Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
i, too, would type thousands of words over a period of months defending a video game when I "don't much care if people like it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

VictorianQueerLit posted:

i, too, would type thousands of words over a period of months defending a video game when I "don't much care if people like it"

You're on SA you loving idiot

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Dead space 3 was a lot of fun with a friend and the hallucinatory coop gimmick was very cool and surprising if you weren't expecting it. Besides, in the intro a scruffy general asks a grunt, "you do love the earth, don't you son?" before blowing both their brains out. That game really cracked us up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DebonaireD posted:

Dead space 3 was a lot of fun with a friend and the hallucinatory coop gimmick was very cool and surprising if you weren't expecting it. Besides, in the intro a scruffy general asks a grunt, "you do love the earth, don't you son?" before blowing both their brains out. That game really cracked us up.

It's a lot like RE6 where it sucks rear end but it's pretty drat fun to just sit back and play with a buddy. It's a bad game but I didn't hate it.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
Thinking about it long and hard, and I believe "HalfLife 2" should've been titled "Life"

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Doom 3 was a good game (especially the mid-part of the game where you go to Hell), as was the expansion pack. The ability to either hold a gun or a flashlight, but not both, was a cool idea.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

1redflag posted:

Doom 3 was a good game (especially the mid-part of the game where you go to Hell), as was the expansion pack. The ability to either hold a gun or a flashlight, but not both, was a cool idea.

it was good like thief 3 was good: not as good as the first two and a bit hampered by technology, but still a good game

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I liked doom3 too. People who give doom3 a hard time really need to try to play Deus Ex: Invisible War again. That right there is one dogshit video game.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
speaking of thief 3, after you add the mod that makes all the maps seamless like in thief 1 and 2, it's just as good as the first two are.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Doom 3 was hated because it wasnt at all in the spirit of the doom games before it. Just like doom 4 mightve been fine but it was some loving cover shooter and nobody who is enthusiastic about doom wants that poo poo. But yes doom 3 was actually a good horror game and its expansion was excellent

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

old beast lunatic posted:

I liked doom3 too. People who give doom3 a hard time really need to try to play Deus Ex: Invisible War again. That right there is one dogshit video game.

Invisible war was good in that it let you break the game right away, and a coffee company was the mastermind the whole time. It should have just been garbage fanfic/fan mod, would have been a better overall experience.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hot take: invisible war is a drat good game, esp considering they had to rewrite the entire graphics engine from scratch a month before release or some poo poo

the level design concessions they had to make to make levels fit in one loading area on the xbox were clever and made it kind of a never-ending series of deus ex stealth action vignettes

the fact that the world was noticeably different from the predecessor because time had passed and introduced new technologies and politics was really cool

a lot of the side quests are great/memorable like the coffee wars or anything to do with ng resonance

if it had had like three more months of dev time to iron out the bugs/fix the engine it would have been a genuine masterpiece

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

hot take: invisible war is a drat good game, esp considering they had to rewrite the entire graphics engine from scratch a month before release or some poo poo

the level design concessions they had to make to make levels fit in one loading area on the xbox were clever and made it kind of a never-ending series of deus ex stealth action vignettes

the fact that the world was noticeably different from the predecessor because time had passed and introduced new technologies and politics was really cool

a lot of the side quests are great/memorable like the coffee wars or anything to do with ng resonance

if it had had like three more months of dev time to iron out the bugs/fix the engine it would have been a genuine masterpiece

p. much the perfect post for this thread right here

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

I had fun with it and it has probably aged horribly, just like me. The story was fun, and the levels were good but not sprawling. I dunno, I have better memories of Invisible War than Bioshock Infinite.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I tried to play Invisible war like three or four times. Every single time I ran into some weird bug that just stopped me in my tracks. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

I'll admit that there are quality elements in Invisible war but god drat was switching to universal ammo with as little ammo as you get in the game a bad idea. I think your heavy weapons consumed like a whole clip a shot. That by itself kind of destroyed the game for me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

oh yeah i mean the ammo pool thing is an interesting idea that just loving sucks in practice like a lot of the rest of the game but it's still a memorable + cool experience overall

I tried to play Invisible war like three or four times. Every single time I ran into some weird bug that just stopped me in my tracks. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

i've never had a gamebreaking bug with it and i've played it on both console and pc but it's definitely bugged enough i don't doubt you at all. my favorite is that multitools start having a different item id or something like halfway through cairo so you end up with two goddamn stacks of them in your super limited inventory.

e: seriously though it's a game where you can bet on an underground greasel fighting ring and that is awesome

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 11, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sardonik posted:

I'll admit that there are quality elements in Invisible war but god drat was switching to universal ammo with as little ammo as you get in the game a bad idea. I think your heavy weapons consumed like a whole clip a shot. That by itself kind of destroyed the game for me.

I mean it's a fine idea. Wolf 3d used it fine and doom used a system that was pretty close.

