Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

DQ11 is more complicated because there's a PS4 version and that means it'll probably be up to S-E to do all the work in bringing any or all versions overseas and even if Nintendo does get directly involved, they probably won't start talking about it until a while after DQ8 3DS comes out.

DQ8 3DS is out here in a week anyway, so "a while after DQ8 3DS" probably won't be significantly later than most localization processes start. And would actually be way before the average DQ localization process :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
DQH2 was shown (briefly?) in last night's Switch presentation and it'd be weird for Nintendo to not want it because of something like "well there's a FE Musou game being made and DQH2 could hurt it" when they're going to want as many good games as possible on this system because they can't really afford a repeat of the WiiU's cycle. Especially since a solid Switch launch and popularity means the 3DS can start being phased out.

I'd be shocked if DQ11 doesn't come out here though. Builders was pretty solidly popular and the remakes are likely doing well enough. They just need to do more than expect word of mouth to move units.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
They should finally put some god drat Dragon Quest games on the VC

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd be shocked if DQ11 doesn't come out here though. Builders was pretty solidly popular and the remakes are likely doing well enough. They just need to do more than expect word of mouth to move units.
After they did so well with DQ9 (compared to other DQs, at least) I'd be surprised if they didn't try to push an actual new DQ game via at least some marketing in the States.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I don't think we'd get DQ11 before 2018, though. Its Japanese release date is still a vague 2017 and it wouldn't really benefit Nintendo to put 2018 titles on their official list. The new SE game by the bravely default team isn't on there either, for instance.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Looper posted:

They should finally put some god drat Dragon Quest games on the VC

That would be pretty sweet, no lie.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DACK FAYDEN posted:

After they did so well with DQ9 (compared to other DQs, at least) I'd be surprised if they didn't try to push an actual new DQ game via at least some marketing in the States.

You'd think so, but Squeenix is very clearly incapable of Learning such basic concepts. "Oh, this one that was actually advertised did pretty well? Let's do the next one without any advertisement whatsoever. Wait, what do you mean it didn't sell? What's wrong?!"

The story of DQVI

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Skunkrocker posted:

That would be pretty sweet, no lie.

If they did that, I wonder if they'd go with 1-4 NES, or 1-3 GBC. And if they did either, just say "gently caress it" and toss DQM 1 and 2 up there as well!

Truthfully I don't think they're going to touch any of the older titles ever again, because mobile is "good enough." :(

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes 1&2 was announced for Switch today - it's a Japanese launch title (March 3) and will contain all the content and DLC from both games as well as new tweaks and extra content (I see Malroth and whathisface from DQ4 in the video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCzaHm13rFs

I don't think it was announced for release elsewhere but they did announce the Switch is region-free so you can import it if you really want to.

DQ10 and DQ11 were both reconfirmed for Switch.

There's an entry for it on Amazon right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Title-7/dp/B01NASEX0C/

However I can't find any official confirmation that it's getting a US release.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nemo2342 posted:

There's an entry for it on Amazon right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Title-7/dp/B01NASEX0C/

However I can't find any official confirmation that it's getting a US release.

Anything that was shown yesterday is likely getting US/EU releases since if it was Japanese only it'd make more sense to exclude it from the English presentation and save it for the Japanese one (going on right now).

I mean, it's possible that some things shown last night aren't getting English release but it'd require a lot of people loving up in NoA and NoJ. And SE to a lesser extent.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Does anyone know if the DQ8 3DS version has timed DLC or otherwise timed content like DQ7 did?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bigass Moth posted:

Does anyone know if the DQ8 3DS version has timed DLC or otherwise timed content like DQ7 did?

It looks like it's just the the pre-order bonuses from the Japanese version will be DLC, otherwise, no big dungeon dlc content like 7 or 9.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Allarion posted:

It looks like it's just the the pre-order bonuses from the Japanese version will be DLC, otherwise, no big dungeon dlc content like 7 or 9.

...hang on, DQ7 had DLC?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fancy Hat! posted:

...hang on, DQ7 had DLC?

Free dlc, but yeah. The special tablet dungeone they rolled out.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Zore posted:

Free dlc, but yeah. The special tablet dungeone they rolled out.

OH! Right, those. I assume those that have expired by now?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Fancy Hat! posted:

OH! Right, those. I assume those that have expired by now?

