Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

magiccarpet posted:

Refused played New Noise last night at Terminal 5 and every mid 30s hardcore kid lost their poo poo. The band was so, so happy to be playing.

I really didn't think the Sunday show could be topped. And then the Monday show happened.

And then they played a secret show at The Acheron which was probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Killsion posted:

I just don't get why people like New Noise... it is an extremely weak song. If I was gonna flip poo poo it'd be to Rather Be Dead...

Probably because refused is pretty much guaranteed to play new noise, and the line "get up and SCREAM" is pretty motivating.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Theres only 3 days left on this, and it needs to raise $3K to make it happen

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/157803924/jakarta-punk-the-marjinal-story

Its a documentary on Marjinal, one of the most important asian punk bands you could imagine. These aint trust fund college kids spewing angst about a system that only benefits them, but a punk band in a third world country who live in the gutters of Jakarta trying to uplift street kids with good old fashion street punk and ukeleles.

Those who follow the indonesian punk scene know that Marjinal are god drat heroes, but since most indonesian punk scenesters make less money a week than most of us make an hour the cash aint coming from those woods.

I'd really like to see this film made, and so should you if you still believe that punk means something in 2012.

e: Disclosure in case anyone is wondering. No, I have no relationship to this project , but theres a fairly strong connection between the indo punk scene and the perth punk scene being jakarta is the closest capital city to perth.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 25, 2012

Ilya Bryz
Apr 3, 2006
I have until the 21st of Feb to post my :toxx: or I will be banned.
Is this the right thread if I want to get made fun of for only just now hearing about The Front Bottoms?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

duck monster posted:

Theres only 3 days left on this, and it needs to raise $3K to make it happen

Its a documentary on Marjinal, one of the most important asian punk bands you could imagine. These aint trust fund college kids spewing angst about a system that only benefits them, but a punk band in a third world country who live in the gutters of Jakarta trying to uplift street kids with good old fashion street punk and ukeleles.

Those who follow the indonesian punk scene know that Marjinal are god drat heroes, but since most indonesian punk scenesters make less money a week than most of us make an hour the cash aint coming from those woods.

I'd really like to see this film made, and so should you if you still believe that punk means something in 2012.

e: Disclosure in case anyone is wondering. No, I have no relationship to this project , but theres a fairly strong connection between the indo punk scene and the perth punk scene being jakarta is the closest capital city to perth.

This sounds like a really cool idea for a film, but the style they chose for it is the total opposite of what I would want to see.

Having said that, I'm tempted to give them $50 just because that's a pretty awesome looking shirt.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 25, 2012

Jackson1160
Jul 29, 2011
Im new to Punk/Hardcore/Emo and need some basic bands to listen to. The only Emo band I know of and listen to is City of Caterpillar.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Jackson1160 posted:

Im new to Punk/Hardcore/Emo and need some basic bands to listen to. The only Emo band I know of and listen to is City of Caterpillar.

This post owns.

Funeral Diner, Who Calls So Loud, Envy, Life at These Speeds, Orchid, Transistor Transistor, Pianos Become the Teeth, Caravels would probably be a good start based on you liking CoC.

Also unrelated to this, just gonna say that the last Celeste album they put out is incredible.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
Having just listened to the La Dispute - Conversations interview-ish thing where they discuss the background behind all of the tracks on "Wildlife", I will say that I have a new-found respect for that album and band. Worth checking out if you're into La Dispute.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Inspector_71 posted:

This sounds like a really cool idea for a film, but the style they chose for it is the total opposite of what I would want to see.

Having said that, I'm tempted to give them $50 just because that's a pretty awesome looking shirt.

Its a bit hard to really know what the style is based on a slideshow on a kickstarter page, but the directors are experienced so it'll be watchable whatever the case is.

Plus seriously, Marjinal are awesome.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jackson1160 posted:

Pissed Jeans, whatever the album is with Ice Cream.

Many a band practice has been ruined by me screaming "I-yi-yi-yi still got YOU IIIIICE CREAM"

Also the newest hosed Up album is phenomenal and if you can find the set of 7"s that they put out that are part prologue and part explanation you should listne to those too because goddamn. Octavio Built The Bomb is literally about how they wrote the record and what the story is about, it's hysterical.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
David Comes To Life is fantastic, and hosed Up are even better live. I'm also a huge fan of Titus Andronicus; got into them through the Craig Finn connection and got addicted to The Monitor.

