Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The fluid combos with weird timing and the ability to cancel combos reminds me of Fume Knight. Except I have died to this boss more times than I have ever died to fume knight that's really not a good thing. I don't think dancer is as hard as fume knight, is it? I'm just poo poo

I started this playthrough 4 years ago jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

War Wizard posted:

There's also DS2 callbacks, so if you want the max effectiveness I'd say do it all in order. But DS1 gets you to the softcap for sure.

I actually kinda forgot that there were some ds2 callbacks so you may be right.for sure. I still have a lot of game left but I am going to have to think about it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sanctum posted:

The fluid combos with weird timing and the ability to cancel combos reminds me of Fume Knight. Except I have died to this boss more times than I have ever died to fume knight that's really not a good thing. I don't think dancer is as hard as fume knight, is it? I'm just poo poo

Every boss should be more like Fume Knight, he was an inspiration to us all

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

Sanctum posted:

Dancer is the ultimate twink-stopper. Every time I make a new fashion souls build for low level play, she is the true tester of my ideas. Her erratic grab-attack has given me PTSD. I've noticed that the boss' AI is pretty clever, it waits for you to go first, then reacts. Usually when you are using items or casting spells, and if whatever you are doing eats your stamina, you can end up taking heavy punishment rather quickly, unless you dodge asap. Like, she can cross a wide area with lightning speed the moment you try to toss a spell, thus making each caster fight against her a battle between two glass cannons. And she tends to be quicker.

It's completely fine to die to Dancer. Seriously. She has killed me more often than all the other bosses combined.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sanctum posted:

I got very, very lucky last night. My first time meeting Dancer and we traded killing blows on each other. Fume Knight on the other hand, good lord he stopped me in my tracks.

I think it is part of the beauty of the Dark Souls games how all bosses can be easy or difficult based entirely on how you are playing, how you are feeling and how you thinking. Easy for one is tough for another and vice versa. I love hearing everyone have their differing moments!

Also I somehow survive a lot with 0 health because of my inability to remember to look at my health bar and heal.

My health bar is not empty, despite what that picture shows and I do go on to beat the boss somehow in that try. :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
All you need is 1 hp to stay alive! (:ohdear: that's intense)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sanctum posted:

Dancer is one of the few bosses who really synergizes well with how much you can spam rolls, it's fun.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

VideoGames posted:

I got very, very lucky last night. My first time meeting Dancer and we traded killing blows on each other. Fume Knight on the other hand, good lord he stopped me in my tracks.

I think it is part of the beauty of the Dark Souls games how all bosses can be easy or difficult based entirely on how you are playing, how you are feeling and how you thinking. Easy for one is tough for another and vice versa. I love hearing everyone have their differing moments!

Also I somehow survive a lot with 0 health because of my inability to remember to look at my health bar and heal.

My health bar is not empty, despite what that picture shows and I do go on to beat the boss somehow in that try. :)

:magical: Is there a replay of this in it's entirety, somewhere?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I almost dark soulsed dancer early on but I didn't quite so I had to die a whole lot to get that last sliver of health. My new strategy was to just bop it and let it do it's thing, which is a terrible idea when the grab attack will kill you from full health. Dancer seems to toy with you, but I found out I could bone out with my souls so I took those aldrich souls from my recurring bloodstain in the boss room and leveled my vigor 3 times and that helped.

Snowfield is the furthest bonfire I have so I went there next. Killed a bunch of icemen and wolves and weird crawly things, met some weird lady telling me I was in the Painted World of Whateverest and I got the sense this was some DLC stuff for later so I warped out as she recommended. I went back to the dancer boss chamber and found a new path there, encountered some really hard enemies that were too hard to fight so I ran past them and now I'm in Irithyll Castle which must mean that those really hard enemies that were a lot scarier than the stuff in snowfield are part of the main game?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Goatson posted:

:magical: Is there a replay of this in it's entirety, somewhere?

There is! I have streamed my entire Dark Souls 1 - 2 - 3 journey and currently all of 3 and I think most of 2 (maybe all of 2) are still there.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/986178345?t=03h44m59s

I think this link goes right to that fight :)

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Sanctum posted:

I almost dark soulsed dancer early on but I didn't quite so I had to die a whole lot to get that last sliver of health. My new strategy was to just bop it and let it do it's thing, which is a terrible idea when the grab attack will kill you from full health. Dancer seems to toy with you, but I found out I could bone out with my souls so I took those aldrich souls from my recurring bloodstain in the boss room and leveled my vigor 3 times and that helped.

Snowfield is the furthest bonfire I have so I went there next. Killed a bunch of icemen and wolves and weird crawly things, met some weird lady telling me I was in the Painted World of Whateverest and I got the sense this was some DLC stuff for later so I warped out as she recommended. I went back to the dancer boss chamber and found a new path there, encountered some really hard enemies that were too hard to fight so I ran past them and now I'm in Irithyll Castle which must mean that those really hard enemies that were a lot scarier than the stuff in snowfield are part of the main game?

