Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Helicopters are witchcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I budgeted an amount to get my PPL add on in Rotorcraft.

By the time I hit 15 hours.I ran out of money.

I was BLOWN AWAY by how much those stupid things cost.

and to think, it all goes to insurance.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Animal posted:

That’s not a good comparison, and this opens the doors for all sorts of pettiness from companies to stunt pilots chances to find better work. I’m cringing just thinking about how some of my previous sociopath Part 91/135 bosses would use the new rules as a tool for intimidation or revenge, if “disciplinary action” will be part of PRIA records.

Maybe, but as long as obviously lovely pilots are allowed to keep sticking around in this career, this is the type of reaction you'll see.

We got the 1500 hour rule, we got the ATP-CTP, and now we're going to have this. And probably more down the road.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rekinom posted:

Maybe, but as long as obviously lovely pilots are allowed to keep sticking around in this career, this is the type of reaction you'll see.

We got the 1500 hour rule, we got the ATP-CTP, and now we're going to have this. And probably more down the road.

I'm just glad Germanwings 9525 happened in Europe. Can you imagine if congress had to be seen doing something about that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I'm just glad Germanwings 9525 happened in Europe. Can you imagine if congress had to be seen doing something about that?

EgyptAir 990 was ignored for some reason. :thunk:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrYenko posted:

That would've been a delightful mess.

-(Sully actually says sensible things about mental health.) -Schumer (with families in tow for a photo op): "2500TT, 1500 turbine, and 10 years' flying experience to go to a regional."

Then Jim Inhofe flies his own plane to be a part of the presser and lands on a taxiway.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 14, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rekinom posted:

I've been thinking about this in relation to a few situations at my work, and I've reached the conclusion that, while the industry is very much concerned with CRM and human factors inside the cockpit, we don't really apply the same standards to human factors outside the cockpit, and that's leading to problems. Why are lovely pilots allowed to stick around in this career? We know who they are in a lot of cases; anyone working in the industry, I assume, knows there's those one or two guys who cut corners or break rules, or simply aren't very good at flying. We know there's captains who are committing sexual harassment or otherwise abusing their position, and treating their FOs like poo poo. Talking off-the-record with co-workers (pilots and otherwise), it's clear these issues are known, but we don't pay enough attention to the human factors which lead us to give the benefit of the doubt and not file a safety report, or maybe overlook something we think is a mistake but it's being made by someone with a lot more experience than us.

One of the things I really enjoy about this career is that your personal improvement as a pilot is basically endless, and while that's something I really appreciate about it, I see a lot of pilots who treat recurrent training, criticism, etc. as a burden rather than an opportunity to improve. That's a hazardous attitude just as surely as any of the ones we talk about in the cockpit itself, and adjusting that culture is going to fix more problems than any amount of record-sharing or experience requirements.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DL's 737-700s and some A320s and 767-300ERs will join the MD-88, MD-90, and 777 in the desert by the end of the year.

https://news.delta.com/delta-air-lines-announces-june-quarter-financial-results-and-update-covid-19-response-actions

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

DL's 737-700s and some A320s and 767-300ERs will join the MD-88, MD-90, and 777 in the desert by the end of the year.

https://news.delta.com/delta-air-lines-announces-june-quarter-financial-results-and-update-covid-19-response-actions

How old are Delta's 777s? I know they were a launch customer but I thought they were buying them for a while and some of them weren't that old. Or was "not that old" just by delta standards?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

How old are Delta's 777s? I know they were a launch customer but I thought they were buying them for a while and some of them weren't that old. Or was "not that old" just by delta standards?

The ERs were delivered around 2000, but the LRs came in around 2010.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just don’t want potential employers to see on PRIA that I was disciplined for using the same Cheeto stained uniform shirt too many times is that too much to ask

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

CBJSprague24 posted:

The ERs were delivered around 2000, but the LRs came in around 2010.

They had just redone the interiors too but it’s a sunk cost now. International recovery is a long way off especially with the US being a Covid pariah state right now.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm guessing airbus wants to keep delivering their A350s too and might as well standardize on all Airbus for long haul?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The first 8 777-200ERs were delivered in 1999, with a 9th in March 2002. The 10 LRs were February 2008-March 2010.

The 73Gs are fairly young, too, all being July 2008-October 2009 deliveries.

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Delta-Air-Lines

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm guessing airbus wants to keep delivering their A350s too and might as well standardize on all Airbus for long haul?

