de Go 2 game disc in it :doh: (though the other boxes all have multiple items). At most this should've been two boxes.. I will wait and order everything at once from now on, gently caress.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Substandard posted:

Is this a for-real NES game? Like will it run on NES hardware? The HD version looks like trash but the 8-bit version looks pretty OK.

LRG have a for realsies NES version on their storefront so I guess so.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/rugrats-adventures-in-gameland/products/rugrats-adventures-in-gameland-nes

Presumably that one doesn’t include HD mode!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can an nes even create a single hd frame?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Y'all may want to look into how Limited Run operates before ordering. They take ages to ship stuff out & if you're just looking for the novelty of a new-production NES game there's quite a few around.

My one and only order with Limited Run was a group of in-stock switch games placed on February 10, 2023, and finally shipped November 13, 2023. Probably would've been much later had I not contacted support every couple of months.

I'm sure there are counter examples but when I was looking into if this was SOP there are a lot of reports like mine & quite a few even longer.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I remember how everyone clamored for the new Rugrats title as a youth.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Nancy posted:

My one and only order with Limited Run was a group of in-stock switch games placed on February 10, 2023, and finally shipped November 13, 2023.
What did you order that they actually had the items "in stock"? The vast majority of their sales are preorders.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Limited Run sucks. And I just got a shipment notification from them for P3 and P4. drat me and my love of physical media.

Seriously, though. LRG is awful. Most of what they are doing now is just finding any and every digital release or old release they can get their hands on. It's cynical as gently caress. When they started they were doing good work by putting the really good stuff out. But now it's just all the garbage, too.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Is there a preferred composite mod kit for the original famicom? I did my US top loader with a small breakout board and someone here sent me a multi out connector. But I wonder if something else has come along.

https://backofficeshow.com/shop/famicom-psu-av-replacement-board

this is what I've been eyeing for a while, it replaces the entire rear board so presumably you get cleaner power as well.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That looks very promising thank you.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

The fact that LRG lets people order multiple copies of things says all it needs to, they know at this point that collectors and scalpers weirdos are the ones keeping them afloat and everyone else has stopped caring.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

holefoods posted:

The fact that LRG lets people order multiple copies of things says all it needs to,
For open preorders, why does it matter? Amazon/Target/BB lets me purchase multiple copies of the same game.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Are all of their prints open preorders now? If so, then you’re right about that but if they’re doing any limited to X copies still then the point stands.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

holefoods posted:

Are all of their prints open preorders now?
The vast majority of their stuff has been for six years now--that's why they take so long to ship because they take orders before they go to manufacturing.

I think they occasionally do have some items that are limited in quantity due to the lead time of manufacturing being even longer than typical. I think they do have order limits on those items.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I'm not going to defend LRG but for this specific game it's a pre-order for a brand new game with an estimate of October, so yea you wouldn't get it anytime soon. I was too old for Rugrats and kind of hated it the few times I did have it on, but I love the NES and new NES games are cool and I'll probably pick it up :shrug:

Got this in the mail today, alleged to be vaporware by some people. The Morph 4k scaler from PixelFX:

I don't really understand the drama over this. It's several hundred dollars cheaper than the RT4k, only difference is right now it's HDMI only but an analog board is supposed to release in the next few months. Supposedly some of the bigger youtubers are refusing to review it or make comparison videos with the RT4k. Kind of seems like a lot of people just picked a side for some reason. More options, especially at different price points, is better for everyone. Going to spend the day playing with it :swoon:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

It's because the retrogaming scene is made up of a million fragile egos and no one can keep their mouth's shut.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

katkillad2 posted:

I'm not going to defend LRG but for this specific game it's a pre-order for a brand new game with an estimate of October, so yea you wouldn't get it anytime soon. I was too old for Rugrats and kind of hated it the few times I did have it on, but I love the NES and new NES games are cool and I'll probably pick it up :shrug:

Got this in the mail today, alleged to be vaporware by some people. The Morph 4k scaler from PixelFX:

I don't really understand the drama over this. It's several hundred dollars cheaper than the RT4k, only difference is right now it's HDMI only but an analog board is supposed to release in the next few months. Supposedly some of the bigger youtubers are refusing to review it or make comparison videos with the RT4k. Kind of seems like a lot of people just picked a side for some reason. More options, especially at different price points, is better for everyone. Going to spend the day playing with it :swoon:

I believe PixelFX made some some lovely personal attacks against Mike Chi, calling him greedy. Stuff like that is an automatic turnoff to me and will prevent me from buying a company's products (see also TerraOnion against Krikzz). And cost of materials aside, if it's selling out at $750, he could and probably should be charging way more for it.

But there's also the fact that the RT4K, while it is Mike's baby, has been much more of a community project with lots of people contributing to it's development and feature set for over a year now. Mike has a great community reputation, continues to pile on new features years after release, and has made great product after great product with features that no other scalers have delivered before.

