Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Apparently they buy from a "small family farm" with their own "patented press."

I really doubt this is better than my own recipe, but I'll be damned if I buy a bottle to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ripe pomegranates actually have a pretty crazy juice yield, so there's no excuse for $22/pint grenadine except to take advantage of people with too much money and too little sense, which I guess isn't a bad thing.

e: Here's the patented press I used when I did grenadine from scratch at my first bar:
https://www.amazon.com/CO-Z-Commerc...rus+press&psc=1

they're full of poo poo

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 13, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I thought for poms the best method was to give a quick blend to break up the juice pods or w/e and then strain?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

My company is launching next year and as lame as it sounds, I want to create a "corporate cocktail" for shits and giggles.
It's a joint venture -- the green company has put up 51% of the capital, and the red company has put up 49%. So already I have my colors and ratios.
When I think of green, Midori and Chartreuse are the first that come to mind. For red, campari, grenadine, or some sort of cherry/strawberry liqueur. Chambord and cassis are a bit too dark red.
Any suggestions? All I can come up with is a layered shot but that's not exactly a cocktail. Apparently it's possible to layer frozen cocktails as well, but I've never even tried that.

Doesn't have to be good or even drinkable. Considering the latter, a clear base should be fine as well.
I don't expect anyone to actually drink it ever. It's mostly just about nailing the colors.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 13, 2018

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Green/Red the first thing that comes to mind is a sangria float in a margarita. You'd have to work to make it real green, and probably have to stir in the float to half of it to get it red enough.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

My company is launching next year and as lame as it sounds, I want to create a "corporate cocktail" for shits and giggles.
It's a joint venture -- the green company has put up 51% of the capital, and the red company has put up 49%. So already I have my colors and ratios.
When I think of green, Midori and Chartreuse are the first that come to mind. For red, campari, grenadine, or some sort of cherry/strawberry liqueur. Chambord and cassis are a bit too dark red.
Any suggestions? All I can come up with is a layered shot but that's not exactly a cocktail. Apparently it's possible to layer frozen cocktails as well, but I've never even tried that.

Doesn't have to be good or even drinkable. Considering the latter, a clear base should be fine as well.
I don't expect anyone to actually drink it ever. It's mostly just about nailing the colors.

Luxardo sangue morlacco liqueur

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

That stuff is even darker than the things he suggested were too red tho?

Just do a layered Midori/Campari shot

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If you don’t care that it tastes good or is a cocktail then use food coloring. I’m kind of confused what your goal is.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
As long as the glassware is made out of duct tape

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
You could also do two mini cocktails designed to be drunk together. Green chartreuse and lime, and Campari and OJ or something. Or like a Banderita - shot of blanco tequila, lime, and sangrita.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Red and green Jello shots.

A pair of drinks that go together does seem likelier to leave you with something drinkable. If there's a sufficiently red vermouth out there, maybe a Bijou with the Chartreuse in one glass and the vermouth in the other.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Plus, if the layering doesn’t work right, red and green makes brown. Probably not the look you want.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's the ideal beer for a Camparty?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Citrus radler.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Cheap lager. High Life. Coors. Gansett.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's not a camparty if it's not highlife

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've had a good time using Session for a camparty.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

That's great but it's not a camparty

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
With it getting colder, I'm returning to the Chub and Amaro Montenegro. There's no good name here.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
La Scozzese Vita?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Was on vacation in Hawaii and this guy at a farmers market had kaffir limes he was just giving away. Promptly got all the best ones and made a syrup from the peels, took it home in a plastic bottle. Didn't have my nice peeler with me so I got a lot of pith in too. It kind of hits bittersweet upfront but you get the nice perfumed taste more on the finish.