They were supposed to take delivery of a couple ex-LATAM A350s as part of their JV, weren't they?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
I think they still have to take 4 of them. Idk what happens to the rest of LATAMs 350s with the bankruptcy.

The entire MD-88, MD-90, 777 and 737-700 fleets, and portions of the 767-300ER and A320 fleets are all being retired. Flying is going to get a lot more boring as a passenger with all these flight types getting parked.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm absolutely suffering here...I want to go back to my window less office and 14 hours days.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Are you taking lessons in a loving Bell 47?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yes. The school has 5 of them.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

MrYenko posted:

Are you taking lessons in a loving Bell 47?

You didn’t see the cockpit shot he posted?

The only helicopter in which you have to worry about bird strikes from behind, as my instructor put it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Where in the great north is that? Looks like a really pretty place to fly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yes. The school has 5 of them.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

You didn’t see the cockpit shot he posted?

The only helicopter in which you have to worry about bird strikes from behind, as my instructor put it.

I did, but i didn’t look close enough to realize it.

For the record, my incredulity is based on a deep, deep, almost abyssal jealousy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rolo posted:

Where in the great north is that? Looks like a really pretty place to fly.

Looks vaguely like Abbotsford, I think?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm flying with Chinook Helicopters in Abbotsford (CYXX). 5 minutes from the mountains (10 in the 47 :D)
https://www.chinookhelicopters.com/
They got Bell47s, R44s and Bell206s. (and apparently, a 505, which I haven't seen yet). Things are still a bit covid-restricted, so they're trying to minimze movement around the facility.

Current plan is to do most of the training on the 47s and then get an endorsement on the 206. (You need 10 hours for an type endorsement here in Canadaland).
It's a full time course, so flying every day.

Helicopters feels like magic. That initial pick-up and translation simply doesn't feel real. With planes, you get the angry acceleration that tells you that things are about to happen, helicopters simply just starts floating.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys, I've low-key wanted to learn flying for some time now but haven't had the time/money to start it yet. My friend though recently got the PPL and has 80 or so hours, IIRC. At what point would you consider going for a flight with a new pilot (assuming you weren't the instructor)? I know he takes it very seriously and all but I'm a bit apprehensive, though maybe in 2020 it doesn't really matter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I was the first person my friend took flying when he got his license, a couple of days after the checkride, and I intend to do the same in exchange when I finish mine.

By definition the person with a private pilot certificate has been certified to carry passengers. You can theoretically get a license when you're 17 with exactly 40 hours of flight time. You just need to decide whether you trust your friend.

(Note that you can't log any time flying with him as instruction, in case that was the idea -- he is allowed to let you take the controls, but he remains the pilot-in-command the entire time)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Most of my flying friends, I’m more apprehensive about the drive to the airport than I am about flying with them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

I was the first person my friend took flying when he got his license, a couple of days after the checkride, and I intend to do the same in exchange when I finish mine.

By definition the person with a private pilot certificate has been certified to carry passengers. You can theoretically get a license when you're 17 with exactly 40 hours of flight time. You just need to decide whether you trust your friend.

(Note that you can't log any time flying with him as instruction, in case that was the idea -- he is allowed to let you take the controls, but he remains the pilot-in-command the entire time)
Oh no that wasn't the idea, my interest in flying isn't directly relevant. But thanks for clarifying.

I know the certificate means they passed all the requirements but still... how many people have a driver/diving/pilot license and do stupid poo poo. Like this guy
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mobby_6kl/SA/plane.mp4

MrYenko posted:

Most of my flying friends, I’m more apprehensive about the drive to the airport than I am about flying with them.
Well maybe if your friends are experienced pilots and you drive like I do :v: From what I've seen GA is like motorcycle-level in terms of safety, and I never rode one for that reason. But yeah I suppose by the time we actually get a chance to fly somewhere worthwhile, I'd probably be fine with it.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 15, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

mobby_6kl posted:

Well maybe if your friends are experienced pilots and you drive like I do :v: From what I've seen GA is like motorcycle-level in terms of safety, and I never rode one for that reason. But yeah I suppose by the time we actually get a chance to fly somewhere worthwhile, I'd probably be fine with it.

I did the math once and yes, GA is broadly similar to motorcycling in terms of fatality rate per hour, at about 1-1.5 fatalities per 100,000 hours of operation. That means if you go up for 2 hours with your friend, or spend 2 hours on the back of a motorcycle, you have a 0.0002% chance of dying.

On the other hand, you have a roughly 0.01% chance of dying in a car accident in any given year, and nearly a 1% lifetime chance of that being how you die.

