Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DrPossum posted:

I appreciated 4e recognized that problem and did things to make it more even, and I also appreciated the attempt to make positioning etc important, but combat was just a slog with everything you had to keep track of for pen and paper.

Didn't 5e give more combat options to melee characters? I saw that as a better compromise but not a total regression

5e is the perfect edition of d&d. if you make a fighter without some cool magic powers in 5th edition that's your fault. anyone can have some magic tricks, and the fighter is doing way more damage than the wizard every single round.

i think too many people were traumatized by 3rd edition. It not like that any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
As someone who loves to run around and press different buttons, I give the Halo: Infinite campaign a 10/10.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Rutibex posted:

5e is the perfect edition of d&d. if you make a fighter without some cool magic powers in 5th edition that's your fault. anyone can have some magic tricks, and the fighter is doing way more damage than the wizard every single round.

i think too many people were traumatized by 3rd edition. It not like that any more.

Yeah idk maybe I'm not playing with smart people but every go around I've had with 5e has included all but the most basic fighters dump trucking things and doing neat stuff without getting overshadowed by the full casters

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

pretty soft girl posted:

Yeah idk maybe I'm not playing with smart people but every go around I've had with 5e has included all but the most basic fighters dump trucking things and doing neat stuff without getting overshadowed by the full casters

Balance is bit better in 5th, when it comes to damage numbers.

It is just that Wizards can choose to change the fundamentals of the encounters.

My best wizarding moment in 5th edition was in a Ravenloft-module, where we faced Baba Yaga and her Chicken hut.
Or we would have, except Baba Yaga needed a swift action to awaken the hut in dramatic fashion.
I paralyzed her before her first turn and rest of the group took down the helpless granny before she could recover.

We finished that campaign and I probably didn't do any damage during that campaign after the initial wolf encounter.
Just casting grease, webs, counter-spells, Paralyze to make encounters really easier.
Also turning into a T-Rex for the final encounter.
And some raising dead for thematical purposes. the Zombies were mostly useless

Issaries fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 3, 2022

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

lobsterminator posted:

I feel like the combat in any tabletop RPG has always been the least important part. I haven't played in ages, but the things that stick in my mind are not combat scenarios but fun interactions and discussions.

But computers are stupid the combat takes the most important role in RPGs. I hate the realtime combat in Infinity Engine games. Turn based combat is a lot more fun.

I enjoyed Pillars of Eternity 2 a lot more than 1 simply because they introduced turn based combat.

I've said it many times in this thread and I will say it many more: real time with pause is legit, unironically, one of THE worst things to ever happen to computer gaming

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

fridge corn posted:

An old school pixel demake of ff14 would own so hard

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

50 x 100 pixels? How can I fit a party of four into my 14" screen at that size?
edit: Also looks pretty sweet as smaller version.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rutibex posted:

oh my god you 4th edition freaks never stop. 4th edition isn't even a role-playing game it's Heroclix. it takes 10 hours to fight a bandit attack. what a terrible system

you either never played the game or are extremely bad at it. 4th edition is the only good D&D.

DrPossum posted:

Didn't 5e give more combat options to melee characters? I saw that as a better compromise but not a total regression

no, 5e explicitly touted how it took them all away unless you were a caster

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Rutibex posted:

oh my god you 4th edition freaks never stop. 4th edition isn't even a role-playing game it's Heroclix. it takes 10 hours to fight a bandit attack. what a terrible system

I always felt 4e was a pretty good board game but whenever we had new players who hadn't touched a ttrpg before they always seemed to get overwhelmed by how many options there were to choose from. It was also definitely slow as hell for the average group

5e has been a lot more intuitive for new players to grasp in my experience and that's kind of valuable in getting people on board who want to play D&D and trying to steer a group to a different system is out of the question. That's a problem with D&D being synonymous with TTRPGs as a whole but if that's how it's going to be, having the option of setting someone who has zero incoming knowledge up with a champion fighter who will still be a solid contributor is nice

Also I would like to take this opportunity to dunk on pathfinder 2e for making the process of rolling up a basic rear end fighter surprisingly confusing, idk if that's changed since I last looked at it but it didn't leave a good impression

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

4e had a lot of good ideas, but they really dropped the ball with the combat system... down a deep well in the underdark. I've heard multiple people stealing 4e stuff and putting it into 5e to great success. Like for example skill challenges.

3.5 had cooler fluff for tieflings and aasimars though. Actual fiendish heritage, not some lame racial punishment curse or whatever. :colbert:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Rutibex posted:

this is why I can't bring myself to play those final fantasy mmorpgs. a final fantasy game should give me a whole party, one character is boring! :colbert:

Although Lightning Returns is one of my favourite FF games, having a party is important and I’m really happy with the system they have in FFVIIR.

I’m trying to see if I can play FFXII like that, or if I should give in and just use gambits.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

you either never played the game or are extremely bad at it. 4th edition is the only good D&D.

no, 5e explicitly touted how it took them all away unless you were a caster

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poil posted:

3.5 had cooler fluff for tieflings and aasimars though. Actual fiendish heritage, not some lame racial punishment curse or whatever. :colbert:

3.5 had tons of super interesting races that were unplayable because of the level adjustment system. That's the best aspect of 5e, they let you play as a vampire or a fairy or a slimeman from level 1

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Rutibex posted:

3.5 had tons of super interesting races that were unplayable because of the level adjustment system. That's the best aspect of 5e, they let you play as a vampire or a fairy or a slimeman from level 1

I wish Variant Human wasn't required to get certain builds going. I should pester my GM to scrap vhuman and add a free level 1 feat for every race so I'm not stuck being the same boring clod that I am in real life

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Oh yes, absolutely. It took so long before they realized something as simple as letting more powerful abilities/spells unlock after a few levels.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I miss old Sierra games.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vakal posted:

I miss old Sierra games.

