Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Chicagoans: West Lakeview just got in some 3 Fontienen gueuze and also a few bottles of the (ludicrously expensive) Golden Blend. Not sure how much they have left, but given how hard it is to find this stuff in a way that doesn't involve ordering it from Belgium, I thought I'd give a heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

For those of us not in Chicago, how expensive is ludicrously expensive?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
okay, so i'm not a huge fan of either Bell's Expedition or Double Cream Stout- am i gonna be kicking myself if i don't go to the one place in my city Black Note has been tapped in a few years?

VVV what i'm asking, i guess, is, "it it a whole different beast, or does it taste exactly like it sounds?" I like Parabola and BCBS quite a bit.

double VVV- that's what i was getting at, thanks

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 9, 2012

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

okay, so i'm not a huge fan of either Bell's Expedition or Double Cream Stout- am i gonna be kicking myself if i don't go to the one place in my city Black Note has been tapped in a few years?

Well, your first problem is not being a fan of the base beers...

If you like BA'd stouts, I personally think Black Note is the next best thing to Bourbon County. Better than Parabola, Black Ops, Black Tuesday, etc.

^^^ It's similar to Bourbon County. If you like that, you'll like Black Note. Just think "really great BA'd stout" and that's what it is.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 9, 2012

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

I'm seeing it on beermenus in NYC for $35 to $42 a 375 at bar/restaurants. So I'd expect we're talking around $25?

loldor
Jul 4, 2008

Even at 3 Fonteinen it's 8 euro per small bottle (375 ml). That's just over ten dollar with no middleman, transportation or import costs. Armand explained the price has to do with the extra delay of turnaround on that 25% 4 years old lambic used - as opposed to 10-20% 3 years old.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sirotan posted:

$28/375

I know it was because of the 4 year old lambic involved, but it's simply too much for me to spend on a single bottle right now, especially when I think I'll be taking a short trip to Brussels later this year...

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Has anybody tried any Belgian lambics that have been aged for an extended period of time? I'm just curious how they compare to a fresh lambic.

I've had some Cantillon from the 90s, generally they get much tarter.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Heading to Avenue Pub after dinner. The bottle list is quite reasonable :stare: If anyone's in New Orleans, come by and I'll buy you a beer!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

If you like BA'd stouts, I personally think Black Note is the next best thing to Bourbon County. Better than Parabola, Black Ops, Black Tuesday, etc.

^^^ It's similar to Bourbon County. If you like that, you'll like Black Note. Just think "really great BA'd stout" and that's what it is.

Black Note is such a polarizing beer around these parts (Michigan), lots of beer nerds either think it's amazing or overrated. I've had it both on tap and from the bottle and it's way better on tap.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

Heading to Avenue Pub after dinner. The bottle list is quite reasonable :stare: If anyone's in New Orleans, come by and I'll buy you a beer!

sigh i loved staying a block away from that place; too bad they didn't have any ridiculous bottles while i was there. pretty sure you know the city, but just in case, hit up Stein Market.

passed on the Black Note; haven't been feeling so hot today and i don't want to be one of fifty other people crowding into a place we never go to get one beer and then leave.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Has anyone had the mint chocolate stout from stone yet? My normal place in AZ won't get it until Friday but a tiny bar here got a keg of it early I guess. Wondering if it's worth making the trip.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dammit, now there's tappings of Otto In Oak and Avery's Rumpkin tonight. My wallet and waistline cannot take GABF week.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

funkybottoms posted:

sigh i loved staying a block away from that place; too bad they didn't have any ridiculous bottles while i was there. pretty sure you know the city, but just in case, hit up Stein Market.

From what I see, the bottles seem a little more appealing right now. I've used up the space left in my car for what I'd bought at the other two stores actually. I even threw a Mad Fox growler away for the sake of making room, but that was no major loss since it didn't have a government warning label for some reason :iiam:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

From what I see, the bottles seem a little more appealing right now. I've used up the space left in my car for what I'd bought at the other two stores actually. I even threw a Mad Fox growler away for the sake of making room, but that was no major loss since it didn't have a government warning label for some reason :iiam:

you can fit a gang of bottles under the seats

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

air- posted:

Government warning label on a growler? What state is that, I've never seen such a thing.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

danbanana posted:

I absolutely loved it, and really wish getting a bottle didn't involve trading away my life for one. My wife isn't the biggest fan of barrel aged stouts, but she drank two glasses of it and was raving about it for days.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I Dont Like You posted:

I absolutely loved it, and really wish getting a bottle didn't involve trading away my life for one. My wife isn't the biggest fan of barrel aged stouts, but she drank two glasses of it and was raving about it for days.

I think it's great too, but with Bourbon County's drastically increased production I don't ever see a reason to try and trade for a bottle, because as good as Black Note is, BCBS is the beer to beat.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Staying in a Portland airport hotel overnight because I've got stupid work :mad: I knew I should have just told all my contacts to take a hike and gone to Denver a day early...

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Staying in a Portland airport hotel overnight because I've got stupid work :mad: I knew I should have just told all my contacts to take a hike and gone to Denver a day early...

At least you can take the Max into town to get some good beer.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Jahoodie posted:

Government warning label on a growler? What state is that, I've never seen such a thing.

California has a warning label. poo poo, when I bought a couple from different breweries, they also had the cancer warning sticker thanks to Prop 65. Which warn us that the ink used on the exterior of the bottle can cause cancer.

Found out that Stone's Pasadena store will have growler fills of Best By 11-9-12

I wonder what the reaction will be to coming in with the 9-21 bottle in hand?

