Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

GoatShaver posted:

Not sure what you mean - two are logged in currently on that particular box.

There are other ways to connect to a box besides RDP. For example, if you open up services.msc and right click the root node of the tree in the left pane, you can hit Connect to Another Computer and log into the other server to see services without actually RDPing or kicking anyone off.

Since this is a new page, time for some content:
I've been at my job 6 months, and I've been assigned nothing to do, despite asking for a project. I've been ignored by my other team members, and talked over in meetings because they know more, being 20 years older than me. They rarely say anything other than "hi" or "bye". I sit in a tiny fabric box staring at grey walls and a grey ceiling.

Why is it, now that I've given my notice to :yotj: out to somewhere (hopefully) better, do they all suddenly want my help completing their work? Is it because they want someone to blame when I'm gone? I can only assume so.

Urit fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GoatShaver posted:

Not sure what you mean - two are logged in currently on that particular box.

From your own workstation, ->Control panel, administrative tools, computer management. -> action menu -> connect to another computer -> Services.

You don't need an RDP session to handle services. Pretty crucial bit of info if you plan to manage a windows environment.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
2012's Server Manager makes all of this a lot more apparent, I think, and that's a good thing.

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

Urit posted:

There are other ways to connect to a box besides RDP. For example, if you open up services.msc and right click the root node of the tree in the left pane, you can hit Connect to Another Computer and log into the other server to see services without actually RDPing or kicking anyone off.

I've been at my job 6 months, and I've been assigned nothing to do, despite asking for a project. I've been ignored by my other team members, and talked over in meetings because they know more, being 20 years older than me. They rarely say anything other than "hi" or "bye". I sit in a tiny fabric box staring at grey walls and a grey ceiling.

Why is it, now that I've given my notice to :yotj: out to somewhere (hopefully) better, do they all suddenly want my help completing their work? Is it because they want someone to blame when I'm gone? I can only assume so.

Sickening posted:

From your own workstation, ->Control panel, administrative tools, computer management. -> action menu -> connect to another computer -> Services.

You don't need an RDP session to handle services. Pretty crucial bit of info if you plan to manage a windows environment.

Oh oh oh oh, I forgot all about that. Lack of sleep/surplus of studying other stuff is taking its toll. Thanks for the reminder!

Turns out, though, that two datastores have some corrupt data in there which was causing it. More migrating...

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

AlternateAccount posted:

2012's Server Manager makes all of this a lot more apparent, I think, and that's a good thing.

Except for the $150 question: Why do I need to buy individual CALS for remote desktop :gonk: They are not included in my volume licensing which makes it a pain to explain

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress CALs forever. You've paid for the server software and you've paid for the client software.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

psexec \\computername sc start whateverfuckingservice

I really enjoy pstools.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Caged posted:

gently caress CALs forever. You've paid for the server software and you've paid for the client software.

Amen. Very expensive sheets of paper.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Pissing me off today: having to watch an awesome person walk because there was no room for advancement.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

Moey posted:

Congrats!

Not sure what you are coming from (have not been keeping up much), but what are you moving from and moving to?

Going from a part time job chucking furniture to a T1/T2 combined support job. I've been told that I can get into a Jr. Sys. Admin job when I get the certs and work with the admin group there. So I'm pretty happy right now as I've been wanting to move beyond Help desk and now I have a pretty good opportunity.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Gratz that sounds p sweet I hope it stays that way! Don't forego any opportunities to learn something new and assist people doing things that scare you, pretty soon you'll be the guy explaining it to someone else.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Lysandus posted:

None of you can hold a candle to Fizz Buzz Enterprise Edition

There's always 2fast2fizzbuzz. :rice:

sfwarlock posted:

Pissing me off today: having to watch an awesome person walk because there was no room for advancement.

I've been considering doing this for a long time because my current workplace is a mismanaged mess and there's been no real progression in my work for over a year, but I'm not sure where to go or what to do next, so I've mostly just been stagnating and getting burned out. :(

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

sfwarlock posted:

That's been us recently. Couple of IT people, even our admin/secretary person left because they kept adding responsibilities for accounting, but didn't want to pay beyond someone to answer the phone and watch a door. When they asked for more money, they were told that the position didn't have room for advancement because no one thought about it before, and told the person to wait until they do the end of year review.

Zamujasa posted:

I've been considering doing this for a long time because my current workplace is a mismanaged mess and there's been no real progression in my work for over a year, but I'm not sure where to go or what to do next, so I've mostly just been stagnating and getting burned out. :(

If my department wasn't me and 2 other people, I'd think we work for the same place.
:smith::respek::smith:

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 24, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CitizenKain posted:

When they asked for more money, they were told that the position didn't have room for advancement because no one thought about it before, and told the person to wait until they do the end of year review.