If you're actually heading to The Fest check out The Smith Street Band. They're one of my favorite Australian bands and their album 'Nobody Gets Lost Anymore' never leave my iPhone. Their lyrics are heartfelt and clever and live they rock. There's always a small mosh of earnest fat guys up front and I'm proud to be one of them. Locally they've supported hosed Up and Frank Turner (who I'm seeing again soon.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Jackson1160 posted:

Daitro, Circle Takes the Square and Drive Like Jehu are all basics you should check out, also I'm pretty sure theres a goon in Forget Me and they rule.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Jackson1160 posted:

Well I mean it kind of depends but City of Caterpillar means you are off to a very good start. Everything suggested so far has been worth seconding, especially the ones Parachute suggested.

I have probably said this before once but for anyone who likes Celeste, check out Heaven in Her Arms newest album, Paraselene.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Why did I wait so long to listen to Such Gold?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Good news: The marjinal documentry got funded. Looking forward to a pretty amazing doco on one of the kings of third world punk.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

LCQC posted:

Daitro, Circle Takes the Square and Drive Like Jehu are all basics you should check out, also I'm pretty sure theres a goon in Forget Me and they rule.

That's me! Thanks for the mention! Free download at http://forgetme.bandcamp.com

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If I was just getting into listening to Punk/Hardcore/Emo music what would be the first 5 albums you would recommend me?

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

bowmore posted:

If I was just getting into listening to Punk/Hardcore/Emo music what would be the first 5 albums you would recommend me?

Minor Threat - First Two 7"s on a 12"
Against Me! - Crime EP
Joyce Manor - S/T
hosed Up - David Comes to Life
Mean Jeans - Are You Serious

Not a list the top 5 albums of any of those genres, but rather what I've been listening to more than anything else recently.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

bowmore posted:

For some older stuff,

Black Flag - First Four Years
The Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust, Inc
Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today
Aus Rotten - Not One Single loving Hit
Circle Jerks - Group Sex

E: Pick yourself up a Ramones anthology, they've all got the same songs on them and you'll get a good sense for how they developed over the years.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I don't have five killer suggestions, but I think you should at least have one Bad Religion album in there.

I'd go with 'No Control' but there's a number of options.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

bowmore posted:

That's a really vague question, so I'll just list five of my most listened to albums:

Four Year Strong - Rise or Die Trying
Alexisonfire - Self-Titled
AFI - The Art of Drowning
Strung Out - Twisted by Design
Hopesfall - The Satellite Years

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

nasboat posted:

I don't have five killer suggestions, but I think you should at least have one Bad Religion album in there.

I'd go with 'No Control' but there's a number of options.

I'd go No Control or Suffer, as far as Bad Religion is concerned.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

ZentraediElite posted:

That's a really vague question, so I'll just list five of my most listened to albums:

Four Year Strong - Rise or Die Trying
Alexisonfire - Self-Titled
AFI - The Art of Drowning
Strung Out - Twisted by Design
Hopesfall - The Satellite Years

This is a list of albums I would tell someone to avoid but that is just me... Pope has a good list few posts up. I'd replace the Aus-Rotten album with The Rotten Agenda though, easier to get into and was a standard of my high school days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg3Pn2IFL7I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls1zg4LvdA0

Killsion fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 27, 2012

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Killsion posted:

This is a list of albums I would tell someone to avoid but that is just me... Pope has a good list few posts up. I'd replace the Aus-Rotten album with The Rotten Agenda though, easier to get into and was a standard of my high school days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg3Pn2IFL7I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls1zg4LvdA0

I like a lot of pop punk style stuff, FYS and AFI are very easy to get into at that point.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

ZentraediElite posted:

I like a lot of pop punk style stuff, FYS and AFI are very easy to get into at that point.

I don't really think bowmore would benefit from them though. Such albums are not indicative of what punk, hardcore, or emo really sounds like.

Anyway, here is my list.

Malignus Youth - Missa Brevis
Muga - Muga
1905 - Voice
Crass - The Feeding of the 5000
Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing

You can't really consider yourself a punk or hardcore fan if you haven't heard those Crass or Discharge albums and if anyone hasn't heard Missa Brevis then you really should. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF9UVqL9xk4

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

Hey, can anyone recommend me any female fronted screamo other than To Dream of Autumn, Anomie, The hope and the failure, Hiretsukan, This Scares me and Arsen AKA König Der Monster? Not like bands with male/female vocals, but bands that are primarily female.

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 3, 2013

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Loma Prieta has no female members :confused: Are you thinking Punch, maybe?

rivals fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 27, 2012

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Quantumfate posted:

Hey, can anyone recommend me any female fronted screamo other than To Dream of Autumn, Anomie, The hope and the failure, Hiretsukan, This Scares me and Arsen AKA König Der Monster? Not like bands with male/female vocals, but bands that are primarily female.

