Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's entirely reaction times. hitscanners are awful as it is but blood's cultists are outright poo poo because there's no built-in hindering of their reaction times that's worth a drat like the other games tend to have.

I concur on the reaction time thing, and enemy behavior being key in general. I don't agree on the ol' total criticism of hitscanners myself, what would classic Doom be without the shotgun guy? If he fired rendered shots that are too fast to dodge, it'd effectively be the same right? And if they are slow enough to dodge, it'd be a different game. I don't mind the absence of hitscan, I just don't see why it's automatically considered bad, especially in the context of early FPS games.

But in general I like to play a bit fast and sloppy, so I don't mind if I'm taking some damage as long as the level is kind with health supplies.

Also, Ion Fury will rule!!! Everyone must buy Ion Fury. Also Wrath: Aeon of Ruin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The further I get into this "Pitchfork Start-Well Done" Blood playthrough, the more of an appreciation I have for the game. The arsenal in particular makes me want to kiss my fingers. There's a surprising number of weapons, and the implementation of alternate fire modes (I don't think I even knew what an alternate/secondary fire mode was in 1997) gives many of them even more utility. I also love the concept of combining rudimentary weapons like flare guns and aerosol cans with classics like shotguns and dynamite--and then throwing in some more weird stuff like voodoo dolls and the life leech. Plus the different damage types model is really interesting for a contemporary FPS: The idea that, in a Build Engine FPS game, some enemies were more vulnerable to certain weapons (and it was intended, not some weird anomaly like Octobrains getting OHK'ed by a single Devastator round) is still very cool to me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

Doom 3 - Doom 4

I mean, yeah... but also... ehhh

I think doom 3 has to canonically BE doom 3 :cheeky:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Doom 3 II.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
They should have just kept adding extra O's for each sequel. Would have made things less confusing in the long run.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
One of the most disappointing revelations in my entire life is finding out that DOOM is named after a scene from "The Color of Money" where Tom Cruise says the word, and when I watched the movie it turns out he literally just says the word. "Doom". Like he's saying "Broom" or "Door". It would have been much better if he had said, "Doooooooom" in a vocal fry until the sound just sort of...faded away.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

One of the most disappointing revelations in my entire life is finding out that DOOM is named after a scene from "The Color of Money" where Tom Cruise says the word, and when I watched the movie it turns out he literally just says the word. "Doom". Like he's saying "Broom" or "Door". It would have been much better if he had said, "Doooooooom" in a vocal fry until the sound just sort of...faded away.

https://soundcloud.com/oddmutant/thecolorofdomey/s-4BCaf

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Vakal posted:

They should have just kept adding extra O's for each sequel. Would have made things less confusing in the long run.
DoM

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You learn something new every day. I still haven't seen that, The Hustler is great though.

The fast and furious DoM was in movies with that guy from that Doom movie, how about that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The games should be named by according to how like Doom they are, so:

Doom
Doom
Do
Doo

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Its not like that scene inspired the game, it just gave them the idea for the word.

But yeah for how much it makes you excited to see the scene, I went and watched it and Tom Cruise's delivery is meh.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

64 is a strong number, I strongly believe this. Is this Doom or the Dewy Decimal system?

Doomy Decimal System :v:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I feel like I"m cheating when I quicksave in these games, but I also know there's now way I'd win if I didn't.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean, they gave you a save button. They designed the game with it there.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I feel like I"m cheating when I quicksave in these games, but I also know there's now way I'd win if I didn't.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em babey.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glagha posted:

I mean, they gave you a save button. They designed the game with it there.

Exactly, if they didn't want us to use quicksave+quickload at every opportunity why even put it in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah that's exactly how I feel.

I'm overall not crazy about games built around quicksave because if I do it all the time I feel like I'm cheating and savescumming, but then if I don't save often enough and die and end up having to just literally repeat 10 minutes of the same game, then that completely turns me off.

Constant auto-saving and "bloody screen" regeneration have their downfalls too, but they do address that issue. I'm honestly not sure what the best middle ground is, the ideal compromise.

I guess something like Bioshock's vita-chambers, where you can die and you respawn but the game keeps going and you don't have to repeat anything because you didn't actually load a save, that's pretty great.

And of course people hated that and screamed and yelled so much they had to patch it out. :haw: Gamers!

I've been playing Deus Ex again recently and wow, I have to save like every 10 seconds. STALKER too.

Angry_Ed posted:

Exactly, if they didn't want us to use quicksave+quickload at every opportunity why even put it in.