Not familiar with this Warhol painting

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

jokes posted:

Not familiar with this Warhol painting

I think those are NFT’s.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

They're way too well done and imaginative for that

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vakal posted:

I miss old Sierra games.

Yes yes no yes

Yes no no no

No yes no yes

No yes no no

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I tried Team Fight Tactics thinking "I like auto battlers surely this super popular one isn't poo poo" and yet it was poo poo. Like the things they added to the game make the game worse (dumb carousal, loot on the ground that I need to interact with to pick up, two games is enough to identify these as bad) . The UI is garbage. The readability of the characters is garbage. The launcher is garbage. All and all garbage all around. Oh and the company is garbage let's not neglect that.

gently caress idiots play good games instead of bad ones so I have people to play with. It's an issue, what with idiots gravitating towards bad to ehh okay I guess games leaving actual good games devoid of population.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Duck and Cover posted:

I tried Team Fight Tactics thinking "I like auto battlers surely this super popular one isn't poo poo" and yet it was poo poo. Like the things they added to the game make the game worse (dumb carousal, item building, loot on the ground that I need to interact with to pick up, two games is enough to identify these as bad) . The UI is garbage. The readability of the characters is garbage. The launcher is garbage. All and all garbage all around. Oh and the company is garbage let's not neglect that.

gently caress idiots play good games instead of bad ones so I have people to play with. It's an issue, what with idiots gravitating towards bad to ehh okay I guess games leaving actual good games devoid of population.

What are some good games you wanna play that don't have enough people?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Meme Poker Party posted:

Fortnite and Apex Legends.

Unrelated, I really want a proper remake of the forgotten classic Mordor: Depths of Dejenol. I loved that loving game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Those PS2 LOTR games deserve a redo, those were fantastic

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

syntaxfunction posted:

Fortnite and Apex Legends.

Pretty sure both those games have lot's of players, OP. I suggest checking your internet connection!!!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Meme Poker Party posted:

Pretty sure both those games have lot's of players, OP. I suggest checking your internet connection!!!

Every time I join a game everyone leaves saying I smell :(

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

What happened? What kind of monster changed your avatar?

There were games I would have tried that were probably fun that couldn't compete with Overwatch. I actually enjoyed Dota Underlords but that got destroyed by Team Fight Tactics and Hearthstones auto battler. I think Heroes of Newerth might have been better than Dota but I abandoned ship because I was pretty confident that it wasn't going to last. I like longevity in my games and I just don't expect it unless it's a success backed up by tons of marketing and a huge company. I think these huge games just gobble up so much market share it's hard for anything else to exist.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 4, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chemtrailologist posted:

As someone who loves to run around and press different buttons, I give the Halo: Infinite campaign a 10/10.

More like Hella Unfunite

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Duck and Cover posted:

What happened? What kind of monster changed your avatar?

All things change in time, friend. I was offered the special chance for a coveted extra-tall AV and took it. I will be forever grateful to my mysterious benefactor for what was truly a legendary AV, nearly unrivaled in forums history. Unfortunately this change means I absolutely can never post a monster girl again under any circumstances or I will instantly killed. But we can remember the good times.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:ssh: Don't tell anyone or you're a snitch. :ssh:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Anyone remember Betrayal at Krondor? My uncle had it before my family had a proper PC. I still have the disc. I got nowhere in it and it was probably horrible and looks horrible on youtube but it absolutely captured my imagination when i was like 7 or 8.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There is a good lets play of it going on at the moment, check the lp forum.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Holey moley! I did not expect the Let's Play forum to be as active as it still is!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Meme Poker Party posted:

All things change in time, friend. I was offered the special chance for a coveted extra-tall AV and took it. I will be forever grateful to my mysterious benefactor for what was truly a legendary AV, nearly unrivaled in forums history. Unfortunately this change means I absolutely can never post a monster girl again under any circumstances or I will instantly killed. But we can remember the good times.

:rip:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh my good lord what the hell!!!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

Oh my good lord what the hell!!!

Not buff enough.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I said all things change in time but apparently I'm trapped in a loop! They won't let me out!!!

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
goons: "snake tits guy is weird and should be ostracized"
MPP: "ok i will stop being snake tits guy"
goons: "get back in that loving barrel you piece of poo poo"

(fwiw your gimmick was way less annoying than Derpies and i enjoy seeing your posts :shobon:)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chloe Jessica posted:

goons: "snake tits guy is weird and should be ostracized"
MPP: "ok i will stop being snake tits guy"
goons: "get back in that loving barrel you piece of poo poo"

(fwiw your gimmick was way less annoying than Derpies and i enjoy seeing your posts :shobon:)

Perhaps free will is truly an illusion. I honestly have to wonder if this one was hostile or a misguided attempt to reignite the magic lol.

Also thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

jokes posted:

Those PS2 LOTR games deserve a redo, those were fantastic

yeah they were really good, but I'm sure there'd be all kinds of licensing issues or something?

I recently got a old CRT and plugged in my old xbox and have been having fun playing Project Gotham Racing for the past few days