Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
GRRM has pretty much said that he doesnt enjoy the writing process when he knows where its going. Of course I cant imagine hes been having fun writing, or pretending to write, the last 10 years either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If only we could compensate GRRM for his time spent suffering under an outline, like some sort-of job or something

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

If I was GRRM I'd just pay a ghostwriter. There has to be someone who can imitate his style convincingly. Tell him the basic plot you've figured out, and let him do the work of actually writing it. GRRM is old, rich, and fat. If he doesn't want to write, that's fine - I wouldn't want to write either in his position. Just let someone else write it, like he did with the show, the worldbuilding books, the other shows. Then we can all have closure and GRRM gets to die in peace.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

pidan posted:

If I was GRRM I'd just pay a ghostwriter. There has to be someone who can imitate his style convincingly. Tell him the basic plot you've figured out, and let him do the work of actually writing it. GRRM is old, rich, and fat. If he doesn't want to write, that's fine - I wouldn't want to write either in his position. Just let someone else write it, like he did with the show, the worldbuilding books, the other shows. Then we can all have closure and GRRM gets to die in peace.

Yeah, it's the constant stream of disingenuous "hohoho working hard but there's still a long way to go!" interviews that make him such a pathetic bitch. He's obviously not getting much of anything done, I don't know if it's publisher contracts that he's afraid to break like some have speculated, but he needs to just stop pretending he'll ever finish the story. Relax and have fun in your retirement with your millions of dollars if you want, just come clean, acknowledge that you don't have the drive to work on this thing anymore, and give your notes to Brandon Sanderson or someone.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

You may be too young to remember, but years and years ago, after the first three books had been published, a group of people came into power who called themselves the Neocons, and they believed you could bring freedom and civilization to the backwards peoples of the Middle East, by bombing their cities and overthrowing their tyrannical rulers. Sadly, that didn't quite go as planned.

What I'm saying is, whatever hero narrative GRRM had planned for Dany in Slavers' Bay, it definitely got derailed by 9/11 and the Iraq War, if he even had intended for such a neat and simple narrative in the first place.

Oh, I'm not quite that harsh. Even from book one, it was obvious that Dany's good intentions had consequences she was not ready for. Her push for the horselords to go to Westeros had them laying waste to a whole region to prepare and fund the trip. The deal with Mirri Maz Durr and such.

But even in books 1 and 2, she would realize screwups when she saw them. In book 3 she's basically promoted to medieval Napoleon, fooling sellsword companies, seeing through ploys and deceptions, staging surprise attacks, taking cities from within and wiping enemy armies. Then she just stops and becomes dumb, trying to make nice with people that are evidently always going to hate her forever. And it's just bad writing. GRRM saw that the storyline was not at a point she could join the action in Westeros, so he had her suddenly park her rear end on top of a power keg and wait for her cue. Likely because he waffled back on forth on the whole timeskip thing and was left with no good options.

So then everything goes wrong all the time. Um, there's a secret conspiracy in the city and she refuses to take any serious action against the obvious culprits! Her dragons, they also might have eaten someone! They suck now! The other city she liberated became a grotesque farce, gently caress you for even trying, Dany! A formidable army of jugglers, men on stilts and fantasy tiktok models is shaping up against her, and she does nothing! She doesn't even listen to the experienced commanders serving her about poisoning nearby wells or anything, just hoping that her marriage to Obvious Villain will fix everything.

So yeah, it's actually kinda fitting that her story ends with her making GBS threads brown water in the middle of nowhere.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

Shageletic posted:

Crosssssspossssst

Lol im reading one of the interviews with those clowns

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForArya/status/1188190209583800326

What terrible fuckers. Pretty apt

Can you imagine the nasty loving phone call that must have happened after some Disney exec saw that, and said "Fire whomever chose these two asshats to lead our next trilogy". Meanwhile.. at Netflix...

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Wait they took camera roll of a naked infant's body after they parked it on a block of ice? loving why, why do you need nude shots of a baby?

Are D&D pedophiles or something, wtf is this? This is the first time I'm hearing of this

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Hack frauds gets bandied about too much but these guys. I cant think of any better term for them.

The only surprising this is how we got 3 good seasons out of em.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Sometimes you have good material to crib from, the actors are just right and care enough to put in great work, and the public is hungry for good fantasy fare after almost a decade since Lord of the Rings got them hooked and The hobbit trilogy just didn't hit the spot.

It's the perfect storm that every hack dreams of landing, but it doesn't come around often.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Whomever they hired to do the casting and production design also did their jobs well. This was HBO at peak "prestige" level from The Sopranos, but they hadn't had a breakout hit in a few years. I imagine HBO's contact book was bursting with really talented people hungry for good work who smelled the potential of the books, even if their leaders were basically Little Lord Fauntleroy.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
hosed up that the "play with her arse" show ended up being terrible when those guys had to write all of the dialogue.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Whomever they hired to do the casting and production design also did their jobs well. This was HBO at peak "prestige" level from The Sopranos, but they hadn't had a breakout hit in a few years. I imagine HBO's contact book was bursting with really talented people hungry for good work who smelled the potential of the books, even if their leaders were basically Little Lord Fauntleroy.

