Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Non Serviam posted:

I teach at a university level and, no, that's not the logic the students follow (or the logic that I follow when I dick around on my phone).
You feel that you have to be there, but then.. Ooooh, shiny.
Students can't decide what's vital and what isn't, since they are not familiar with the topics to begin with. If they were, they wouldn't be students.

I bet the kids in class not paying full attention do far better than the kids that just don't come to class to begin with. Paying attention isn't binary. full attention is always ideal but some shades of attention are better than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

I teach at a university level and, no, that's not the logic the students follow (or the logic that I follow when I dick around on my phone).
You feel that you have to be there, but then.. Ooooh, shiny.
Students can't decide what's vital and what isn't, since they are not familiar with the topics to begin with. If they were, they wouldn't be students.

Before laptops were a thing, students were doodling or daydreaming. Don't blame the laptop for something as old as time as "Students not paying attention in class."

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It's not that easy, I know a guy that runs a computer sales/service store, and for technical interviews he has a cart with two computers and the cheapest USB printer in the store. Less than 20% of applicants succeed at being able to successfully print from both computers after an hour.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Konstantin posted:

It's not that easy, I know a guy that runs a computer sales/service store, and for technical interviews he has a cart with two computers and the cheapest USB printer in the store. Less than 20% of applicants succeed at being able to successfully print from both computers after an hour.

Probably because people that can hook that poo poo up can do better than a retail job.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If you have the right printer it's a 2 click process to set up the printer and add it to 10,000 chromebooks if you want. If you haven't bought those printers it's a whole rigamarole, but the same is true of ipads, if you have a printer that does airprint then there is zero steps to print to one, if you don't good luck.
We are talking about schools, and school IT budgets. If you have a 7-year-old printer that's still doing its thing, you don't replace it.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We are talking about schools, and school IT budgets. If you have a 7-year-old printer that's still doing its thing, you don't replace it.

You know, the schools that have zero dollars for a network connected printer adapter, but plenty of money for 10k iPads and their service/support.

valnas
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Which high-end business printers are you referring to?

Ricoh's and Konica's typically don't ship with the PS support anymore, it's an extra option. Without a software upgrade you are literally SOL on a lot of stock models you would receive for events and such. I've don't conference's in various city's for some of our non profits and whenever we get donated equipment from their vendors it's literally a toss up if mac users will be able to print or not. We have migrated them all off using mac's as a result of the inflexibility. Maybe if they accomodated more drivers on their platform it'd be a non issue but, insular apple says nope.

If you were doing your office from scratch it's not a big issue to accomodate.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

call to action posted:

You know, the schools that have zero dollars for a network connected printer adapter, but plenty of money for 10k iPads and their service/support.

I mean, yes? Schools being able to find funding or grants for one thing but not some other thing it needs is pretty much the core history of education technology funding. For a long time one of the schools I worked at had fiberoptics run all through the building that terminated in 10 year old computers with 10mps ethernet cards because the stars lined up for grants to give us all the money in the world to spend on network infrastructure and no money at all to plug anything into it. Another got a grant for 4 times as many monitors as we even had computers and the attic is still full of old 720p monitors.

Being able to get state of the art ipads and nothing to go along with it OR state of the art ipad infrastructure and no ipads are both exactly how school funding works. Schools never just get a big chunk of money and "spend this however sounds best" everything is always conditional money bookmarked for this or that.

valnas
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

call to action posted:

I work for a private school in the Bronx who basically has a non existant tech budget. we do all their work pro-bono and try to acquire as many donations as possible.

Microsoft o365 has accomodated almost all their needs san's hardware. However as far as pc donations go, we literally get bucket loads of macbooks and ipads donated from public schools but never any PC's.

Most often, they were acquired via government and state level grants to schools, given to students for personal use, and then phased out of use in less than 1 year. The vast majority were used for testing. They come with some junk login and a lockout browser for taking tests. If you wonder why schools have apple's, it's not cause they are an efficiently priced education tool. it's cause apple knows how to get subsidized and lobby.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

valnas posted:

Most often, they were acquired via government and state level grants to schools, given to students for personal use, and then phased out of use in less than 1 year. The vast majority were used for testing. They come with some junk login and a lockout browser for taking tests. If you wonder why schools have apple's, it's not cause they are an efficiently priced education tool. it's cause apple knows how to get subsidized and lobby.

ipads also go obsolete horribly fast. At the IT level. a lot of integration means "buy new ipad". if you have apple tvs to show ipads on smart boards or if you want to join an MDM or if you want integration with apple school management or whatever you just gotta ditch the old ipads and buy new ipads. My policy for schools is the obsolete ones drop to a lower grade that has less technology then when they get bumped again the old ones are just out. It makes ipads pretty wasteful. But it's not because ipads are useless. But for ipads upgrading means a new device.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

asdf32 posted:

Anyways modern jets are exceedingly complicated and have to plan for everything. One jet deals with a loss of both engines by popping out a windmil like a swiss army knife to power the flaps so it at least has a chance of gliding in for a landing. Those engineering teams have to think of everything and get it right and they generally do - most disasters require multiple things to go wrong.