So I think the community has some valid reasons to not give PixelFX the time of day if they're not going to be good community members.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Still waiting on PixelFX to produce the Infinity Switch. It's been two years since the last news on it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Speaking of LRG a while back I found this shirt at my local Goodwill somehow

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What did you order that they actually had the items "in stock"? The vast majority of their sales are preorders.

At the time, I ordered Strife (mid-2022 release), Fairy Fencer F (2020), and Ys Origin (2017 I think?). They're not really a limited release or preorder only publisher anymore, despite the name; a lot of what they put out nowadays are non-numbered games.

e: feel like I'm beating a dead horse a little, but looked through my emails & this is what I got back from LRG support in April 2023 & I didn't receive a shipping confirmation until Nov 2023. Not saying don't order stuff or anything, you will get your stuff, just be aware it may take a long time. Also their support is pretty speedy at responding to tickets :v:

Nancy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 7, 2024

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
feels like a rugrats game should have been for SNES if anything. weird choices all around.

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006
Sometimes Limited Run produces a game I've never heard of that looks cool so I buy it. Then I forget about it and one day a surprise shows up in the mail. It's fun.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What do I do with these cards? Do they have value?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

What do I do with these cards? Do they have value?

They have zero value. I never figured out what to do with them myself. I guess you can stick them in your bicycle spokes to make a cool sound.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

katkillad2 posted:

Yeah I'm not super clued into The Scene but the lack of details about the morph 4k and even the ossc pro seems really apparent given they've been available for a minute now - just from twitter and YouTube it seems like theres a definite clique of retrorgb/voultar/Mike chi and others all signal boosting each other and the tink 4k to the detriment of everything else

I get that Mike is basically a treasure and puts insane work into these things and collabs with people so there's a ton of goodwill there but like...you should probably cover his competition if you're retrorgb and aiming to be a reference for the community? It feels really cliquey which is a bit of a bummer, if you hate it just say so instead of just subtweeting every so often

If you do have impressions it'd be cool to read, there are basically no other reviews online due to aforementioned embargo lol. I have a tink 5x with absolutely no plans to upgrade so happy to sit on the sidelines and just observe the drama

Not the Messiah fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 7, 2024

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

SeductiveReasoning posted:

I believe PixelFX made some some lovely personal attacks against Mike Chi, calling him greedy.

That is pretty lovely, Mike should be able to sell at whatever cost he feels like and all the work he'll put into it afterwards it's not like he could raise the price realistically. I'm just not sure it deserves the response it has gotten.

Not the Messiah posted:

Yeah I'm not super clued into The Scene but the lack of details about the morph 4k and even the ossc pro seems really apparent given they've been available for a minute now - just from twitter and YouTube it seems like theres a definite clique of retrorgb/voultar/Mike chi and others all signal boosting each other and the tink 4k to the detriment of everything else

I get that Mike is basically a treasure and puts insane work into these things and collabs with people so there's a ton of goodwill there but like...you should probably cover his competition if you're retrorgb and aiming to be a reference for the community? It feels really cliquey which is a bit of a bummer, if you hate it just say so instead of just subtweeting every so often

Yea I didn't want to get into specific examples to stir the pot I'm complaining about, but Voultar has literally been slandering PixelFX team members and I tend to be on the opposite side of things when it comes to him 100% of the time. They've sent their mob into the PixelFX discord, comment/review bombing previously highly regarded HDMI mods. Claiming this scaler is vaporwear when they've delivered on every previous launch release. Competition is good and if it weren't for the Morph the RT4k would have probably been a lot more expensive. I'm mostly annoyed at the lack of coverage and comparisons. I mean those reviewers can do whatever they want with their time, but pretending a cheaper alternative doesn't exist just hurts the community.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
3 hours till I probably blow some more money on things I don't need. Maybe.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
“Who’s bitch tits moaning about today” is the only line of inquiry I get from my girlfriend when she catches me watching a retrorgb roundup.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Is there an actual review embargo, or is it just that test units haven't gotten to reviewers? I do remember when some people would ask PixelFX about if the Morph would have certain bilinear filtering or scaling options, they would get a vague "well the chipset can support it in theory" answer in response. So the reason why people aren't talking about it might be due to the lack of communication about what the Morph actually supports; there isn't a lot to talk about until the analogue module is out and it can be tested.

This is in contrast to weekly updates from Mike showing videos footage of what the new Retrotink filter or mode looks like and answering questions about it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

3 hours till I probably blow some more money on things I don't need. Maybe.

It's the Thursday night countdown. I already have a shortlist of things I need to pick up, too, since I need some particular research material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If you're interested in a game from LRG (and specifically not their big CEs), just sign up for VGP's newsletter. They're the official Canadian outlet for LRG, get a huge portion of the production overruns, and don't tend to put LRG stuff up until it's in hand. They're also close to the border, so if you're in the US and don't order enough for free shipping, it's still only like 5 bucks.