Lothric Castle is where the road leads after Dancer, however, there's a road left after the dancer bonfire that leads to an optional area, which is worth exploring imo. Snowfield and Painted world belong to dlc.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I’m playing a new run from scratch as split int/faith while obviously still needing to dump stats into str/dex and my god have I made this game HARD for myself. If I’d gone for str/dex build again as usual I’d have finished by now but this is...not a good build for your sanity.

I’m started with deprived and now at something like 23 Int / 35 Faith 19/str & dex and obviously because of that my health and endurance are hilariously low peewee levels, like 13 or something. I’ve just beaten Aldrich and pretty much now every enemy other than a random hollow will one shot me. It took me like 30 tries to get that lizard dog by the Aldrich covenant (weirdly I got one of them first try) because I cannot make a single mistake. This can also be a bit embarrassing when I’m summoned and I get instakilled not paying 100% attention in a boss fight. Sorry!

That said, despite nearly everything being able to kill me immediately there are now some enemies that are usually trouble I have zero issue with because I can just spook myself up and gnaw them from a big distance. The ability to do big great heals and aoe buffs while as a summon for others is good fun and saving others with well timed soul arrows and such. Argh I love this game.

This is causing me pain watching VG’s stream as I can barely abate my contempt at seeing him one shot bosses. SUFFERING IS NEEDED

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Sanctum posted:

dancer hates dark damage. there's a few weapons you can grab that already have dark infused. give one of them a shot, might help.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The Dark battle axe from the mimic on the High Wall is a weapon that can take you through most of the early-mid game.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Doctor Nutt posted:

I actually kinda forgot that there were some ds2 callbacks so you may be right.for sure. I still have a lot of game left but I am going to have to think about it

The DS2 callbacks are really more for the sake of politeness than anything super meaningful- DS3 is intended more as a replacement than a sequel to DS2.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sum Gai posted:

The DS2 callbacks are really more for the sake of politeness than anything super meaningful- DS3 is intended more as a replacement than a sequel to DS2.

I remember a couple things, maybe some armors and the giant being really reminiscent of the giant in ds2. Not sure if there's anything beyond that.

E: since I have played them all and 2 is my fave, I think I'll go straight to 3 and save 2 for dessert. I already have a 3 playthrough that's up to just past abyss watchers, so I can skip the really early game and jump right into the fun poo poo.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

laddersmith gilligan's corpse is next to a bonfire in profaned capital and that is Canon

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

World War Mammories posted:

laddersmith gilligan's corpse is next to a bonfire in profaned capital and that is Canon

Poor Gilligan. The ignominy of having his corpse provide you with a ‘spread out!’ gesture.

Incidentally big props to FromSoft for being like the only developers I can think of for having actual Irish people do Irish accents in games. Three characters no less! Bear seek seek lest.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I'm sure glad my character has the minimum INT to cast fall control, it's been very helpful for getting around Lothric Castle. Found the boss on the sidepath with the baby crying, I think I'll come back to him when I get a weapon to +9. Now that the game is throwing embers at me I realize that unhollowing will buff your HP. Crap, I've been hollow the entire game I must've missed out on some NPC invaders with item drops.

Did a lot of backtracking and found tons of stuff I missed like sublime bone dust and the estus ring and 3 bonfires I missed, I wonder what other important early items I'm missing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Aidan_702 posted:

This is causing me pain watching VG’s stream as I can barely abate my contempt at seeing him one shot bosses. SUFFERING IS NEEDED

Hahaha I am certain Sekiro will put an end to this! Plus I still have the DLC and whatever is left of the main game :) Darklurker, Aava, and the Royal Rat Authority stomped me for a while back in the DS2 days!

Never fear, you will have your revenge.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I was complaining about being a split int/faith apparently forgetting that pyromancy has genuine utility. Say hello to the great chaos fire orb with the witch’s ring, which apparently absolutely melts everything in the game. The three knights at the cathedral bonfire (aka the farming zone) only take two hits to be incinerated. Got like 400k souls very very quickly. I’m still wearing solaire’s armour and rocking the Astoria straight sword. I’m a holy man through and through except when I’m burning people to death

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Aidan_702 posted:

I was complaining about being a split int/faith apparently forgetting that pyromancy has genuine utility. Say hello to the great chaos fire orb with the witch’s ring, which apparently absolutely melts everything in the game. The three knights at the cathedral bonfire (aka the farming zone) only take two hits to be incinerated. Got like 400k souls very very quickly. I’m still wearing solaire’s armour and rocking the Astoria straight sword. I’m a holy man through and through except when I’m burning people to death

Pyromancer's also use the crystal chime and most dark casting tools very well. Plus being able to cast Hidden Body gets you where you need to go hassle free. Good luck with the DLC dragon boss though. Nothing you do will work.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

War Wizard posted:

Pyromancer's also use the crystal chime and most dark casting tools very well. Plus being able to cast Hidden Body gets you where you need to go hassle free. Good luck with the DLC dragon boss though. Nothing you do will work.