The relative risk of flying is higher but the absolute risk is still miniscule. You'd have to fly about 100 hours a year (in a GA airplane; the risk with commercial flights is effectively zero) just to match the chances of dying in a car accident from your normal behavior.

e: if your friend likes do to what looks like a 60+ degree banked turn at 100AGL, as in that video, you should not fly with him

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 15, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The quality of a private pilot depends a lot on the kind of person your friend is.

The safety of GA goes up quite a bit when you take pilot error out of the equation (yes I know that's pretty disingenuous) and look solely at mechanical failures. How many Jerrys are out there that haven't been as lucky is what I'm getting at more or less.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Hey guys, I've low-key wanted to learn flying for some time now but haven't had the time/money to start it yet. My friend though recently got the PPL and has 80 or so hours, IIRC. At what point would you consider going for a flight with a new pilot (assuming you weren't the instructor)? I know he takes it very seriously and all but I'm a bit apprehensive, though maybe in 2020 it doesn't really matter.

I would not be apprehensive flying with a new GA pilot. It's once a (bad) pilot starts to get comfortable enough to push their limits that things get dangerous.

If your friend is the type of person to do donuts in parking lots, burnouts at traffic lights, and says "hold my beer" a lot, yeah maybe let them enjoy the skies on their own. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes. What's your experience been with tablets in the plane? Plates, moving map, navaid info etc. Touchscreen usability, UI, convenience etc. I'm all for not carrying and updating a stack of papers pubs, but I've found the situation subpar. Foreflight just refused to show me approach plates until I connected with WiFi and verified my login. That is right the gently caress out.

Actually, I think any system that uses a complex operating system that works non deterministically is right the gently caress out. Verifying you've paid, unimportant notifications, cluttered, stateful UI are inappropriate for the cockpit. Passcodes to unlock are also inappropriate

I'm also not a fan of touchscreen, esp with gloves.

Thoughts on a dedicated approach plate tablet? No OS, just runs the code to pull up and update plates. Maybe a few extras like a navaid ref. Physical buttons, including ones that go directly to your plate of choice. No extra code running, and no possibility of unexpected behavior. Thoughts?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Dominoes posted:

Hey dudes. What's your experience been with tablets in the plane? Plates, moving map, navaid info etc. Touchscreen usability, UI, convenience etc. I'm all for not carrying and updating a stack of papers pubs, but I've found the situation subpar. Foreflight just refused to show me approach plates until I connected with WiFi and verified my login. That is right the gently caress out.

Actually, I think any system that uses a complex operating system that works non deterministically is right the gently caress out. Verifying you've paid, unimportant notifications, cluttered, stateful UI are inappropriate for the cockpit. Passcodes to unlock are also inappropriate

Thoughts on a dedicated approach plate tablet? No OS, just runs the code to pull up and update plates. Maybe a few extras like a navaid ref. Physical buttons, including ones that go directly to your plate of choice. No extra code running, and no possibility of unexpected behavior. Thoughts?

I've had no negative experiences with foreflight. If you're trying to use a tablet with gloves, get some fingerless gloves (I use Wiley X).

The tablet you suggest sounds way harder than just carrying paper plates. You're going to spend more time side loading a bunch of pubs on there than you will on anything else. You need to preflight your iPad. Get it out the night/day before the flight and make sure its working. The only error foreflight has given me was when I didn't download updated plates-- it told me they weren't up to date and then didn't georeference but it stilled displayed the chart itself.

For reference, I carry my iPad + sentry, iPhone (w/ foreflight), a back up usb battery, AND a back up paper plate.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

My experience with Foreflight on an ipad mini 4 has been great. Never had any issues with it not pulling up charts as you described. Once you’ve logged into the app and downloaded all the plates I’ve never needed it to be on wifi for any reason while using it.

2nding preflight your ipad. Enter and pack the flight on foreflight and it should grab all the relevant updated plates, weather, notams, etc. Do it when you generate the briefing, easy.

The only real problem I’ve had is leaving it in sunlight too long and it overheating... good thing I have my phone for backup :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No personal experience with tablets, obviously, but my buddy said they're pretty commonly used nowadays (and I think even commercial guys use them) without any issues.

Sagebrush posted:

I did the math once and yes, GA is broadly similar to motorcycling in terms of fatality rate per hour, at about 1-1.5 fatalities per 100,000 hours of operation. That means if you go up for 2 hours with your friend, or spend 2 hours on the back of a motorcycle, you have a 0.0002% chance of dying.

