Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

zenless posted:

Seeing the Sword tonight, am i the only one that really digs High Country? I like it far more than Apocryphon

It's more Thin Lizzy and ZZ Top than Black Sabbath - it like it! Just took a few listens to adjust from my expectations. By far the most experimental the band has ever been while remaining loyal the almighty riff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

zenless posted:

Seeing the Sword tonight, am i the only one that really digs High Country? I like it far more than Apocryphon

Wrong, but I saw them last night and it was a great show so :shrug:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

Help me Doom thread: Beneath Broken Earth by Paradise Lost is maybe my favorite song of 2015. I want to listen to basically a whole album of that, but it's pretty different stylistically from the rest of that album/their catalogue over all. I'm fairly familiar with funeral doom stuff like Saturnus or Skepticism that gets sort of in the same ballpark, but any other suggestions would be rad. Most of the death doom I've heard has a heavier melodeath influence than this does.

The song, for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55XlIPzY5q0
Disembowelment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ2TmW_1tHU

Sinistrous Diabolus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVINOkc0nJE

Thorr's Hammer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ57PS-5bhM

Worship
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYJ-T1erWNk

A lot of this stuff is more death than doom, and it doesn't really have much to do with stoner or sludge so you'll likely get more suggestions in the general metal thread.

elephants on acid
Mar 1, 2012

elder/earthless type stuff that is good as gently caress and weirdly unknown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oio0YWacceg

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.
Anyone here familiar with Wrekmeister Harmonies? I saw that they were supporting the Bell Witch / Pallbearer tour and decided to check it out and it's...really something. Basically a one-man project with lots of guest appearances, with a sound that makes me think of a more majestic, almost orchestral version of The Body (both of whom contribute).

I think I'm going to be digesting this one for a few days.

https://wrekmeisterharmonies.bandcamp.com/

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Robophile posted:

Anyone here familiar with Wrekmeister Harmonies? I saw that they were supporting the Bell Witch / Pallbearer tour and decided to check it out and it's...really something. Basically a one-man project with lots of guest appearances, with a sound that makes me think of a more majestic, almost orchestral version of The Body (both of whom contribute).

I listened to their last album and wasn't too enthusiastic about it, but their new one kills. It feels like the doom just grows organically out of those monolithic drones and chants. It's really something.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

funeral fag posted:

Early My Dying Bride?

A human heart posted:

A lot of this stuff is more death than doom, and it doesn't really have much to do with stoner or sludge so you'll likely get more suggestions in the general metal thread.

Thanks! I knew a few of these bands but I guess I had forgotten about them. I also remembered that Mourning Beloveth does a very similar style as well.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Hello new Baroness track!! IMO the best one they've released so far. Ending riff sounds like it's pretty much taken straight off Leviathan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYF5FCu_M-k

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Pretty pumped for this.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Hello new Baroness track!! IMO the best one they've released so far. Ending riff sounds like it's pretty much taken straight off Leviathan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYF5FCu_M-k

yeah this is the first good baroness song since blue record was released

that last riff is so blood and thunder as well lol

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 4, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
sounds like a double mastodon with extra cheese and lovely vocals

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 4, 2015

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Pokey Araya posted:

Make sure you get to that CoC show early and catch Mothership. Super rad dudes, and a killer band.

Glad I took your advice. Just had my face melted.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Front row center

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Robophile posted:

Really good, thanks.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Finally checked out that Wrekmeister Harmonies and ordered the record immediately. So glad they're playing with Bell Witch.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
Are Sun O))) actually any good, cos yeah, haven't heard their other stuff but not at all impressed by White 1. Would rather listen to Swans - better atmosphere and their stuff at least sounds like it took more than a few days to put together.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Are Sun O))) actually any good, cos yeah, haven't heard their other stuff but not at all impressed by White 1. Would rather listen to Swans - better atmosphere and their stuff at least sounds like it took more than a few days to put together.

Sunn O))) and Swans are way different bands that do way different things so I'm not sure where this comparison is coming from, but if White1 is too primitive for you then check out Monoliths & Dimensions; it's probably their most complex and multifaceted record to date. Sunn's whole deal is stripping heavy music down to its barest elements and exploring them on such a scale that they subsume the listener. The focus of their music is on tone and texture, and the only connection to rock music their work has is when they play what passes for a riff at about 0.001 mph and let it unfold in waves of firmament-shaking distortion.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you're gonna listen to Sunn, do it on gold speakers/headphones. A lot of their stuff uses reallly low frequencies that add to the atmosphere.

M&D is a classic album for me.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Sunn O))) is best listened to alone, in the dark, with headphones on and your eyes closed. I'm already afraid of the dark, but Sunn O))) makes those fears tangible.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
00 Void was my introduction to Sunn O))), at a time when I was just getting into heavier music and listening to stuff like Black Sabbath, Cathedral, Isis, Eyehategod. I think I heard about them as a Goatsnake side project, and listening to that album for the first time sat alone in the house with the speakers way up high just blew me the gently caress away. It also lead to all kinds of cool discoveries basically by just going through the catalogues of the various people involved and listening to their other work and other connected stuff. I really don't think they ever suspected they would take off the way they have, where they're now a pretty big name in the (admittedly fairly small) experimental heavy music scene.