All good advice - I literally just got the Crystal chime so I’ll look at that. I have a lot of spells now and mostly forget about all their uses. I am NOT looking forward to midir or the two demons with this - my melee damage is still pretty low. Does the pestilent mist trick still work with midir?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Aidan_702 posted:

Does the pestilent mist trick still work with midir?

It's pretty much your only option. I just summoned someone who clearly knew what they were doing, used pestilent mist, and chucked +10 Raw follower javelins at his face. Javelins did around the same amount of damage as my spells for half the FP.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

World War Mammories posted:

sounds like he should play sekiro

This happened a year or so before Sekiro and he did actually. It's one of his favorites.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I thought the pontiff knight curved sword looked good for my dex/int assassin guy, so I put all my twinkling into it and made it +3, and it's a little faster than my +6 uchigatana but the uchi still puts out more damage. Any opinions?

I've also got this shotel and great scythe that both look tempting.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
curved swords are sick and pkcs is one of the best. however, IMO any good build should try to upgrade more than one weapon for variety and flexibility

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 16, 2021

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I have Vordt's hammer and Gael's Greatsword and while I like the mobility and movement with the latter, it's hard to give up the smashy smashy

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
After beating the Demon Prince I saw some messages saying "looks familiar" regarding the exit you take to Ringed City. What are they referencing?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

snoremac posted:

After beating the Demon Prince I saw some messages saying "looks familiar" regarding the exit you take to Ringed City. What are they referencing?

it's the room Frampt is in from DS1

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I found Aldrich, and I was intimidated at first because I'd heard a lot of people talking about how hard he was, but I managed to beat him on the first try by just punching the poo poo out of his grub rear end. Then the dancer handed me my rear end repeatedly until I finally managed to punch her taint into submission too. Took 2 tries to beat Oceiros, then I strolled all cocky n poo poo into Champion Gundyr who is now ruthlessly and repeatedly owning me lol

Didn't know the tutorial boss had this in him. That loving kick gets me literally every time

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I just finished a replay after a few years and Champion Gundyr was easily the hardest after NK and the last boss in the first DLC. So ferocious. The gaps where you get to choose between estus and attacking are so tight.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Hes a sucker for parries.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I gave up on parries as early as the high wall when I couldn't for the life of me time them right against basic hollows.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
basic hollows are hard to time parries against in all 3 souls games because their attacks are mostly weirdly slow, but also not that consistent. (they're also not really worth learning parry timings on because they die in like 1 or 2 r1s.)

ds1 torch hollow running attack :siren:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I found Aldrich, and I was intimidated at first because I'd heard a lot of people talking about how hard he was, but I managed to beat him on the first try by just punching the poo poo out of his grub rear end. Then the dancer handed me my rear end repeatedly until I finally managed to punch her taint into submission too. Took 2 tries to beat Oceiros, then I strolled all cocky n poo poo into Champion Gundyr who is now ruthlessly and repeatedly owning me lol

Didn't know the tutorial boss had this in him. That loving kick gets me literally every time

IIRC that kick is literally impossible to dodge on reaction, you just have to sit around at a safe distance and find out whether he follows his combo up with it or not.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Got to the last DLC1 boss.
Wow. Just wow. I thought NK couldn't be topped, and here we are. Too bad I always have to kill all these beautiful souls!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So out of curiosity, what’s the “best” way to run a pyromancer in this game? I’m guessing something like a raw straight sword you eventually convert to a dark one for the scaling, and just beeline to Great Chaos Fire Orb/Chaos Vestiges? I’ve been just hacking away with a raw hand axe and was feeling kinda underwhelmed until Chaos Bed Vestiges tore the doggo guarding Ithryil to shreds.

countbarbarus
Sep 5, 2018
Does a Heavy Saint Bident with STR/FAI work well for PvE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

Last Celebration posted:

So out of curiosity, what’s the “best” way to run a pyromancer in this game? I’m guessing something like a raw straight sword you eventually convert to a dark one for the scaling, and just beeline to Great Chaos Fire Orb/Chaos Vestiges? I’ve been just hacking away with a raw hand axe and was feeling kinda underwhelmed until Chaos Bed Vestiges tore the doggo guarding Ithryil to shreds.

I have no idea what the best way would be and my perception is twisted by doing way too much pvp and invasions. I run my pyro as a close melee combatant. Spam black flame, boulder heave for stuns, black serpent for staggers. Rest is traditional r1 spam with whatever weapon you happen to have. Orbs never catch anyone so I avoid those, tho bed vestiges is great because of how huge and hard hitting it is.

There are few limits in pve, and plenty of options so it's mostly trial and error. My only hot takes are that profaned flame is utterly useless and that sacred flame is not worth it.

countbarbarus posted:

Does a Heavy Saint Bident with STR/FAI work well for PvE?

If used with a buff such as lightning blade, or darkmoon blade it should hit very hard, so yes.