Even if its intended design, it can still be bad game feel though.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean, yeah... but also... ehhh

I think doom 3 has to canonically BE doom 3 :cheeky:

its canonically Doom 0, if we accept that timeline lore theory.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 15, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i only accept the books' lore as canon.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I remember quicksaving a bit too much in Deus Ex back in 2001 and completely running out of HD space :ohdear:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

i only accept the comic’s lore as canon.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
can i just say that I love that DUSK's hard mode is called fuckin "Cero Miedo"

someone at New Blood has good taste in Mexican wrestlers

e: if you don't get the reference with that difficulty name, watch this right the gently caress now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDR6tOXzt6Q

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Huh, I thought it just meant "zero fear". Didn't know that reference.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Negrostrike posted:

Huh, I thought it just meant "zero fear". Didn't know that reference.

yeah it's been Pentagon Jr's catchphrase for a few years now (to the point where when AAA told him to stop calling himself Pentagon Jr outside of their poo poo, he just started going by Penta El 0M, or "Penta El Cero Miedo")

it's sorta like if he'd named it "Know Your Role" or "Hulkamania Runnin' Wild On You Brother"

e: now I want an early FPS where all the difficulties are wrestling catchphrase references

JABRONI

2 SWEET

HULKAMANIAC

CERO MIEDO

OOOOOOHHHHH YEAAAAHHHHH

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 15, 2019

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
It's not how much you quicksave, but how much you quickload.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

loving yes

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh my god

wrestling-themed Doom gameplay mod: "Five Star Match"

level-agnostic, more similar to Demonsteele or HND than Reelism, but essentially turns Doomguy into a deathmatch wrestler. primary fire punches, secondary fire grabs. another secondary fire German suplexes whatever you grabbed, hurling it behind you for massive damage to it and whatever it hits (basically you'd get to go monster-bowling on slaughtermaps). direction + primary fire on a grab does different kinds of body slam, doing massive single-target damage and healing you. also, the levels are now scattered with a whole bunch of random junk that you can beat monsters with and throw at them for varying effects.

the difficulties are renamed as above.

i need to make this and i wish i was better at doom modding so i could just crank that poo poo out.

e: oh and of course there'd have to be a spear. just run forwards and secondary fire once you've built up enough momentum, and proceed to launch yourself through a crowd of monsters Goldberg-style, splattering small ones into gibs and knocking away/stunning big ones.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess something like Bioshock's vita-chambers, where you can die and you respawn but the game keeps going and you don't have to repeat anything because you didn't actually load a save, that's pretty great.

I didn't like Bioshock's reviving chambers at first, especially because at launch they were free. It felt jarring to be brought back from the dead for free in a hyperlibertarian capitalist dystopia. IIRC that got patched to take a portion of your in-hand money which was slightly more acceptable.

I'd like to see a system where they crib from Dark Souls a little. Have you drop your on-hand cash and ADAM when you die and you've got a limited amount of time to retrieve it. Meawhile Splicers will be attracted to it so you've got to fight through them before one of them runs off with your stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: if you don't get the reference with that difficulty name, watch this right the gently caress now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDR6tOXzt6Q

I too though it was just Spanish for "no fear" and didn't get the reference. Cool.

But man wrestling is so weird to me. Like, its "staged", and sometimes you choreograph moves so you make it look like you're hitting someone full-force but you're not really, you plan out how one of you will land on the other, etc.

But then you have some wrestlers who love to just slash each other's faces with jagged glass or body slam somebody into thumbtacks. That ain't fake. WWE has gotten away from bloody stuff so its more on the choreographed side I guess.

But its like, at a certain point I almost feel like wrestling is far more bloody than boxing, you know? Like something that wasn't "staged" would actually be safer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wild T posted:

I didn't like Bioshock's reviving chambers at first, especially because at launch they were free. It felt jarring to be brought back from the dead for free in a hyperlibertarian capitalist dystopia. IIRC that got patched to take a portion of your in-hand money which was slightly more acceptable.

I'd like to see a system where they crib from Dark Souls a little. Have you drop your on-hand cash and ADAM when you die and you've got a limited amount of time to retrieve it. Meawhile Splicers will be attracted to it so you've got to fight through them before one of them runs off with your stuff.

Yeah, something like dark souls is exactly what I'm thinking. Make dying more than just a "oops, wrong, pretend that never happened and do that again".

I liked the idea that the one Zombie Wii game had where when you died, you'd spawn an NPC who would have your stuff and you'd have to go kill that version of you as a zombie to get back your stuff from your past life. You could spawn a splicer of yourself that you'd then have to take out to get your money back.

