Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I don't think it matters if you let people know what people's steam name is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Xbox Live, but okay

edit: actually scratch that, I had a win a few rounds before I killed that dude invading my buddy, in a 100% straight-up one on one vs some guy wielding claws. The PvP gear I've had the most success with has been wearing nothing but hollow warrior waistcloth and a hat of my choice for looks, grass crest shield on my back, and two-handing the gold tracer. Still haven't managed to backstab anyone though.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 18, 2018

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I am insanely excited for the remaster. Can't wait to gravelord folks

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

It's how I beat the game for the first time!

in my misbegotten youth i did play through the original pc version of devil may cry 4 this way but i wouldn't bother doing it again in this day and age

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Man, I got a little lazy/sloppy with my process this time and forgot to watch the final videos after exporting them, so there's a couple rough things, only one of which is noticeable to anyone but me though: At one point in my Artorias video the word "SON" appears in blue dark souls font, which is an artifact from when I was playing with the idea of having Artorias talking back to me and chastising me for stupid mistakes I made in the fight. I ended up not doing it, and every time I previewed the clip I'd think "I'll leave that in in case I decide to do something with it," then forgot to remove it. gently caress it, I'm leaving it (for now)

The other thing was I wanted to end Sif with "In the Arms of an Angel" by Sarah McLachlan. Which I might do tonight anyway and then re-upload.

Knight Artorias
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkXo5-kRujU

Artorias also marks the last of the videos I created using the Xbox's native capture feature, which was an absolute nightmare workflow-wise. I've got a rant but it's off topic for this thread, might find a video production thread to rant about it in.

From this point on it's all beautiful 60fps capture from an Elgato!

Manus, Father of the Abyss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeUsS4bZkLA&t=91s

Great Grey Wolf Sif, with bonus guest star in beginning of the video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDYqTFhq944

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I can confirm that the Rekindled mod makes the Bed of Chaos fight a lot different, although I found it so frustrating I honestly think it's worse.

Instead of the puzzle boss it's instead the bug lying in the middle of the arena...except there are 2 phantoms (one pyromancer, one dex build) that attack you and are unkillable. The Bed of Chaos will start doing it's own attacks too once HP hits 50%. It's extremely annoying to fight because you spend most of your time running in circles trying to avoid the phantoms.

I dunno what you're supposed to do if you're a heavy armor build, poo poo's maddening.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You could always try changing your equipment to match the fight. People always mention going havels for nito, why not the other way around?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Great Grey Wolf Sif, with bonus guest star in beginning of the video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDYqTFhq944
i suppose it's worth knowing that the intro cutscene for sif isn't one people normally get when you meet sif in the dlc you change the intro cutscene to one where sif recognises you instead of the one 99% of players see, even on subsequent playthroughs

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i suppose it's worth knowing that the intro cutscene for sif isn't one people normally get when you meet sif in the dlc you change the intro cutscene to one where sif recognises you instead of the one 99% of players see, even on subsequent playthroughs
:smith::smith::smith::smith::smith:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

you generally have to go out of your way to get that cutscene, so congrats on feeling more of a monster

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Boop the snoot :smith:

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Rekindled mod gives the abyss greatsword the covenant of artorias effect so you can let sleeping dogs lie

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

You could always try changing your equipment to match the fight. People always mention going havels for nito, why not the other way around?

Oh I did. I only had my axe + wand and light armor on. I'm doing a magic build for the first time ever and I have to say what Rekindled + Prepare to Die Again does for magic builds really makes them feel good to play and unique. Even with that though I was still having some real problems dealing with things. It'd be easier if you could summon when using mods but welp, you can't.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

axeil posted:

I can confirm that the Rekindled mod makes the Bed of Chaos fight a lot different, although I found it so frustrating I honestly think it's worse.

Instead of the puzzle boss it's instead the bug lying in the middle of the arena...except there are 2 phantoms (one pyromancer, one dex build) that attack you and are unkillable. The Bed of Chaos will start doing it's own attacks too once HP hits 50%. It's extremely annoying to fight because you spend most of your time running in circles trying to avoid the phantoms.

I dunno what you're supposed to do if you're a heavy armor build, poo poo's maddening.

Source? That honestly sounds better that the current build. Also, did they make a closer bonfire?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Right outside the boss door

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Epic.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

Source? That honestly sounds better that the current build. Also, did they make a closer bonfire?

Here ya go:

Prepare to Die Again: https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/1372

Rekindled: https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/1239

They break invasions and sunbroing but I'd recommend them to anyone who's a Souls veteran and is looking for a new challenge.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No they don't break online? Prepare to die again recommends offline play because online may cause weird situations, but it's definitely possible. I've seen streamers get invaded while playing it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I got the prepare to die again mod and keep getting cut down in the undead burg

in the loving undead burg

lmao this owns

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
man, I am really not enjoying this Kalameet fight

edit: of COURSE, right after I bitch about it, I kill her handily.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 21, 2018

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

man, I am really not enjoying this Kalameet fight

edit: of COURSE, right after I bitch about it, I kill her handily.

Were you able to collect the tail as a trophy?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Andrigaar posted:

Were you able to collect the tail as a trophy?

