Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Saul Kain posted:

Thanks. I’m familiar with Cheat Engine. That makes sense. That doesn’t get you banned from online services? I don’t really want to use Cheat Engine until I’ve finished a run normally.
I'm pretty sure if you go online with Cheat Engine or use hacked items (even if you yourself aren't cheating, but someone drops it for you) you can get "penalized" which basically means you get put into a separate online pool with all the other cheaters and hackers. If you just play offline I don't think anything should happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

skasion posted:

Wait, what? There’s a chest in that little hallway?

Not the little hallway—the Ruin Sentinels arena has like four hidden doors (I think Hush is in one of them...), and the one in question is in the staircase up from the bottom floor to the prison hallway.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
its funny how different people get different experiences out of these games

irythill was what really sold me on ds3 after starting out hating it on the high wall and liking it fine by the catacombs. i loved fighting the knights and its an excellent place to grind in the mid game: good souls and it gets you good at the game. i'm a dodger/strike-firster, not a parry-er, so i had good fun getting good at timing rolls and counter attacking

i delt with the silver knights by just walking up to them and then full r2ing them before they realized i was there. you can run up pretty close and then just walk the last 10-15 paces. all in all a great area

walked out of irythill a new man, but sadly, after a premature jaunt to the dungeons, one friend short

really enjoying pvp with my insanely over-leveled main. +10 dark lothric straight sword absolutely shreds people and is so fast. +10 chaos lucerne for anyone pesky enough to swing faster (it zones people well). i can't believe they set up two infusions that complement each other perfectly and use the same stats (the ringed city recognized that folly). my main tactic is to lure people into narrow areas where they can't really get away from the dozen sword swings coming their way. its amazing how many invaders just cede initiative and let you chose where to fight.

also, still loving being a spear of the church. the item is insanely powerful (and its not even the final version!) and its fun to take on 3 dudes at once.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 2, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Does poison even work on anything in DS3? In DS1, you can see the life bar drain, but there doesn't seem to be any indication if something is dying horribly from the cooties I've given them or whether they're immune and about to come throw me a beating.

(I ask, because in DS1 I'd test for mimics by shooting chests with a poison arrow. Enough to show some damage but not enough to wake them up. And they could just sit there and die slowly. Fuckers.)

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Elissimpark posted:

Does poison even work on anything in DS3? In DS1, you can see the life bar drain, but there doesn't seem to be any indication if something is dying horribly from the cooties I've given them or whether they're immune and about to come throw me a beating.

(I ask, because in DS1 I'd test for mimics by shooting chests with a poison arrow. Enough to show some damage but not enough to wake them up. And they could just sit there and die slowly. Fuckers.)

gael is weak to poison. i use a poison coating on a sharp sword against him. not sure the damage tallies up much, though. but you can see it tick

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Scandalous posted:

This is embarrassing but it’s how I remember:

If the chain’s in a circle, it’s O-Kircle
If it’s a line, it’s mimic time

I’m not a poet

Not embarassing.

Mine is re: the chain:

if it's a ring, do your thing...

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Does pestilent mist wake up mimics?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Poison works on lots of things, but killing mimics with it isn't a very reliable method.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I just got to the profaned capital (what a cool place, just epic) and got past all those white worshipers and gargoyles to the two chests in the corner, I think past what is probably the boss door since it’s fogged. I could see the chain on the first, pointing towards me, but couldn’t see the chain on the second since it was half buried in a pile of trash and bodies, and was sure it was just like the sewers in the dungeon, right? Where one was mimic one wasn’t. Most assuredly a regular chest. It’s just how the trick works.

I got eaten. Startled the poo poo out of me.

I saved the onion knight, though, and I’m about to go unlock all the locked doors in the dungeon I passed up. Then onto the boss.

I’m at 20 life and 25 stamina, 35 strength, 25 dexterity, 12 each of intelligence and faith. Is it worth starting to put points in magic so I can fire off cool spells in the late game? Or should I really just get strength and dexterity to 40? Also, I cannot seem to use pyromancer skills and can’t find any weapon, staff, or talisman thing that will do it?? Did I completely miss something somewhere? I have this “ spew a Boulder from your mouth” spell I really wanted to try...