They roll out 3 every week. This Friday is the last set. After that, they will either keep the same weekly rollout, let you choose them all at once, stop forever, or some other unknown variable.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Help. Dragon Quest 7. Village of animals. Not really sure what to do here, and not keen to turn to a walkthrough just yet. Help me, goon nerds of Something Awful Forums.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really hope we get a sequel to Builders sooner rather than later. I don't care what console it's on, I just want more of it.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Help. Dragon Quest 7. Village of animals. Not really sure what to do here, and not keen to turn to a walkthrough just yet. Help me, goon nerds of Something Awful Forums.

Idk what exactly you're stuck on but more often than not it's because you didn't talk to someone in the town

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Alternatively, talk to your party members. If you don't know anyone who can talk to animals, you need to explore Estard island more thoroughly

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Looper posted:

Alternatively, talk to your party members. If you don't know anyone who can talk to animals, you need to explore Estard island more thoroughly

This is probably what you need to do. It's where I got hung up at that part

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, not gonna bother with spoilers because there's no reason to explore that area when Maribel berates you for it, there's a woodcutter like two feet away from Pilchard Bay that talks to animals, when your guys start bugging you to find someone who can talk to animals in party chat once you've talked to enough people go find him.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ok so the cave North west of the village where apparently animals and humans are switched is a red herring for now? And I need to go to the woodcutter near Pilchard Bay?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does DQ8 release midnight tonight EST?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Turtlicious posted:

Does DQ8 release midnight tonight EST?

Most likely. That's the usual release time.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

BadAstronaut posted:

Ok so the cave North west of the village where apparently animals and humans are switched is a red herring for now? And I need to go to the woodcutter near Pilchard Bay?

You can go all the way to the top of that mountain but it's blocked off until you do the story flag. That part is kind of dumb since you saw the Woodcutter for five seconds twenty hours before.

I just beat the two bonus dungeons. What a wet fart of a challenge.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you never actually had to meet the woodcutter before, and your first time out of town you aren't even allowed to. it isn't very good scenario design, but it could have easily been circumvented with a line or two in party chat. it wouldn't be strange for maribel and keifer to know about him.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Your Amazon.co.uk order of "Dragon Quest VIII: Journey..." has been dispatched

:smug:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BadAstronaut posted:

Your Amazon.co.uk order of "Dragon Quest VIII: Journey..." has been dispatched

:smug:
Arriving Today: Your Amazon package with Dragon Quest VIII: ...

:yeah:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It was determined that of I have DQ8 on PS2 that it isn't worth rebuilt correct?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I missed it, what're the differences between the ps2, ios and 3ds versions of 8

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

From what i'm reading:
- Red and Morrie can now be party members
- No more random encounters. I think they mean you run into monsters to start an encounter
- Post game content
- New Dungeon

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

they added a new super involved and fun camera sidequest, and you can fast forward during battles. Also the alchemy pot is instant now.

This is in addition to the stuff already listed.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Amazon (US) is telling me that my pre-ordered copy of DQVIII will be here today. I thought that tomorrow, the 20th was the street date and I didn't think for a moment that they were allowed to have it here even a day sooner. Not upset if it does arrive today, just surprised.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Yesterday I traded in my PS2 with Dragon Quest VIII, as that game was the only reason I'd kept the console for so long. I preloaded DQVIII on my 3DS two weeks ago, so I'm all prepared for tonight.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

From what i'm reading:
- Red and Morrie can now be party members
- No more random encounters. I think they mean you run into monsters to start an encounter
- Post game content
- New Dungeon

Also no orchestral soundtrack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It took me an unreasonably long time not to read that as "Rick and Morty can now be party members."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There is an unreasonably long period of time in DQ7 where every single battle is just "MC uses Lightning, Ruff uses Roundhouse Kick, Maribel does whatever because everything will be dead anyway".

Like what even is the point of buying weapons?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

precision posted:

There is an unreasonably long period of time in DQ7 where every single battle is just "MC uses Lightning, Ruff uses Roundhouse Kick, Maribel does whatever because everything will be dead anyway".

I think maybe weapons might affect your Thin Air damage, once you get that? But maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

I got burned out because of that. I just got my replacement fourth party member and am at an island where I help rear end in a top hat winged people lord their wings over us regular people and just can't find the energy to keep going.