Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

GoldenNugget posted:

Watch out, Hero 616s leak quite a bit.
Now I am worried about that. While drawing out some stuff, I noticed a huge ink blob form on the... feed channel, if I understand right: the plastic below and behind the needle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
You'll find ink all over the section and in the cap. Also, the ink in the cap'll seep through the band for the clip, so don't think it'll stay contained for terribly long. Keep tissues with you, maybe.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

GoldenNugget posted:

Watch out, Hero 616s leak quite a bit.

I bought a 10-pack of them a while ago. Whenever I'm feeling masochistic, I'll ink one up and take it into work. My latest one exploded all over my desk last week.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Ugh. It looks like it runs dry over a few hours, and then it rejuvenates by beading up.

What's a good ratio of BSB to water? This is a little too intense for me as-is.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Part of the fountain pen learning curve for me has been realizing that you straight up can't use cheap-rear end notebooks anymore. You have to get used to using like the 5 for 10 campus staple-bound notebooks on amazon or Rhodia or Clairfontaine if you aren't making your own out of whatever printer paper doesn't absorb too much ink.

It's a total pain in the rear end but in the end it's worth it if you write a lot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Baystate blue is pretty, but it's a gigantic pain in the rear end and I don't know why people put it in everyday pens.

I've never had any problems with Heart of Darkness.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Swagger Dagger posted:

Part of the fountain pen learning curve for me has been realizing that you straight up can't use cheap-rear end notebooks anymore. You have to get used to using like the 5 for 10 campus staple-bound notebooks on amazon or Rhodia or Clairfontaine if you aren't making your own out of whatever printer paper doesn't absorb too much ink.

It's a total pain in the rear end but in the end it's worth it if you write a lot.

I did get 3 Rhodia notepads, and I just started writing in one tonight. It was really great. The scratchiness of writing with this Hero 616 was gone, and it no longer bleeded through. I was very surprised with just how well it held up.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does Noodler's Bay State Blue saturate pages much more aggressively than, say, the Pilot blue/black cartridge ink I was using before? With the Pilot ink and my cheap-rear end notebook, I'd get spots where I held the pen down for a moment--usually at the beginning of letters and whatnot. With the Noodler's, even the lines go right through.

The best affordable safe inks guaranteed to work, not mess up any pens, and wash out of stained shirts are all Waterman inks. Standard blue inks like Quink washable blue, Pelikan blue, or Montblanc blue are also convenient for general use.

If you want fancier but also nice inks, Pilot Iroshizuku inks are pricy but excellent.

If you want waterproof inks I actually recommend Rohrer&Klinger waterproof blue or Pelikan blue-black because unlike most waterproof inks (cough montblanc cough every registrar's ink cough) they don't tend to clog unused pens after a few days.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Swagger Dagger posted:

xxf and xf nibs are my friends. I do have Rhodia for letters and most of my journals are $10 (Japan makes the BEST stationery). Clairefontaine is nice but I hated the long dry times. The downside ofc is when paper quality varies and I have ghosting on every other page or not.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If you want cheap notebooks that resist bleeding/feathering to surprising degree look for paper made in India. There's a dollar store near me that sells 120 sheet lined notebooks for $1.25 that work with just about everything except my most aggressive inks (hi Levenger!).

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I actually have some staples filler paper (in the weird-rear end 8x10.5" size) that works astonishingly well with fountain pen inks. Like, "dip pen with noodler's and garbage pen control so it takes a half-hour to dry but still doesn't bleed through" astonishingly well. It still shows through a bit, like if I really lay into it with a brush pen (or if I hold a sheet up to the light), but its otherwise weirdly well-behaved. Doesn't feather terribly much under that ridiculous inkload either.

It might be from a few years back, when people were recommending staples' various comp notebooks (particularly the bagasse ones) as being cheap and fountain-pen friendly. It's very nice for my stray thoughts or whatever, aside from a huge pile of looseleaf being a less than neat storage format.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Swagger Dagger posted:

You have to get used to using like the 5 for 10 campus staple-bound notebooks on amazon

I'm glad to hear these are good for fountain pens because I ordered some the other day.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Zenostein posted:

I actually have some staples filler paper (in the weird-rear end 8x10.5" size) that works astonishingly well with fountain pen inks. Like, "dip pen with noodler's and garbage pen control so it takes a half-hour to dry but still doesn't bleed through" astonishingly well. It still shows through a bit, like if I really lay into it with a brush pen (or if I hold a sheet up to the light), but its otherwise weirdly well-behaved. Doesn't feather terribly much under that ridiculous inkload either.

