Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Locator posted:

This is why I paid a lot of money to rip the carpet out and put in hardwood flooring!
I fear the gap under the skirting board more than the carpet monster TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Arquinsiel posted:

I fear the gap under the skirting board more than the carpet monster TBH.

Not sure what gap you are referring to. The lower trim on your wall? If so, why is there a gap there?

In other news, I picked up a pair of cheap lip-stick display stands.

And there is something strange on my work area. This sure doesn't look like a boat...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Locator posted:

Not sure what gap you are referring to. The lower trim on your wall? If so, why is there a gap there?[/timg]
For some unknown reason, all wood in Irish houses seems to shrink dramatically over time. There's almost always a millimetre or more of a gap there that small stuff can get lost in. Sometimes falling through into the magical land of "inside the wall I don't even know how that :smithicide:"

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Locator posted:

And there is something strange on my work area. This sure doesn't look like a boat... yet

Fixed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Locator's November project: Hi-Boat.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I actually entertained that thought for a while, but really haven't come up with anything that would work and/or be cool yet. I have some ideas, but not to turn it into a boat. :)

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Assembly done. Now to strip him down and figure out a paint scheme.

Coming from doing mostly GW 40k kits, I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of the kit and the amount of plastic for the price. It was quite a fun build. Now I want to buy all the new BanDai Star Wars kits if they're anything like this.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

That kit is pretty resilient too. My kid snagged it as soon as it was done. A month later I find it, still functional. That kit is pretty badass really.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Deanut Pancer posted:

Coming from doing mostly GW 40k kits, I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of the kit and the amount of plastic for the price. It was quite a fun build. Now I want to buy all the new BanDai Star Wars kits if they're anything like this.

The Star Wars kit are really good, I've been working on the X-Wing and I like it a lot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deanut Pancer posted:

Now I want to buy all the new BanDai Star Wars kits if they're anything like this.

They're good enough that Revell got scared and started bitching to Disney, who pressured Bandai to crack down on Japanese hobby sites offering them to the US. You can still get them, but you have to go eBay or something.

All to protect some 40 year old molds.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

With the first parts for the turret interior being installed the huge Tiger Tank has now reached a build status of 5%.

This turret floor will soon be completely stuffed with all kinds of machinery. It's a wonder anyone even fit in there at all.

I figured out the whole "gaps between turret walls" situation. It seems they'll be cleverly hidden behind other parts and spare track links, so no need to worry about trying to build Zimmerit with putty.

Also for some fun and practice with Victory ready for some rather tedious work like installing decks and straking the ship, I've started building a cross-section model of her.

Also managed to source 4500 individual in-scale copper plates for Victory' bottom. Will probably take me a year to fit all these.

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 6, 2015

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

Also managed to source 4500 individual in-scale copper plates for Victory' bottom. Will probably take me a year to fit all these.

:captainpop:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yea, so far I've stuck to purchasing kits of ships without coppered hulls. I've gone through a lot of build logs and it just looks incredibly tedious and painful. Also, I really just don't like the looks of the coppered hull compared to a nice natural finish (even if it's correct to copper).

You are kind of nuts to take on a Vic cross section at the same time as the full scale model AND a giant Tiger tank. Good luck!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Greyhawk posted:

With the first parts for the turret interior being installed the huge Tiger Tank has now reached a build status of 5%.

This turret floor will soon be completely stuffed with all kinds of machinery. It's a wonder anyone even fit in there at all.

I figured out the whole "gaps between turret walls" situation. It seems they'll be cleverly hidden behind other parts and spare track links, so no need to worry about trying to build Zimmerit with putty.

Also for some fun and practice with Victory ready for some rather tedious work like installing decks and straking the ship, I've started building a cross-section model of her.

:psyduck:

So I'm painting a new model (a submarine with about ten total pieces) partially with acrylics picked up from Wal-mart, to see if that works. So far, it does.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Yooper posted:

That kit is pretty resilient too. My kid snagged it as soon as it was done. A month later I find it, still functional. That kit is pretty badass really.

Mine must have been a faulty cast as one of the joints broke real quick.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Midjack posted:

They're good enough that Revell got scared and started bitching to Disney, who pressured Bandai to crack down on Japanese hobby sites offering them to the US. You can still get them, but you have to go eBay or something.

Well that's some bullshit.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Troll Bridgington posted:

Well that's some bullshit.

All it means is you have to buy them on amazon instead of from one of the big Japanese model import sites. They're still the same price.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Greyhawk posted:

You're certifiably insane, and I want nothing more than a time machine, right now, so I can fast forward two years and read your awesome half-completed build log.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Jeherrin posted:

You're certifiably insane, and I want nothing more than a time machine, right now, so I can fast forward two years and read your awesome half-completed build log.

I probably am, but then again that was never in doubt really.

You'll want to bookmark these:
Greyhawks Lunch Break D51 Build
Citroen 2 CV Charleston 1:8 by DeAgostini
Greyhawks Victory
Greyhawks Victory Cross Section
"Achtung - Panzer!" (Hachette Tiger I 1:16)
Bavarian S 3/6 1:32 (Eaglemoss/OcCre)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Locator posted:

Yea, so far I've stuck to purchasing kits of ships without coppered hulls. I've gone through a lot of build logs and it just looks incredibly tedious and painful. Also, I really just don't like the looks of the coppered hull compared to a nice natural finish (even if it's correct to copper).