It's just that unlike those games, deus ex is a sneaky game and lacks the swarms/big scary guys to make the heavy weapons worth the ammo cost. And that's before you factor in that they made the heavy weapons suck so bad.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

wait wtf is doom 4

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mandrel posted:

wait wtf is doom 4

the best thing since sliced bread, buddy

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Mandrel posted:

wait wtf is doom 4

Yea, I didn't understand what he was referencing either. I'm thinking he meant the Wolfenstein reboot which is kind of a cover shooter, but Doom 2016 was not a cover shooter at all.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Quake 4? Wasn't a cover shooter though.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah the cover shooter thing throws me. i can’t think of any game you could interpret at doom 4 that would be considered a cover shooter

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The original concept for Doom 4 was going to be a serious, gritty, "cinematic" shooter, believe it or not: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-13-heres-what-doom-looked-like-when-it-was-called-doom-4

Then id completely scrapped it and made Doom 2016 and thank gently caress they did

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Doom 2016 is probably the most fun single player shooter I've played in years.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah DOOM is synonymous with dumb, fast, furious, gory arena shooter. If they want to use the branding for anything else then at the very least they need to make it a spinoff franchise-- DOOM: Origins or whatever. It really is one of those franchises where minor updates and evolutions to the formula are all you need.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

The original concept for Doom 4 was going to be a serious, gritty, "cinematic" shooter, believe it or not: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-13-heres-what-doom-looked-like-when-it-was-called-doom-4

Then id completely scrapped it and made Doom 2016 and thank gently caress they did

huh. never heard about this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here is my unpopular video games take: the best Breath of Fire game is 4

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

could you go Super Saiyajin in BoF 4? i remember you could in 3

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

That's a very very very good and correct opinion.

You might wish the save that for the GOOD AND CORRECT opinions thread.

Rutibex posted:

Kaiser was garbo compared to Myrmidon in 3 (and also Berserk unless you spliced failure/mystery with it) but you basically go super-saiyin everytime you transform in IV.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Every transformation is the human-dragon hybrid form but you don't have the "Ryu just turns gold but stays Ryu" Kaiser form you did in BoF3. That's for the best IMO, I always thought the Warrior/Myrmidon hybrid forms were cooler than just looking like Super Saiyajin Ryu.

I do think BoF3 has a way better dragon transformation system than 4. Dragon genes are really cool and fun to collect and combine.

Twelve Batmans posted:

That's a very very very good and correct opinion.

You might wish the save that for the GOOD AND CORRECT opinions thread.

:hai:

The soundtrack is amazing, the sprite animation is PS1-era Capcom at their best, and to this day I think Fou-Lu is in the top 5 video game villains ever

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Every transformation is the human-dragon hybrid form but you don't have the "Ryu just turns gold but stays Ryu" Kaiser form you did in BoF3. That's for the best IMO, I always thought the Warrior/Myrmidon hybrid forms were cooler than just looking like Super Saiyajin Ryu.

I do think BoF3 has a way better dragon transformation system than 4. Dragon genes are really cool and fun to collect and combine.

I used to agree with the dragon system in 3 being better but after having beat 3 and 4 way too many times to recall and using all the different forms I find them to be just about equally good but in different ways. The gene system offers a lot of potential combinations yes but most of them are palette swaps or something you'll only use once for the hell of it. Custom sprites for Tiamat and Fusions were baller as hell though. You can be a mecha-dragon that shoots cannon balls out of its head! Or a weird onion dragon!

Meanwhile 4 gives you only one sprite for transforming but it has all these beautiful summon animations like FF 7-9. I wish dragon-form didn't make the game so easy though since it still takes (highly reduced) damage and is immune to most status-effects. It also has the world dragon summons which are bar none some of my favorite low-poly work ever done. Your other party members are more useful in general too than they were in 3 (Nina was horribly neutered in 3). There's also the added bonus of doing well in minigames to level up your dragon-forms and get different models for them. 4 had lots of little QoL improvements that streamlined the experience perfectly for me.

Harrow posted:

:hai:

The soundtrack is amazing

You are not wrong my friend. You are not loving wrong at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GsxAmsvBrc

The chanting in this song is actually from an old war chant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSAqplG8Jg

Love the voice-work in this one.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah DOOM is synonymous with dumb, fast, furious, gory arena shooter. If they want to use the branding for anything else then at the very least they need to make it a spinoff franchise-- DOOM: Origins or whatever. It really is one of those franchises where minor updates and evolutions to the formula are all you need.

the original doom wads had very few arenas lol and they didn't have that many monsters, either

there was more of a pretense of traversing levels, finding keys, hitting switches, etc- they used traps and such to try to surprise the player

and then i think pretty much every shooter that tried to be doom basically emulated dead simple which is lol

doom 64 is closer to what people think of doom these days, it used big arenas a lot more

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sports games are both cool and good

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Capcom in the late 90s was the height of musical contribution to gaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe3Sr4JmMXw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqP4khryIxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1jrhPw6be0

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

3rd strike has the best soundtrack of any SF and I will knife-fight the pinche that says otherwise.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I really like Bioshock Infinite

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

The soundtrack is amazing, the sprite animation is PS1-era Capcom at their best, and to this day I think Fou-Lu is in the top 5 video game villains ever

His battle win animation being just him casually walking away because it took no effort is still the coolest.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Good soup! posted:

Sports games are both cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

aint see even one interesting shooter for the next two years