Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Tell seller to leave the bike with keys in the ignition at nearest big-box store parking lot. I'll be over to inspect it momentarily. You're welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m not sure if you’ve been watching the news or not but right now may be a tough time to get three strangers together in New York :raise:

Yeah, I know it's a long shot but Highland is a 5,600 person Hamlet 85 miles from NYC. Even a drive by to confirm it has 2 wheels and a tank and exists would help.

I am trying to sell my KLR at the moment and the plan is to roll it into my front yard and wipe it down then stand back 10 feet while the buyer looks it over. If we make a deal I'll wear a mask and sanitize my hands before we do paperwork.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Stitecin posted:

Yeah, I know it's a long shot but Highland is a 5,600 person Hamlet 85 miles from NYC. Even a drive by to confirm it has 2 wheels and a tank and exists would help.

I am trying to sell my KLR at the moment and the plan is to roll it into my front yard and wipe it down then stand back 10 feet while the buyer looks it over. If we make a deal I'll wear a mask and sanitize my hands before we do paperwork.

I live in NYC. It’s not such a bad trip but your timing is terrible.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Yesterday I tried to buy a not running ‘72 Norton Interstate for $1500 so I could trade it for a friend’s beautifully maintained CB500T. The guy who replied to the ad just before I did bought the Norton :(

That’s my sad story for the day.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Two dents in the tank and “just needs carb work to run” :crossarms:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Revvik posted:

Pursue

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

It was gone SO FAST.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
A zrx popped up near me without a title for $1200 and was gone within a day. I guess someone just desperately needed a parts donor.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nitrox posted:

A zrx popped up near me without a title for $1200 and was gone within a day. I guess someone just desperately needed a parts donor.

A (running) $1200 ZRX would be worth the hassle of getting a new title.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you start filing documents and it turns up stolen, and the owner wants it back, your money just went down the drain. And, congrats, you now have a criminal record.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You wouldn’t get a criminal record if you have documentation that shows you bought it in good faith I’d imagine.

Let it be known that IANAL

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:colbert: I maintain it's worth the hassle

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

:colbert: I maintain it's worth the hassle
Gamblers gonna gamble

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno if I sell you a bike and say it was never registered because it was gonna be a track bike but then things got away from me and I didn’t have time for it, so I sell it to you with no title and then you attempt to make it street legal how is that a criminal record for you?

If there was any criminal misdoings, they’d be on me.

Yeah if I say “shits stolen” and then you buy known stolen goods and try to cheese your way into a title, that’s on you, but that’s about the only way it would go south for the buyer

mewse
May 2, 2006

Can't you guys run a vin to check if it's stolen? At that point if it's flagged you can let the police know that you were sold stolen goods, you shouldn't be held liable but you might have to surrender the bike

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dunno if I sell you a bike and say it was never registered because it was gonna be a track bike but then things got away from me and I didn’t have time for it, so I sell it to you with no title and then you attempt to make it street legal how is that a criminal record for you?

If there was any criminal misdoings, they’d be on me.

Yeah if I say “shits stolen” and then you buy known stolen goods and try to cheese your way into a title, that’s on you, but that’s about the only way it would go south for the buyer

ACCORDING TO THE INTERNET, the burden of proof for a charge of receiving stolen property requires demonstrating that the receiver knew said property was stolen. If you didn't have any reason to believe it was stolen, you shouldn't get hit with charges, you'd just be out the bike and your cash.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone who once bought and sold enough bikes in a calendar year to get a letter from the state telling me I had to register as a dealership, I can tell you the biggest hassle you will get is at the DMV, and it will be them NOT wanting to do anything.

As long as you aren't knowingly buying stolen goods, you're fine.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/fairfield-vintage-1977-honda-goldwing/7114017274.html

Since we're all about the goldwings lately

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Revvik posted:

Had to check that tank dent and make sure someone wasn't trying to sell my bike, despite I just saw it yesterday in my parents garage

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Not great ads, but who are these people?

2014 TW200 with 46 miles on it:
https://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/hampden-yamaha-tw200/7118890403.html

2013 Vespa with 1 mile on it:
https://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/d/south-freeport-2013-vespa-150-lxie/7118772346.html

I can’t imagine owning something for seven years and never using it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Both of those are ridiculous. Yes I would like to pay MSRP on a neglected TW200 that I'm going to have to replace everything on and will never be as good as a new one.

That vespa is an equal story, with the lol of having way too many zeros.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Come on, isn't the FIRST THING you want to do with your Tdub is replace its crazy unique tires??

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That Vespa has to be an accidental extra zero, right?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's gotta be an extra zero. What do those things even MSRP for. Why would you buy a pleasure vehicles and literally never ride them though. Why bother.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Come on, isn't the FIRST THING you want to do with your Tdub is replace its crazy unique tires??

Touche.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Has to be too many zeros, maybe they meant $350 (I have no idea what scooters cost) :v:

Only thing I could think of to explain that would be impulse buy where they get it and ride it for like 1 minute and go "oh poo poo I have no idea what I'm doing I guess I don't want this after all" which kinda tracks with the TW200 but yeah to have it for years? :thunk:

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

My father is/was a financially successful small business owner, he did those sorts of things. He wasn't like... politically wealthy? But he could afford very stupid ~$5-10k impulse buys several times a year. "Those are neat, I been thinkin' about getting one of those!" usually would get declared in the ~week prior to buying one.

