Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sage Grimm posted:

They're getting better at ekeing out incentives to donate and setting bonus game amounts. It was a brilliant idea to come and quickly announce "oh hey for two coffees you can get a chance at all three current console systems" while in the middle of Chrono Trigger.

hell that got me to donate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is the MM run worth watching? I’m already pretty familiar with all the 3D Zelda speed routes but if the runner and commentary was good I’ll check it out.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is the MM run worth watching? I’m already pretty familiar with all the 3D Zelda speed routes but if the runner and commentary was good I’ll check it out.

i liked it, but i don't know much about MM so i can't exactly say if it was fresh or stale compared to other runs of it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

actually i just remembered that was a run patty was hosting so yes, it's 100% worth a watch

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It was very good. Great runner+host combo

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the first two hours i caught were real good imo

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Cool thanks

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I can also recommend it while having it in the background playing today. For a 5 hour run, everything is on a very tight schedule to do everything in as few time loop cycles as possible and there's very few mistakes (aside from the postman minigame, which ended up being more a technical limitation than anything on the runner's part); Patty also keeps things entertaining in the downtimes.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

We oughta compile a list of runs/links that folks recommend as must-sees.

The LotP/SM rando run was hilarious.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Star Fox 64
BotW
Banjo-Kazooie

Were all good runs I haven't seen a lot of talk about

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
TMNT III was great

Metroid was fun

Zelda randomizer race was killer

Both of Zallard's punch-out runs were good

Castlevania DOS was real good if youve never seen it

chip n dale was pretty cool, sinister has been working on it alot lately

Glover was crazy, imo

TASBOT tetris was impressive to watch

Zelda OoT is worth seeing if you didnt see cosmo's run of it a few years ago

and the last hour or so of chrono trigger was just insane

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it did not seem like viewership was up much/at all to me. it seems more likely that the audience for the event has aged to the point where they are in the workforce and can actually donate now.

probably cuz of ff14 tbh

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
did the interstitial music playlist ever materialize?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I dont remember much of the starcraft run, kinda wish they had done a different campaign. They certainly didnt capitalize on my original joke do not steal

-What happened in the previous campaign?

-Tassadar; thought of Aiur and died

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay half way through the textorcist and if you didn't watch this live, you definitely should check out the vod

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why were the cut scenes in Mort the Chicken that good? Holy crap...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the rygar run is uhhhhhhhhhhhh interesting

runner is forced to scramble the whole time, makes awkward jokes that get no reaction from the crowd, tries to make the donation reader read donations to the beat of the game music, but the game music lags from NES slowdown

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

site posted:

Okay half way through the textorcist and if you didn't watch this live, you definitely should check out the vod

A subtle thing about the game, since you have to move with the arrow keys you are heavily relying your left hand to type out exorcism passages. Your sinister hand. :unsmigghh:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The 7th Guest posted:

the rygar run is uhhhhhhhhhhhh interesting

runner is forced to scramble the whole time, makes awkward jokes that get no reaction from the crowd, tries to make the donation reader read donations to the beat of the game music, but the game music lags from NES slowdown
That part was hilarious! Yeah there was a little bit there that made me cringe a bit but when he did the donations to the beat and then the beat lagged, that was a solid joke.

site posted:

Watching that live I tried to only type when he wasn't moving his character... the guy can't touch type. Even though he memorized most of the lines, he was slower than me. It's purely because of this that I'm now getting the Textorcist to see if I can beat his time.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I think the lack of chat thread ruined my engagement with this event as a whole. Personal feeling but just comparing it to recent GDTs for other things it really felt this event needs that. I was ok with the experiment and seeing how it played before posting about it but thats my ultimate conclusion not sure ill remember anything from this entire event.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Super time force ultra is my recommendation, but don't watch if you can't handle lewd cuddling on the couch

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lid posted:

I think the lack of chat thread ruined my engagement with this event as a whole. Personal feeling but just comparing it to recent GDTs for other things it really felt this event needs that. I was ok with the experiment and seeing how it played before posting about it but thats my ultimate conclusion not sure ill remember anything from this entire event.

you have a probation for posting horny fanart in the agdq chat thread, lmao

Personally I think there was a good amount of chatting going on in this thread, and I'd call the experiment a success since it kept that and got rid of the creepy spank bank stuff.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jabor posted:

you have a probation for posting horny fanart in the agdq chat thread, lmao
not only that but the very "miku bound up in a car trunk" art i was complaining about before lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

The 7th Guest posted:

not only that but the very "miku bound up in a car trunk" art i was complaining about before lol

Yes i do and it was tasteless, stupid, and i regretted it immediately after. I restricted myself in this thread to only posting intermittantly and apologusing for being an absolute dickhead. I was part of the problem and the worst offender in that case.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
We have 169 pages of chat in this thread

Oh woe is me, can't post thinly veiled hentai this is awful lol

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The speedfriend discord was very fun to hang out in for the event. It worked well for the insane high volume posting periods of the event and the slower ones. If you missed that then check it out for the next event.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

I really miss chat thread and would love if it could come back, even if it were limited to a thread rule of no images or something. Discord is fine but it's not the same without emptyquotes.

That said I still had fun.

Unfortunately I was kinda busy with work so I didn't get to watch nearly as much as I'd like, but my recommendations:

Metroid Prime: A relatively weak recommendation. Surprisingly good mix of movement, OOB, various wacky tricks and a couple of hilarious glitches. I thought it'd be a relatively boring run but there was a lot going on.
The Textorcist: Strong recommendation. Wow that's an interesting game!? All of the typing games I've ever seen speedrun have been enjoyable (mostly because I type along in chat) but this one's seriously insane.
Silent Hill 3: The run is fine (Punchy did a good job) but it the singing at the end was perfect. Possibly will hold up less when not in the moment.
Shrek Extra Large: Strong recommendation. Fart boosting.
Mort the Chicken: Strong recommendation. Some of the best cutscenes in the industry.
Dark Souls II: Pretty sure this averaged like, one boss every three minutes, some of which were wild. Great execution.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i think people have learned their lesson and a new chat thread for the next event would be fine and drama-free with an obvious 'keep things work safe ya dummies' rule

but i also enjoyed this thread as it was and the lack of a chat thread didn't ruin my enjoyment of this sgdq so i'm fine with things either way :shrug:

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

i think people have learned their lesson and a new chat thread for the next event would be fine and drama-free with an obvious 'keep things work safe ya dummies' rule

but i also enjoyed this thread as it was and the lack of a chat thread didn't ruin my enjoyment of this sgdq so i'm fine with things either way :shrug:

I did enjoy this thread but it only very rarely hit lightspeed, and that energy was a huge part of what I enjoyed about the chat thread.

Like it's not gonna kill anybody if there are no more chat threads, but I think it's a lot less fun that it could be if there were also a chat thread. But, like, I don't know how productive endlessly debating chat thread is so I'll just drop it now.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

site posted:

We have 169 pages of chat in this thread

Oh woe is me, can't post thinly veiled hentai this is awful lol

That stuff should be forgotten and banned out and again it was stupid, tasteless dumbassey and I take responsibility for that and punishment of me was deserved and fair. Thats not the whole story of the chat threads though.For a comparison of 169 pagea for this SGDQ 2018 was 2144. Its a much lower engagement, lower interest, lower feeling like youre talking to other speedfriends than posting like everyones a speedacademic.

The exception in this thread was Mort the Chicken which felt during its run like the chat thread because you cant serious post Mort the Chicken. It was amazing.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Studio posted:

Keep talking about t.r.a.g so I can be happy about being on couch thanks.

Same but hosting.

