Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I should figure out a way to make big bucks off of SF doom scenarios.

Just gonna convince nerds that they need to give me money to help make X-COM so the aliens don't kill us.

I got really excited when I misread what yousaid as MF Doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I should figure out a way to make big bucks off of SF doom scenarios.

Just gonna convince nerds that they need to give me money to help make X-COM so the aliens don't kill us.

Then again if you can make half the technological and scientific breakthroughs that XCOM does on the regular you'd pretty much have the number one institution in the world.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Annointed posted:

Then again if you can make half the technological and scientific breakthroughs that XCOM does on the regular you'd pretty much have the number one institution in the world.

You don't understand how this scam works, do you

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

You don't understand how this scam works, do you

I'm assuming Star Citizen logic

fake it 'til you most likely definitely not make it :v:

EDIT: Watch the Michael Moore and Sargon "debate", it ends up being a massacre as Sargon is unable to actually label what's "regressive".

Annointed has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Mar 2, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lady Naga posted:

It's super weird to be in the Dork Enlightenment thread and be like "I had no idea there were nordic hypermasculine bros that want to return to a fascist status quo wherein they are free to stomp on the downtrodden".

I had a simplified and stereotyped perception of Notch. I've assumed there are bigoted shitheads all around the world, and I'm aware of the Return of Kings etc., but part of the fun has been thinking they were powerless and marginalized. Whereas Guy Who Made Thing I And Others Liked was probably cool and normal, right?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DStecks posted:

Sits on the greatest personal fortune ever made through video games. That's basically it. I mean, it kinda makes sense considering that Notch is a code monkey who made his name by combining the ideas of two infinitely more talented designers, he has absolutely no design sensibilities of his own, or any apparent artistic inclination whatsoever.

What I just cannot wrap my head around is how a guy, steeped in video games and game development his entire life (IIRC his dad taught him to code pretty much as soon as he could read), stumbles onto literal billions and doesn't immediately start assembling a team to create their dream game. Or start a publishing company to pick up indie devs who he personally thinks are cool. I don't think he's got any obligation to use his money to make games, it's just that I can't understand not doing that.

He did, but he couldn't figure out how to make it not poo poo so he got depressed and gave up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0x10c

Apparently some fans have taken it up instead.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Hawkins posted:

I had a simplified and stereotyped perception of Notch. I've assumed there are bigoted shitheads all around the world, and I'm aware of the Return of Kings etc., but part of the fun has been thinking they were powerless and marginalized. Whereas Guy Who Made Thing I And Others Liked was probably cool and normal, right?
There's a big difference between "has some bigoted opinions he mostly keeps to himself" and "writes a web page that is pretty much by design proving incorrect everyone who doubts rape culture is a thing" IMO.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Cingulate posted:

There's a big difference between "has some bigoted opinions he mostly keeps to himself" and "writes a web page that is pretty much by design proving incorrect everyone who doubts rape culture is a thing" IMO.

Ah, no. As has been clearly proven throughout this thread, everyone who is wrong is equally wrong. And everyone who disagrees with me agrees with each other.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nuance is the new foreplay.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus gently caress why is Scott so obsessed with Nootropics

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
If Notch being a bigot upsets you because kids enjoy his product then I have some uncomfortable truths to tell you about this Walt Disney fellow...

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Lady Naga posted:

If Notch being a bigot upsets you because kids enjoy his product then I have some uncomfortable truths to tell you about this Walt Disney fellow...

Are you telling me there are secret nazi murals hidden throughout Minecraftland?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

I don't let my younger cousins watch racist crows and native americans and sneaky conniving asia- I mean siamese cats.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Annointed posted:

I don't let my younger cousins watch racist crows and native americans and sneaky conniving asia- I mean siamese cats.

Not really sure what that has to do with anything?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Not allowing my younger relatives to be exposed to racist caricatures in Disney films?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

They're saying that Walt Disney's racism leaked into some of their movies - Song of the South being the blindingly obvious one. Beware the tarbaby!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Cingulate posted:

Jesus gently caress why is Scott so obsessed with Nootropics
MORE SMARTER = BETTER THAN

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

neonnoodle posted:

MORE SMARTER = BETTER THAN
That's the answer to the boring question ("what would Scott say himself?"). The interesting questions are:
1. Why is Scott personally so concerned with it? Does he consider his own intelligence in dire need of improvement (and if yes, why), or where is he going?
2. Why, of all things, nootropics? Why the faux-biological angle of attack, instead of any of the other overhyped snake oil (with a behavioral, not chemist, taste)?

Seemingly applies to all of these people, since he has so many people filling out these questionnaires.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nessus posted:

Ask him what he thinks of the journalistic ethics warriors.

I still can't get over the fact that they are now literally concocting conspiracy theories about the JEWs. :godwin:

divabot posted:

Yudkowsky's memeplex

Can we just call them "ideas" again?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

That's the answer to the boring question ("what would Scott say himself?"). The interesting questions are:
1. Why is Scott personally so concerned with it? Does he consider his own intelligence in dire need of improvement (and if yes, why), or where is he going?
2. Why, of all things, nootropics? Why the faux-biological angle of attack, instead of any of the other overhyped snake oil (with a behavioral, not chemist, taste)?

Seemingly applies to all of these people, since he has so many people filling out these questionnaires.