What to use it in? I'll probably just fold into my personal modified mai tai recipe that has Agricole Blanc Rhum as the main base but other ideas could be cool too.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I've always found makrut limes to work best in drinks that have lighter flavors (gin, white rum, ect). Makes great daiquiris and the likes.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Just stir that with your agricole and some lime juice and make some ti punch.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

wormil posted:

I mostly drink whiskey and am out of touch with other liquor brands. Going to do Margaritas again this weekend. In the past I used to buy 1800 but my buddy didn't want that so we got Cabo Wabo which I do like but if I can save a few bucks that would good. So basically what are some good tequilas in that price range. Or maybe 1800 is the best bargain tequila? I saw that Jose Cuervo has some agave. Lots of other brands too.

Don't drink too many margaritas but these are good blancos for the money if you're looking to mix:
  • Jimador ~ $13
  • Cabrito ~ $13; grandfather's personal favorite
  • Hornitos ~ $15
  • Gran Centenario ~ $20; personal favorite
  • (Jose Cuervo) Tradicional ~ $25; classic
  • 1800 ~ $25; safe play
And if you want to get fancy with your mixing:
  • Don Julio ~ $30
  • Tres Generaciones ~ $35; dad's preference
  • Herradura ~ $45; mother's favorite
  • Siete Leguas ~ $45
  • Azulejos ~ $50

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
i use jimador and think it does perfectly fine as a margarita

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
wait this is a conversation from six months ago

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was wanting to make a "Sierra Madre Martini" inspired by Fallout: New Vegas. I'm angling toward 100 proof vodka, Tanqueray 10, absinthe, and orange bitters with an orange slice for garnish. My question is specifically about getting the Cloud in. I would want to scorch something with a blowtorch and let the glass fill with smoke, but I'm not sure what kind of smoke works with that flavor combination.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Maybe a peach or pear wood to add some sweetness? Alternatively, walnut's got a nice bitterness if you want to build on the bitter flavors that can be there in the gin and the orange. I'd stick away from hickory or mesquite; they're going to just gently caress it up with heavy faux-bacon flavors that won't work with the less savory stuff you're doing.

e: Alder or cherry might be nice too; they're both subtler woods that tend to be used for more delicate flavors, but I've never tried using either with basically anything.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Whalley posted:

Maybe a peach or pear wood to add some sweetness? Alternatively, walnut's got a nice bitterness if you want to build on the bitter flavors that can be there in the gin and the orange. I'd stick away from hickory or mesquite; they're going to just gently caress it up with heavy faux-bacon flavors that won't work with the less savory stuff you're doing.

e: Alder or cherry might be nice too; they're both subtler woods that tend to be used for more delicate flavors, but I've never tried using either with basically anything.

I'll experiment with some of those. Another goon suggested I char orange peels instead, but I need to see how much smoke actually comes off.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Shell out the money for a good tequila please. Even for mixing. The cheaper tequilas are incredibly environmentally and economically exploitative in their production and business methods.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Fart Car '97 posted:

Shell out the money for a good tequila please. Even for mixing. The cheaper tequilas are incredibly environmentally and economically exploitative in their production and business methods.

What do you recommend?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

Is Lunazul an evil tequila? It's my go-to for blancos.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Siembra Azul is the gold standard imo. In the $30 range

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Lunazul is owned by Heaven Hill. They’re pretty decent.

Tequila in and of itself is environmentally destructive. Just don’t use that trash agave syrup

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
http://www.rudotecnico.com/index.html

I love Rudo Tequila so much.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
So, what’s the go-to whiskey for an old fashioned? I’ve been drinking it this week with a Bulleit Rye, but some people suggest bourbon.

But, to be fair, people can’t even agree on how many dashes of angostura bitters or if there’s fruit in it or not.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rye is the best whiskey and the most traditional for it, so :shrug:

I have a port question. What does one do with port? Got a bottle of ruby for splashing into the turkey day gravy, 100% required, and now my wife and I are just...sipping it chilled. It's actually really tasty that way and probably we can get through the whole bottle, but is there anything people would suggest for a relatively cheap bottle of ruby porto?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

silvergoose posted:

I have a port question. What does one do with port? Got a bottle of ruby for splashing into the turkey day gravy, 100% required, and now my wife and I are just...sipping it chilled. It's actually really tasty that way and probably we can get through the whole bottle, but is there anything people would suggest for a relatively cheap bottle of ruby porto?

