Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

Apart from running Origins, supporting game stores is pretty much GAMA's raison d'etre. Turning up to the Trade Show and saying "why do we need B&M stores when we have the internet" is like turning up to Spielwarenmesse and saying "Why do we need game publishers when we can PNP".

Exactly. He couldn't possibly have expected any other result. Guess he just didn't care that much for the show in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sounds to me like a few influential figures bullied GAMA into this. I'm sure all the major publishers support Dice Tower for the attention they bring and Cool Stuff basically sponsors the show. Uninviting him is just a petty move and ironically proves his point about not propping up bad stores just because.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I know ive recommended that podcast before but the latest bretterwisser interview with uwe rosenberg is well worth listening. their interviews are the best part and talking to publishers and authors to find out how they collaborate in making games is very cool. like how it was the publishers idea to add monestarys to carcasonne because drawing an all grass tile was so bad.

You have to be able to understand german though.

e: he said if hes done with tetris games he would like to tackle deck building. also that there are 2 authors working on legacy versions of 2 of his games curently.

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 22, 2017

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

discount cathouse posted:

I know ive recommended that podcast before but the latest bretterwisser interview with uwe rosenberg is well worth listening. their interviews are the best part and talking to publishers and authors to find out how they collaborate in making games is very cool. like how it was the publishers idea to add monestarys to carcasonne because drawing an all grass tile was so bad.

e: he said if hes done with tetris games he would like to tackle deck building. also that there are 2 authors working on legacy versions of 2 of his games curently.

Thanks, listening to it right now

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

If Uwe starts making deckbuilders rip my wallet for all time

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I would like a legacy Bohnanza game.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I would like a legacy Bohnanza game.

he said "one if them is one of my succeful games you would least expect to be a legacy game", so its not that unlikely. theyll only publish it if its decent though.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Pretty much this.

His comments amounted to: do not shop at a LGS for the sole reason of shopping at an LGS if you can get a better price on a game you want online. If the LGS provides an ancilary service that is valuable to you - supports the community, good customer service, fun tournaments, a gaming space you like, etc., than by all means shop there and support them. An LGS is not inherently more worthy of your money by virtue of being an LGS.

Anyone taking exception with that is not a reasonable person by my reckoning, and is a hypocrite if they've ever purchased something from Amazon.

This is pretty much the only time I'm aware of where I'm in complete agreement with Tom Vasal.

What's the argument against this? Pay more for poo poo because... it's local? Talk about picking a fight with one of the (literally) biggest names in the industry over something that seems fairly cut and dry and that almost every consumer out there would get behind.

He can't keep getting away with it

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FulsomFrank posted:

What's the argument against this? Pay more for poo poo because... it's local? Talk about picking a fight with one of the (literally) biggest names in the industry over something that seems fairly cut and dry and that almost every consumer out there would get behind.

There are a lot of poorly run stores out there. And a lot of bad vocal gamers who frequent those stores (and are a big reason why those stores are bad).

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
One of the big local stores in my area is complete poo poo. The selection is great, and it's half a nice bookstore and half a nice board game space, but the staff are just unrepentant assholes about everything. I went in there to buy a set of dice for a d&d event happening at the bar next door (that they co-sponsor, even!) and they treated me like I was the biggest inconvenience for wasting their time with my purchase. If you're going to treat me like I am a burden when I shop at your business, then gently caress off I don't want to shop with you anymore!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Rad Valtar posted:

I mean I’m not one to defend Tom Vasal because of how lovely he is but nothing he said was even remotely bad and people are overreacting.

He didn’t say anything about getting rid of game stores, his point was we shouldn’t try to prop the bad ones up just to save them.

Yup, exactly.

And then some stores didn't bother listening to his comments properly and took immediately to social media to say 'Tom Vasel wants to kill our business!' and then their fans also didn't bother fact checking because they were hiding in their echo chambers, and thus outrage is manufactured.