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Vague directions for pyromancy: the pyromancer trainer is in a cage on top of a multi-story rampart in the undead settlement that some goobers are throwing bombs at you from, near the guillotine (link has a photo of his location and some more specific directions if you'd like them). I missed him the first time around too. He also gives you a basic pyromancy flame.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m at 20 life and 25 stamina, 35 strength, 25 dexterity, 12 each of intelligence and faith. Is it worth starting to put points in magic so I can fire off cool spells in the late game? Or should I really just get strength and dexterity to 40? Also, I cannot seem to use pyromancer skills and can’t find any weapon, staff, or talisman thing that will do it?? Did I completely miss something somewhere? I have this “ spew a Boulder from your mouth” spell I really wanted to try...
practically speaking, you should probably level life some more(and then a bit more strength and dex if you want it). when you've already invested quite a bit into physical damage stats, you'd need to go to a very high level to actually get anything out of spells.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh wow. Yeah I totally missed this pyromancy trainer. Thank you! I legit would’ve gone the whole game without knowing.

Edit: jesus I missed a bonfire that close to the great wood tree boss?? I thought getting the ogre on your side so he’d throw giant spears at all the enemies between bonfire and the great wood fog door was the way to do it. Lmao gently caress.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 3, 2021

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

Blind Rasputin posted:

Edit: jesus I missed a bonfire that close to the great wood tree boss?? I thought getting the ogre on your side so he’d throw giant spears at all the enemies between bonfire and the great wood fog door was the way to do it. Lmao gently caress.

aw drat that sucks haha. now you know!

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
super disappointed I couldn’t chain-parry Soul of Cinder in his Gwynn phase for that full dose of nostalgia

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

So, I beat Yhorm after many tries finally. It was so bad I actually had my gear and spells pared down to only the essentials needed for the fight to minimize switching and maximize dodging. That loving Gargoyle and I got to know each other well. "Sup Gary, you going up or charging me today?" "Up? good man" Finally at like 1am I beat him. Great Heavy Soul Arrow and Black Flame worked well. I was a little surprised when I got ported back to the castle.

So, there I am in the castle. This is my internal monologue:

"Huh, the old lady in the chair is dead."
"Oh look a bowl."
"Hmm, maybe I should hit a bonfire, I'm running low on estus." Sees a message on the floor " 'Place the bowl on the statute to continue' "
"Hmm, I bet there is a bonfire through there, I'll just put this bowl here..."
"Why is there a cut scene playing?"
"What is THAT!?"
"poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo"
"Only 2 yellow estus left!"
"Hope this thing doesn't like Black Flame"
"It's working! It's working!"
"OUCH"
"AHH OUT OF YELLOW ESTUS"
"Dodge dodge dodge"
"OUCH, gently caress"
"Two more Black Flames aught to do it"
"One more, oh no it's winding up an attack... YES!!!"

Needless to say, I ended up pulling the Dancer inadvertently low on Estus, with only my Yhorm spells attuned. Thankfully, Dancer appears weak to Dark damage, so Black Flame carried me.

Thanks for listening to my story about how I killed Yhorm and Dancer in one "life" without hitting a bonfire.

Edit: Oh and Pestilent Mist does NOT wake up mimics. Cheese away.

Saul Kain fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 3, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yhorm is a gimmick boss. Did you look around his throne room while you were fighting him? Because yeah cutting his health down with your normal weapons / spells is a pain in the rear end as it's not the "intended solution"

Congrats on taking the dancer out while under pressure though she's a nasty one!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
If you killed Yohrm without the wind sword and then killed Dancer on the first try immediately after, then that is pretty loving amazing lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yhorm is much more fun if you fight him as a tough bastard boss and not a gimmick boss anyway, though it means saying farewell to your pal Siegward

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Yeah, I picked up the Storm Ruler and made it glow, but when I whacked him on the shins, it did gently caress all damage. So I just went back to headshotting him soul arrows until he kneeled then dumping black flame orbs on his dome. Got there in the end.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Haha fair enough you definitely went expert mode there. If I recall correctly you hold r2 to fully charge it up, you can walk away while it's charged up like samus's beam in smash bros, then hit l1 to shoot a giant wind blast. If you didn't see the wind Kamehameha it's possible you stopped charging it halfway through

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

multijoe posted:

Yhorm is much more fun if you fight him as a tough bastard boss and not a gimmick boss anyway, though it means saying farewell to your pal Siegward

Hard disagree. He's the only real "bullet sponge" in the game. I felt like his attacks were trivially easy to dodge, just you had to do it 100,000 times, a test of stamina more than reflexes.

Surely there could have been a middle ground between that and "You've got Siegward so you just skip the boss entirely."

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Another entry in the "why is Storm Ruler's activation so needlessly complicated" list

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Saul Kain posted:

Yeah, I picked up the Storm Ruler and made it glow, but when I whacked him on the shins, it did gently caress all damage. So I just went back to headshotting him soul arrows until he kneeled then dumping black flame orbs on his dome. Got there in the end.

