Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

nessin posted:

Anyone know of some pre-made printable terrain? Not the kind your fold/glue/otherwise put together, just flat printouts you can cut out and lay on a table. In the realm of printing out a flat circle with an overhead view of a tree or a few designs of building internals versus place a glass for a tree and toothpicks to denote walls I'd prefer the former for trying things out before trying to find a better solution given my space limitations. I know I could probably print out some RPG battlemaps and cut out what I want but hoping to find something less painful to my printer ink.

Grab a Loke battlemat book with one of their accessory packs? It's that or print random free stuff off Drivethru RPG and in my experience that always ends up being a lot more time, effort and color printing costs than I initially plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Grab a Loke battlemat book with one of their accessory packs? It's that or print random free stuff off Drivethru RPG and in my experience that always ends up being a lot more time, effort and color printing costs than I initially plan.

1985 Games also has cut-out terrain sets

https://1985games.com/collections/dungeon-craft

I haven't tried the terrain sets, but I do have one of their mats and it's pretty decent (Though I mostly only use it partially unfolded for Mörk Boll).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

MCPeePants posted:

I can't find a source, but my understanding is that it's in the standard 28-32mm scale common to most minis games, but the spartan models will stand more like ~38mm tall because they're genetically enhanced supersoldiers. It's on Deadzone's 3" grid system, and using that same hard plastic terrain, so it's sorta constrained to play nice in that respect.

I mean, that's kind of reassuring but also still has the same problem if not technically being in the wrong scale. Like, huge rear end Spartan models is cool, but I will not be able to use them in other games because when compared to supersoldiers from other lines, they'll be comically oversized. Enforcers from Deadzone are a good example. They're going to look like children next to Spartans. There's nothing really wrong with that, but it means I'm not going to want to mix models like I would with figures from other games, so I'm really only going to play with them if I'm playing Halo specifically. So if it's popular and people are playing it here, I'm might grab a pack as I already have Deadzone terrain and playmats. I just don't want to buy them and have no one locally playing and those models effectively existing to gather dust.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

38mm would put them on par with 'average' figs these days as the industry has crept to like 36-42mm now.

I just measured a bunch of Necromunda dorks I had within arms' reach and Delaque, Enforcers, and Gor Half-Horn are all like 37-39mm from the bottom of their feet to the top of the head. Amusingly, just basic Goliath gangers are looking a bit wee and they are supposed to be the big burly ones. Even moderns are real big now. I'd have to dig them out, but I have some of the new Spectre goons and they seemed huge compared to how I remember their original metals (and their noodle gun barrels)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I guess I genuinely prefer 25-28mm as a scale and I'm not a fan of this gradual creeping up to 32-36mm. Tables just aren't big enough to accommodate the models at a certain point, though I do get why some skirmish games like Crisis Protocol are leaning into the larger models when there are only like 4-8 figures a side.

I like looking at my MESBG collection and those models are crisp, sufficiently detailed, and fit nicely on their 25mm round bases with minimal (if any) overhang. Frankly, it's the larger bases and scale that really demotivates me from playing modern GW games aside from MESBG.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

yeah... that is one of my complaints about The Old World in that everything moving up in base sizes is great for ranking stuff up, but everything feels 'loose' like they are getting ready to do calisthenic drills rather than smashing faces. And it doesn't help with the 'wall o' dudes' with certain armies as you can get to a point where you are limited in movement options other than 'go forward'.

Not too long ago I ran across my stash of Red Box Games metals that I have and they are soooooo t i n y compared to everything else. Even the Otherworld metals in the same drawer were pretty burly in comparison. Part of the reason why they are lingering in a drawer is that I don't know what to pair them with to have an adversary force that isn't off scale to them.

To be fair with Crisis Protocol, a larger scale helps with painting crazy details on superhero costumes, but being a bigger scale certainly didn't do them any favors in terms of people having 'appropriate' terrain.

I doubt it will happen as the trend seems to have passed a few years ago, but I wonder if scales will 'flip' at some point and the new hotness will be some 15-20mm game that is platoon-level, like 30-50ish figs per side? Surely things can't creep to the point where an average dude in 10-15 years is getting close to 50mm?