Literally his whole point was 'continue supporting good stores, don't bother with bad stores, don't let bad stores guilt trip you into shopping there instead'.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXpsHyLSTOY&t=909s for what Tom actually said.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Kashuno posted:

One of the big local stores in my area is complete poo poo. The selection is great, and it's half a nice bookstore and half a nice board game space, but the staff are just unrepentant assholes about everything. I went in there to buy a set of dice for a d&d event happening at the bar next door (that they co-sponsor, even!) and they treated me like I was the biggest inconvenience for wasting their time with my purchase. If you're going to treat me like I am a burden when I shop at your business, then gently caress off I don't want to shop with you anymore!

This is crazy to me. Especially if you're in the US where you not only have Amazon kicking down your door but giant online retailers that appear to be constantly doing great sales.

Like, you have one job to do and it's not be a dick to people taking the time to walk into your brick & mortar operation when they could have just have easily bought it probably cheaper and easier online.

Luckily in Canuckistan I've never had any bad experiences since I believe that most places are happy you're buying in person and the really good stores are actually not gouging you so I'm more than happy to spend my cash there.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Thankfully my FLGS is entirely supported by Warhammer stuff, though I have bought a few things there because they do cool stuff like letting you demo brand new games they've just received.
I'm interested in learning more about Vassel, why is he so bad? Lots of casual boardgamers I know seem to like him.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

This is crazy to me. Especially if you're in the US where you not only have Amazon kicking down your door but giant online retailers that appear to be constantly doing great sales.

Like, you have one job to do and it's not be a dick to people taking the time to walk into your brick & mortar operation when they could have just have easily bought it probably cheaper and easier online.

Luckily in Canuckistan I've never had any bad experiences since I believe that most places are happy you're buying in person and the really good stores are actually not gouging you so I'm more than happy to spend my cash there.

my own experience is it's when the store owner or staff refuse to give a poo poo about stuff outside of their pet game interests, like magic, or warhams or whatever. most of those stores don't seem to last long anyway short of the guy being independently wealthy and the store is a hobby project

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AceRimmer posted:

Thankfully my FLGS is entirely supported by Warhammer stuff, though I have bought a few things there because they do cool stuff like letting you demo brand new games they've just received.
I'm interested in learning more about Vassel, why is he so bad? Lots of casual boardgamers I know seem to like him.

He likes lighter games and doesn’t provide real analysis during his reviews, and is nonetheless the biggest board game YouTube guy. Also possibly homophobic, I’m basing this on hearsay, I haven’t heard the actual comments myself.

Honestly if not for the possible homophobia I’d like the guy. He’s real positive and that’s only a bad thing if you count on him for analysis (don’t do that).

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
The only safe boardgame reviewer is calandale, the guy with the imaginary wife. :sigh:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AceRimmer posted:

The only safe boardgame reviewer is calandale, the guy with the imaginary wife. :sigh:

You mean the Russian bride?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

AceRimmer posted:

Calandale owns and Vasel looks and sounds like "that guy" at your LGS. His reviews are more or less arguments of fun.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

AceRimmer posted:

He is one of the first and by far the biggest "content creators" in the industry. His content tends to be of the quantity over quality type with his Dice Tower Network (not just him, but he's very much involved and present in the videos/podcasts) putting out dozens of videos a week. He does weekly top 10s which are of dubious worth and are easy to crap out.

The review quality is typically middling and contains insights like "it's just fun." Additionally despite being funded MUCH better than other well-known people in the industry - SUSD, No Pun Included, whatever - the filming quality (single cam, never moves) and sets (they don't use a set) have always been extremely "budget" quality, but maybe that's just me.

Honestly I think it's mostly an issue of him being omnipresent and not being particularly insightful such that he rubs a lot of people here the wrong way. I don't seek out his content but I don't really dislike him either.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

he said "one if them is one of my succeful games you would least expect to be a legacy game", so its not that unlikely. theyll only publish it if its decent though.