Science says nootropics actually work, if your idea of "science" is the wikipedia page about nootropics and your idea of "works" is "shows a barely there correlation to something that may or may not be related"

Like I assume he gets all his information on science things from Wikipedia, and nootropics are probably the most favorably treated smart-making-thing on wikipedia.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Woolie Wool posted:

I still can't get over the fact that they are now literally concocting conspiracy theories about the JEWs. :godwin:

It would be much more surprising for a right-wing conspiracy theory to not eventually focus Jews.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Annointed posted:

I got the impression from this sort of cartoon that Siamese cats were awful creatures. I was actually surprised when I met some and discovered they're nicer and friendlier than most cats.

Woolie Wool posted:

ehh. It's not just the ideas, it's that they form a nigh-hermetic cluster.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Memetics is an unproductive pseudoscience that's only still alive because new atheism happened.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I feel tempted to dig up one of those Orion's Arm worldbuilding articles about how super-AIs can write propaganda that is so supernaturally persuasive that it can instantly convert anyone of a lower Super Saiyan singularity level, so all "sophonts" need "memetic filters" implanted in their minds to automatically remove all hostile information from their awareness, lest they be "memetically subverted" into committing treason by a foreign AI.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Cingulate posted:

Scott appears to believe in g, so it would make sense that only STEMichals could increase your awesome IQ powers. If it were possible to become smarter through effort/study/NLP, it would challenge some fundamental aspects of his worldview.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woolie Wool posted:

I feel tempted to dig up one of those Orion's Arm worldbuilding articles about how super-AIs can write propaganda that is so supernaturally persuasive that it can instantly convert anyone of a lower Super Saiyan singularity level, so all "sophonts" need "memetic filters" implanted in their minds to automatically remove all hostile information from their awareness, lest they be "memetically subverted" into committing treason by a foreign AI.

If you actually take memetics seriously, the logical position is skeptical quietism, because everything you believe or think, and everything, everyone around you believes or thinks, is ultimately the result of struggles between alien entities working parasitically on the human mind. Nobody goes there, because memetics exists to use lovely biology metaphors in order to pwn faithtards, and has no use aside from that.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

neonnoodle posted:

Scott appears to believe in g, so it would make sense that only STEMichals could increase your awesome IQ powers. If it were possible to become smarter through effort/study/NLP, it would challenge some fundamental aspects of his worldview.

This is a lovely strawman.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/02/01/talents-part-2-attitude-vs-altitude/

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

neonnoodle posted:

What is so strange now is how you look for reasons, not causes.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Annointed posted:

Not allowing my younger relatives to be exposed to racist caricatures in Disney films?

Good for you I guess? Thanks for letting me know.

Cingulate posted:

It would be much more surprising for a right-wing conspiracy theory to not eventually focus Jews.

The thing that bugs me most about GamerGaters and the alt-right in general is this smug, slimy tone they all have. They're literally incapable of treating anything seriously it's all just a big joke. "Oh yeah let's ironically call our opposition JEWs and make up funny terms like freeze peach because otherwise we'd have to actually own up to what we're saying."

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Naga posted:

The thing that bugs me most about GamerGaters and the alt-right in general is this smug, slimy tone they all have.
Really? With me, it's the hatred and the fascism.

Not taking things so seriously always seemed like an admirable quality to me.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Cingulate posted:

I hate you so loving much Cingulate.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lady Naga posted:

:smug:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You're wrong anyway, sincerity and earnestness are much more admirable qualities than snarky jokey-joke telling, especially when it comes to important things.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Lady Naga posted:

Honestly this could go after the thread title

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Lady Naga posted:

Good for you I guess? Thanks for letting me know.

The thing that bugs me most about GamerGaters and the alt-right in general is this smug, slimy tone they all have. They're literally incapable of treating anything seriously it's all just a big joke. "Oh yeah let's ironically call our opposition JEWs and make up funny terms like freeze peach because otherwise we'd have to actually own up to what we're saying."

FYI "freeze peach" isn't a gamergate term. It got a bunch of use of the leftier parts of freethoughblogs back when gamergate was elevatorgate.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly CBA to really talk about this even though it falls under my area of expertise much more strongly than e.g. IQ does, but:
- nootropics work
- ... for very specific things
- e.g., short-term memory persistence and attention as measured by very reduced, static cognitive tasks, with very little overlap to real-world knowledge work - if at all, it resembles twitchy computer games, or driving a truck while tired
- none of which seem to resemble what Scott most likely wishes he was better at

Scott should know this - better than me, too. He's the psychiatrist. He should know that there is, e.g., a trade-off between D1-like and D2-like receptors (Arnsten, Durstewitz, inverted U, blah blah).

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Patrick Spens posted:

FYI "freeze peach" isn't a gamergate term. It got a bunch of use of the leftier parts of freethoughblogs back when gamergate was elevatorgate.

They co-opted that though along with their own super funny terms like muh soggy knees.

Cingulate posted:

I honestly CBA to really talk about this

You should CBT instead.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Cingulate posted:

Yeah, but they're going to be hateful fascists anyway. The fact that they're joking and ironic about it makes it so much harder to argue against them because it's the ultimate escape hatch. "Can't you take a joke? LOL".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Woolie Wool posted:

:allears: Please do! I can't be the only person fascinated with the objectivist fever dream of Orion's Arms

http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/45eb1db209fe9

"Some very strict ethical systems proscribe all meat eating except for meat which is cloned from the consumer, since that is the only DNA which is certainly the property of the consumer."

Property rights! Cannibalize yourself, and face to Privatization.