Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cool, I had wondered what the deal about Brinnie is pretty much since she was shown in that other flashback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Mostly unbiased information about Annie's dad? :holy:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

karmicknight posted:

Technically, Here is the first time we see Brinnie, but we didn't have any context as to who she was at the time.

I just noticed how they are paired up in that photograph.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I just realized Gunnerkrigg Court is my heroin. I can't get enough.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Yesssssss, flashback!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

VanSandman posted:

I just realized Gunnerkrigg Court is my heroin. I can't get enough.

Seconded. I stare at every new page like a crazy person, just to drink in as much as possible.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Pardot posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=538 This was the first time we saw Brinnie, right?

karmicknight posted:

Technically, Here is the first time we see Brinnie, but we didn't have any context as to who she was at the time. That is the first time we saw here in the flesh though, yes. I do wonder what this story will have to do with Microsat 5 and Anthony's message?

Stop linking comics, you bastards! I don't have time to archive-binge right now! :argh:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
You know, when I was reading through 1000+ pages of this comic during the last couple days I didn't notice each individual page was so... short. And you only get three of them per week?

Oh man, that's tough. I guess I'm going to only read it once per month or something like that.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Kanthulhu posted:

Oh man, that's tough. I guess I'm going to only read it once per month or something like that.

That's a good option. Or you can join us in anticipation.

And ya, it' can be slow going, but at least you never need to worry about it not updating.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
So what are the chances Surma and Brinnie hatched a plan to get Anthony to save Brinnie by braving an "impenetrable" ring of fire?

It sounds like the sort of plan Annie would come up with.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kanthulhu posted:

You know, when I was reading through 1000+ pages of this comic during the last couple days I didn't notice each individual page was so... short. And you only get three of them per week?

You say that now, but you'll be curious when this Friday comes around. Friday's comic will make you curious for Monday, then the entire plan will crumble

Of course the issue could be that I'm an obscenely curious person.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I think Gunnerkrigg Court is the easiest long form story comic to follow update to update while still maintaining a readable story overall, but maybe I'm just saying that because it's the only webcomic I can't bring myself to put off to read in chunks.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Hooray, my call for a flashback scene was answered!

karmicknight posted:

Technically, Here is the first time we see Brinnie, but we didn't have any context as to who she was at the time. That is the first time we saw here in the flesh though, yes. I do wonder what this story will have to do with Microsat 5 and Anthony's message?

And while looking at this to compare with the new page, I am constantly astounded by how good the art has evolved from back then. Looking forward to learning more about Brinnie! Also, speaking of updates, this is the only comic I check regularly - other ones like Cucumber Quest I prefer to read in large chunks.

It's probably because pages of GC always come out at 12, and I'm usually doing work at that time. So it's a nice distraction.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Frankly, I think that Gunnerkrigg is one of the best-paced comics on the web. It moves faster than most five-day-a-week comics I know.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
You know, Tom hasn't used a lot of detail on Donald's face there, but man, do I know that expression. I think we've all had to delicately try to explain a friend's apparently horrible behavior to someone else.

Also: interesting that the group of six breaks down into three couples. And yet only one of them is still together! It's almost as if not everybody stays with their high school sweetheart their whole life.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Not to mention that at that point, they were more like middle school sweethearts.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fecha posted:

Not to mention that at that point, they were more like middle school sweethearts.

It's really easy to forget how young a lot of the characters are.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Olivia42 posted:

I think Gunnerkrigg Court is the easiest long form story comic to follow update to update while still maintaining a readable story overall, but maybe I'm just saying that because it's the only webcomic I can't bring myself to put off to read in chunks.

It's not just you. I keep up with several comics that I think are absolutely fantastic, including Dr. McNinja, Unsounded, and Lackadaisy Cats, but I tend to put them off to read as chapters. On the other hand, reading Gunnerkrigg Court is one of the first things I do after waking up three days a week. The engaging storylines and the pacing are truly something special.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I don't know if I'd call it heroin, but I do know that I'd be devastated if it got cut off before it ended.

Hell, imagine Tom just decided on a whim to cut off the updates for a week--we've been so spoiled as readers that a lot of people actually would start going through withdrawal. I guess that's a small drawback that comes with consistency.

Tom, do you manually update or do you have some sort of computer program that does it for you?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
edit: ^^^I'm pretty sure it's all automated. He's got like a 3 month buffer set up, and it all uploads things automatically? I'm pretty sure that's right, because I seem to recall him being on vacation(s) while his comic updated like normal.