Patchwork, and you'll have built an actual quilt (made of cardboard) by the end

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Jordan7hm posted:

He likes lighter games and doesn’t provide real analysis during his reviews
Are you suggesting screaming "IT'S JUST FUN" at a camera repeatedly is not real anal ysis?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Honestly I think it's mostly an issue of him being omnipresent and not being particularly insightful such that he rubs a lot of people here the wrong way. I don't seek out his content but I don't really dislike him either.
I challenge anyone here to listen to Vasel for 5 hours straight, while painting your minis or clipping your counters for wargames or assembling your giant broken token gloomhaven insert. You can't. It's impossible. But you can with Calandale.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

It's not like Vasel's being thrown off the internet, geez. He can't now go to a GAMA Trade Show. All the news is posted anyway, what would he actually be missing anyway?

He feels like the Fox News of board gaming but that's probably just me. Really pandering to a crowd that I'm not a part of.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

I challenge anyone here to listen to Vasel for 5 hours straight, while painting your minis or clipping your counters for wargames or assembling your giant broken token gloomhaven insert. You can't. It's impossible. But you can with Calandale.
There is a certain quality to his voice, I've just listened to his short review of GMT's Shogun. I found the game in the role-playing section of my local Bookmans :lol:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Lorini posted:

It's not like Vasel's being thrown off the internet, geez. He can't now go to a GAMA Trade Show. All the news is posted anyway, what would he actually be missing anyway?

He feels like the Fox News of board gaming but that's probably just me. Really pandering to a crowd that I'm not a part of.

I don't think anyone gives a crap about him being uninvited from a show - I certainly don't - but the reason why (and the prior initial overreaction about his comments) is stupid.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

AceRimmer posted:

That's Rahdo, Calandale is the crazy person who bought a mail order bride that he forces to play wargames and founded his own BGG clone because of FREEZE PEACH

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

FulsomFrank posted:

What's the argument against this? Pay more for poo poo because... it's local?

This is something I would usually advocate for but there’s no reason to do so with board games

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

MikeCrotch posted:

That's Rahdo, Calandale is the crazy person who bought a mail order bride that he forces to play wargames and founded his own BGG clone because of FREEZE PEACH
Calandale is easy to spot on BGG because he's the guy with the "THE MODERATION POLICY ON THIS SITE HAS DRIVEN ME AWAY FROM BGG" avatar while still posting/commenting and contributing to BGG.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Papes posted:

This is something I would usually advocate for but there’s no reason to do so with board games

Yeah it's one thing to buy local when you're buying from the producers of the product (such as farm products), but when buying local simply changes the middleman that you're buying it from, it's kind of pointless.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

!Klams posted:

So, I really love this about City of Horror. Like, it's a loving shambolic mess of an emotional and political turmoil, the girl giving out all the zombie details could have been lying, but I'm sure it was obvious to you that she wasn't. So some people see that as like, "Oh you've helped me I'll help you" which is sort of what she was going for (likes everyone working together) but then other people see that as helping their opponents / trying too hard to curry favour, and penalize it (like you guys seemed to), and then yet someone else might like, next level it, and leverage her naive style: "Ok, thanks, if you vote for me to distribute the stuff I'll give you the syringe" but then stab her in the back after she's voted for them and keep it.

Like, people are loving weird and unpredictable monsters, you can't logic your way through the game, you have to intuit the whole time. It's a real boardgame, it wouldn't work at all without you all there in the room, having to look each other in the eye, read body language, browbeat, make secret deals while no one's looking etc etc. All of that lovely MESS.

I too love City of Horror because of the remarkable snakes of bad logic it forces everyone to twist themselves into. I made some big mistakes early on last night, playing cards a little too early, and by rounds 3-4 I only had 1 left to spend. our scores were 12/12/8/6/6/5.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Tom Vasel's logo is literally a neckbeard and a fedora.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

The Expanse is good, what do you want to know (or alternatively just look back at my post history recently)

Just general impressions/AARs/discussion/whatever. The card mechanic looks really neat

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Papes posted:

My FLGS is amazing. The have a huge gaming space, they host hobby nights where they teach things like model assembly and painting, they have regular events and tournaments, etc. I give them my money because that extra service they provide is worth 10% more. I'm always frustrated by people who use the space for D&D or boardgaming and then shop online, because it feels like they're taking advantage of the establishment.