It might be from a few years back, when people were recommending staples' various comp notebooks (particularly the bagasse ones) as being cheap and fountain-pen friendly. It's very nice for my stray thoughts or whatever, aside from a huge pile of looseleaf being a less than neat storage format.

Staples has a sugar cane paper that behaves astonishingly well with fountain pen inks.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Staples has a sugar cane paper that behaves astonishingly well with fountain pen inks.

Staples Sustainable Earth. The notebooks and printer paper I've tried are quite smooth, the lined filler paper isn't.

Anyways, in funnier news Hero/Wing Sung got around to copying the Pilot 78G - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Fresh-...AAAAOSw5IJWgU~0

Apparently the fittings are pretty much identical, and the nibs, sections, feeds, caps and bodies are interchangeable between the WIng Sung and the 78G but the cartridge fit is a little wider . They even engraved "Super Quality" on the nibs and even copied the (truly terrible) design of the CON-50/CON-40. Kinda strange pen to make a duplicate of, but whatever sells I suppose.

I would have to say that a fully transparent demonstrator version of a 78G is enticing, though.

Edit: Apparently Hero/Wing Sung bought the machinery from Pilot since the 78G is discontinued.

grack fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 8, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh, this talk about Staples paper explains why my work notebook has been taking my fountain pens without much of fuss. They're Staples brand. And I just bought these Rhodias!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

grack posted:

Anyways, in funnier news Hero/Wing Sung got around to copying the Pilot 78G - http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Fresh-...AAAAOSw5IJWgU~0

I just skimmed that listing so maybe I missed it but are they also doing the same B/stub nib as the 78G?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nope, just F and EF nibs. If they are compatible with Pilot nibs (which from what I can tell they are) you can probably pull a nib from a Plumix and install that.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just bought a couple Plumix to pull the nibs from lol. I got some of the retro pop Metros and need to outfit them with something less boring so I got those and a Penmanship for the EF nib. I think I'm still going to grab another real 78G for the gold-tone BB nib and possibly one for an extra B, because I have one but it's in the pen I use for BSB and is really stained.

Since I have a shitload of Pilot pens and nibs at this point, I'm interested in the interchangeability with those Hero bodies but other than the demonstrator it's hard to beat the retro pop Metros. They're so pretty :allears:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 8, 2016

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

How to wait a while to see the price go down.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I really like the B5 Mnemosyne memo notebooks for work stuff. They're pricey at around $13 for 80 pages but I don't write a ton and they've handled every dumb pen/ink combination I've thrown at them.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

RichterIX posted:

I really like the B5 Mnemosyne memo notebooks for work stuff. They're pricey at around $13 for 80 pages but I don't write a ton and they've handled every dumb pen/ink combination I've thrown at them.

That's exactly what I use for my work notebooks -- I've got a stash of them in a drawer because I tend to add one to an order when I'm not getting much. They're around $6.50 at Goulet and $7.50 at MyMaido -- much more reasonable prices than JetPens or Amazon.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I fold wasted sheets of copy paper in half because I'm too cheap to buy nice paper and am usually just using it for scratch that's going into the trash when I'm done. To be fair the regular staples copy paper isn't bad -- I rarely have any feathering although bleedthrough isn't something I pay much attention to because it's all printed on one side already lol

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Any of you guys have a favorite pen roll or other pen carrying case? My swanky new promotion will have me actually writing things by hand to send to people on occasion; I'm in the market for something to carry in my fancy pens so all of my new peers know what a smug anachronistic rear end in a top hat I am. The girlfriend has one of the Aston Leather 10 pen cases but I'm not too fond of it because it doesn't really keep the pens from touching inside the case.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

NeurosisHead posted:

Any of you guys have a favorite pen roll or other pen carrying case? My swanky new promotion will have me actually writing things by hand to send to people on occasion; I'm in the market for something to carry in my fancy pens so all of my new peers know what a smug anachronistic rear end in a top hat I am. The girlfriend has one of the Aston Leather 10 pen cases but I'm not too fond of it because it doesn't really keep the pens from touching inside the case.

