Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pre-re-rework shatter was honestly preferable to the current version. constant smalls meant that you could go solo or in a small group to have more of an impact on the outcome of a match, and the danger of getting pinched when going in for a large that wasn't yours gave it some real risk-reward, whereas the current one is just nonstop caveman brawls where the DRK/DRG/AST axis of evil is on full display

i guess it's still better than seal rock and onsal where the game will arbitrarily ruin a third of your games by clustering a full set of nodes around your spawn so that you don't get to actually play and lose the map at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Vermain posted:

pre-re-rework shatter was honestly preferable to the current version
:yeah:

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I swore I would never play league but I got tricked into playing rival wings which is just sneaky gateway league. It actually felt like my personal contributions mattered suddenly. I even solo clutched a win for my team in one round! I snuck behind enemy lines and dropped bahamut on their crystal. It felt pretty dang good!

Then the next 5 rounds were against a co-ordinated team of nearly exclusively DRK and I remembered why I don't pvp and just MSQ and gpose all day. I had 33% fun in frontlines, one incredible CC round and a few fun RW matches and now I’m retired from pvp.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

frontlines is still plenty fun when you play it at real goblin hours, but their adamant refusal to take salted earth out behind the shed makes it too aggravating to bother with during primetime when there's a sufficient number of people doing 4-man queues so that every game ends up becoming a battle for second place

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also a battle for third to impede first and ensure the duty lasts as long as possible.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Vermain posted:

pre-re-rework shatter was honestly preferable to the current version. constant smalls meant that you could go solo or in a small group to have more of an impact on the outcome of a match, and the danger of getting pinched when going in for a large that wasn't yours gave it some real risk-reward, whereas the current one is just nonstop caveman brawls where the DRK/DRG/AST axis of evil is on full display

i guess it's still better than seal rock and onsal where the game will arbitrarily ruin a third of your games by clustering a full set of nodes around your spawn so that you don't get to actually play and lose the map at the same time

The big thing is that in the old map, didn't matter which large you were at, you had an escape route. In the new one, there's one safe escape route per big node and it makes it super easy to get pinched and hosed and it sucks every time.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the trick to enjoying frontlines is to queue pld and get real good at kiting one enemy team into the other enemy team

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Have you ever thought "WAR is cool, but what if I was Thor?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRFhyVx9bwY

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One of my favorite memories of the game was original Shatter before the PVE/PVP split, when my friends and I all rolled as 8 ninjas and just spawn camped. Which was a surprisingly effective strategy, in addition to being extremely funny :evilbuddy:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Spending too much time arguing with the dumb-dumbs on the OF lately, and while looking up some information, I saw something that struck me as super weird and was curious if anyone has any input on why? Was looking at healer parses on fflogs and I noticed the the Anabaseios participation seems super low just in general. For example, Anabaseios' most parses per class is dark knight at 1003. In contrast, the most parses logged for Abyssos is 10,905 for white mage and for Asphodelos it's whm again with 17,613.

Looking at shadowbrings, it seems like the same thing happened there so maybe this is just how it is, but still, seems weird to me! I don't raid so I have no first hand experience with why this might be.

Unrelated to that, I think Growing Light is my new favorite OST, there's so many great songs here!

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 20, 2024

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

One of my favorite memories of the game was original Shatter before the PVE/PVP split, when my friends and I all rolled as 8 ninjas and just spawn camped. Which was a surprisingly effective strategy, in addition to being extremely funny :evilbuddy:
reporting you in game for this

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Failboattootoot posted:

Spending too much time arguing with the dumb-dumbs on the OF lately, and while looking up some information, I saw something that struck me as super weird and was curious if anyone has any input on why? Was looking at healer parses on fflogs and I noticed the the Anabaseios participation seems super low just in general. For example, Anabaseios' most parses per class is dark knight at 1003. In contrast, the most parses logged for Abyssos is 10,905 for white mage and for Asphodelos it's whm again with 17,613.

Looking at shadowbrings, it seems like the same thing happened there so maybe this is just how it is, but still, seems weird to me! I don't raid so I have no first hand experience with why this might be.

Unrelated to that, I think Growing Light is my new favorite OST, there's so many great songs here!

My guess--and this is basically raw guess--is that the final leg of the raids just launches after the majority of the raiding scene has run out of steam. They've been using the same rotations and builds for a couple years by that point, and they're closer to the new expansion's updates to the job than they are the current one's, so by that time a bunch of people who are really serious aobut raiding are probably a bit tired.

Relative proximity to a bigger challenge is probably a factor, too. Earlier this expansion we had TOP and DSR for the raiding community to rally around, and so other raiding content probably got that residual boost, but Ultimate raiders don't really have anything going by the time Anabaseios happened.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Failboattootoot posted:

You are comparing specifically 6.5 pre-echo parses to sum total 6.3 and 6.1 parses, I believe. If you compare 6.0, 6.2 and 6.4 they're closer, and closer still if you only look at P5S vs P9S.

Flogs' default view for statistics is ... idiosyncratic. There is a definite drop, but it's not by 0.07x.