On the other hand, you have a roughly 0.01% chance of dying in a car accident in any given year, and nearly a 1% lifetime chance of that being how you die.

The relative risk of flying is higher but the absolute risk is still miniscule. You'd have to fly about 100 hours a year (in a GA airplane; the risk with commercial flights is effectively zero) just to match the chances of dying in a car accident from your normal behavior.

e: if your friend likes do to what looks like a 60+ degree banked turn at 100AGL, as in that video, you should not fly with him
I'm not too freaked out about safety in general, I think it was more about new pilots in general.

Thankfully my friend was the one pointing how what an idiot that guy was (he's the one in the cap, we were at a small local airport).

e.pilot posted:

The quality of a private pilot depends a lot on the kind of person your friend is.

The safety of GA goes up quite a bit when you take pilot error out of the equation (yes I know that's pretty disingenuous) and look solely at mechanical failures. How many Jerrys are out there that haven't been as lucky is what I'm getting at more or less.
As I mentioned he seems to take it very seriously so that's good. I also remember reading that old lawyers/doctors stroking out mid flight is a noticeable risk factor so that's in our favor too.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I would not be apprehensive flying with a new GA pilot. It's once a (bad) pilot starts to get comfortable enough to push their limits that things get dangerous.

If your friend is the type of person to do donuts in parking lots, burnouts at traffic lights, and says "hold my beer" a lot, yeah maybe let them enjoy the skies on their own. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.
No that's not him, he's too much of a pussy to go to a track day even :)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I use an iPad with JeppFD and FLTPlanGo.

We also have Proline 21 with NEXRAD and CPDLC so *fart*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm not too freaked out about safety in general, I think it was more about new pilots in general.

If he just got his license, he has spent the last couple of months drilling emergency procedures and making sure that all of his maneuvers are executed as perfectly as possible. Obviously inexperience can be a problem but so can complacency and ego.

I think anyone in this thread would rather fly with a high school student the day after their checkride than Jerry under any circumstance.

e: re tablets I use Garmin Pilot and I actually really like the interface but the two parts that bum me out are that it doesn't have a satellite view option, and that it can only sync traffic from Garmin transponders :saddowns:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 15, 2020

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I use an iPad with JeppFD, and it's a hell of a lot easier than paper charts, especially for short IFR flights.

It takes me maybe two minutes to load the flight into the app before departure (selecting all of the relevant taxi, departure, arrival and approach charts), and once that's done, a last minute change to an arrival or approach takes maybe 15 seconds on the iPad.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I just ask approach for the localizer frequency.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks for the wisdom on tablets. I guess after some thought on the subject, my primary objection is that a general-purpose tablet, running a general purpose OS, doesn't seem like the right approach for aviation. Whenever I have to take my gloves off to enter the passcode we can't remove, it feels wrong. Whenever I have to go into the system settings, and search through small-text submenus to enable WIFI, or change the brightness since the last flight was at night, it feels wrong - especially in the jet.

What have you been using the tablet for specifically? Eg, Bob - what pubs do you side load?

For example, I mainly use the iPad for approach plates, but use paper pubs for checklists, inflight guide etc since it's easier to flip through the paper than flip through apps and directories on a touch screen, esp with gloves.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dominoes posted:

Anything that's not Garmin Pilot, Foreflight, or Jeppesen Flight Deck on an iPad is going to be a bad experience.

Foreflight won't do what you're describing without warning, you need to keep your apps, charts, and pubs up to date, this reeks of user error.

Dominoes posted:

Thanks for the wisdom on tablets. I guess after some thought on the subject, my primary objection is that a general-purpose tablet, running a general purpose OS, doesn't seem like the right approach for aviation. Whenever I have to take my gloves off to enter the passcode we can't remove, it feels wrong. Whenever I have to go into the system settings, and search through small-text submenus to enable WIFI, or change the brightness since the last flight was at night, it feels wrong - especially in the jet.

What have you been using the tablet for specifically? Eg, Bob - what pubs do you side load?

For example, I mainly use the iPad for approach plates, but use paper pubs for checklists, inflight guide etc since it's easier to flip through the paper than flip through apps and directories on a touch screen, esp with gloves.

Almost literally every airline in the world and the US military use iPads to great success, you have no idea what you're talking about.

That general purpose OS goes through VASTLY more testing and quality control than some niche aviation tablet would ever get.
You can get to the wifi menu on an iPad in literally one button push and two taps.
You can swipe down from the top right corner to adjust the brightness and never even leave the app.
Side loading apps for charts. :psyduck:

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 15, 2020