Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
again if you can afford to spend 20000 USD on trading cards and not be evicted, i won't lose any sleep over your gambling funding my fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Is that the bar? Getting evicted / 20k?

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

again if you can afford to spend 20000 USD on trading cards and not be evicted, i won't lose any sleep over your gambling funding my fun

thank you for not addressing any of the actual points made and insisting on your imaginary reality where you're right

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Gatcha and loot box stuff is terrible but I always wonder why people don't have the same visceral reaction to magic the gathering and Pokémon cards etc, which are exactly the same thing but worse as you generally can't even begin to compete unless you buy tonnes every year.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quote-Unquote posted:

but I always wonder why people don't have the same visceral reaction to magic the gathering and Pokémon cards etc, which are exactly the same thing but worse as you generally can't even begin to compete unless you buy tonnes every year.

I have the same visceral reaction to them for what is worth but yeah I agree.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Quote-Unquote posted:

Gatcha and loot box stuff is terrible but I always wonder why people don't have the same visceral reaction to magic the gathering and Pokémon cards etc, which are exactly the same thing but worse as you generally can't even begin to compete unless you buy tonnes every year.

Because those give you a physical product that you can trade and re-sell and you're not at the risk of losing them if the servers go down.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Vandar posted:

Because those give you a physical product that you can trade and re-sell and you're not at the risk of losing them if the servers go down.

They are equally predatory, if not more since every year introduces new stuff that devalues most of your old stuff (or makes it worthless). Like you literally can't play if the people you play with spend more money than you. And you're locked out of many official tournaments etc. That's way worse than charging you money for a random chance to get some cosmetic item in a game.

OTOH, living card games like Arkham Horror and Marvel Champions are cool and good because only one person needs the base game and anyone can buy expansions for themselves for new characters if they want.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
people like to gamble. gambling is inherently exploitative. you can try to ban it but people will find ways to gamble anyway. the best approach is to regulate it so that the odds, costs and potential rewards have to be made clear in advance. all the gacha games i've tried do this.

if people with gambling problems are going to be exploited anyway, its best their exploitation could serve the common good through state lotteries and gacha games

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

people like to gamble. gambling is inherently exploitative. you can try to ban it but people will find ways to gamble anyway. the best approach is to regulate it so that the odds, costs and potential rewards have to be made clear in advance. all the gacha games i've tried do this.

if people with gambling problems are going to be exploited anyway, its best their exploitation could serve the common good through state lotteries and gacha games

And also it proliferates the spread of anime waifus, perhaps the most important benefit of all

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I want to say I'd never play a gacha game, but there's a new one coming that's just wall to wall twinks and I'm worried about the safety of my wallet.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

that character design is insanely dumb and bad, I can't imagine how that could possibly entice you to play that game. Dude has a random tartan hat and a bunch of mismatched gems on his belt.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Gambling is fine and like most things in life you have to rely on people getting bored of it themselves

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Quote-Unquote posted:

They are equally predatory, if not more since every year introduces new stuff that devalues most of your old stuff (or makes it worthless). Like you literally can't play if the people you play with spend more money than you. And you're locked out of many official tournaments etc. That's way worse than charging you money for a random chance to get some cosmetic item in a game.

OTOH, living card games like Arkham Horror and Marvel Champions are cool and good because only one person needs the base game and anyone can buy expansions for themselves for new characters if they want.

This is... Objectively not true? There are a lot of predatory practices around mtg, new cards being pushed has been an issue lately, but spending the most money on the game isn't how it's won

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Did anyone ever play American McGee's Alice?

I remember seeing previews in vidyagame magazines as a kid and thought it looked cool as poo poo and then I completely forgot about it.

the original and the remake are both great platformers. It's got a creepy vibe to it but it's nothing too deep, like a Tim Burten movie

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ilmucche posted:

This is... Objectively not true? There are a lot of predatory practices around mtg, new cards being pushed has been an issue lately, but spending the most money on the game isn't how it's won

How do you get the best cards, on average based on the probability of them appearing, without spending more money?