No :( I kept trying to do a tail cut, especially because I realized recently that I'd been neglecting to try and cut the tails of a lot of bosses, but I could never get an opportunity to.

edit: and looking it up, now I'm REAL sad I didn't get a tail cut, that looks like a real fun weapon

all right, I think all I've got left is New Londo

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 21, 2018

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I always get it so late in the game that I've never used it. Also I'm not sure I've ever gotten it solo. Usually, or maybe always, summoned a phantom so one of us can jump around waving their arms while the other gets to work removing it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

IIrc, the Great Club is also very good.

For faith weapons, the Dragonslayer Spear always seemed appealing, especially with the Lightning damage. I can't remember if it's actually good or not though.

Fully upgraded raw great club does insane dmg with high strength. You can just stunlock most non giant bosses with R1 spam and the tracking on the r1 is REALLY good. It has a bit of a homing to it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

No :( I kept trying to do a tail cut, especially because I realized recently that I'd been neglecting to try and cut the tails of a lot of bosses, but I could never get an opportunity to.

edit: and looking it up, now I'm REAL sad I didn't get a tail cut, that looks like a real fun weapon

all right, I think all I've got left is New Londo

Kalameet's tail cut is easily the hardest to get in the game. There's like, three attacks that you cut it during and you need to really be on the ball to get them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Guess who just chumped the Four Kings on his first try :smug:

edit: in fact, I didn't die at all in the New Londo Ruins. It's funny cuz I remember the first time I ran in there, I died three times to the first two ghosts you encounter (even after using the transient curse). This time around I hosed everyone's day up.

This just confirms what I've suspected since killing Sif: I am the monster now :unsmigghh:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 22, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who's going to launch the inevitable Souls megathread? Given that DeS has lost its online and DS1 is effectively starting over we may as well put all the Souls games in the one thread and scrap the rest, since there's been no new content since the Ringed City dlc

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

All of the separate threads seem active enough, is there a reason to do that? Even DeS thread receives occasional visitors who're either returning or playing for the first time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This thread probably should be remade since it's going on six years old now, but imo the threads for 2 and 3 don't need it. Maybe when they eventually die down the new thread can integrate them in.

edit: I think I said this a couple pages back but I'll make the new thread if nobody else has any plans. I was gonna wait a few more days though since the remaster is still a month off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

tbh it's pretty impressive that all five Soulsborne threads are still fairly active by themselves.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ulio posted:

Fully upgraded raw great club does insane dmg with high strength. You can just stunlock most non giant bosses with R1 spam and the tracking on the r1 is REALLY good. It has a bit of a homing to it.

If you have high strength, a +15 great club will deal waaaay more damage than a +5 raw one. Do not use raw on weapons that have high scaling.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I've made a few minor changes and re-uploaded the Sif video. Big change to the end though; I had the idea while making it and forgot by the time I was done, so I re-cut the ending today. Skip to about 4:40 or so to see the big edits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r2OCj81JdU

Edit: I beat Lord Gwyn! I put 2 and 2 and 2 together and said nope to kindling the first flame. Bring on the Age of Dark and hail your new king :unsmigghh: Also, I appreciate that the game drops you right back into the beginning immediately after credits roll. It felt nice sprinting to the Asylum Demon and 3-shotting him.

Gonna take a short Witcher 3 break because my friend bought me the deluxe edition or whatever a couple weeks ago, then get into DS2. I've heard a lot of bad things about Scholar of the First Sin, should I go out of my way to try and find the base/original DS2, maybe with DLC? Or should I just suck it up for SotFS?

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 23, 2018

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
DS2 vanilla and Scholar are both great, they're just different. I played DS2 vanilla as my first Souls game ever and had a great time, but I also really enjoyed playing SotFS later on. I'd say go with Scholar since it has all the DLC integrated and you won't know the difference anyway since you haven't played the original release.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Scholar is the best version of the game unless you're a wuss

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So Prepared to Die Again turned me into a parrying god by the time I cleared the undead burg, I think that's pretty loving cool. Parrying is so op

It's fascinating to me that parrying in this game is extremely similar to bloodborne's timing. I clowned poor Havel so hard, it felt surreal. It's way easier to nail consistently than it is in DS2 and DS3 imo, had I known earlier I would have 100 percent integrated it into my playstyle since my vanilla run

Anyways that's my story thanks for listening

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

They realized how OP parrying is and very intentionally made it harder in DS2 and 3, unless you're using one of the designated parrying tools. And it's still a bit of a trickier timing even with those and/or enemies have harder to parry animations in general.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo they should have made the parrying window on enemies be smaller instead of making the mechanic itself different, because DS2/3's parry still carries the same amount of danger as the first game's (that being mess up the timing = take damage and potentially be stunned), but now there's an extra layer of obfuscation to further make it not worth even trying if you have no experience with it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://twitter.com/fromsoftware_pr/status/988782256603910144

:c00l:

edit: The discount is 50% off, seems the game is going to retail for $40. You have no excuse not to buy Dark Souls Remastered for 20 bucks because that's peanuts!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It would have been nice as a free upgrade but I suppose Dark Souls has been $20 for a while and it's gone on sale for less than that frequently, so that's a pretty decent deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

CJacobs posted:

https://twitter.com/fromsoftware_pr/status/988782256603910144

:c00l:

edit: The discount is 50% off, seems the game is going to retail for $40. You have no excuse not to buy Dark Souls Remastered for 20 bucks because that's peanuts!

100% definitely sold now. I got DS1 for $5 on PC and it's felt like stealing.

• Locked thread