Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I listened to a Bust Rodd post and turned always sprint on in Returnal and have tested myself off multiple ledges.

It's me the thing that's dragging a game down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I think the only vehicles I've enjoyed were FC5's airplanes, and that was only because they behaved like cartoonish RC planes. Like, I can't say no to a plane that I can jump in and do a vertical loop after my 50-foot takeoff roll, then land on the same runway without even approaching the end :getin:

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Len posted:

I listened to a Bust Rodd post and turned always sprint on in Returnal and have tested myself off multiple ledges.

It's me the thing that's dragging a game down

fuckin ARK does the same poo poo. you can level up your movement speed and if you get it up too high it makes your jumps carry you waaaaay too far and you'll end up overshooting everything

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What game tried and failed at making a relic popular again? Like whoever thought Duke Nukem's juvenile nature would have any legs in 2011?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What game tried and failed at making a relic popular again? Like whoever thought Duke Nukem's juvenile nature would have any legs in 2011?

Metroid Dread :v:

Sorry, I'm just still salty about sinking the full AAA price into a game I dropped pretty quickly for being too hard

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

in monster hunter world, monsters can't be finished off by cats or by most other monsters to prevent AI from killing a monster you actually wanted to capture. Their HP will just stay locked at 1 until a player hits them for the kill. for some reason monster hunter rise regressed on this, and in just a short time with the game I've already had my pets kill 4 monsters.

what makes me unsure whether this fact instead belongs in the sister thread is that it's actually completely realistic for a cat to not give a gently caress what you want, and it was pretty hilarious when my cat just coldly executed the monster you're supposed to capture in the baby tutorial

https://i.imgur.com/d62LeQP.mp4

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I actually think you could make a better Duke Nukem in 2022 than you could in 2011, because at this point we're in a state that we can take two angles and actually have something, whereas in 2011 we hadn't yet reached a point where we quite knew what to do with that sort of character.

1. Duke Nukem himself is just as juvenile and dated, but everyone else isn't, and the whole joke is how horribly out of touch he is. (Incidentally, this is also the only way to reboot Gex.)

2. Turn it around, Duke Nukem is now an example of extremely positive masculinity. He's a feminist, unashamedly approves of all manner of successful women, maybe has some kids that he absolutely adores. Basically, write him like Brooklyn Nine-Nine wrote Terry Crews' character, or like that one super positive Duke Nukem New Years' message.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think the only vehicles I've enjoyed were FC5's airplanes, and that was only because they behaved like cartoonish RC planes. Like, I can't say no to a plane that I can jump in and do a vertical loop after my 50-foot takeoff roll, then land on the same runway without even approaching the end :getin:

I can't guarantee that this will match your expectations, but there's exactly one vehicle in Far Cry 6 that I give a gently caress about.

E: spoilers for the map in FC6. If you don't want to know where this is, or other minor spoiler stuff on the FC6 map, don't look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ79bCzwTHQ

It flies, it floats, it's a helicopter hovercraft that slice and dices and prices and mices in a crisis. My go-to combo is this + the wingsuit, the magic parachute, and a painted up RPG to disable the anti-aircraft tower while I'm in mid-air toward it, so I only need to do that poo poo once.

bawk has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Jan 24, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

I can't guarantee that this will match your expectations, but there's exactly one vehicle in Far Cry 6 that I give a gently caress about.

E: spoilers for the map in FC6. If you don't want to know where this is, or other minor spoiler stuff on the FC6 map, don't look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ79bCzwTHQ

It flies, it floats, it's a helicopter hovercraft that slice and dices and prices and mices in a crisis. My go-to combo is this + the wingsuit, the magic parachute, and a painted up RPG to disable the anti-aircraft tower while I'm in mid-air toward it, so I only need to do that poo poo once.