Oof

Not your fault but if you had fully charged up the Sword he would have been dead in like 5 minutes lol

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Sigward of Catalina and I kicked Yhorn’s rear end first try, I mean it wasn’t even a contest and dodging his attacks was stupid easy. I loved every bit of the end to Sigward’s story. But, then I had the same experience with Anna and the cutscene... Back to back bosses lol. I died very quickly to the dancer.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

I missed a Siegwald encounter somewhere, so it was just me and big daddy.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Saul Kain posted:

I missed a Siegwald encounter somewhere, so it was just me and big daddy.

You might have missed him in a jailcell elsewhere in the Profaned Capital.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Draga posted:

You might have missed him in a jailcell elsewhere in the Profaned Capital.

I actually missed the bit where you fight the fire giant. Hit all the other ones and got the slab from the cell.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Saul Kain posted:

Needless to say, I ended up pulling the Dancer inadvertently low on Estus, with only my Yhorm spells attuned. Thankfully, Dancer appears weak to Dark damage, so Black Flame carried me.

Thanks for listening to my story about how I killed Yhorm and Dancer in one "life" without hitting a bonfire.

Edit: Oh and Pestilent Mist does NOT wake up mimics. Cheese away.

Dancer actually has negative resistance to Dark damage, so she goes down fast. A popular strategy for people who want to get into Lothric early is to buy the Dark Hand from Yuria and punch her to death.

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
Pretty sure Onion Knight took care of Yhorm all by himself on my play through. I don’t even think I grabbed the Storm Ruler until after the fight was over.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
you think I’d know by now not to touch anything offered to me by bedraggled bearded men in chapels

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Scandalous posted:

you think I’d know by now not to touch anything offered to me by bedraggled bearded men in chapels

I know this mood.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Haha! I’ve never seen my character do a little hip and Yeehah dance that’s so awesome. Havel took me three attempts to learn to bait out his jumping heavy attack and whack him a bunch immediately after. I just played it slow and baited those out and won.

https://twitter.com/blind_rasputin/status/1367672012416503813?s=21

From what you all said and some info in the wiki, the drakeblood greatsword doesn’t sound very great on paper. It scales D only with strength and dex, and does split physical, magic, and lightning damage. But since getting it I’ve upgraded it to +8 (I have a ton of supplies at this point) and it’s such a great weapon for me?? Is this bad? It does a ton of damage, fast (I don’t like the slowness of ultra greatswords so far), and is so light I can wear Gundyr’s armor... which is a huge defense upgrade for me. I feel like a loving tank. I think the lightning/magic damage also goes far in this archdragon peak right now because the enemies all suck.

I absolutely hate these pesky rock lizards.

Well, I’m gearing up for the nameless king fight. I have been avoiding all spoilers and fight info. But I’m aware it’s like the hardest fight in the game. I figure if I’ve come this far, and killed the champion gundyr.. I can do it too.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Also, I’m well and fully hooked on dark souls 3 so far. I think it’s possibly my most favorite From game. Although Sekiro is hard to top in so many ways. Tell me about the DLC! I just looked it up briefly today and thought there was only the Ringed City, but there’s a second one Ashes of something. They both worth it? What are they like? Do they start right after the ending of the main game, and take into account whatever choice you make? (For me so far I have the firekeeper her eyes and all her and Ludwigs dialog points to that being an ending thing so I’m doing that one).

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ashes of Ariandel is the first one, Ringed City the second. you can enter them as soon as you reach their respective entry points, one mid-game-ish and one at endgame, though they're both tuned for endgame. they serve as a pre-finale coda, basically

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Blind Rasputin posted:

Haha! I’ve never seen my character do a little hip and Yeehah dance that’s so awesome

Are you under the impression that this happened automatically? That's awesome that you thought that but I think you must have triggered it with some sixaxis gesture.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Drakeblood sword is perfectly fine. The usual drawback of split damage is mitigated by its high AR and there’s not too many enemies who are resistant to all three of physical, lightning and magic.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

Finally beat Nameless King.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

feelix posted:

Are you under the impression that this happened automatically? That's awesome that you thought that but I think you must have triggered it with some sixaxis gesture.

Yeah lol I figured this out just now. I was totally not aware certain gestures were triggered by motion controls on the PlayStation! I saw my guy do it and my jaw dropped like holy crap. Because I was feeling exactly the same way.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Saul Kain posted:

Finally beat Nameless King.

Feels good, skeleton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
every weapon in dark souls is good and fine to use unless you're doing pvp. and even then only sweaty pvp