E: as for why, I suspect the two main contributing factors are late expansion burnout and both P9S and P10S being more difficult than the start of the previous tiers. Most people just didn't get very far.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 20, 2024

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ojjeorago posted:

Badass. Too bad that it's not a good time to use mods like these, because you might not like going back to vanilla when Dawntrail breaks them...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Apparently there are legacy shaders in the benchmark so presumably mods shouldn't completely break down

aers
Feb 15, 2012

there's also legacy gear in the benchmark!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ojjeorago posted:

ok this might be the one i download

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I think the drop off is simply just the playerbase declining over the patches. Expansion launch is naturally when the playerbase peaks and thus there's just more people raiding.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Failboattootoot posted:

It's the final raid tier so it's the tail end of the patches which have player drop off already.

And P10S was a very very unfun fight so a lot of people probably just stopped reclears/prog cause of it. Something similar happened with the Midgarsomar Savage in StB. Sometimes a final tier just has a really unfun (not hard just not fun) fight.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's the final raid tier so it's the tail end of the patches which have player drop off already.

And P10S was a very very unfun fight so a lot of people probably just stopped reclears/prog cause of it. Something similar happened with the Midgarsomar Savage in StB. Sometimes a final tier just has a really unfun (not hard just not fun) fight.

I believe this immediately because O10 normal is one of the fights i hate the most in this game so I can't imagine savage is any better.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is completely anecdotal but also my static broke up before we even got past P12S' door boss. Glad we cleared P11 though, love that fight

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

I believe this immediately because O10 normal is one of the fights i hate the most in this game so I can't imagine savage is any better.
Actually I think it's funny the way he tells you that he's gonna do something, does a slow, easily noticeable animation, and even introduces all the variants one by one, and at least 90% of the raid gets hit by every single one and then explodes to Akh Morn. For nearly six years, now.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

P10S rules, the tank buster flinging you across the room is iconic

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

fun game to play with your static is p10s dunk contest, where 7/8 people roll tank (prob need a healer for some of the opening mechanics) and try and land the shot

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

It was very boring and the only real variance was the nail phase positioning and the exaflares patterns.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Some people here swear that P10S is an incredible fight, but it has too much jank to be a truly good raid IMO. Weird turret targeting, tether breaking (with the same issues that has always had) and "lets hand out two out of three buff icons that look very similar, with separate tiny countdown timers, and that's your only tell for where to stand" can bite me. Also Pandaemonium is weird ugly rather than cool ugly.

Maybe they think it's a good fight because they're the tanks. Which, fair, the tank launch is one of the funniest mechanics around. Also it was good for revealing which party members were using legacy camera + auto face.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Some people here swear that P10S is an incredible fight, but it has too much jank to be a truly good raid IMO. Weird turret targeting, tether breaking (with the same issues that has always had) and "lets hand out two out of three buff icons that look very similar, with separate tiny countdown timers, and that's your only tell for where to stand" can bite me. Also Pandaemonium is weird ugly rather than cool ugly.

Maybe they think it's a good fight because they're the tanks. Which, fair, the tank launch is one of the funniest mechanics around. Also for revealing which party members were using legacy camera + auto face.

There's good ideas in it, it just feels like a first pass in places and janky in others. Tanking it was better but it's still got issues.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
10 was awesome, probably top 5 in Endwalker. Tethers and turrets are fine, and debuff spam is kinda the thing ffxiv does.

Not a tank, but also didn't pf, which probably makes a huge difference.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Thundarr posted:

Maybe they think it's a good fight because they're the tanks. Which, fair, the tank launch is one of the funniest mechanics around. Also it was good for revealing which party members were using legacy camera + auto face.

Hang on, what's the issue with legacy camera and auto face?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

no idea. I cleared with both on just fine?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You need to run across a tight-rope bridge at multiple times. Stepping off of it would give you a poison dot that would kill you.

If you have standard camera and auto face it's easy to autoface yourself into the poison while attacking if you're not careful. Standard camera changes your direction if autoface points you elsewhere, legacy doesn't.

e: mixed the two up briefly.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 20, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lines posted:

I believe the issue is that if you use an ability while moving the autoface will turn your character to face the boss, changing your movement direction

It's the reason I had to stop using legacy controls

e: wait a minute, I got legacy and standard mixed up, I currently use legacy, standard was the version with the issues

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 20, 2024

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

lines posted:

I don't know how legacy camera factors into this but I've run off the web bridge thanks to autofacing 4 or 5 times with standard type camera.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

lines posted:

Nothing, legacy + auto-face is fine. I expect they mean standard + auto-face which is a trap combination that will kill you in multiple fights, tightropes on P10S being one of them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

10 was awesome, probably top 5 in Endwalker. Tethers and turrets are fine, and debuff spam is kinda the thing ffxiv does.

Not a tank, but also didn't pf, which probably makes a huge difference.

I healed it with a static and it's a bad fight. I'd rather do Phoinix prog again.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

p10s is both an insanely hard and frustrating fight and also really cool

i also have a soft spot for it because i discovered some insane drg tech where I started backflipping on the 1 platform into role stacks, which went hard.

p9s was the great filter tbh, so many people simply could not do levinstrike.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

I healed it with a static and it's a bad fight. I'd rather do Phoinix prog again.

I healed with a static and it's an awesome fight. Phoinix is also top 5.

Gonna be subjective.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd rather do Phoinix prog again.

okay let's not say things we can't take back

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

anyway, I'm glad no one has had anything bad to say about P11, god's chosen fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
11 was fine, kinda easy for a third fight, and felt really similar to e11.

Felt like a lot of downtime to be honest, when it was just in/out pair/party skills.