You could make gløgg. But yeah, nothing wrong with just drinking the stuff as-is.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

virinvictus posted:

So, what’s the go-to whiskey for an old fashioned? I’ve been drinking it this week with a Bulleit Rye, but some people suggest bourbon.

I make most of my OF's with Redemption Bourbon. It's not at all fancy or storied (Midwest Grain Products in Indiana) but it has a mash bill (75% corn and 21% rye) that I've found favorable when making an Old Fashioned.

Redemption also makes a 'rye-forward' bourbon that is 60% corn, 36% rye, and 4% barley for a similar price (~$25-30).

silvergoose posted:

I have a port question. What does one do with port?

Since we're on the topic, you can make a Port Old Fashioned by substituting 0.25 - 0.50 oz of Port for bourbon/rye. A local bar in the area recently had a Sherry Old Fashioned that I thought was tasty.

If you're into maple syrup in your cocktails, I've heard great things about Saveur's Second Circle.
  • 2 oz. bourbon
  • 1 oz. ruby port
  • 1 tsp. maple syrup
  • 1 dash Angostura bitters
  • 3 Luxardo cherries for garnish (optional)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

virinvictus posted:

But, to be fair, people can’t even agree on how many dashes of angostura bitters or if there’s fruit in it or not.

With a modern order, you can expect to get bourbon. Rye would have been one of the most common whiskeys back when the recipe was first written down in the 19th century, but today it's usually bourbon. A bourbon Old Fashioned comes out much milder, though if you mix it right it'll still have a kick. I've tried introducing two friends of mine to classic cocktails, and while they loved stuff like the Aviation and Paper Plane they had trouble getting through an Old Fashioned. The amount of liquor isn't really different, but there's not as much dilution so it comes off strong.

The fruit is sort of a travesty brought along by the end of Prohibition. There were a few pre-Prohibition recipes that involved fruit, but they definitely weren't common. By the 1960s, an Old Fashioned was practically a fruit salad and could be topped up with carbonated water or even lemon-lime soda, giving you a weak and fruity drink instead of the morning pick-me-up it started as. The Old Fashioned is generally a very bold, liquor-forward drink with few ingredients.

I would recommend you start with the classic and then start experimenting from there:

* 2 oz. whiskey
* 1 sugar cube (or 1 or 2 teaspoons of simple syrup)
* 2 or 3 dashes of bitters

If using a sugar cube, place it at the bottom of the glass, soak it with 2 or 3 drops of bitters, and muddle it with a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon until it's nice and crushed up. If using syrup, just add it with the rest of the liquid ingredients. Drop in a large ice cube (always use a big 2-inch ice cube that fills the glass so it melts slower, keeping the drink cool without diluting it before you're done), add the liquid, and stir for about 20 or 30 seconds. If you used sugar and don't want it at the bottom of the glass, mix it in your shaker tin and strain it into a serving glass. The ice serves as the dilution without making the drink too weak.

From there, you can start experimenting. My favorite bar uses demerara syrup, which has a more caramel-like taste than white sugar without the molasses flavor of brown sugar. For a garnish, a lemon twist is good because the scent of the lemon as you drink works well with the taste of the sweetened whiskey.

And you can riff on it further and replace the whiskey entirely; when Jerry Thomas wrote his bar manual in 1862, the Old Fashioned was just a "whiskey cocktail" and you could make the exact same recipe with brandy or gin (especially something like Bols Genever, which has a maltier flavor like the missing link between whiskey and gin). You can make an "Improved" cocktail by adding a few drops of Luxardo Maraschino and absinthe. The brandy and gin cocktails from Thomas added a few drops of Cointreau, and there's no reason you can't add that to a whiskey one. Then you can mess around with stuff like mezcal and tequila. Try different types of bitters, like orange bitters instead of Angostura or Scrappy's Cardamom Bitters.

For the whiskey, I say just try stuff. Everything from Larceny to Jack Daniels to Old Grand-Dad have been used. "Best" is going to be subjective to your taste in whiskey.