Gunnerkrigg Court just happens to be like, the only good story-based webcomic that updates on a set schedule. 3 days week, and because of of the buffer, an update is never missed. There are some great story driven webcomics (String Theory, Cheap Thrills, Love Me Nice, Paranatural, Powernap, Beyond the Canopy, Lackadaisy, etc) but they don't have a set schedule. It's mostly the gag-a-day comics (Penny Arcade, PVP, Gunshow, etc) that update on a set schedule like GC. It's a lot easier to keep up with GC compared to the others, so easier to get addicted!

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Macaluso posted:

edit: ^^^I'm pretty sure it's all automated. He's got like a 3 month buffer set up, and it all uploads things automatically? I'm pretty sure that's right, because I seem to recall him being on vacation(s) while his comic updated like normal.

All the strips are already uploaded, the thing just moves one from a non-public directory to a public directory on a schedule.

I may or may not have read the source to the thing he's using in a futile attempt to read ahead.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Pardot posted:

All the strips are already uploaded, the thing just moves one from a non-public directory to a public directory on a schedule.

I may or may not have read the source to the thing he's using in a futile attempt to read ahead.
I was poking around and found this. It's relaxing.

edit: It looks like this if it's actually in use and not the actual element.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Brinnie looks nice :shobon:. Both here and in the flashback chapter. Looking forward to seeing more of her.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Anyone consider the possibility that Jones is Brinnie, Annie's father did have her number after all.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Ohtsam posted:

Anyone consider the possibility that Jones is Brinnie, Annie's father did have her number after all.

I have been contemplating the possibility not only that Jones is Brinnie, but that Brinnie is in fact another Norse mythological character pretending to be Brinnie.

If one of those characters turns out to be Odin, let the record show that I totally called it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ohtsam posted:

Eglamore says Jones couldn't be in the photoshoot and Don says Surma can't stand her, so unless there's shape-shifting going on I don't think this is a likely scenario.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Literally Sharks posted:

I have been contemplating the possibility not only that Jones is Brinnie, but that Brinnie is in fact another Norse mythological character pretending to be Brinnie.

If one of those characters turns out to be Odin, let the record show that I totally called it.

Annie's dad is Odin. It's the only possible explanation :colbert:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ohtsam posted:

During that flashback in "Ties" James makes a remark wishing that Jones was there for the photo.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
We know brinnie was not Jones before we knew brinnie was brinnie

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Walker posted:

Annie's dad is Odin. It's the only possible explanation :colbert:

Finally someone explained me this comic. I have been very confused until now.

This is also why Coyote/Loki likes her so much; he's her sister :colbert:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

Finally someone explained me this comic. I have been very confused until now.

This is also why Coyote/Loki likes her so much; he's her sister :colbert:

I'm pretty astounded that Gunnerkrigg hasn't become impossibly muddled considering how many different mythologies we've already seen. I think if I continue thinking about this much longer I'm going to :psyboom:

Microsoft has broken me.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
She's totally one of Odin's ravens.

quote:

In Norse mythology, Huginn (from Old Norse "thought") and Muninn (Old Norse "memory" or "mind") are a pair of ravens that fly all over the world, Midgard, and bring the god Odin information.
Sounds like a wandering eye to me!
I do not actually think she is a raven

edit:

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 15, 2012

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Wait, I totally have it figured out.

See, Gunnerkrigg Court is actually a metaphor for a human's immune system. Eglamore is a T cell, Donnie and Anja are B cells, and Annie and Kat are mitochondria. The whole shebang is really part of an accountant living in a apartment in downtown Birmingham who's catching a cold (represented by Coyote).

Brinnie is still a valkyrie, though, she just enjoys making herself microscopic sometimes.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
And then at the end, we find out that this is all happening in the imagination of an autistic child.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

And then at the end, we find out that this is all happening in the imagination of an autistic child.

Anthony?

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Chibisoma.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

See, Gunnerkrigg Court is actually a metaphor for a human's immune system. Eglamore is a T cell, Donnie and Anja are B cells, and Annie and Kat are mitochondria. The whole shebang is really part of an accountant living in a apartment in downtown Birmingham who's catching a cold (represented by Coyote).

Brinnie is still a valkyrie, though, she just enjoys making herself microscopic sometimes.

Then who are the midichlorians?

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Nipponophile posted:

Then who are the midichlorians?

The fairies, Dumbotron.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

idonotlikepeas posted:

Oh yeah well what's Boxbot smart guy :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Wrist Watch posted:

Oh yeah well what's Boxbot smart guy :smugbert:

Jar Jar Binks, except more terrible.