Ugh, "We only do raises at the end of the year/during performance reviews" is the most cowardly excuse to be a cheap shithead.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I can usually sort of understand code if it's logically structured, obviously there's something else going on with this guy. What's it doing? Something like trying to simultaneously do all the numbers at once?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I can usually sort of understand code if it's logically structured, obviously there's something else going on with this guy. What's it doing? Something like trying to simultaneously do all the numbers at once?

Yes, through threads, then each thread is printing it out character by character then yielding, with 100 threads running concurrently, they all overlap (you'd normally handle this with a mutex each would lock so only one at a time was writing).

It then waits for then all to finish and exits. Without waiting for join, it would invoke them all and exit before they calculated/finished, after some (but not others) may print some characters, or maybe none, leading to totally undefined behavior

evol262 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 25, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

This is magical :allears:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

evobatman posted:

Pissing me off: Two work weekends this month, one in the north sea, one in Scotland, where I think I'm going to be just carrying carboard boxes. Since these boxes contain desktop computers, it's an IT job.

Not pissing me off: The paycheck I'm gonna get in June from this.

Back from Scotland, and in addition to carrying boxes, I was over and under desks all day plugging and unplugging computers. My feet, knees, hips, back, neck and clothes are all ruined.

I bought this, don't give me any poo poo for it:

Edit, just to clarify: My company paid for all the costs for me to go to Scotland from Friday to Sunday to unplug computers at one desk and then have someone else carry (most) of them to another building where I then plug them in again. And my work is done at weekend rate, which is 100%. I don't mind, because it's going into my house fund, but they couldn't hire a couple of kids from a temp agency for whatever they pay you in Scotland?

evobatman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 25, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Urit posted:

So you literally had to do nothing? I'd be pretty drat cool with that, gives you more time to study up on things.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've been in similar situations, and while you do learn to make the best of it, it's boring, makes work unfulfilling, and makes you wonder if you're going to have a job soon. I don't recommend it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dogstile posted:

So you literally had to do nothing? I'd be pretty drat cool with that, gives you more time to study up on things.

The only time I would be okay with this situation is if it had a clear end in sight. "You're done with your part and can't start on anything else until team 2 gets their part finished" or something. Even then I would be looking for ways to help team 2 or starting a new branch on my "completed" part and trying to squeeze in one more "wouldn't it be cool if" feature if I had the freedom to do so. Having nothing to do for an undefined amount of time would have me looking for new jobs because you drat well know as soon as the bosses figure poo poo out, they're going to give me approximately 5 seconds to get out of the building.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

evobatman posted:

And my work is done at weekend rate, which is 100%.

Great so you get paid the same as weekdays :smuggo:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Great so you get paid the same as weekdays :smuggo:

You know what I meant :v:

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

guppy posted:

I've been in similar situations, and while you do learn to make the best of it, it's boring, makes work unfulfilling, and makes you wonder if you're going to have a job soon. I don't recommend it.
Yeah, my current position has been like this a lot, and while it has given a lot of time for studying, it definitely has made me fearful about job security. Things should be hopefully picking up soon, but I don't feel like I'm too useful at the moment, and I do worry that I'll be let go before my apprenticeship ends.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

I'm right there with you. The job market where I live is atrocious which doesn't help the situation. I've been considering a career change but can't decide on a new path.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Che Delilas posted:

The only time I would be okay with this situation is if it had a clear end in sight. "You're done with your part and can't start on anything else until team 2 gets their part finished" or something. Even then I would be looking for ways to help team 2 or starting a new branch on my "completed" part and trying to squeeze in one more "wouldn't it be cool if" feature if I had the freedom to do so. Having nothing to do for an undefined amount of time would have me looking for new jobs because you drat well know as soon as the bosses figure poo poo out, they're going to give me approximately 5 seconds to get out of the building.

Depending on what they hired you for, they might want someone in reserve.

poo poo that's pissing me off tonight? Customers who want me to set up their stupid loving PC's but keep kicking me off every other PC in the practice so I can't grab the printer settings/ports to set them up and the place has its phones turned off so I can't just call them and tell them to cut that poo poo out. The place was meant to be closed half an hour ago, I shouldn't be wrestling with them so I can use a PC for five seconds. Its weird too, I looked at a blank desktop for a couple minutes to see if it was in use, nothing moved until I moved the mouse and opened a window. Once I did that, they instantly close the window.

Let me work dammit!