And tournaments regularly restrict which old cards you can use, so yes you have to buy new ones to play. Unless this has changed dramatically, it's been a long time since I played admittedly. New mechanics were introduced yearly that you couldn't beat without new cards.

Maybe I'm just old but I like paying money for a game and then I can play it without having to pay again to stay competitive.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm playing Terminator Resistance on PS5 because goons said it was good if janky. It's fun but wow the character models in dialogue are like some elder Scrolls poo poo and the voice acting is somehow worse than FF7R. I've been mashing through dialogue because it's bad and this has resulted in two sex scenes lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Beartaco posted:

I think anyone who complains about Pay to Win games should simply earn more money.

this is why I viscerally hate any whale game. I play vidya to escape the hosed up world of capitalism we exist in. but all these companies want to just reproduce those social hierarchies In their games and I'm just sick of it. I don't play games so rich people can jerk themselves off even more than they already do :argh:

*returns to solo minecraft world*

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

that character design is insanely dumb and bad, I can't imagine how that could possibly entice you to play that game. Dude has a random tartan hat and a bunch of mismatched gems on his belt.

There are some things that you can only understand when you're on the twink lifestyle, and this game is obviously one of these. So I don't blame you for not understanding.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

if you are playing constructed there is a multi hundrand dollar price on any viable deck and you know it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Quote-Unquote posted:

I do, they are just scratch tickets marketed to kids

Rutibex posted:

this is why I viscerally hate any whale game. I play vidya to escape the hosed up world of capitalism we exist in. but all these companies want to just reproduce those social hierarchies In their games and I'm just sick of it. I don't play games so rich people can jerk themselves off even more than they already do :argh:

*returns to solo minecraft world*

This is also a god point. Now even your supposedly relaxing entertainment carries the same economic anxieties as everything else.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edEO9Ldb_VQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Caesar Saladin posted:

this guy doesn't happen to be the rightful king of Deltora does he

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rutibex posted:

if you are playing constructed there is a multi hundrand dollar price on any viable deck and you know it

I mean you're not playing even beer league sports without shelling out a decent amount either. Video games skew cheaper but hobbies come with a cost.

This is not a defence of gacha games though

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

steinrokkan posted:

This is also a god point. Now even your supposedly relaxing entertainment carries the same economic anxieties as everything else.

stressed out by a painful reminder of harsh economic realities as I gaze upon this lovingly drawn cg image of hatsune miku wearing a clown suit with cat ears having a fun time with kagamine len.
just look at their wide smiles. that cheerful christmas atmosphere. everyone is having such a good time...
except me. because I know. I know this shall forever remain outside of my reach, because it's a 4 star card

:negative:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I think what they're saying, and I believe there is some truth to this, is that normal people who do not spend thousands of dollars of gachas/twitch donations/LoL skins tend to assume that those who do spend that money are doing it because it's just their frivolous expense de jour. And while this does describe some players, there are many who are just people on average or below average incomes who are in fact causing themselves significant financial problems doing so. Probably this does not lead to literal eviction in most cases, but it does sometimes. More often it probably just results in the standard Monetary Distress issues: skimping on essentials, unnecessary credit card debt, poised for bankruptcy at the first emergency expense, etc...

What I'm saying is that it seems logical to assume that most people throwing thousands at a gacha rolls or dropping big donos in twitch chat must naturally be a bored rich person. But the reality is often it's just some regular person ruining themselves because they crave that hit/attention and have nothing else.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Meme Poker Party posted:

I think what they're saying, and I believe there is some truth to this, is that normal people who do not spend thousands of dollars of gachas/twitch donations/LoL skins tend to assume that those who do spend that money are doing it because it's just their frivolous expense de jour. And while this does describe some players, there are many who are just people on average or below average incomes who are in fact causing themselves significant financial problems doing so. Probably this does not lead to literal eviction in most cases, but it does sometimes. More often it probably just results in the standard Monetary Distress issues: skimping on essentials, unnecessary credit card debt, poised for bankruptcy at the first emergency expense, etc...