You are kind of nuts to take on a Vic cross section at the same time as the full scale model AND a giant Tiger tank. Good luck!

The problem I always have with the coppered models (and many others, really) is they're always perfectly clean and shiny, which might have been the case on the day of launch, but certainly wouldn't have lasted.

And actually I don't think even the day of launch, because that's when they'd be oxidized the most.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Yeah, I plan on artificially aging the copper with a vinegar-ammonium-salt mixture.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Greyhawk posted:

Yeah, I plan on artificially aging the copper with a vinegar-ammonium-salt mixture.

God bless you! God bless the hell out of you!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Greyhawk posted:

You may want to just leave the copper unprotected and then wait a while. A lot of shipbuilders who leave the copper unprotected will find it patinas on it's own over a few months.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Midjack posted:

I think the new Revell star wars stuff is the old Finemolds stuff, which is actually pretty new and good. I made their Y-wing a couple of years ago but can't find any pics right now.

edit: actually googling tells me that's just the 1/48 X and Y wings and the 1/72 Falcon, so yeah, that is a bit poo poo.

Also, my hi-mock's spine snapped last night for no apparent reason, but that just make it more repositionable so that's OK.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 6, 2015

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You may want to just leave the copper unprotected and then wait a while. A lot of shipbuilders who leave the copper unprotected will find it patinas on it's own over a few months.

Yeah, with the time it will take to fix the tiles, I'll have ample opportunity see how much aging will need to be done.

As far as I've read, the only way to really avoid natural oxidation is to never ever touch the tiles with bare hands and to immediately coat them once installed.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Greyhawk posted:

Yeah, with the time it will take to fix the tiles, I'll have ample opportunity see how much aging will need to be done.

As far as I've read, the only way to really avoid natural oxidation is to never ever touch the tiles with bare hands and to immediately coat them once installed.

I'd be tempted to take this as an opportunity for a beach vacation to oxidize and weather the copper the natural way.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
This thread is crazy in just the right ways. God bless.

Re-arranging the stowage on the Tiger as we speak, was planning to get it spray primed outside until I saw the weather forecast for the following week: rain, rain, rain. :(

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Oh drat it; Aqua Gloss clear is not immune to enamel thinners, I should've gently brushed my wash.

Starting over with the Hi-Mock. I suppose Johnson's Klear or Future doesn't have any of those issues.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Tomorrow there is a scale model show near me (Chicago suburbs) that I was thinking of going to - are the vendor prices at these shows generally high? Reasonable? All over the board, just buy at LHS or online?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Dukket posted:

Tomorrow there is a scale model show near me (Chicago suburbs) that I was thinking of going to - are the vendor prices at these shows generally high? Reasonable? All over the board, just buy at LHS or online?

Where at, exactly? I'm in the NW burbs myself.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Where at, exactly? I'm in the NW burbs myself.

33rd Annual IPMS ''Butch'' O'Hare Chapter
Lakeview Jr. High School
701 Plainfield Rd.
Downers Grove, IL 60516

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I don't know how it is in the states, but I think it's the same as here in Europe. There are usually different kind of vendors; small companies, online retailers etc, but also regular guys selling some of their stash. Come early so all the nice cheap kits arent gone when you get there. You often see same kits for different prices at different vendors, so it pays to have a good look around!

For example little while ago at the Dutch IPMS show I managed to buy the newest sd.kfz 234/4 kit from Dragon, sealed box, for €30 instead of the regular retail price of €75. Two stands down it was being sold for €80! There are usually bargain bins as well, often a good chance to pick up resin figures or hard to find conversion sets for cheap.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The local IPMS show is tomorrow here also (Phoenix chapter), and it's held in the Commemorative Air Force hanger, which is pretty cool. It's a pretty big show, last year we had about 450 entries, hopefully that number will go up this year. I plan on entering my boat and being the only wood ship, again. They don't have a wood ship (or even a sailing ship) category, boats aren't real popular as modelling subjects here in the desert, it's mostly airplanes and armor, so we only have "Surface Ships" and "Submarines" in the ship categories.

The vendor area last year was huge, and this year it's even bigger (actually was oversold, they are adding more tables) including Zoukei-Mura who will be bringing and selling their new 1/48 Horten, which isn't yet available anywhere. Kind of cool that our local show is going to be the 'world premier' for a super awesome kit like that.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Cool, thats pretty much what I was hoping for. Thank you for the responses.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

So I ordered a 1/72 Airfix P-51d for my first scale model. Boy o boy am I excited. Going to be quite a change from Warhammer models.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I got my eye-decals from Archer in the mail today. The set ranges from scales 1/4 to 90mm, but I'll only use the 1/6 eyes which leaves 70 sets that I won't use... Is there anybody here that wants to buy the remaining decals for cheap for € 2,50,( retail price is €8)?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Hixson posted:

So I ordered a 1/72 Airfix P-51d for my first scale model. Boy o boy am I excited. Going to be quite a change from Warhammer models.

Cool! Here is some noseart to inspire you

The second one is quite fitting is the kit is crappy and you end up with more putty than plastic!

:cool:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Molentik posted:

the kit is crappy and you end up with more putty than plastic!

No it isn't, it's good.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Oh I wasn't saying that the kit is crappy, I mistyped 'if' as 'is'. I don't really build planes and have never touched an Airfix kit so I really wouldn't know. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Oops, never mind. Still, good news for Hixson!