Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heath posted:

I think I've whipped back around into total admiration for them sticking to their stretch goals. Other indie games have straight up just said "gently caress it, we're gonna roll this content into the sequel" or just not delivered at all

It took them less time than Hollow Knight at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Dominique mode! Looking forward to that

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Posted by Question on the Discord channel this morning (11:56AM EDT):

Cosmetic Pack Pricing
Premium Cosmetic Packs are US$2.99 each.

A bundle with all three is US$5.99.

The Shantae Cosmetic Pack is free.

Each pack is comprised of multiple items that can be equipped and upgraded individually.

The three paid costume packs will release with the v1.5 update next week for PC, Xbox and Playstation versions. The Switch version will see the update a week after.

Very important info at the bottom of the page for anyone who donated to the Physical PC Copy tier:

Chaos and Vs Modes are the final stretch goals for the game. Once these two modes are completed we will begin to work on the final physical reward remaining to be delivered: the Physical PC version of the game.

PC Physical tier backers received a digital code to play the game when it was first released in June 2019, but they still need to receive their final physical reward.

If there are any Backers whose addresses has changed since the original backing registration, you will have to update your address through Fangamer’s survey portal. Please check your current address. If no update is sent, the assumption will be the address has not changed and the item will be shipped to the address on file. We will make announcements on Kickstarter before that deadline occurs.

https://fulfillment.fangamer.com/kindling/bloodstained/survey_support

Except for the Physical PC version of the game, all other rewards have been shipped. If you believe you are missing a reward, you can contact Fangamer via the reward survey linked above.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

wow has it really been five years

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Hopefully this means with their KS obligations fulfilled they can officially announce the sequel and a tentative release window.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

once again i will be playing the game to check out the new modes and to maybe also look like a demon and/or magical girl

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

once again i will be playing the game to check out the new modes and to maybe also look like a demon and/or magical girl

I kinda liked Bloodless mode, even if it wasnt really fun to play

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Now you can be a half-genie, because the Free Costume DLC is Shante!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
They need to make another Kickstarter, with even more lofty stretch goals

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Malcolm Excellent posted:

They need to make another Kickstarter, with even more lofty stretch goals

- All of the game's content redone as 60 fps hand drawn cell animation

- TI-85 version

- Castle exploration adds a Z-axis

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I started playing Order of Ecclessia for the first time and

1) It loving rules, and

2) I can totally see where Bloodstained came from now haha. The main character designs, the alchemy motifs, the glyph system being the hella similar to the shard system, Albus and Gebel being mysterious turncoat antagonists... Was OoE neutered in production or something, or did IGA just want to run it back for the hell of it?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

well metroidvania ARE known for their cut n paste

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'd say the glyph system is closer to Aria/Dawn of Sorrow's souls, absolutely every single enemy has one and I don't recall any you get by grabbing them while an enemy is trying to cast them like in Ecclessia.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I think it was multiple things, like OoE just being the last example of the evolution of Igavania gameplay and Shanoa being a well-received character with no real ties to the Belmonts or the Draculas. Despite that, the shard system is more like an expanded Soul system than OoE's glyphs, and Bloodstained also lack's the MP cost on basic attacks that OoE had. So it's basically Aria/Dawn of Sorrow gameplay and Order of Ecclesia's cast with the Castlevania bits filed off.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah OoE's MP regenerated really fast, and every attack was a glyph. You can't use shards as your primary attack method right from the get go. Although once you get a few milkshakes and fruit juices down Miriam's throat you can, those are an amazing addition.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bloodstained takes from every IGAvania to some extent, Even PoR is in with weapon skills. Its a patchwork game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there any modern way to play OoE? It needed the DS screens right? So emulation is tough

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Medullah posted:

Is there any modern way to play OoE? It needed the DS screens right? So emulation is tough

There’s a high probability that Konami is working on releasing it as part of a future collection. Maybe. You can buy the game boy advance collection, one would think the DS games are also on the horizon.

Maybe.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Medullah posted:

No, I've played it to completion on emulator and never had an issue. Dawn of Sorrow was the one with gimmick touchscreen bits and there's a fan patch that removes those

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

No Dignity posted:

No, I've played it to completion on emulator and never had an issue. Dawn of Sorrow was the one with gimmick touchscreen bits and there's a fan patch that removes those

Ahh that's the one I'm thinking of, thanks. Maybe I'll load it up, I've been on a Metroidvania kick lately.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia don't require touchscreen stuff for the main game mode, though IIRC both have extra modes that are more dependent on the touchscreen.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

In the main game OoE has alternative control methods for exactly 1 glyph, Magnes, and map markers use the touchscreen
In Albus mode you can tap on the touchscreen to teleport around. Extremely useful.
Neither are mandatory.

e: Haha I just got reminded OoE also has a catlady transformation glyph.

VV You can use the touchscreen for magnes
You just dont need to unless you want to do some tricky flings or redire bullshit

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 8, 2024

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Magnes doesn't use the touchscreen, that would be extremely cumbersome. My favorite way to do albus teleports is to map the mouse to a thumbstick, it works pretty seamlessly. Playing it on DS I'd typically only use it when where I want to teleport is on the edge of the screen.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

But yeah, Bloodstained is really just supposed to be the Greatest Hits version of Castlevania, it's got the fighting game inputs and familiars from SOTN, the Shard system is basically Souls with the serial numbers filed off, Miriam's design resembles Shanoa's, and there's a few paintings you can enter to play a mini-level or fight a boss or whatever. Also Zangetsu is basically Julius except more confrontational for the first half of the game.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
If it’s the greatest hits, then where’s my Innocent Devil grind and material steals?

(I get unreasonably excited whenever anyone remembers Curse of Darkness)

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

CommunityEdition posted:

If it’s the greatest hits, then where’s my Innocent Devil grind and material steals?

(I get unreasonably excited whenever anyone remembers Curse of Darkness)

You spend plenty of hours grinding for ingredients and alkahests to make up for it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/AxiomVerge/status/1788267765226467563

Posted this in the Metroidvania thread but figured it was a good enough deal that some people here might be interested.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Medullah posted:

https://x.com/AxiomVerge/status/1788267765226467563

Posted this in the Metroidvania thread but figured it was a good enough deal that some people here might be interested.

not a single one of these games is a castlevania game with a metroid-style map. every day my frustration with the term metroidvania grows deeper. why cant they just call them “open world platformers” or something

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Search Action.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The metroid part is first

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The metroid part is first

the etymology was established during the gba era to distinguish between regular castlevania games and post-sotn “metroid-vania” entries!!!!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i will literally never stop relitigating this….i will die before i call platformers where you can go left OR right, metroidvanias

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's weird that's what the genre is called and yet no one ever makes real metroid style games

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Call them castleroids.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Leftroidvanias

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

not a single one of these games is a castlevania game with a metroid-style map. every day my frustration with the term metroidvania grows deeper. why cant they just call them “open world platformers” or something

wait axiom verge isnt?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
clash-at-demonhead-likes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

wait axiom verge isnt?

is it called Castlevania: Verge of the Axiom??????

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I don't really care if kind of specific terms like Metroidvania or Roguelike come to describe a bigger umbrella of games I get how that happens and it doesnt bother me. I find it a lot funnier when an incredibly broad term like "immersive sim" comes to mean exactly FPS games with vents and keypads with a hack button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

They should have gone with shocklikes or (deu)sexclones.