FYI those are "Ram Air Trubines" or RATs for short. They are a fairly standard feature on modern commercial aircraft (though can be found all over the place) and are incredibly loud when spun up for testing.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I mostly take notes with pen and paper these days, because I find taking them on a laptop or a phone too distracting. It's really just to easy to check my email or facebook quickly, get engaged by something, and then lose chunks of the discussion. I also don't tend to LOOK at my notes much, so it doesn't matter if I'm not typing up every single thing verbatim. Just jotting down a couple quick ideas to give me an idea of what was discussed and cement that in my mind is usually enough.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Baby Babbeh posted:

I mostly take notes with pen and paper these days, because I find taking them on a laptop or a phone too distracting. It's really just to easy to check my email or facebook quickly, get engaged by something, and then lose chunks of the discussion. I also don't tend to LOOK at my notes much, so it doesn't matter if I'm not typing up every single thing verbatim. Just jotting down a couple quick ideas to give me an idea of what was discussed and cement that in my mind is usually enough.

wouldn't your life be better if you had grown up being taught how to manage the distractions instead?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
A printer that actually goddamn works would be a great thing to "disrupt."

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

WampaLord posted:

Before laptops were a thing, students were doodling or daydreaming. Don't blame the laptop for something as old as time as "Students not paying attention in class."

I'm not. It does, however, make it easier to get distracted. You have the whole world at your fingertips.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

wouldn't your life be better if you had grown up being taught how to manage the distractions instead?

I have relatively severe ADHD so not being so distractable would be hugely positive for me, yes. But I gotta work with the brain I was issued, unfortunately.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BarbarianElephant posted:

A printer that actually goddamn works would be a great thing to "disrupt."

The printer industry is the absolute scum sucking bottom of the consumer electronics barrel. It's a desperate, dying technology but I'd still like to see someone go in there and just annihilate everyone with a decent product with good support and marketing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Non Serviam posted:

I'm not. It does, however, make it easier to get distracted. You have the whole world at your fingertips.
I remember watching someone play KoF2000 while in lecture during my first year of college.

Normally when I got bored I'd doodle for a bit, or color in the edges of my notes. That guy took it to a whole other level.
(I'd argue that having the internet or chat rooms or vidjagames on tap probs makes it harder for you to break your inattentiveness).

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Yes you still need to print stuff in 2016. My desk at work is covered in printouts of block diagrams and schematics. An 11x17 is still more information dense and readable than the computer screen(s).

At home I have HP which has subscription plan for the ink. At first I thought this was BS but then I realized that it's easily worth $3/month or whatever it is to have a consistently reliable printer. So far it hasn't let me down and it's on HP if it does. It can print via email so everything is compatible with it (and has phone apps too).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

asdf32 posted:

An 11x17 is still more information dense and readable than the computer screen(s).

Why is that true? Do you feel that is an objective truth or is that just a thing you feel like is true for you? Do you think it's like writers that only write on typewriters because they always have done that, or do you think it's some technological thing where once screens get to XYZ dpi or contrast level or whatever a switch will flip and now screens will be better (the way digital film was long objectively worse than actual film, and now that is no longer meaningfully the case for most uses because a certain line was crossed in technological progress)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why is that true? Do you feel that is an objective truth or is that just a thing you feel like is true for you? Do you think it's like writers that only write on typewriters because they always have done that, or do you think it's some technological thing where once screens get to XYZ dpi or contrast level or whatever a switch will flip and now screens will be better (the way digital film was long objectively worse than actual film, and now that is no longer meaningfully the case for most uses because a certain line was crossed in technological progress)

Are you just playing the thread's contrarian rear end in a top hat at this point?
You went to bat for Twitter's bloated R&D budget, now for the idea that children should not practice writing with their hands, on paper, or print something.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Have you not read his posts from the last 10 years?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If your new product cannot address the needs of your prospective customers, it's their fault.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Non Serviam posted:

Are you just playing the thread's contrarian rear end in a top hat at this point?
You went to bat for Twitter's bloated R&D budget, now for the idea that children should not practice writing with their hands, on paper, or print something.

Twitter runs custom servers that serve millions of people and tweets being trivial doesn't make that task trivial.

People learn to write on whatever they grow up using and what you grew up on is no more or less virtuous or real than what your grandparents or grandkids use.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Re: print chat.
I don't know specifically about chromebooks, but I can print from my android phone to my 15 year old HP laser printer attached to an even older HP printserver (it only has a parallel port FFS) and it prints wirelessly pretty loving seemlessly. There is no computer involved.
I can't say if apple is any harder, but it sure as poo poo wasn't rocket science on a google product.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I work in interior/exterior design, engineering and manufacturing. No amount of 'its easier this way' will replace being able to sit down with another designer and a stack of the same study plan and draw all over them until we find a workable solution. There is literally no better way to do this than holding a pen and drawing on a piece of paper. loving about with a stylus or a wacom tablet will never be more efficient.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Byolante posted:

I work in interior/exterior design, engineering and manufacturing. No amount of 'its easier this way' will replace being able to sit down with another designer and a stack of the same study plan and draw all over them until we find a workable solution. There is literally no better way to do this than holding a pen and drawing on a piece of paper. loving about with a stylus or a wacom tablet will never be more efficient.