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Truly, Shadowrun Duels was simply ahead of its time.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Cohors Cthulhu Tactics is an upcoming solo/coop wargame (Kickstarter in June) where you lead units from the world of Ancient Rome into battle with Mythos gribblies and hopefully win. Modiphius released a 32-page preview of the system on Friday which they call a Prologue.

Cohors Cthulhu Tactics Prologue here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/480526/Cohors-Cthulhu-Tactics-Prologue-Quickstart--PDF

If you are interested in what I think are the unique mechanics of the wargame, I've highlighted them on my blog here in about three pages: https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2024/05/cohors-cthulhu-tactics-prologue-book.html

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Anyone here play / try BLKOUT? https://www.blkoutgame.com

Seems interesting after reading the rules: super deadly so movement is key, and games seem fast.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lumpy posted:

Anyone here play / try BLKOUT? https://www.blkoutgame.com

Seems interesting after reading the rules: super deadly so movement is key, and games seem fast.

After seeing the example game play videos I feel that most games will play the same. Anyone not in cover dies immediately. Which, while that is accurate to real life, it seems like it's too simple for a tabletop game. 3D10 vs. 1D10 is a big difference.

I was intrigued by the wall peek mechanic. I will probably get the free rules and proxy some Infinity minis to try it out.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
The wall peek mechanic doesn't feel like it's actually necessary though, if I'm following the rules correctly. Any model with less than 50% LoS counts as cover, and LoS is drawn from any point to any point. So you can get the same benefit by just poking the edge of your base around the corner. If cover were less binary, if it had quality levels, then it would make more sense.

It's such a stripped down ruleset that it's indistinguishable from any other post-R&F ruleset. The only rule that has any SF-semblance is 'Data Attack' which just pins a unit anywhere on the table, which you can't do with most weapons; I only see it on a couple units as a special ability, so it almost literally is the same thing as covering fire.

Yet another game that sacrifices so much on the altar of Fast & Simple that there's nothing left of real interest.

If I want to run SF operators in small units, Infinity and Tomorrow's War are both fantastic.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 20, 2024

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has anybody engaged with Mierce's Darklands? The models are phenomenal but there's been no mention in the thread for a few years.

The rules seem very meaty. The setting is dense.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slyphic posted:

The wall peek mechanic doesn't feel like it's actually necessary though, if I'm following the rules correctly. Any model with less than 50% LoS counts as cover, and LoS is drawn from any point to any point. So you can get the same benefit by just poking the edge of your base around the corner. If cover were less binary, if it had quality levels, then it would make more sense.

It's such a stripped down ruleset that it's indistinguishable from any other post-R&F ruleset. The only rule that has any SF-semblance is 'Data Attack' which just pins a unit anywhere on the table, which you can't do with most weapons; I only see it on a couple units as a special ability, so it almost literally is the same thing as covering fire.

Yet another game that sacrifices so much on the altar of Fast & Simple that there's nothing left of real interest.

If I want to run SF operators in small units, Infinity and Tomorrow's War are both fantastic.
It's interesting that nothing has managed to be more interesting than Infinity and Tomorrow's War for the two ends of that niche. You want a tight pickup game you play Infinity. You want a weird super flexible scenario/campaign game you play Tomorrow's War.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Adam and Vince at Snarling Badger announced their new game: Deth Wizards

quote:

Create your undead horde to rule over Deth
Build your rampaging horde of undead minions from any models you like. Skeletons, zombies, ghouls, ghosts, vampires, and more are yours to control. There are 19 different undead to raise, recruit, and create with unique capabilities. You can even create new undead from the heroes you destroy. Choose your minions and lead them to battle in Deth Wizards!

Choose your path to dark domination
What kind of Necromancer are you? From Dread Horde Masters and their legions of simple undead to armor-clad War Reapers fighting shoulder to shoulder with their minions - you decide how you want to play. There are six different legacies to choose from in Deth Wizards, as well as more than 30 Necromantic Powers and 21 special abilities to make your necromancer unique.

Take your revenge on the land of Deth
Play through 11 different missions - rob graveyards, assault arcane colleges, kill the king, or attempt your own dark apotheosis. In Story Play, you decide your evil schemes, though beware - the Heroes of Deth will not take your assaults lightly. In Skirmish play, you will square off against other necromancers to see who is the true master of the dark arts.

Good thing I've been getting together undead minis for games like Forbidden Psalm, 5 Leagues, and Silver Bayonet....

