Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

sorry I didn't keep up with this thread today, I was busy keeping up with the stonks thread

there's a lot of righteous anger but also a whoooole lot of not understanding the technical complexities of how trading actually works going around.

the tl;dr of it is: in many and probably most cases, brokerages didn't halt buying of the meme stocks because they just felt like making the price go down and loving over their retail customers. Mostly they did it because of the 2-day settlement rule, which means that various market middlemen are on the hook for the entire liability of the total cumulative trades for 2 days, and a few of them hit capitalization limits imposed by the SEC which required them to stop taking on more risk, e.g., halt trades that add to their book.

yeah this tweet that you probably saw I posted in stocks thread breaks it down pretty well

https://twitter.com/bespokeinvest/status/1354936237904322567?s=20

wouldn’t be surprised if there was some shady poo poo going on in addition to this, but a lot can be explained by rules and incompetence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
re: Fallout: the Frontier

it seems like a technical marvel but everything I've seen otherwise is hilariously edgy, the worst fanfic imaginable, with a ton of fetish stuff shoehorned in. Like, stinky feet fetish poo poo. Also you can gently caress a lizard for some reason!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

yeah this tweet that you probably saw I posted in stocks thread breaks it down pretty well

https://twitter.com/bespokeinvest/status/1354936237904322567?s=20

wouldn’t be surprised if there was some shady poo poo going on in addition to this, but a lot can be explained by rules and incompetence

I did yeah and I totally forgot you're a TFF chat thread guy, that tweet is a good overview

it's undoubtedly being called pro-billionaire propaganda by hundreds of furious redditors right now lol

e. pmchem you're a critical voice of calm reason in that stonks thread and people probably don't tell you enough but I super appreciate you

no i'm not drunk

Intruder posted:

It's been so long since I played NV the only things I can really remember are the toy gun that can shoot an orbital laser at a target and that the unique super sledge was grossly overpowered

The unique giant deathclaw died without getting a hit on me because I kept him stunned with the sledge for the whole fight

e: AOC is on twitch now

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1354969318128300033

AOC is struggling to add an audio source on twitch now, after spending 10 minutes trying to get her cam to focus right, it's adorably terrible

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Hot Diggity! posted:

re: Fallout: the Frontier

it seems like a technical marvel but everything I've seen otherwise is hilariously edgy, the worst fanfic imaginable, with a ton of fetish stuff shoehorned in. Like, stinky feet fetish poo poo. Also you can gently caress a lizard for some reason!

Finally, a sequel to The Lusty Argonian Maid.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

C-Euro posted:

Finally, a sequel to The Lusty Argonian Maid.

How dare you. That's a literary marvel.

Anyhow

https://twitter.com/touchingblood/status/1354833753131134982

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1354912214457716741

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Oh man I love Avvo, I work with a lot of family court attorneys and the reviews are frequently hugely entertaining

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Watch Biden start a war.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/1354946613601423373?s=19

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this finally got jon stewart on twitter

https://twitter.com/jon_actual/status/1354901018564321287

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

this aoc twitch is good

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/DanPriceSeattle/status/1354899198035030019?s=19

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Boys, who wants to book a block of rooms with me for TFF Con 2021

https://twitter.com/TimeOutNewYork/status/1354979860817567744?s=20

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Apes together strong is all over the biz chan.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Samadhi posted:

Boys, who wants to book a block of rooms with me for TFF Con 2021

https://twitter.com/TimeOutNewYork/status/1354979860817567744?s=20

Sorry, I even like Jimmy Buffet’s schtick but I’m still at least a decade too young to actually partake in it

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I did yeah and I totally forgot you're a TFF chat thread guy, that tweet is a good overview

it's undoubtedly being called pro-billionaire propaganda by hundreds of furious redditors right now lol

e. pmchem you're a critical voice of calm reason in that stonks thread and people probably don't tell you enough but I super appreciate you

no i'm not drunk

AOC is struggling to add an audio source on twitch now, after spending 10 minutes trying to get her cam to focus right, it's adorably terrible

aww thanks

and aoc finally got that audio working, stream will be worth watching on saved replay or w/e if people missed it and are wondering wtf all this gamestop talk is about

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Sorry, I even like Jimmy Buffet’s schtick but I’m still at least a decade too young to actually partake in it

Never too old for tequila, and relaxing beach vibes. (in the middle of time square)

Intruder posted:

Bows are the most overpowered thing in Skyrim by far anyway

Anyone who plays sneaky archer is a coward. :colbert:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I put $10 into doge and its now $23. What are the nerds doing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spoeank posted:

I put $10 into doge and its now $23. What are the nerds doing

Finally realizing money is a social construct.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pmchem tell me how to gamble on the stonks