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

crazyfish posted:

I think it's great too, but with Bourbon County's drastically increased production I don't ever see a reason to try and trade for a bottle, because as good as Black Note is, BCBS is the beer to beat.

Oh, I agree. Being able to buy 2 4-packs of BCBS this year instead of a single bottle was very, very, very nice.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Docjowles posted:

Dammit, now there's tappings of Otto In Oak and Avery's Rumpkin tonight. My wallet and waistline cannot take GABF week.

Are you planning to hit any Cigar City event? We're at Hops & Pie now. Gonna do Star Bar tomorrow at 5pm.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Are you planning to hit any Cigar City event? We're at Hops & Pie now. Gonna do Star Bar tomorrow at 5pm.

i'm not out there, but i told my boy Nick from Hardywood Park to keep an eye out for you- if you run into any of those guys, say what's up.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Doubt it unless you have something Saturday night :( It's a long rear end drive down to Denver especially for a work night, not planning to be down there til the session on Saturday. Just been hitting up events locally this week.

I'll be sure to hit up the CCB booth on the floor, though.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Nask26 posted:

Has anyone had the mint chocolate stout from stone yet? My normal place in AZ won't get it until Friday but a tiny bar here got a keg of it early I guess. Wondering if it's worth making the trip.

Verdict? It's good. Does really evolve as it sits. Not an overwhelming amount of mint. Sort of like a girls scout thin mint cookie, but a bit milder with the mint up front but as it gets to room temp it'll come out a little more.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Docjowles posted:

Did you have it?

I wound up at Fox and Hound in Philly last night, they had $2 drafts of everything so I had: Milk Stout on nitro, Elysian Split Shot which is a great coffee stout, Southern Tier 2xIPA which is okay kind of grassy, and a Sam Adams Fat Jack. We then went to Monk's since the event finished and had Pliny the Elder on tap, which I still don't love it's good but there are many other IIPAs I'd take over it, and the we bought a 2007 bottle of Raison d'Extra and we all liked it despite it being pretty loving heavy on the raisins that had a musky flavor and aroma to them.

It was a good night.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Alpine in cans? Well sure, I would enjoy that...

Alpine Beer Co posted:

This is potentially some of the biggest news to ever come out of Alpine Beer Company. With the signing of a couple of hop contracts we have positioned ourselves to produce an additional 2,000 barrels of Duet and an additional 2,000 barrels of Nelson starting in late 2013. A “barrel” is two kegs. We plan on new packaging with a 16 oz. bigmouth twist off can along with 22 oz. bottles and kegs. There is little more I can currently say about how we are going to pull this off but know there is a lot of work to be done to assure the quality and standards are met while stepping up production. And, with Water being the largest ingredient in beer, it becomes the primary flavor contributor and is a highly important part of beer itself. Let’s just say we found a killer water source and a place to make more beer, yahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

I'm flabbergasted they're still in that ugly old 1950s bungalow.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

wattershed posted:

Twist off can? How does that work?

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Tigren posted:

Twist off can? How does that work?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

:aaaaa:

That'd be... crazy.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm flabbergasted they're still in that ugly old 1950s bungalow.

I'm surprised they haven't killed that bookstore and hair dresser owner and just taken over that whole thing.

Oh, it's probably cause their beer was meant for only locals within a 10 mile radius.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah it's probably something like that. Earlier this year Oskar Blues had a news piece out about how they were going to try this new kind of can. I don't really see the benefit but whatever.

Also they are supposedly going to make and can whiskey (:wtc:) although I haven't seen any sign of that yet

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Ahaha the rumors of that were going around last year even. Such things exist in Japan at least aready.

Also the main benefit of those cans is resealability. This is really key if you're drinking while skiing, tubing down the river, etc.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 10, 2012

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Wait, people don't just finish the beer in one sitting. I may have a problem.

Didn't Monster have a resealable can that didn't look like a silver bullet? Can't say I dislike the idea, but unless it demands me to do so, I just pour it out into another glass anyway. The big complaint about cans is the metallic taste, which I had thought came from the fact that your taste buds are up against the can if you drink it from the can.

While it's not craft beer, by any stretch. Here's a free Guinness event for the following cities
https://guinnessbeliever.com/

Denver - 2/28-3/2
LA - 2/6-2/8
NY - 5/1-5/3
Philly - 10/11-10/12
San Diego - 2/15-2/16
San Fran - 1/30-2/1
DC - 10/17-10/19

Free beer and "the perfect pint".

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Wasn't the Sun King brewery talking about using the resealable cans for their sours and barrel aged beers?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Docjowles posted:

Yeah it's probably something like that. Earlier this year Oskar Blues had a news piece out about how they were going to try this new kind of can. I don't really see the benefit but whatever.

Also they are supposedly going to make and can whiskey (:wtc:) although I haven't seen any sign of that yet

Canned whiskey sounds badass because I could just pour it into one of those crystal decanters like a supervillain/rear end in a top hat CEO.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Between softball games and football tailgating, the more opportunities I have to drink quality beer in cans, the better life is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
This is a little off-topic, but I couldn't really find a better spot for it. So excuse me if I'm not talking about beer, directly...

My local bottle shop/draught house recently expanded to a full restaurant and the owner mentioned that he wanted a digital draught menu to display over the bar on a TV. This is something that I can make happen, so I pitched the concept, bid the work, and set it up.

Pretty fun little project, and it's benefited me beyond getting paid a little for the work - I get a to-the-minute draught list any time I want it and even when I don't (it automates their facebook updates)!

Anyhow, if any of you beer goons do any drinking in/around Snohomish WA and you haven't had a couple at Trail's End, it's worth it. Especially if you're a hop head - the guys who run it always have like 6 IPAs on.