I didn't really love White either, and 00 Void is probably still my favourite. I don't think you completely get Sunn O))) until you see them live, but those first few notes of Richard give me that feeling of discovering something new and awesome every time I hear them. Also there's a (sort of) Melvin's cover on that record!

e: lol, also just remembered that the first time I saw them, playing a double bill with Earth, I convinced a friend to make the two hour journey to the show with me, not having played him either band first. He was into stuff like Lamb of God, Machinehead and Killswitch Engage at the time and didn't know what the hell to make of it.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 7, 2015

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Very loud fridges are pretty scary I guess.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I've been on a Pentagram binge lately and am half considering driving up from Tampa to the Atlanta show in March because gently caress yeah Pentagram.

That in mind I've never actually seen them live and I'm curious how they are, especially lately. This is like an eight hours each way commitment and the only time in recent memory I was prepared for that was for the Kings of Metal (:v:) who never took the stage because of inclement weather.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Is this a troll? Mods?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Shakenbaker posted:

So I've been on a Pentagram binge lately and am half considering driving up from Tampa to the Atlanta show in March because gently caress yeah Pentagram.

That in mind I've never actually seen them live and I'm curious how they are, especially lately. This is like an eight hours each way commitment and the only time in recent memory I was prepared for that was for the Kings of Metal (:v:) who never took the stage because of inclement weather.

How sober has Bobby been lately?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Juaguocio posted:

How sober has Bobby been lately?

No idea. I remember around the release of Curious Volume there were interviews with him about how he was really having a rough time with things lately, but I don't know if/how that translated into him backsliding. Honestly that's another reason I'd like to see them sooner than later because who knows how long he'll hold out?

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene

Shakenbaker posted:

Saw them a few weeks ago in London and they were loving fantastic. Liebling was in great form.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Saw them a few weeks ago in London and they were loving fantastic. Liebling was in great form.

Excellent, just what I wanted to hear. Thanks much.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend the best earbuds for doom/sludge? I'm trying to find the best ones that can really deliver that bass and low tones (as well as earbuds can really)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend the best earbuds for doom/sludge? I'm trying to find the best ones that can really deliver that bass and low tones (as well as earbuds can really)

I'm no aficionado but I use the Sennheiser CX 200s and they put out an impressive amount of bass for earbuds.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Is there anything as heavy as the first three tracks on Monoliths & Dimensions but instrumental?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

plugs custom molded for your ear canal. they just cut out ~20 decibels without affecting the sound much.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

me your dad posted:

Is there anything as heavy as the first three tracks on Monoliths & Dimensions but instrumental?

Yeah, Earth 2 Special Low Frequency Version. 16 years before M&D was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls1OYn_xGzM

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Yeah, Earth 2 Special Low Frequency Version. 16 years before M&D was released.

Thanks - this is great. It's amazing there was stuff like this in 1993. I was in high school and would have probably really dug this had I been exposed to it. Music discovery before the internet was such a different thing.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dyna Soar posted:

plugs custom molded for your ear canal. they just cut out ~20 decibels without affecting the sound much.

He means IEM's not plugs I'm pretty sure

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Kvlt! posted:

AIAIAI's gear is generally very dark and well designed- never used their earbuds which are called pipe but the tma-1 and tracks are wicked

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

nerve posted:

He means IEM's not plugs I'm pretty sure

ah, right. well then, earbuds aren't really optimal for low frequencies (if you care about whats optimal, hah. everyone listens to mp3's nowadays). honestly these are almost as good as any buds, even the ones that cost 100-200 bucks.

http://www.cnet.com/products/panasonic-ergo-fit/

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I used Etymotics for a while (can't remember what the model was, looks like the hf5 is the new equivalent price point) and the sound was good with nice bass and great isolation, but if you were walking the cable transferred the noise of every movement because they fit so deep in your ear, and they broke after about 6 months. Since then I've never bothered buying expensive buds again, I always wreck the cable anyway. I don't really get it, for over ear headphones sure, they're not intended for moving around with, but surely the whole point of buds is that they're portable?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i've had dozens of pairs of different earbuds, mostly mid-range koss and sennheisers but i've also tried more expensive koss and sennheisers. i honestly can't really tell the difference between them and those cheap panasonics i just linked.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 8, 2015

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Kvlt! posted:

To echo others...
I've had a couple of pairs of the $60-70 Sennheisers over the years and they've been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Dear Thread,

Thanks for the Wrekmeister Harmonies recommendation. Seeing them live on Thursday. Best stuff I've heard in a long while.

Cheers

--Rudest Buddhist