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Good thing I've been getting together undead minis for games like Forbidden Psalm, 5 Leagues, and Silver Bayonet....

Good news! You can also put together undead minis for Necropolis28!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Deth Wizards has co-op! I'm really looking forward to checking it out, and also putting all these undead minis to work.

Necropolis 28 also looks fun, but co-op is going to be a lot easier to get my friends to try.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

moths posted:

Deth Wizards has co-op! I'm really looking forward to checking it out, and also putting all these undead minis to work.

Necropolis 28 also looks fun, but co-op is going to be a lot easier to get my friends to try.

Yeah, I'm watching Adam's and Vince's videos on it while "working" - it's got Solo, Co-Op, and Competitive.

But competitive seems like a missed opportunity because it's necromancer vs. necromancer and not necromancer vs. heroes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I imagine everybody would want to be the necromancers in a game about necromancers, right?

Although that's a very clear opening for expansion.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

moths posted:

I imagine everybody would want to be the necromancers in a game about necromancers, right?
Wait, it's not about two necormancers fighting each other? That's a huge miss on the core concept. I've played that wargame, decently fun, ripe for adaptation and expansion.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Slyphic posted:

Wait, it's not about two necormancers fighting each other? That's a huge miss on the core concept. I've played that wargame, decently fun, ripe for adaptation and expansion.

the competitive mode is necromancer vs. necromancer - solo and co-op is the players' necromancers and minions going up against AI heroes

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
At the end of 2022, there was a failed kickstarter for a line of little rubber guys and the game attached to them called Nano Battle. Even though he didn't get funding through kickstarter, the creator continued trying to get his game made and it is finally here. You can check it out at Nano Battle but it is kinda like Ultimate MUSCLE figures with an interesting arena battler attached. Each player has 6 double sided cards to play strategically until their nanoid switches over to AI controlled. There's also a story mode that adds randomized progression. There's lots of options to play a more advanced game so that eventually it's much more complicated than the base game but the base game is also pretty fun. It feels a bit like the level 99 game Exceed or Battlecon but I'm posting it here because it does use miniatures and they are pretty neat.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cthulu Carl posted:

I enjoy Adam's content, but Vince could make something exciting seem as pedestrian and dull as anything. I will get a copy to check out, but I feel like it may be kind of dull to play.

I'm still stoked to get around to Relicblade.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ok this is how to do a good homage:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Seth Wizards

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Runa posted:

Seth Wizards

Beth Wijards

The Dutch lady selling interior design goods at day, raising skellingtons at night.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm just starting to look through it, and this caught my eye:

Seth Wizards posted:

Built to Perfection: The Monster Master may only recruit undead with a Rating of 3 or 4 that do not have the Spirit type.

:sigh:

Does this mean they can recruit undead that:
1) Only are Rating 3 or 4 and non-spirits.
2) Are any Rating, but 3s and 4s must only be non-spirits.

Their other rules allow them to permanently improve their creatures, so spamming Rating 1 & 2 might be problems later.

I realize this isn't going to be a game with a tournament scene or anything, but goddamn this could be clearer.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

moths posted:

I'm just starting to look through it, and this caught my eye:

:sigh:

Does this mean they can recruit undead that:
1) Only are Rating 3 or 4 and non-spirits.
2) Are any Rating, but 3s and 4s must only be non-spirits.

Their other rules allow them to permanently improve their creatures, so spamming Rating 1 & 2 might be problems later.

I realize this isn't going to be a game with a tournament scene or anything, but goddamn this could be clearer.

Going by the lore for that type, it's 1 - they can recruit undead that are only type 3 or 4 and not spirits. The Monster Master are making works of art out of their corpses. If you want to spam type 1 & 2, then that's the Dread Horde Master

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah that makes the most sense.

I'm likely overreacting to finding ambiguity in the first ten minutes of reading.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
The concept is interesting but are there any playthroughs or reviews available?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

The concept is interesting but are there any playthroughs or reviews available?

Adam put out a turn summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzC-p6q1hXs

And Vince did a better report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXdYhsbMrJ0

For 3rd party batreps and reviews, I haven't seen any yet, but that seems to take a little while for Snarling Badger's games

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

For 3rd party batreps and reviews, I haven't seen any yet, but that seems to take a little while for Snarling Badger's games

That is a cool theme and some underwhelming looking gameplay. I bet the progression system is a blast, but I'm not sure I'd be interested in the miniature game.