:tipshat:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FC6 directs you in such a weird way to get you to do stuff like "steal a tank" "steal a plane" or "not go to the loving mountain outpost that overlooks a good portion of the southeast side of the map" that I don't understand the game design process. You should have a rocket launcher or grenade launcher to swap in as weapon 3 at all times to casually blow up an anti-air radar, so you can just glide across the whole map.

Your slot 2 should always be an EMP grenade rocket launcher so you can get rid of those annoying things called "helicopters"

Your slot 1 should always be an anti-material rifle with a big-rear end scope to point at people looking at Chorizo.

Thankfully, it has a sidearm slot for the silenced SMG that has a scope good enough to still kill with headshots.

E: and before anybody confuses my message, I am a 100% Stealth Playthrough person when I can (it counts as stealth if the alarms don't work and nobody talks afterward)

bawk has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Jan 24, 2022

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sunk-cost. At that point they just wanted to get the game out, regardless of little things like 'quality' or 'Duke being appropriate for the modern era'.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Duke Nukem Forever was an industry joke at that point, and basically anyone getting it out was promised at least adequate sales no matter what actually was in that game. So Gearbox bought a liquidation sale write off, polished it just enough to make it boot up and be theoretically complete, and pushed it out the door to get the meme sales.

At no point was it wondered should this actually happen or not.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The xiii remake lol

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Cleretic posted:

I actually think you could make a better Duke Nukem in 2022 than you could in 2011, because at this point we're in a state that we can take two angles and actually have something, whereas in 2011 we hadn't yet reached a point where we quite knew what to do with that sort of character.

1. Duke Nukem himself is just as juvenile and dated, but everyone else isn't, and the whole joke is how horribly out of touch he is. (Incidentally, this is also the only way to reboot Gex.)

2. Turn it around, Duke Nukem is now an example of extremely positive masculinity. He's a feminist, unashamedly approves of all manner of successful women, maybe has some kids that he absolutely adores. Basically, write him like Brooklyn Nine-Nine wrote Terry Crews' character, or like that one super positive Duke Nukem New Years' message.

Or go the Peacemaker route where he’s still a misogynistic shithead but it’s as a result of an abusive childhood and is a horribly broken person who lives in a trailer and is best friends with a trained bald Eagle

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
duke nukem but a woman

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kennel posted:

duke nukem but a woman

They tried that, sadly the devs were transphobes etc. so people rightly avoided it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think there's a script where you could unfreeze Duke Nukem from the 90s and write a fish-out-of-water story as he comedically adjusts to living in the 2020s, like an Austin Powers or Demolition Man. But you'd have to be funny and incisive about it, which I wouldn't trust many game writers to do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't blame them for the tutorial being a mess because I also don't know how I would unclutter it and make it streamlined either but boy is Monster Hunter world a lot.

But on the other hand I was watching a stream of someone trying MH:Rise for the first time and someone mentioned the Hunter Notes so I took a look at mine and wow the Charge Blade seems a lot less complicated to use when you look at everything laid out like a Dynasty Warriors combo with recommendations of what combos into what

I would never look at the Hunter Notes otherwise, that's like the third list on the menu that I'd never bother with

exquisite tea posted:

I think there's a script where you could unfreeze Duke Nukem from the 90s and write a fish-out-of-water story as he comedically adjusts to living in the 2020s, like an Austin Powers or Demolition Man. But you'd have to be funny and incisive about it, which I wouldn't trust many game writers to do.

Just copy another game and pair him with someone who has his poo poo together and let that carry the story. Make it like Hank and Connor from Detroit: Become Human or Harry and Kim from Disco Elysium.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Just have Duke Nukem do his regular stuff, quoting 80s movies and going Awooga at strippers. It'd have a retro charm to it at this point

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
been playing jedi dark souls or whatever its called and while there is an intriguing game here there are just so many issues that make uninstalling it much more desirable. Not only are the cutscenes just by-the-numbers star wars schlock but they are long and unskippable. The levels are just uninspired videogame poo poo. This is a jumping area! This next area is a wall running area, etc etc. No location in the game looks like any sort of place anyone would have ever spent time at. TBH it all reminds me of the PS2-era Jengo Fett game.