But as much as I love Dark Souls, that style of death punishment may not be appropriate in all action games. But yeah, you could tweak how costly the punishment is. And "none of that stuff you just did mattered, try again" is itself a form of punishment for death.

I've also said this for awhile and I know it sounds pretty crazy, but I would love to see someone build an FPS where you can't die. If we aren't inserting quarters, the game doesn't necessarily even need to have death at all. Realism for realism's sake is dumb.

I could imagine a game like Bulletstorm, where you're invincible but you're trying to rack up points, and if you get shot then you lose your current points combo or something. Some mix of Doom and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.... I think there's potential there.

I mean, I guess playing Demonsteele with IDDQD isn't far off.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

I had some issues too. Non-episodic megawads become pretty tiresome if you got your whole arsenal by level 7 or 8 and never lose, while doing pistol starts with no saving is it's own brand of tiresome and it sucks the fun out of finding that elusive secret Plasma Gun or BFG.

Then I came up with a rule for myself that I ended up really enjoying:

You carry your weapons over to the next level, but you can no longer save or load that run. When you die, you have to pistol start that map, but you gain the ability to save and load again until the next map.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 15, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I feel zero shame in savescumming and think its insane that no hardsaves, checkpoints only has become the standard.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

But its like, at a certain point I almost feel like wrestling is far more bloody than boxing, you know? Like something that wasn't "staged" would actually be safer.

I once watched two wrestlers slam fluorescent bulbs over eachother's heads for like 10 minutes. It was the greatest.

Odd Mutant posted:

Then I came up with a rule for myself that I ended up really enjoying:

You carry your weapons over to the next level, but you can no longer save or load that run. When you die, you have to pistol start that map, but you gain the ability to save and load again until the next map.

I think this is how Civvie does his PRO DOOM run, and I think I'm gonna do a run like this once I'm done with Dusk and Amid Evil.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

While not an expert on wrestling, you can very much 'stage' a full contact confrontation. More or less.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think I have a pretty good control (or maybe just bad memory) and I don't savescum, saving only every 10-15 minutes or whatever. However I like having that freedom and flexibility of the system, and if I find a particular point notably hard I will save more there because I hate doing the same part repeatedly in video games. In fact, difficulty-wise, I don't have a problem with games that say 'the bar is up here, your skill has to reach it to advance in this point' but I hate games where the punishment for failing is 'go and repeat the last 10 minutes played!'. If I only have problem with the last fight (the last 60 seconds) why I have to repeat 9 extra minutes of play!! :black101:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I quicksave frequently. If I die at any point, I'll save right before reaching that point the next time around. Then if I clear that encounter, and I'm not sitting on like 6 health or a few bullets, I'll save again. I also save when I'm lost or if I return to something that seems like a hub area, again only in cases where my situation is particularly good.

Episode 2 of Dusk on Cero Miedo difficutly... I'm not often in particularly good situations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mordja posted:

I feel zero shame in savescumming and think its insane that no hardsaves, checkpoints only has become the standard.

Outside of the context of specifically Doom, I appreciate the effort it takes to design levels with checkpoints/save crystals/whatnot. Old PS1 sytle limited saving was unpleasant and made quicksaves on PC seem the better choice, but I've also seen what compulsive quicksaving does to immersion and difficulty.

There's an older game called Severance (that's really great and you should play it) that had a few interesting design decisions. Quicksaving was allowed, but each save file had an adjective next to it that went from praise down to mockery depending on how many saves per level you've been averaging. Some people really didn't like this and the fact that there's a popular mod to remove it speaks volumes. On my second playthough, out of curisoity, I decided to get the best rating (2 saves/level) and quickly found that the game got a lot more fun, and I only really needed 1 save/level despite levels normally taking hours to complete.

There's also WRATH: Aeon of Ruin coming out soon, and it looks like they treat quicksaves as a consumable resource (but unlimited checkpoint saves?), which is cool and good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Serephina posted:

There's an older game called Severance (that's really great and you should play it)

I played it and I don't remember that, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Zaphod42 posted:

But as much as I love Dark Souls, that style of death punishment may not be appropriate in all action games. But yeah, you could tweak how costly the punishment is. And "none of that stuff you just did mattered, try again" is itself a form of punishment for death.

Yeah, I was thinking something along the lines of being able to bank your cash and resources in a safe area, but what you've got on hand is vulnerable. Potentially with a multiplier that increases your rewards the larger the amount in your pocket to encourage you to weigh a tough fight if you've got a stuffed wallet.