Quickedit: Oh, nevermind, i can just use the print server to grab the settings. Whoops, lot of anger for nothing.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

dogstile posted:

Depending on what they hired you for, they might want someone in reserve.

poo poo that's pissing me off tonight? Customers who want me to set up their stupid loving PC's but keep kicking me off every other PC in the practice so I can't grab the printer settings/ports to set them up and the place has its phones turned off so I can't just call them and tell them to cut that poo poo out. The place was meant to be closed half an hour ago, I shouldn't be wrestling with them so I can use a PC for five seconds. Its weird too, I looked at a blank desktop for a couple minutes to see if it was in use, nothing moved until I moved the mouse and opened a window. Once I did that, they instantly close the window.

Let me work dammit!

Quickedit: Oh, nevermind, i can just use the print server to grab the settings. Whoops, lot of anger for nothing.

Yep, been there. We use running documentation via OneNote at our company now for poo poo like this, that way we never even have to touch a server or workstation. All printer information and addresses go into the notebook, if for some reason it doesn't work then take a look at the server

Any new client (ie: past 6 months) just has an automated setup. Printers mapped, shared drives attached, etc and it rules. We're rolling it out slowly to older clients, but I don't get to touch it at all. I just look like a wizard when I create an account in AD and the person logs on and already had every relevant printer, network drive, and web app shortcut on their computer. "WOW death .cab that's awesome thanks! :haw: "

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
So someone finally took a look into why all the backups are failing since Friday. Well now we know that our ESX liscences on our servers have expired :suicide:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

So someone finally took a look into why all the backups are failing since Friday. Well now we know that our ESX liscences on our servers have expired :suicide:

Huh? Were you running them in trial mode?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Apparently the story is that we'd worked with VMware to temporarily upgrade to perform a VMotion transfer when one of our Hosts failed or was failing. I'm not sure of the particulars or the technical just that it was done to enable VMotion. That upgrade license has expired at the end of last Friday.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

today is my last day and I am really not sure why people think saying "I'm going to call you when we need help" is a compliment, but well

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Departing users who express sentiments about how they don't believe anyone else on the team can do what they do or take over their work. You don't know what we're all capable of, and hey, YOU figured it out.
Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it just stinks of someone finding themselves too exceptional to replace.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Apparently the story is that we'd worked with VMware to temporarily upgrade to perform a VMotion transfer when one of our Hosts failed or was failing. I'm not sure of the particulars or the technical just that it was done to enable VMotion. That upgrade license has expired at the end of last Friday.

I did the temporary trial on a handful of hosts at an old job to get some SvMotion (before that was available in standard).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

today is my last day and I am really not sure why people think saying "I'm going to call you when we need help" is a compliment, but well

It's a compliment as long as they don't actually plan on doing it.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

It's a compliment as long as they don't actually plan on doing it.

And if they do plan on doing it, it's a great opportunity for work on the side.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Ticket came into our Remedy queue after level one took a look at it:

INC00000000045045

Monitor not working (Reported by client)

0918:00 RPD into client computer. Desktop looks fine. Issue resolved.

0945:00 Client called back to indicate that the monitor was still broken.

1000:00 RDP confirms computer is working fine. Transferring to level 2 for follow up.

1005:00 Called the client and confirmed that, yes, the monitor was not getting any power at all, I tested and replaced it.

(Issue loving resolved.)

(Holy poo poo, how the gently caress can RDP test if a monitor is working or not? loving idiots.)

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Often we get told that the monitor is not working, when in fact the whole PC is powered off.
Or we get told the computer is broken and nothing ever works etc and all that happened is someone bumped the power button on the monitor.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Varkk posted:

Often we get told that the monitor is not working, when in fact the whole PC is powered off.
Or we get told the computer is broken and nothing ever works etc and all that happened is someone bumped the power button on the monitor.

Yeah, I know. The client often gets the monitor and the desktop confused. But it was kind of fun to vent a little.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

tango alpha delta posted:

Yeah, I know. The client often gets the monitor and the desktop confused. But it was kind of fun to vent a little.
Or it could be they tried to call the user while remoting in, but since the computer at the user's desk doesn't work they're at someone else's desk and calling from another phone. But even then, you shouldn't resolve a ticket when you can't get confirmation from the user that the issue's really been resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

anthonypants posted:

Or it could be they tried to call the user while remoting in, but since the computer at the user's desk doesn't work they're at someone else's desk and calling from another phone. But even then, you shouldn't resolve a ticket when you can't get confirmation from the user that the issue's really been resolved.

You know what else I just can't get enough of? When clients walk up to my desk and say "Are you busy? This'll just take a minute..."

Cut a ticket or gently caress OFF.