Sword/Space weirdos and Relicblade have spoiled me on everything else at that scale. It seems wild to me that people design skirmish games where figures aren't leaping around, pushing, pulling, climbing, falling or deforming the game board. You've got a necromancer focused game and you're telling me the necromancer spends its first turns just making direct damage ranged attacks? Really?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

the necromancer spends its first turns just making direct damage ranged attacks
Oof.

That 'batrep' was so much less interesting than the cover led me to believe. I was imagining something like corpse piles as area resource and control points, vying for control of minions based on quality/quantity/proximity, some push your luck style mechanics for raising greater undead or sacrificing extant ones to make or summon greater ones.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Slyphic posted:

Oof.

That 'batrep' was so much less interesting than the cover led me to believe. I was imagining something like corpse piles as area resource and control points, vying for control of minions based on quality/quantity/proximity, some push your luck style mechanics for raising greater undead or sacrificing extant ones to make or summon greater ones.

That sounds like a really cool mechanic Slyphic.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Slyphic posted:

Oof.

Does any game have those sort of mechanics and victory conditions or special resource rules laid out in the rulebook? Honestly it's been a big annoyance as I've been reading up on a lot of game systems that I can find people calling innovative, and apparently innovation at large in the skirmish miniatures gaming field amounts to individual initiative or victory objectives that literally one step removed from simple elimination (like basic area control or holding a position at the end of a game).

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I've been thinking about Slyphic's idea all day. It kinda reminds me of one of the scenarios I played in Age of Sigmar where you can either hold an objective or burn it immediately for a point but the additional idea tacked on of the objective generating resources sounds really cool. It reminds me also of the unfortunately crashed and burned kickstarter for the game Broken Anvil was producing, Rivenstone.

Actually, while writing this post I remembered the game Alkemy, which did have mana that you allocate to different terrain pieces on the board and then during the game, your magic-using characters could draw it out. I never got to play it but it seemed like a cool idea. I'm not sure if it actually played into the victory conditions or anything, though.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

nessin posted:

Does any game have those sort of mechanics and victory conditions or special resource rules laid out in the rulebook? Honestly it's been a big annoyance as I've been reading up on a lot of game systems that I can find people calling innovative, and apparently innovation at large in the skirmish miniatures gaming field amounts to individual initiative or victory objectives that literally one step removed from simple elimination (like basic area control or holding a position at the end of a game).
Sludge gore tokens were what I had in mind. The board starts with them scattered. They represent horrific sights on the many times fought over battlefield, acting as a morale malus for most units but a resource for the mad and wizardly. They increase as units die near piles, but can be consumed or removed with actions. It's a pretty nifty system, and the reason why Sludge is my favorite of the art-skirmish games.

The shifting control idea was from that old Necromancer game. The tokens were two sided to make it easier to flip control during the game, and the more of a unit you controlled the less powerful each one becomes.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I feel like this thread needs MALEGHAST in its life.
https://tombloom.itch.io/magnagothica-maleghast

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

jodai posted:

I've been thinking about Slyphic's idea all day. It kinda reminds me of one of the scenarios I played in Age of Sigmar where you can either hold an objective or burn it immediately for a point but the additional idea tacked on of the objective generating resources sounds really cool.

When whatever edition of 40k introduced command points, and the rumors were going around of what was in the new edition, I thought command points and scenario victory points were the same thing. Like if you _really_ needed that reroll, but paying for it might make things a minor victory or a tie. I am sure there would have been ways to break that, but I feel like having both of those coming from the same pool could have made some interesting scenarios.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sounds like how A Billion Suns does things with unit purchasing TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Tsilkani posted:

I feel like this thread needs MALEGHAST in its life.
https://tombloom.itch.io/magnagothica-maleghast
I remember reading that. It sounded like a fun isometric tactics game I would be psyched to play on my nintendo switch while commuting on the bus. Like the FTL & Into the Breach devs should totally hook up with Tom Bloom and make something single player I love. But that game design style of "every unit has a list of mostly unique abilities" isn't my taste in IRL multiplayer tabletop wargames; not a fan of Malifaux or MCP or their ilk, not a big combo play wargamer.