There are lightsaber "upgrades" you can collect by discovering secret areas and so on, but, the upgrades don't actually do poo poo beyond very insignificant visual changes to the lightsaber itself. I would have been happier if the game hadn't wasted my time at all loving around with the lightsaber handle.

Also the enemies are all storm troopers or stupid starwars aliens rendered in the most uninspiring context possible. I will say the game looks pretty and the faces and characters are well animated, but there is just no vision or point to playing the thing

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

2house2fly posted:

Just have Duke Nukem do his regular stuff, quoting 80s movies and going Awooga at strippers. It'd have a retro charm to it at this point

Can we still keep the fact that he unashamedly watches Oprah from the 2D games? I feel like that's an understated yet important part of his character.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Duke Nukem has a shirt that says "this is what a feminist looks like" but he rips it off and plays with his nipple rings and strippers dance around him.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hel posted:

They tried that, sadly the devs were transphobes etc. so people rightly avoided it.

Kennel posted:

duke nukem but a woman

They tried twice
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombshell_(video_game)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Woke Nukem.
They did that thing with the Bulletstorm remake where they inserted Duke into the campaign and that worked pretty well, but Bulletstorm also had a good grip of middle school humour, and Duke/Gray was pretty explicitly a gently caress up that everyone constantly dunked on and who had some character growth

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

I doubt anyone in the games industry has the deftness for number 1, and option 2 has already been done by Mr Torgue in one of the Borderlands 2 DLC’s. though I think the devs meant it to be sarcastic/bombastic, the voice actor comes across as super sincere about the dialog and it was great.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The zealots in AssCreed: Valhalla are really annoying. Enemies with huge healthbars, impenetrable shields who spams unblockable combos are no fun to fight. Luckily I made a smart decision earlier in the game that means that I have to actually piss them off to make them fight me.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Alhazred posted:

The zealots in AssCreed: Valhalla are really annoying. Enemies with huge healthbars, impenetrable shields who spams unblockable combos are no fun to fight. Luckily I made a smart decision earlier in the game that means that I have to actually piss them off to make them fight me.

What was the decision?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RareAcumen posted:

I don't blame them for the tutorial being a mess because I also don't know how I would unclutter it and make it streamlined either but boy is Monster Hunter world a lot.

But on the other hand I was watching a stream of someone trying MH:Rise for the first time and someone mentioned the Hunter Notes so I took a look at mine and wow the Charge Blade seems a lot less complicated to use when you look at everything laid out like a Dynasty Warriors combo with recommendations of what combos into what

I would never look at the Hunter Notes otherwise, that's like the third list on the menu that I'd never bother with

Edit: wait wrong weapon. Ugh.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What game tried and failed at making a relic popular again?

The Syndicate FPS, I think

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Philippe posted:

The Syndicate FPS, I think

The stupid thing was that it wasn't objectively bad, it was just completely forgettable. Almost all power-ups were basically +1 to rear end scratching or +2 to grouching speed in a game setting where previously you went from spec op with uzi to mind-altering god of death firing ball bearings at relativistic speeds while leveling city blocks at will.

Deus Ex ate the lunch they were after, and had much more interesting story.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Woke Nukem.
They did that thing with the Bulletstorm remake where they inserted Duke into the campaign and that worked pretty well, but Bulletstorm also had a good grip of middle school humour, and Duke/Gray was pretty explicitly a gently caress up that everyone constantly dunked on and who had some character growth

Then they took it behind the shed and put it down because Randy Pitchford wanted $60 for a 5 year old game with a new audio track.

Bulletstorm should've been a franchise.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

+1 to rear end scratching or +2 to grouching speed

I would take either one of those irl

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

What was the decision?