Pilot Pensembles are the objectively superior pen condom. Very nice leather, easy to open/close with the leather string yet don't tend to open themselves, surprisingly wear-resistant, and the multi-pen models completely prevent pens from scratching against each other. Will fit everything up to Montblanc 149 size.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/penroom/item/26412/ is the 5 pen + cartridge pocket version used in the real world,

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/komamono-honpo/item/psr1-01-dbn/ is the single pen :agesilaus: version.

I've had both the single pen version and the older five pen version (without the cartridge pocket) for three years and they're worth every penny.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I use the single-pen version for one of my pens and can confirm.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

NeurosisHead posted:

Any of you guys have a favorite pen roll or other pen carrying case?

The PenHabit guy (who was a year behind me in high school, small world) reviewed a couple NockCo products over the weekend. Their pen roll looks rather inelegant, but practical, while their three pen case seems pretty nice for that sort of case.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am trying to repurpose old glasses cases for my Hero 616s myself. I just need some of that gray foamy stuff that I apparently can get off of Amazon.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If you have old slip-in glasses cases, often made out of leather, they usually make perfect pen cases for one or two pens.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I use an old metal glasses case. I didn't pad it, I just put more pens in there so they don't rattle around as much.

I also don't have anything particularly nice.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I am in love with Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris. I can afford it more often than I can Shin-Kai and it's been great for stuff at work. I also tried Diamine blue-black but it seems to dry almost completely black.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My Hero 616 will jam up while writing with Bay State Blue. I have to give it a quick shot under the faucet to get it flowing again. Is there something I should be tweaking? As it stands, I'm using BSB at 100% concentration, and it's obliterating my junky paper. It looks like I could dilute it all the way to 50% without a major difference in color or shade, so I was planning to dilute it anyways. I'm assuming it will flow better too if it's thinner.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

You can definitely try a 1:1 dilution with tap water. It should help with both clogging and bleedthrough with your notebooks.

In general, adding water to ink makes it less "wet", as it increases surface tension and thus retards capillary action required for a fountain pen to work. However, if the ink is so saturated that it's actually clogging your pens (which can definitely happen with BSB) it can help. It also makes the pen put down less ink on paper, which should help with feathering and bleed.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I use one of these LIHIT Lab pen cases, it's the perfect size to hold a few pens/pencils, and my graphing calculator.

http://www.amazon.com/LIHIT-LAB-Case-Orange-A7551-4/dp/B004WMWBPY/

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

blowfish posted:

Pilot Pensembles are the objectively superior pen condom. Very nice leather, easy to open/close with the leather string yet don't tend to open themselves, surprisingly wear-resistant, and the multi-pen models completely prevent pens from scratching against each other. Will fit everything up to Montblanc 149 size.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/penroom/item/26412/ is the 5 pen + cartridge pocket version used in the real world,

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/komamono-honpo/item/psr1-01-dbn/ is the single pen :agesilaus: version.

I've had both the single pen version and the older five pen version (without the cartridge pocket) for three years and they're worth every penny.

Yeah those are nice as gently caress and not unreasonably priced, considering. Thanks for the advice, friends!

unicorn dreams
Feb 6, 2015
I just got my 2nd pen (TWSBI Eco) and 2 bottles of ink. Do y'all pen pros recommend that I apply the silicone before filling the pen up for the 1st time? :3:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

unicorn dreams posted:

I just got my 2nd pen (TWSBI Eco) and 2 bottles of ink. Do y'all pen pros recommend that I apply the silicone before filling the pen up for the 1st time? :3:

I took mine apart when I got it and it seemed to be already be greased and sealing great. Could always fill it with water as a quick check if you want though.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

unicorn dreams posted:

It shouldn't need it but it wouldn't hurt if you want to.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mr. Despair posted:

I use one of these LIHIT Lab pen cases, it's the perfect size to hold a few pens/pencils, and my graphing calculator.

http://www.amazon.com/LIHIT-LAB-Case-Orange-A7551-4/dp/B004WMWBPY/

I also have one of these, it's nice and doesn't cost much.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Swagger Dagger posted:

I also have one of these, it's nice and doesn't cost much.

oh hey, me too. I didn't click on the link at first and forgot that was the brand I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a TWSBI with an italic nib and it's a little dry. Requires some pressure to write well. (Using Heart of Darkness, which is fine in all my other pens). How can I make it wetter?