My experience as a writer and editor is that online/markup collaboration isn't as flexible or fast as scribbling all over the paper. However, when you can't be (or don't want to be) in the same room, online has its advantages. It takes me substantially longer to edit in a shared document than it does to do markup; on the other hand, it's almost certainly easier for the other person to read my tracked changes than it would be to read my scribbles. I think online markup redistributes the effort more fairly; it's trivial for the other person to race through doing accept/reject, as opposed to having to re-enter everything I said in scribbles.

A lot has to do with your generation, though. What one generation finds easy and natural the next finds tedious. My son sees utterly no point in cursive and writes faster in print, while I'm the reverse. Neither of us prefers handwriting to typing.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

call to action posted:

yes, this is a thing. Same goes for public libraries: they get a grant to spend on *something* but it's always things and not people/long term.
So you get money for iPads, Raspberry Pi's, 3D TV's, SMART-boards and what not, but not the money for training people, IT-Support or replacements/maintenance.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

IndustrialApe posted:

yes, this is a thing. Same goes for public libraries: they get a grant to spend on *something* but it's always things and not people/long term.
So you get money for iPads, Raspberry Pi's, 3D TV's, SMART-boards and what not, but not the money for training people, IT-Support or replacements/maintenance.

In general, the idea that grants are a replacement for long term mid level funding is stupid and bad.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Twitter runs custom servers that serve millions of people and tweets being trivial doesn't make that task trivial.

This is true, and was why I also didn't think the percentage was unusual, until someone posted facebook's numbers too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Doc Hawkins posted:

This is true, and was why I also didn't think the percentage was unusual, until someone posted facebook's numbers too.

Facebook is a money making monster, twitter is barely monetized. Percents are gonna shake up different.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

blowfish posted:

In general, the idea that grants are a replacement for long term mid level funding is stupid and bad.

on top of that, funding is usually tied to ridiculous demands as well because all government spending is deemed wasteful.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. AA Hazredstein posted:

If your new product cannot address the needs of your prospective customers, it's their fault.

Tbf printing is apparently not some esoteric feature that the person in charge of buying these things would overlook.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Facebook is a money making monster, twitter is barely monetized. Percents are gonna shake up different.

How does Facebook make money?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

From advertising.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That was also my conclusion, yes. I'm glad we're now all open in our agreement now that Twitter is a joke.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Again, nobody said that the contents of tweets was an issue. You keep parroting that as if it was true. It isn't. People had an issue with a bloated budget that dwarfs the one used by similar companies in terms of percentage of revenue.

As for writing, I can't believe you're saying teaching kids how to write without a computer is stupid, but here we are.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

asdf32 posted:

Random thing but I completely love the "Air Disasters" series on the smithsonian channel/youtube/netflix (it has a bunch of different names in different countries) which dissect plane crashes/accidents from the event to the ridiculously meticulous (and well funded) investigation that follows which almost always answers every last detail.

Anyways modern jets are exceedingly complicated and have to plan for everything. One jet deals with a loss of both engines by popping out a windmil like a swiss army knife to power the flaps so it at least has a chance of gliding in for a landing. Those engineering teams have to think of everything and get it right and they generally do - most disasters require multiple things to go wrong.

Good poo poo.

To add onto this: I don't think people realize how tightly regulated the commercial aircraft industry is. To get your aircraft FAA certified is an expensive and nontrivial process. Even the control systems on the aircraft have to meet certain standards.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

How does Facebook make money?

All kinds of piecemeal big-data and sponsored message services aimed at businesses but the big one that turned things around for them was auto-playing video ads.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Uber disrupts the Americans with Disabilities Act

quote:

The ADA was considered a landmark in bids for equal rights for the disabled. But both Uber and rival Lyft, which allow customers to use a cellphone app to pay drivers who use their own cars, have argued previously that they are technology, rather than transportation, firms and so aren’t subject to ADA mandates. The new suit also seeks a definitive ruling that the ADA does apply to Uber and similar companies.

Uber does offer a service called UberWAV, which allows would-be customers to locate vehicles with ramps or lifts. But Thursday’s suit says Uber’s mobile map frequently indicates that no such vehicles are available anywhere in or near Chicago.

The suit also alleges that Uber’s success in the Chicago market is threatening to reduce the fleet sizes of traditional cab companies, which are subject to stricter accessibility requirements.

Access Living’s president, Marca Bristo, says the legal action is “a fight to avoid losing ground, as Uber pushes out existing accessible transportation services, further limiting options for people with disabilities.”

In an attempt to demonstrate how hard it is for disabled people to utilize Uber, the suit cites data that Uber provided nearly 2 million rides in Chicago in June of last year alone. But it says Uber gave just 14 rides to motorized wheelchair users over a four-year period starting in 2011.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Well there are more black people than disableds. It's a net win.