EDIT: forgot loma prieta.

Good call on Anomie, great band. 1905 and The Little Rock Nine are both dual vocals but the female are most prominent.

GHOSTBONER
Jan 23, 2008

this isn't shoegaze
this is suicide

Quantumfate posted:

EDIT: forgot loma prieta.

Mahria is awesome

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Killsion posted:

I don't really think bowmore would benefit from them though. Such albums are not indicative of what punk, hardcore, or emo really sounds like.

Anyway, here is my list.

Malignus Youth - Missa Brevis
Muga - Muga
1905 - Voice
Crass - The Feeding of the 5000
Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing

You can't really consider yourself a punk or hardcore fan if you haven't heard those Crass or Discharge albums and if anyone hasn't heard Missa Brevis then you really should. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF9UVqL9xk4

I would've recommended Crass' "Penis Envy", which is one of my all-time favorite albums, but Crass seem to be a love it or hate it sort of thing.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

rivals posted:

Loma Prieta has no female members :confused: Are you thinking Punch, maybe?

I am, I get them confused because I've only ever seen them together. I'm even wearing a punch button now. M-my punk cred. . . :ohdear:

GHOSTBONER posted:

Mahria is awesome

Mahria is indeed awesome. Thank you so much for this.

Killsion posted:

Good call on Anomie, great band. 1905 and The Little Rock Nine are both dual vocals but the female are most prominent.

Anomie is incredible, but 1905 wasnt really what I was looking for. Little rock nine however, was. I keep meaning to check em out, now I have a good reason to.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Quantumfate posted:

I am, I get them confused because I've only ever seen them together. I'm even wearing a punch button now. M-my punk cred. . . :ohdear:

Anomie is incredible, but 1905 wasnt really what I was looking for. Little rock nine however, was. I keep meaning to check em out, now I have a good reason to.

Interesting, I think 1905 and LRN are really similar due to their anarcho-punk influence.

And if we are including bands like Punch into this then I think this just got a lot broader than just screamo with female vocals...

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Ah, the nebulousness of screamo.I've always thought of punch as more of an emoviolence group, but I guess they're kind of like rape revenge. Still, This Scares me is still screamo, but also really hardcore. I'm just looking for more music with less boys club-y stuff.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Quantumfate posted:

Ah, the nebulousness of screamo.I've always thought of punch as more of an emoviolence group, but I guess they're kind of like rape revenge. Still, This Scares me is still screamo, but also really hardcore. I'm just looking for more music with less boys club-y stuff.

How about Mind of Asian? Really thrashy kind of powerviolence, all female Japanese group. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrTrHiF7Mc

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Killsion posted:

How about Mind of Asian? Really thrashy kind of powerviolence, all female Japanese group. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrTrHiF7Mc

Hm. I'd prefer something more melodic, to be honest.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
1905 owns, I Would Set Myself on Fire for You is decent too

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Even though I listen to a fair amount of hardcore (influenced) bands:

The Dillinger Escape Plan
Converge
Cancer Bats
Pianos Become the Teeth
La Dispute
Fall of Efafra
Minor Threat
Black Flag
Trash Talk

(and many others, inc post-hardcore bands like Fugazi/Rival Schools)

Bear in mind that I also listen to a lot of cross over stuff like Black Breath. My favourite hardcoreish album of 2012 is Cancer Bats- Dead Set On Living. Not sure about all time. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Fall and efafra and PBtT make me beg the quesiton: How do you feel about crust?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Wait Pianos made you think of crust?

Also I just found this dude on Youtube looking for a Defeater video and I just love it: http://www.youtube.com/user/bigkdeezy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

nomapple posted:

Even though I listen to a fair amount of hardcore (influenced) bands:

The Dillinger Escape Plan
Converge
Cancer Bats
Pianos Become the Teeth
La Dispute
Fall of Efafra
Minor Threat
Black Flag
Trash Talk

(and many others, inc post-hardcore bands like Fugazi/Rival Schools)

Bear in mind that I also listen to a lot of cross over stuff like Black Breath. My favourite hardcoreish album of 2012 is Cancer Bats- Dead Set On Living. Not sure about all time. Any recommendations would be welcome.

From there you can really go anywhere. I mentioned The Secret earlier so check out them and All Pigs Must Die. From Fall of Efrafa you can go more into dark neocrust like Dead to a Dying World or atmospheric sludge like Light Bearer.