What I'm saying is that it seems logical to assume that most people throwing thousands at a gacha rolls or dropping big donos in twitch chat must naturally be a bored rich person. But the reality is often it's just some regular person ruining themselves because they crave that hit/attention and have nothing else.

sure, i get that. but if gacha games didn't exist, they would just find other avenues to satisfy those self-destructive cravings, and they'll still suffer (possible much more in some cases). at least this way a much wider group of people gets to benefit.

also I regularly have most of these "monetary distress" issues without spending thousands of dollars on games, so the amount of sympathy i have to offer these people is limited.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 31, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think this guy is just a sociopath

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

sure, i get that. but if gacha games didn't exist, they would just find other avenues to satisfy those self-destructive cravings, and they'll still suffer (possible much more in some cases). at least this way a much wider group of people gets to benefit.

I guess we're getting into philosophy then. We agree it's bad, but differ on the conclusion. "It's bad, therefore should not happen", versus "it's bad, but without it something else, possibly worse, would fill the void". We'll just have to leave it at that!!!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

site posted:

i think this guy is just a sociopath

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Archer666 posted:

I want to say I'd never play a gacha game, but there's a new one coming that's just wall to wall twinks and I'm worried about the safety of my wallet.

Just remind yourself that animes are incapable of love

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its like they say about sports gambling addicts, the real serious cases are the people who bet on Japanese 3rd division football at 3 in the morning, it sounds ludicrous to someone who just throws a fiver down on a sweepie for their national league but some people do get THAT caught up.

It's wild to me personally but then I'm not going to take the high ground given the Desert Island Discs edition with Richard Osman that came out this week has really made me think I may have an actual food addiction that I'm shameful about. Less glamorous than drugs or alcohol or even gambling but one particular line he said resonated with me, i'm paraphrasing but if an alcoholic went into his house and saw sealed whiskey, wine and vodka bottles they'd be astonished but i'd be just as surprised seeing chocolate bars and packets of crisps in your kitchen.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Just remind yourself that animes are incapable of love

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Quote-Unquote posted:

They did, but the card companies won the legal battle and people gave up. It might be worth revisiting now that people are up in arms about marketing literal gambling to kids in other areas, but there is an unfortunate legal precedent to fight on that one. Specifically, that when the card games provoked that visceral reaction the courts declared it "Totes not gambling because you don't get anything of monetary value from the packs, we can definitely trust Wizards about them not carefully curating rarities to create an aftermarket where cards are worth hundreds of dollars."

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
are you people also deeply opposed to the concept of state lotteries? or is it just that entertainment is not a legitimate target for investing profits gained through exploiting gambling addiction? iirc the proportion of poor people wasting their savings on lotteries is much higher than the relative number of whales for any given gacha game

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

are you people also deeply opposed to the concept of state lotteries? or is it just that entertainment is not a legitimate target for investing profits gained through exploiting gambling addiction? iirc the proportion of poor people wasting their savings on lotteries is much higher than the relative number of whales for any given gacha game

Yup. I know this might astound you, but I am, in fact, against deliberately abusing common psychological weaknesses to harm people for your own benefit. It being the government running those just makes it worse.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Who is pro state lotteries? They’re horrific and prey on the dumbest, poorest, most vulnerable people.

Gambling is horrible

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I already mentioned Im opposed to state lotteries, laffo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jokes posted:

Who is pro state lotteries?

- States

- The bank holding granny's reverse mortgage

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sure it's ruining their lives, but SOMEONE has to contribute a trickle of revenue to schools and who else is going to?

THE RICH!? Get real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this is not the first time that poster has angrily tried to start an argument about lotteries