At the very least I remember an S175 Bobcat skid-steer, a C3 Corvette, a Buell Blast, and a Harley Wide Glide sitting in the heated 3-bay semi-truck garage he bought for hobby workshop and storage space.

My mother and I learned to ride on the Blast and then it sat. The skid steer was used to forklift pallets of beehives for his personal apiary, some yard work at our house, and then it mostly sat. The corvette was owned before I was born, sat the whole time, then he sold it when I was 15. The Wide Glide got bought as part of his midlife crisis, but then he got an Electra Glide Classic like a year later so the Wide Glide sat. He bought a brand new trailer to take the bikes to Sturgis, went like maybe twice, then that trailer sat.

I love buying motorcycles from dentists who found out too late that they did not enjoy motorcycling, sometimes they let unridden stuff go for actual good prices.

RadioPassive fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 5, 2020

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Hell yes:

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/d/laguna-niguel-segway-x260-brand-new/7119385693.html

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I saw an ad yesterday for a 2014 SR400 with 950 miles on it (original owner). Ad said miles might go up as they were still riding it.

*edit* anyone looking for a Hawk in the Chicago area, or anywhere else for that matter, you won't find a nicer one than this for this price. I see a tiny dent in the backside of the tank that's it. Needs a rear shock replacement to be perfect. Buy it so I don't:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/d/melrose-park-1988-honda-hawk-650-gt/7117983581.html

Gorson fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 6, 2020

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Maybe he commutes a quarter mile every day on it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe it’s some super bougie person with a half mile long driveway and getting the mail on that is cooler than using a golf cart.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Gorson posted:

I saw an ad yesterday for a 2014 SR400 with 950 miles on it (original owner). Ad said miles might go up as they were still riding it.

*edit* anyone looking for a Hawk in the Chicago area, or anywhere else for that matter, you won't find a nicer one than this for this price. I see a tiny dent in the backside of the tank that's it. Needs a rear shock replacement to be perfect. Buy it so I don't:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/mcy/d/melrose-park-1988-honda-hawk-650-gt/7117983581.html

drat that seems like a great price; plus it has a center-stand!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
No miles on an sr400 seems about par for the course. Most of the listings for them near me are 5 years old with less than 500 miles on them. Decent prices in good condition, too, which is terrible since the model has grown on me.

Then there is one 2016 sr400 for $9500 advertised as being a "classic that will only increase in value" lol

Love that hawk, gorson. It's pristine. Whenever I see these high hawk prices I understand. Wouldn't part with mine for at least another year.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have a newer, more comfortable and advanced version of that 650 and it's a nice bike, can confirm. It's like a bike version of a golden Lab, friendly and trying its hardest to please everyone. 2010 welcomes you to the wonderful world of fuel injection, abs and linked brakes. Oh, and I paid less then that asking price above.

Some photos https://imgur.com/gallery/9N2CUeI

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That midnight pic is really nice.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Really love those nightshots nitrox. We couldn't do that here because nobody will stay inside. A unique time for you to capture that.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing...etSYNk7vCE4EyfU

I love white Hawks and I cannot lie. Anyone know what that bullet fairing is off of? It looks really good.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coydog posted:

Really love those nightshots nitrox. We couldn't do that here because nobody will stay inside. A unique time for you to capture that.

I love white Hawks and I cannot lie. Anyone know what that bullet fairing is off of? It looks really good.

That is a very sharp bike

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The only thing I don't like about it is gloss white wheels clash with the ivory pearl paint, but that's an easy inexpensive fix.

Coydog, Gorson probably knows exactly where that fairing came from but it looks like there's a logo on it. I can't make it out but someone else might recognize it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Coydog posted:

Thanks. It was past midnight, and still had to wait for cars to clear out.

Thos type of fairings are all over eBay, surely a copy of something like samurider originals

https://www.samurider.com/

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I called the dealership about that hawk and it was sold today. They gave me the name of the mgr to call later who might be able to tell me what that cowl was.

You are correct, gorson might know since he seems to know everything about the worlds coolest bikes (hawk and tw200). I'm afraid that isn't it Nitrox, but thanks for the help. Everything I see online is the bullet fairing with a round hole for the headlight, but that hawk has some rad square shield and an inset surround for the headlight to fit into.

It reminds me of the headlights on the old bmw bikes and I NEED it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Okay, I've been down to the bottom of the internet multiple times, and the closest thing I can dredge up is the rifle fairings. Nice, and close, but I really like the shape of that other one.

https://rifle.com/Superbike-Fairing-P1903.aspx

Would be really nice to have for winter and highway use. Gonna have to start dredging hawk forums and enthusiast groups.

EDIT: Thanks to a hawk facebook group member IDing the logo as "Tracy Designs" I found the model fairing!! It's a Tracy Designs Streetfighter fairing. Practically unobtainium, but at least I know what I'm looking for.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 10, 2020