Leper keeps being a killjoy by providing sound advice with measured maturity

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Where's D Link I think he owes me an apology on how sound stock market investing is over real estate :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Occam’s razor always kind of pointed to the brokers halting selling because they were out of money and panicked rather than from some order from “they”.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/PoorlyAgedStuff/status/1354915527706234882?s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This is gonna age pretty well for everyone who found out about this over the past day or so on twitter or Facebook and has now been pouring their life savings into it without understanding what’s going on.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Pmchem tell me how to gamble on the stonks

Leper keeps being a killjoy by providing sound advice with measured maturity

gambling is easy

winning is harder

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Occam’s razor always kind of pointed to the brokers halting selling because they were out of money and panicked rather than from some order from “they”.

yeah but that doesn't satisfyingly feed into the narrative of a nebulous Fat Cat class who are all terrified of the new Power of the People as exemplified by the rallying cries of r/wallstreetbets poster wd1Rd_B0nerhit1erX69 to, and I quote,

quote:

HODL

yes it's amazingly cool that literally two hedge funds were forced to go bust get bailed out by the same company that buys order flow from robinhood, haha, but that by itself probably is not the first bastion to fall in the accelerating destruction of the billionaire class by the heroic proletariat.

There's an outside chance that people like AOC will get some moderately useful regulations past during the next two years as a result and that'd be a real big win worth celebrating and also in my opinion the absolute limit of how much progress toward a level playing field we can realistically hope for when it comes to stock market access.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Thaddius the Large posted:

I've stayed a couple of times at the Margaritaville resort in Biloxi and it's super nice and fun. It's a family type place with a cool little waterpark and a swim up bar. It's pricey, but it's nice and it really doesn't skew very old. It has very little to do with Jimmy Buffet, it just has a beachy feel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bartending at a swim up bar has to be weird. Are they waist high in water the entire time or is there like a barricade so they're mostly dry?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Bartending at a swim up bar has to be weird. Are they waist high in water the entire time or is there like a barricade so they're mostly dry?

They have a little platform they stand on out of the water I thought?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

yeah but that doesn't satisfyingly feed into the narrative of a nebulous Fat Cat class who are all terrified of the new Power of the People as exemplified by the rallying cries of r/wallstreetbets poster wd1Rd_B0nerhit1erX69 to, and I quote,

yes it's amazingly cool that literally two hedge funds were forced to go bust get bailed out by the same company that buys order flow from robinhood, haha, but that by itself probably is not the first bastion to fall in the accelerating destruction of the billionaire class by the heroic proletariat.

There's an outside chance that people like AOC will get some moderately useful regulations past during the next two years as a result and that'd be a real big win worth celebrating and also in my opinion the absolute limit of how much progress toward a level playing field we can realistically hope for when it comes to stock market access.

Yeah this is a good article on why this whole phenomenon isn’t exactly David vs Goliath.

https://marketsweekly.ghost.io/what-happened-with-gamestop/

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Skwirl posted:

This post is absolutely delightful

For the record I would be 100% ok with tending bar while waist deep in the pool.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AOC just mentioned that the important thing here is that people felt it was david v goliath. like they were experiencing the rush of organizing spontaneously against what they felt was an unjust force, and are righteously angry when it turned out to be all a sham and they ended up throwing their money away.

kinda like when GBS randomly bought lowtax a new spine and he used the money to buy a sports car and sexually harass someone new

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They have a little platform they stand on out of the water I thought?

I assume they aren't doggy paddling the entire time, I was just wondering if they were in the pool as well or if it was a solid barrier between them and the pool so it was mostly like being in a slightly wetter normal tourist bar.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Skwirl posted:

It's a barricade though I like your mental image better

Edit

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

AOC just mentioned that the important thing here is that people felt it was david v goliath. like they were experiencing the rush of organizing spontaneously against what they felt was an unjust force, and are righteously angry when it turned out to be all a sham and they ended up throwing their money away.

kinda like when GBS randomly bought lowtax a new spine and he used the money to buy a sports car and sexually harass someone new

This is the Doobies Dog House of stocks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Freaquency posted:

This post is absolutely delightful

For the record I would be 100% ok with tending bar while waist deep in the pool.

4-8 hours standing waist high in a pool? there's gotta be health issues associated with that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Do people pee in the pool bar pools? They do don’t they.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the bar itself isn't actually in the water. its behind a wall.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Spoeank posted:

It's a barricade though I like your mental image better

I've never been to one and while I've seen them in movies and poo poo I couldn't remember a specific instance well enough to be certain. Kept going back to Cocktail, but that's on a beach and customers had to walk up to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do people pee in the pool bar pools? They do don’t they.

I've seen people piss themselves at a normal bar.