Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Lawnie posted:

When did they print black-bordered basics with the T tap symbol?

"Summer lands" I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

No poo poo, very neat. Actual Revised artist line:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone try a Battle of the Planes Phantom Swiss Sealed League yet?

https://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2328/=12

Description says: "3 minutes for deck review, then up to 3 rounds at your convenience, with each round up to 50 minutes."

3 minutes for deck review? None of the other sealed leagues say this. Copy/paste error?

edit: Here's more info: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/magic-onlines-fifteenth-anniversary-2017-06-07

odiv fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 15, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

odiv posted:

Anyone try a Battle of the Planes Phantom Swiss Sealed League yet?

https://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2328/=12

Description says: "3 minutes for deck review, then up to 3 rounds at your convenience, with each round up to 50 minutes."

3 minutes for deck review? None of the other sealed leagues say this. Copy/paste error?

What plane do you even pick out of all that?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I mean obviously you just play five times, right?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
But I mean, if I wanted to get three match wins...

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

draft AKH?

edit: Or wait a week for vintage cube.

n1tro
Dec 12, 2005

Dehtraen posted:

"Summer lands" I think?

Summer Basics (see: http://mtg.gamepedia.com/Revised_Edition#Summer_Magic ) are the most expensive basics you can buy.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

St0rmD posted:

Going back to the video, I finally watched it now that I'm home from work. At ~2:01 the Art Director is showing off some of the Hour of Devastation art...anyone want to take an over-under of the big lightning picture right behind his head being actual Bolt?

1) i don't think we'll ever get actual Bolt in standard again
2) even if we did, they aren't going to go straight from no Lightning Strike to Bolt
3) even if they did, we already have the 3 damage uncommon red spell slot spoiled for this set

i'd be perfectly happy with it being Lightning Strike though.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Star Man posted:

What plane do you even pick out of all that?

Innistrad and Zendikar are the two designed with modern sensibilities so will have the best creature base by a healthy margin. I think Mirrodin probably has the bombiest pools considering how crazy bomb heavy Scars block is, the artifact themes and odds of cranial plating. I never drafted original mirrodin, but Fifth Dawn was pretty rough right? Lots of 3+ color matters cards without much fixing?

Zendikar has two packs of Rise, so I'd be really tempted to go that route. Hmm, is there anything spicy with 4 packs of allies? (probably not).

Kalli fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 15, 2017

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Kalli posted:

Innistrad and Zendikar are the two designed with modern sensibilities so will have the best creature base by a healthy margin. I think Mirrodin probably has the bombiest pools considering how crazy bomb heavy Scars block is, the artifact themes and odds of jitte or cranial plating. I never drafted original mirrodin, but Fifth Dawn was pretty rough right? Lots of 3+ color matters cards without much fixing?

Zendikar has two packs of Rise, so I'd be really tempted to go that route. Hmm, is there anything spicy with 4 packs of allies? (probably not).

Jitte was not from Mirrodin.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Tales of Woe posted:

my favorite recent basic land art is the Temur forests from KTK https://scryfall.com/card/ktk/267 https://scryfall.com/card/ktk/268

basically I want more land art that looks like black metal album covers, or caspar david friedrich paintings

Thats's a good find, thanks for pointing it out.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kalli posted:

Innistrad and Zendikar are the two designed with modern sensibilities so will have the best creature base by a healthy margin. I think Mirrodin probably has the bombiest pools considering how crazy bomb heavy Scars block is, the artifact themes and odds of jitte or cranial plating. I never drafted original mirrodin, but Fifth Dawn was pretty rough right? Lots of 3+ color matters cards without much fixing?

Yeah but is seems like you could do something very broken if you open well with the Dominaria packs. Getting a bunch of good Slivers or Shadow creatures would be neigh-unblockable when competing against other decks. I could also see Ravnica going very well. A few friends and I drafted a grab-bag of Amonkhet, Gatecrash, and Theros recently and combining the Boros stuff from each set made for a crazy limited deck.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mikujin posted:

Jitte was not from Mirrodin.

Yeah, I'm dumb, I originally wrote artifact lands, but there's only one pack of those.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Survived not 1, but 2 Ulamogs in a single game to pull out a victory with Turbofog. Love this deck.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ManMythLegend posted:

Survived not 1, but 2 Ulamogs in a single game to pull out a victory with Turbofog. Love this deck.

Yeah, it owns.

What does your list look like? This deck is even better now that Marvel is gone. You basically poo poo all over Zombies, Temur Energy, Vehicles, Humans. Only match up that is tough UR Control. If you land a T3 Visions it's over, I mostly sideboard for that matchup.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Yeah, it owns.

What does your list look like? This deck is even better now that Marvel is gone. You basically poo poo all over Zombies, Temur Energy, Vehicles, Humans. Only match up that is tough UR Control. If you land a T3 Visions it's over, I mostly sideboard for that matchup.

I've tinkered with it slightly since last time I posted it. As Foretold does so much work in this deck it's ridiculous. If I land it early I'm probably 90%+ for that game. I'll even hold off on Fevered Visions a turn to play it if needed.

I'm considering pulling the Censors and replacing them with Essence Scatters and maybe adding an extra Fumigate instead of a Repel the Abominable because it really helps stabilize life totals and its the card most likely to cause rage quits.

