Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Part of my confusion is that I thought Commissar was saying $character, unlike the other girls, was assigned male at birth and was a trans woman. Not that I would have gotten the assigned female, actually male reading either.

Those are valid readings and gently caress the TERFs for claiming Pratchett. GNU and may he be writing on the great typewriter in the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Ratjaculation posted:

So they are both cunts?

Nah these XXXXX have been in town for two weeks harassing the locals and . They've been honking their horns 24/7, beating up shop keepers, review bombing businesses who won't do what they want, intimidating random people on the street, literally breaking into a locked room and breaking an elderly woman's wrists, and tearing down some barriers so they could park in land set aside for a mental health charities big annual fund raiser.

Canberrans loving loath these people. Now that they're dispersed and can no longer immediately call on a bunch of "pals", they're going to find this place very unwelcoming.

Edit: ~decorum preserved.

Party Ape fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 13, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What's up with so many posters constantly saying oval office like they are 13 year olds who discovered a naughty word. It's been going on seemingly all over the forums for the past several days.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Zushio posted:

Speaking of schad was The Watch show as bad as the trailer made it look?

I've only seen the first episode, but yes. It felt like they'd written an entirely different show, with entirely different characters, and then forced a bunch of Discworld aspects on top of that.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The Australians shed thier skins in the late winter so they are all over the place.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

steinrokkan posted:

What's up with so many posters constantly saying cnut like they are 13 year olds who discovered a naughty word. It's been going on seemingly all over the forums for the past several days.

Yeah, it's been like and unstoppable rising tide lately.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hihohe posted:

The Australians shed thier skins in the late winter so they are all over the place.

Is it not summer for those southern hemisphere weirdos?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Yeah, it's been like and unstoppable rising tide lately.

Tell the admins to give me mod powers, and I'll slam that probe/ban button for hours.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

steinrokkan posted:

What's up with so many posters constantly saying oval office like they are 13 year olds who discovered a naughty word. It's been going on seemingly all over the forums for the past several days.

I like that you fixated on that rather than the elderly woman with the broken wrists. Won't someone think of the ~~decorum~~

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Party Ape posted:

I like that you fixated on that rather than the elderly woman with the broken wrists. Won't someone think of the ~~decorum~~

Why are goons breaking the wrists of eldery women???

Oh wait, they're not and it's two seperate issues in two seperate places :monocle:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Party Ape posted:

I'm not offended, just curious

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

I'm not offended, just curious

I didn't say you were offended. Just that I like to think that the standout issue in my paragraph is the aggravated assault and not the rude word. But for the sake of the decorum, I'll edit it out.

Ed: just to be clear, I want to keep the conversation focused on the fact that this is a bunch of cooked sov cits, anti vaxxers and neo Nazis. Do not feel sorry for them, they are not the good guys.

Anyway, the cops investigated and issued her a ticket for negligent driving. I don't think you can get a jury trial for that in our state but also it's just a traffic infringement rather than something that goes on your record.

Party Ape fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 13, 2022

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe everyone's come down with a bad case of upcunt.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe everyone's come down with a bad case of upcunt.

Maybe Jim Jeffries is touring again.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

A lot of people here aren't american and find it incongruous that it would be forbidden in the first place.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

shut up bitch

happy?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

vittu

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

steinrokkan posted:

What's up with so many posters constantly saying **** like they are 13 year olds who discovered a naughty word. It's been going on seemingly all over the forums for the past several days.

you can't say that word here mate

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SilvergunSuperman posted:

shut up bitch

happy?

yeah, pičo

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

I may have to re-read Monstrous Regiment again, but IIRC the Tumblr screenshot I saw pointed out that Maladict is the one who gave Polly the socks she'd need to pad her trousers, implying that he needed them to 'prove' he was physically male. However, when he goes from vampire to bat swarm and back to vampire again, he retains his clothes, which seems to be something only vampire men can do. Contrast Sally von Humpeding from Thud!- she does not retain her clothes when transforming from bats to vampire again, for example. After all, the Disc runs on narrativium, and 'sexy male vampire' is a different archetype from 'sexy female vampire'.

People also like to read Maladict as non-binary/agender, since he doesn't seem comfortable with either cis male or female gender roles, and I do admit it's a valid of the character. Still, I think that taking the whole transformation thing into consideration (assuming it's not Pterry messing up his vampire lore), I have to agree with the poster that Maladict is a trans man on the whole.

This post made me realize how much of Monstrous Regiment I've forgotten, so I have no choice but to re-read it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cable Guy posted:

:australia:

Edit: one of them is flying the red ensign on their car... so do the maths I guess...

It's a little hard to tell from the video but it's probably a federation flag. Those freaks go nuts for that thing. A lot of them don't know the difference though and so end up with the wrong one but the federation flag is the one that they go for.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

fuckin' trekkies

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Call Your Grandma posted:

A lot of people here aren't american and find it incongruous that it would be forbidden in the first place.

Fuckin seppos and :decorum:

Victis fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 13, 2022

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Shaking lemur butt posted:

I've only seen the first episode, but yes. It felt like they'd written an entirely different show, with entirely different characters, and then forced a bunch of Discworld aspects on top of that.

I didn't know that show existed until now, wish I didn't.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

drat, got the Foundation treatment huh

The Flour Moth
May 22, 2001

WHAT HATH PONIES WROUGHT

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

This post made me realize how much of Monstrous Regiment I've forgotten, so I have no choice but to re-read it.

