Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That'll do it, I just about forget the Vysaga exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Caphi posted:

That'll do it, I just about forget the Vysaga exists.

Such words...even I could...!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Caphi posted:

Wait a loving minute.

What the hell is "Sword of the Big Five" supposed to be? I can't think of anything that'd have come from.

Its Vysaga! So whatever Vysaga's sword is supposed to be.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Caphi posted:

Wait a loving minute.

What the hell is "Sword of the Big Five" supposed to be? I can't think of anything that'd have come from.

I too refer to 80 meter giant bright purple crystal dragons as "mashed sweetened chestnut fellas."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Big Five! Allegiance or Death!

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

MechaX posted:

I too refer to 80 meter giant bright purple crystal dragons as "mashed sweetened chestnut fellas."

That's gotta be one of Excellen's puns that just Do Not translate. Right?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I think it's cos his torso looks like a chestnut or something, Kouta isn't the brightest boy around.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

EthanSteele posted:

Its Vysaga! So whatever Vysaga's sword is supposed to be.

Vysaga's weapons have an elemental theme, so I guess Godaiken as the strongest weapon is supposed to represent combining all of their powers, even if the actual attack animation doesn't reflect that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I left OG after Gaiden but I had heard of how... special The Moon Dwellers' translation was. That vastly surpasses what I expected though.

Please tell me they got better. The little I've seen of V is awkward but not this awful.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Schwarzwald posted:

Big Five! Allegiance or Death!

Yessssss

edit: 2nd OG stream going up in a few mins.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
SRW V has a fairly good translation, and not just by comparison to Moon Dwellers.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Blaze Dragon posted:

I left OG after Gaiden but I had heard of how... special The Moon Dwellers' translation was. That vastly surpasses what I expected though.

Please tell me they got better. The little I've seen of V is awkward but not this awful.

V's translation is really good. It uses the word twitterpated.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 23, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

from what i've played of V i've seen a decent amount of typos in rando battle dialogue but the actual plot stuff seems pretty well translated

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's only tangentially related but I'm so loving happy that there's gonna be another proper Valkyria game.

Also EDF5 comes out in a few weeks, with more giant robots than ever it seems.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Brother Entropy posted:

from what i've played of V i've seen a decent amount of typos in rando battle dialogue but the actual plot stuff seems pretty well translated

Yeah, there's typos in fights, Amuro says dong instead of doing, for example, and the occasional "and" or "the" missing in plot time, but its the sort of thing where you generally autofill those words. There's nothing even close to the level of literately the meaning is Thorn or giant amoeba yarou.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!
So I've noticed that there's a few SRW games in English since last I played (I bought the Atlus games on the GBA) and from the last couple pages it sounds like V is the best of this new wave of translations. Since it's on sale at play asia right now would V be the best jumping in point or should I pick up Moon Dwellers or an older rom translation instead (I think I heard J got a translation a while ago)?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
V is very good and standalone. You should get it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

So I've noticed that there's a few SRW games in English since last I played (I bought the Atlus games on the GBA) and from the last couple pages it sounds like V is the best of this new wave of translations. Since it's on sale at play asia right now would V be the best jumping in point or should I pick up Moon Dwellers or an older rom translation instead (I think I heard J got a translation a while ago)?

J's fan translation is good, the game itself is average.

The Moon Dwellers translation is...awkward. Sometimes hilariously, some times it just makes you facepalm, but the gameplay of it is also fine.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The J patch was released in 2010?? That...that can't be right.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

English Moon Dwellers seems to be out of stock now. No surprise, it has been a couple years.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Alpha Gaiden has a slightly buggy but serviceable translation patch if you're willing to wrangle with ePSXe for PS1 emulation.

Tae posted:

The J patch was released in 2010?? That...that can't be right.

Alpha Gaiden translation was 2008. It's going to be 10 years old next Christmas :gonk:

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 24, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alpha's patch being almost done is also 10 years old.

Ghideon has apparently translated SRW Gaiden but said he was gonna do a beta and then nothing. I wanna play with Cybuster dammit!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ghideon has apparently translated SRW Gaiden but said he was gonna do a beta and then nothing. I wanna play with Cybuster dammit!

Masoukishin is definitely still getting progress, no worries there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Masoukishin is definitely still getting progress, no worries there.

Yay!

Edit: Kind of wish it was the PSP version, but gently caress it, playing it at all is amazing and I'm really looking forward to it, terrible Winkysoft mechanics and all.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Here's your new SRW game announcement incoming.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh poo poo oh gently caress I can't wait :allears:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Please get an English release please get an English release please get an English release

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Preemptive congratulations to debuting series Airforce Delta Strike, Godzilla (1998), and Disney's Fireball.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
December 11th isn't in fifteen seconds!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

December 11th isn't in fifteen seconds!

Right??? It can't come soon enough.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also RGG2 Kiwami and EDF5 come out that week so I might be a little distracted.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoSEA/status/933979477834481664

CHUGGA CHUGGA CHOO CHOO ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

What is Shinji being possessed by Mario like?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

What is Shinji being possessed by Mario like?
Very surreal, like I'm on mushrooms.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Raxivace posted:

Very surreal, like I'm on mushrooms.

Hey, does anyone else hear a rimshot or is that just me?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

Thank you for catching this.

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 24, 2017

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I can't wait to see the series debut of *throws dart at list*... War on Geminar.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If we're guessing random obscure series... hmm, Ulysses 31?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

No way, this is finally the game where Ginguiser makes its debut. Either that or this monkey's paw I bought is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Wheel of the series, turn turn turn. Show the series of which I must learn.

• Locked thread