You did a great job, Studio.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

My only problem with the lack of a chat thread was my gifs didn't get quoted enough so I didn't make many.
Edit: It took me 5 tries to match the world record set for the first boss of Textorcist. Mmmm I wonder if it's worth continuing...
Edit 2: poo poo I just realized they actually have single level WR numbers. I might get in on this poo poo.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 1, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeeeah, ngl this thread was on the edge of too fast at time for me as it was, I'm not terribly bothered by not having to deal with missing entire pages of emptyquotes and image spam just in the time it takes to make a post

E: i guess my position is that I'm not opposed to the idea of a hyper speed thread for those who want it, i just have no faith that it wouldnt devolve into the same cesspool that got it banned in the first place.

DaveKap posted:

My only problem with the lack of a chat thread was my gifs didn't get quoted enough so I didn't make many.
Edit: It took me 5 tries to match the world record set for the first boss of Textorcist. Mmmm I wonder if it's worth continuing...
Edit 2: poo poo I just realized they actually have single level WR numbers. I might get in on this poo poo.

Nice! Good luck!

site fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 1, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

site posted:

Nice! Good luck!
Some robot tied up the first three stages but the rest are by the guy from GDQ so those are gonna be my target.
Also there is a category for 1 player 2 controllers that is empty, which I could just yoink up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Looking forward to your gdq run next year

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

tbh I didn't particularly miss hundreds of pages of nothing but emptyquote. I enjoyed that I could catch up even when there was a high energy run in the US primetime.

My recs once again updated after I watched some VODs:

- The Hobbit - faithful to source material
- Slipstream - fun arcade type racing game
- Punch-Out (arcade) and Punch-Out (Wii) some runs that make you doubt your eyesight
- Silent Hill 3 - It's secretly anime with Punchy
- Divekick - this is how a race should be
- Shrek Extra large - "We're gonna stunlock the enemy with fire farts"
- Mort the Chicken - Just for the cutscenes
- T.R.A.G.: Tactical Rescue Assault Group - learn the meaning of friendship with Caveman, friends and anime
- Red Alert 3 - Raelcun, Covertmuffin and Tim Curry
- Metal Slug X & Metal Slug 3 - double feature with sukimos, really impressive gameplay
- TMNT IV Turtles in time - just a fun co-op run
- Super Mario World blind relay race - every bit as fun as you'd think it will be
- Grand Poo World 2 - a really fun Kaizo game, great banter and commentary, the creator also there
- Rockman 4 Minus infinity - crazy, fast-paced, nice commentary

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

TeaJay posted:

tbh I didn't particularly miss hundreds of pages of nothing but emptyquote. I enjoyed that I could catch up even when there was a high energy run in the US primetime.

ditto

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I have to give my strongest recommendation to the Minecraft run. It was already going to be exciting no matter what to watch how the guy deals with a totally unprepared-for world, sans glitches. This run lived up to that and far more. I considered myself an expert in movement within this game with all my weird bucket climbing tricks, but then this blew my mind. He builds stuff FAST. There's one particular moment in a cave where he bridges his way up and around one room to another room and simultaneously obstructs the monsters from below from shooting at him. Throughout the run he also builds his way out of basically ever touching water, treating each river like the floor was lava, lest the water slow him down. He uses shears and spammed leaf blocks everywhere which was an interesting trick; I expected he'd have to whip out a calculator and solve a linear algebra system to minimize his eye of ender throws, but I had never thought of just drawing straight lines out of plentiful leaf blocks to graphically find where the lines intersect. He didn't quite need to do that all the way but demonstrated it and so many other tricks can be done in this game.

I didn't even know there was a Japanese community running this game, answering all my prayers that this would become a speed game. He borrowed a lot of knowledge from those runners.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

The co-op Marble Madness one was pretty cool, too, and short. The players were great and then one of them did a run using both controllers to control player 1 and 2 at the same time. I hate that game due to serious frustration and annoyance with it as a kid, but really enjoyed it during this event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Catching up with some i've seen recommended and TRAG was a good run.

Any others with a similar couch? Maybe less tired, but a group of friends chatting while going fast on a videogame.