I didn't kill Leofrith. Apparently, if you spare him he tells you where the kill order for the zealots is. You can then burn it, which stops the zealots from actively hunting you.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Valhalla is far worse than the AC1 with the repetition. There are 21 regions, and 19 of them have to be taken over with an individual story arc. The same story every time.

I gave up 20 hours in, but apparanetly theres a moment at the end where your allies gather for the big climax, like the Witcher or Mass Effect, so it would be rewarding to see them together. Only most players had completely forgotten who any of these characters were since the narrative is so scattered.

As discussed numerous times before on this thread, the 2 optional arcs set in Asgard and Jotunheim are notorious for being complete poo poo.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Hygiene posted:

The planes were nuts because you couldn't even hide from the mandatory " drug you and kidnap you " events in them. You'd get shot with a bliss arrow somehow, crash ,then wake up at the beginning of the scripted kidnapping mission. I really hope they don't have those missions in 6.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The planes were nuts because you couldn't even hide from the mandatory " drug you and kidnap you " events in them. You'd get shot with a bliss arrow somehow, crash ,then wake up at the beginning of the scripted kidnapping mission. I really hope they don't have those missions in 6.

6 doesn't abuse them like 5 does. it only happens once and it's just a small plot bump.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Alhazred posted:

Between Slow Time on dodge and the ranged ability that throws a dog at them they weren't any trouble. Granted they sucked without those two options but they are entirely cheesable.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm playing Vampire's Kiss/Dracula X to finish up the Castlevania Advance collection they inexplicably put it on, and I think the game might be literally impossible. It's not; I've managed to get just a tiny bit farther in most of my play sessions so far, but it feels like a insane slog to even get these few platforms of progress before you inevitably game over and have to do all the poo poo beforehand again. I could just save state through it, but I don't want to.

Concretely, I'm in Stage 6, and there's an absolutely stupid room with falling rocks you have to platform over and back again a little higher, a task that would be a no-brainer in a game where platforming was even the tiniest bit smooth or responsive, but this is not such a game. You have classic Castlevania air control (i.e. none), you are absolutely expected to kind of clip onto the rocks, it's impossible to predict when you'll actually do it, and sometimes you just slip off. Bats spawn constantly from the side and on your level, so you will have to contest with one during the platforming, but it's never quite consistent unless you are 100% consistent yourself, either way you'll have to be absolutely perfect at whipping them out of the air while you're in mid-jump because the rocks demand you never stop moving. Then after the trip back, there's an enemy after the rock section on a high platform which can pull out an attack with such a massive hitbox that you, to the best of my knowledge, cannot hope to dodge on the tiny strip of platform available to you whatsoever. Best I can do - except hope he plain doesn't do it - is crouch down which sometimes only makes you take damage, but doesn't fling you back into the rock zone because that attack also has crazy knockback. Except that also doesn't work 100% of the time. I'm at a total loss what the game even wants from me there.

I HAVE passed that obstacle - through what feels like plain luck every time - but the level relentlessly continue with screen after screen of instant death and enemies that spawn in out of nowhere to keep knocking you into pits, with my current best run ending on another short platform with death behind me, on which an axe knight appeared, immediately upon spawning charged towards me and gave me zero chance to react. I managed to tank through that but it's a super version of the enemy that immediately turned around and hosed me up before I could kill it.

Final nail in my coffin of hope to ever beat this through sheer practice? The falling rocks do not even have a consistent pattern. Sometimes they're staggered, sometimes they all fall at the same time. This game is insane. I've beaten the utter garbage and unfair Castlevania Adventure on Game Boy, but that was at least consistent all the way through. Vampire's Kiss is a random mess of bullshit.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Duke Nukem has a shirt that says "this is what a feminist looks like" but he rips it off and plays with his nipple rings and strippers dance around him.

Duke is back and now they're non-binary and are living their best life on onlyfans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just copy Johnny's story from mk11 and have it be a time travelling young Duke and an older wiser Duke who has to sigh and deal with him