I'm sorry for your loss happy for your gain

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Inceltown posted:

It's a little hard to tell from the video but it's probably a federation flag. Those freaks go nuts for that thing. A lot of them don't know the difference though and so end up with the wrong one but the federation flag is the one that they go for.
It's (the) red...

https://thebigsmoke.com.au/2021/11/20/why-anti-government-groups-fly-that-red-flag/

quote:

The Australian red ensign – a red version of the familiar Australian flag – has appeared all over the news and social media in recent months. The question is, why?

Historically associated with Australia’s commercial shipping vessels, the merchant navy, the flag has recently been adopted by people involved in anti-lockdown and anti-government movements....

...the Australian blue ensign was used only by the Commonwealth government. It did not become the general national flag until 1953.

Before that date, if citizens wanted a distinctive flag to signify an Australian rather than a British identity, they tended to (mis)use the Australian red ensign.

Why do SovCits use the Australian red ensign?

Unfortunately, the decentralised nature of the SovCit movement makes it difficult to reach definitive conclusions.

For a movement that has an inherent distrust of government, the flag’s historical usage as a “people’s flag” must seem appealing.

A similar appeal may derive from the fact the ANZACs fought under this flag (as Australian divisions of the British Army).

In both cases, though, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. In both cases, those historical usages spoke more to Australia’s identity as a British dominion.

Indeed, RSL Australia has condemned the flag’s use by protesters as disrespectful.

Alternatively, the usage may derive from the maritime nature of the flag. One of the more outlandish claims of the SovCits is that the only valid sources of law are the common law and “admiralty law”. As such, a maritime people’s flag must seem like the perfect symbol.

There are darker possibilities, too. For some people, it could be an attempt to mirror the use of the Canadian red ensign by the far-right. In Canada, white supremacists see their red ensign as a
throwback to a time when Canadians were overwhelmingly white.

In the US, the SovCit movement has explicitly racist and antisemitic roots, emerging from the Posse Comitatus movement led by the notorious preacher William Potter Gale.

A similar undertone may underpin the use of the flag in Australia, a racist yearning for a non-existent “golden age” when Australia was “free” and “white”.

To me, the use of this flag also suggests a yearning for certainty and a simpler past, that, though misguided and exclusionary, perhaps emerges from the collective trauma of the last two years.

In the minds of these fringe protesters, they are not law-breakers, but patriots who possess a deep and true understanding of the law.

Like the Australian red ensign itself, these movements take familiar images and ideas and twist them.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 13, 2022

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Wurzag posted:

I didn't know that show existed until now, wish I didn't.

What, you never wanted to know what Vimes would be like if he were more like Jack Sparrow??

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I mean, flying the actual Australian flag is also usually a good indicator that the person is a piece of poo poo, too, mistaking their brand of destructive insanity for patriotism.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Flying a county's flag in general seems to correlate with shitheadery

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Federal Red Ensign aka Federation Flag has the 6 points. The Red Ensign has 7 points on the star. It's quite likely that the lady has the 7 point current naval flag on her car and not the chud 6 point one is what I'm getting at. The 'do your own research' crowd aren't good at researching which hate symbol they should be flying.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

ante posted:

Flying a county's flag in general seems to correlate with shitheadery

What if it's the Post Office?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

drat, got the Foundation treatment huh

It's not a bad series if you treat it like it isn't based on the discworld characters and novels and instead just stole a bunch of ideas from them.

But, yeah like Starship Troopers, it is based on the back cover of a book.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Shaking lemur butt posted:

What, you never wanted to know what Vimes would be like if he were more like Jack Sparrow??

That's exactly what this version of Vimes reminds of, thank you for pointing that out. I also didn't know it existed until yesterday lmao. Having a trailer imitating the infamous Suicide Squad trailer immediately set off alarm bells.

One of the reviews I read said it's solid if you can pretend that it is in no way related to Discworld and try to enjoy it on its own merits. It genuinely does feel like someone wrote an unrelated script with a superficial resemblence to Guards! Guards! and the executive team slapped on the Discworld license out of fear of being sued/marketing hype.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hyperlynx posted:

mistaking their brand of destructive insanity for patriotism.

To be fair, patriotism is a brand of destructive insanity.

gleebster posted:

What if it's the Post Office?

why would the post office fly the national flag? :psyduck: are people afraid they'll forget what country they're in?

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r78gbipLFW1r0uzl6.mp4

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

It's true, and they should have said it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

ekuNNN posted:

why would the post office fly the national flag? :psyduck: are people afraid they'll forget what country they're in?

Because federal buildings usually fly the flag of the federal government? Like, I've definitely seen this outside of the United States.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Modern Leper posted:

Because federal buildings usually fly the flag of the federal government? Like, I've definitely seen this outside of the United States.

The post office is usually an outlet in a strip mall, here...

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1492907396846567428?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Inceltown posted:

The Federal Red Ensign aka Federation Flag has the 6 points. The Red Ensign has 7 points on the star. It's quite likely that the lady has the 7 point current naval flag on her car and not the chud 6 point one is what I'm getting at. The 'do your own research' crowd aren't good at researching which hate symbol they should be flying.
Aaah... I thought you meant the white Australian Federation Flag that's been used by Fraser Anning's mob...