MML's Turbofog 2.0

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
2 Canopy Vista
2 Cinder Glade
4 Evolving Wilds
1 Forest
2 Highland Lake
1 Inspiring Vantage
2 Island
2 Lumbering Falls
2 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Tranquil Expanse

//Spells
2 Anticipate
2 Approach of the Second Sun
1 As Foretold
2 Cast Out
2 Censor
4 Commencement of Festivities
1 Commit // Memory
2 Encircling Fissure
4 Fevered Visions
2 Fumigate
4 Glimmer of Genius
4 Haze of Pollen
2 Negate
4 Repel the Abominable

//Sideboard
2 Cast Out
1 Censor
1 Commit // Memory
2 Harnessed Lightning
2 Natural Obsolescence
2 Radiant Flames
2 Void Shatter
2 Woodweaver's Puzzleknot

Display deck statistics

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Kalli posted:

Innistrad and Zendikar are the two designed with modern sensibilities so will have the best creature base by a healthy margin. I think Mirrodin probably has the bombiest pools considering how crazy bomb heavy Scars block is, the artifact themes and odds of cranial plating. I never drafted original mirrodin, but Fifth Dawn was pretty rough right? Lots of 3+ color matters cards without much fixing?

Obviously lots of luck involved, but Mirrordin gives you a lot of potentially free wins with insane artifacts and was bomb heavy, and then on top of that is going to give consistently solid pools due to the high artifact count. I think Rise has the strongest overall power level of any of the packs and you get two, but TSP was a sweet format.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Obviously lots of luck involved, but Mirrordin gives you a lot of potentially free wins with insane artifacts and was bomb heavy, and then on top of that is going to give consistently solid pools due to the high artifact count. I think Rise has the strongest overall power level of any of the packs and you get two, but TSP was a sweet format.

Original Mirrodin block also has really good removal and some of the most absurd uncommons. Terror is a common, as is Spikeshot Goblin, and Fireball, Skullclamp and Betrayal of Flesh are some pretty nutty uncommons. The real bummer is that Infect in Scars block means you're most likely going to open a large number of unplayable creatures.

Rise kind of sucks due to the above average number of unplayable cards and Rise as a draft format only really worked because of the multiple synergy archetypes which you can't really take advantage of in a sealed.

Pick Dominaria because a lot of the commons in Onslaught Block would be instant first pick bomb rares nowadays, and Sprout Swarm is stupid and nearly unbeatable. Plus, plenty of morphs if you really need some Grey Ogres.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Original Mirrodin had Loxodon Warhammer at uncommon. It was pretty goddamn broken.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yep, just went 2-1 with Mirrodin Rakdos. Loxodon Warhammer was pretty great. Got smoked by Time Spiral Boros, then I beat a bad (or super unlucky) Mirrodin green deck and a pretty sweet Innistrad Rakdos Vampire deck (Olivia's Dragoon into Curse of Stalked Prey into Stensia Masquerade, ouch).

Here's my deck for you to make fun of:

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Original Mirrodin block also has really good removal and some of the most absurd uncommons. Terror is a common, as is Spikeshot Goblin, and Fireball, Skullclamp and Betrayal of Flesh are some pretty nutty uncommons. The real bummer is that Infect in Scars block means you're most likely going to open a large number of unplayable creatures.

Rise kind of sucks due to the above average number of unplayable cards and Rise as a draft format only really worked because of the multiple synergy archetypes which you can't really take advantage of in a sealed.

Pick Dominaria because a lot of the commons in Onslaught Block would be instant first pick bomb rares nowadays, and Sprout Swarm is stupid and nearly unbeatable. Plus, plenty of morphs if you really need some Grey Ogres.

Yeah there's like 50 different reasons I would pick Mirrordin as my pool if all I wanted to do was win, Some of the infect creatures were actually quite good regardless, like Tangle Angler. There's also the most cross block synergy, I'd be completely shocked if it wasn't the best.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some new Hour art

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
If that's not at least Lightning Strike, they're doing a heck of a trolling job there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sarcastro posted:

If that's not at least Lightning Strike, they're doing a heck of a trolling job there.

Don't know the original source. These could include invocations.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Come on that's...that's Lightning Bolt. It might end up being an Invocation, sure, but that art is very much Lightning Bolt.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Have they had "Bolt of Lightning" yet?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
That insect (god?) looks cool as poo poo

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Also, please reprint Psionic blast

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Jenx posted:

Come on that's...that's Lightning Bolt. It might end up being an Invocation, sure, but that art is very much Lightning Bolt.

I didn't want to even say it out loud, though, for fear of jinxing the tiny chance of that (in non-Invocation form).

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Sarcastro posted:

I didn't want to even say it out loud, though, for fear of jinxing the tiny chance of that (in non-Invocation form).

gently caress your superstitious nonsense! Bolt to the face for 3!

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

They're not putting loving lightning bolt in Standard in 2017, please stop setting yourself up for disappointment.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Tales of Woe posted:

They're not putting loving lightning bolt in Standard in 2017, please stop setting yourself up for disappointment.

Impossibly Powerful Lightning
3RR
Instant
Destroy up to two target artfacts or lands.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Bolt would be dope in Standard. People bitch about not having "answers" and it would fill that need request nicely.

Red burn would be dope as hell with Bolt and Shock.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If we got Bolt in Standard, we wouldn't have it at the same time as Shock. Come on guys.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Entropic posted:

If we got Bolt in Standard, we wouldn't have it at the same time as Shock. Come on guys.

That would make it even better TBH.

Gearhulking into a Bolt would be extremely cool and fun

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Lightning bolt is rarely played in modern anymore, its fine for standard.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Bolt would be a pushed card in Standard, but I agree with Sickening that the power creep in creature size over the last couple years likely makes it just really good instead of format warping.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

The art is just going to be for the Invocation, of course. But still, a man can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Also if we're getting Lightning Bolt back in Standard, I'd assume it'd be in Dominaria if anywhere.