On the other hand, if your store is nothing but a sales counter and an rear end in a top hat who's annoyed you're interrupting his Facebook time then by all means shop Amazon and let them die. The "F" in FLGS is the key here.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

rydiafan posted:

My FLGS is amazing. The have a huge gaming space, they host hobby nights where they teach things like model assembly and painting, they have regular events and tournaments, etc. I give them my money because that extra service they provide is worth 10% more.

that sounds awesome - I have a cool FLGS, and I pay them to use their space for flea markets, but buying things there is tougher math:

MSRP + tax (ex. $60 + $5)
vs
CSI - customer discount + shipping (ex. $36 - $2 + $0 )

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 22, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

rydiafan posted:

My FLGS is amazing. The have a huge gaming space, they host hobby nights where they teach things like model assembly and painting, they have regular events and tournaments, etc. I give them my money because that extra service they provide is worth 10% more. I'm always frustrated by people who use the space for D&D or boardgaming and then shop online, because it feels like they're taking advantage of the establishment.

On the other hand, if your store is nothing but a sales counter and an rear end in a top hat who's annoyed you're interrupting his Facebook time then by all means shop Amazon and let them die. The "F" in FLGS is the key here.

This. The FLGS in Pasadena, CA runs tournaments, newbie nights, and has a huge gaming space. If you think of the difference between the online prices and this FLGS's prices as value added then the FLGS makes sense. There's no way I'm meeting any other local players on Coolstuffinc.com (yes I know they have a store but that's not how I deal with them).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of online retailers, Cardhaus is currently doing 10% off their regular prices for Black Friday. Which doesn't sound that impressive but it's leading to some pretty great prices. Just a few I saw:

Dragonfire $35.99 (MSRP $59.99)
Keyflower $39.59 (MSRP $65.00)
Arkham Horror LCG Core Set $28.79 (MSRP $39.99)

etc.

Worth a look if there's a game you've been waiting to drop. They do have shipping (unless you spend $125) so it might be a wash though.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 22, 2017

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Speaking of online retailers, Cardhaus is currently doing 10% off their regular prices for Black Friday. Which doesn't sound that impressive but it's leading to some pretty great prices. Just a few I saw:

Dragonfire $35.99 (MSRP $59.99)
Keyflower $39.59 (MSRP $65.00)
Arkham Horror LCG Core Set $28.79 (MSRP $39.99)

etc.

Worth a look if there's a game you've been waiting to drop. They do have shipping (unless you spend $125) so it might be a wash though.

They also have a scratch and dent section if you can handle bent corners or scratched up boxes.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I''ve played and liked Mall of Horror, is City of Horror pretty much the same? The description of the Water Tower sounded just like the CCTV room.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

AceRimmer posted:

I''ve played and liked Mall of Horror, is City of Horror pretty much the same? The description of the Water Tower sounded just like the CCTV room.

it is an updated remake. here's a list of the major changes:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/859165/significant-differences-between-mall-horror

reading this list and having never played Mall I have a hunch City is MUCH better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

ketchup vs catsup posted:

it is an updated remake. here's a list of the major changes:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/859165/significant-differences-between-mall-horror

reading this list and having never played Mall I have a hunch City is MUCH better.

As somebody who owns and loves Mall of Horrors these changes all seem good, except

quote:

Players no longer dial in votes. Instead "all players who have a vote raise their hand. Players count 1.. 2.. 3 out loud and on three must point at a player." Players can vote for themselves.

this is terrible. Let's remove an unambiguous method of voting and replace it with a clusterfuck of people all secretly trying to point slightly slower so they can see everyone else's vote first.