"Sweet, we landed Charles motherfuckin' Dance! But now that it's three seasons in and we are on top of the world, I think we can start being -really- bold. I think, and pull me down if you think we are flying too high here....

...we can land Ed Sheeran, ladies and gentlemen."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Its a crime how badly they wasted Ciarn Hinds.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

They wasted quite a few great casting decisions. Ian McShane's turn was forgettable and lame - and it sure as hell wasn't his fault. They also wasted Alexander Siddig (Bashir of DS9) in what also could have been a great casting decision if they hadn't botched the Dornish storyline completely. At least Hinds had some cool moments in season 3 with Jon Snow while they were setting up his arc, even if they totally hosed it up down the line. The other guys didn't even get that.

In general, there seemed to be an unwillingness in the later seasons to give secondary characters decent lines, or much of anything at all to work with. This only got more pronounced as the quality (and level) of dialogue dwindled in the last season, replaced with repeated gratuitous closeups of a half-dozen or so leads.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Such a classic television problem too, where the breakout leads have to be catered to more and more to keep them happy on the show that started them off... regardless of the creative plans and their ultimate role in it. If only they had good leadership to help keep the talent happy and tell the best story for maximum profit.

And I just remembered that these fucks lost a Star Wars gig by being too unprofessional about getting a Star Wars gig. Lol. Lmao.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Also consider how the people who managed to get and keep jobs on the new trilogy were loving idiots and that like even if you want to go to bat for Johnson, he still is a guy who loving got into slap-fights with randos on Twitter for criticizing his movie.

These are the people too talented and professional for D&D.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I would go to bat more for Johnson because I don't think he, Disney, or anyone realized that a movie where the thesis is "hey maybe we need to grow up a little" would become a wedge exploited by the Nazis to get everyone really wound up and the slap fights are more emblematic of how Twitter encourages/enables toxicity. Loads of professionals gently caress up on there daily.

And yeah, they're still a league above the dipshits who ran Game of Thrones.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I would go to bat more for Johnson because I don't think he, Disney, or anyone realized that a movie where the thesis is "hey maybe we need to grow up a little" would become a wedge exploited by the Nazis to get everyone really wound up and the slap fights are more emblematic of how Twitter encourages/enables toxicity. Loads of professionals gently caress up on there daily.

And yeah, they're still a league above the dipshits who ran Game of Thrones.

Oh, word?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

kaworu posted:

They also wasted Alexander Siddig (Bashir of DS9) in what also could have been a great casting decision if they hadn't botched the Dornish storyline completely.

I liked Areo Hotah in the show as well, IIRC the actor was a big ASOIAF fan and was pretty pissed that he didn't get to do anything.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Vichan posted:

I liked Areo Hotah in the show as well, IIRC the actor was a big ASOIAF fan and was pretty pissed that he didn't get to do anything.

Had he read the books?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Vichan posted:

Skipping Arianne meant we didn't get a fight scene with Areo and Ser Arys, would've been great to see Hotah chop his head off

Well, the whole Dorne subplot was so loving pointless it was probably for the best

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's still shocking to me to this day how thoroughly D&D bombed out such a hot ticket franchise. I mean I'm sure some sort of popularity decline after the final season was inevitable but if they'd put out even a mediocre final season HBO probably would have kept the franchise going somehow. But they tanked it so hard nobody gives a poo poo.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

D&D are hopefully remembered for loving up so badly that they become this era's Hegelochus

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They tricked HBO into letting them run the show then tricked themselves into thinking it was because they were good at it. I could have probably done a better job than them and have just as much experience running a high budget tv series.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Invalid Validation posted:

They tricked HBO into letting them run the show then tricked themselves into thinking it was because they were good at it. I could have probably done a better job than them and have just as much experience running a high budget tv series.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you would have to try hard to find someone dumber than those two.
I mean, again, it really can't be said enough; they wrote, shot, and edited a rape scene and never realized they had done so. They're definitely misogynists but I don't think they're actually on quite *that* level of hatred; I think they're just that loving stupid.

Like the same way Blizzard is constantly writing cryptofascist poo poo. I don't think Blizzard are, by and large, cryptofascists, I think they're just breathtakingly stupid.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Had he read the books?

The actor who played Barristan did and D&D literally made fun of him for it and factored that into why they killed him off in such a dumb way.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Most of the good in GOT was a result of Rome.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Collateral posted:

:hmmyes:

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like the same way Blizzard is constantly writing cryptofascist poo poo. I don't think Blizzard are, by and large, cryptofascists, I think they're just breathtakingly stupid.
I've never been big on Blizzard so this is news to me and I would in-fact like to know more.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

:hmmyes:

I've never been big on Blizzard so this is news to me and I would in-fact like to know more.

There's an entire thread dedicated to it in CCCC if you want to look it up. (well, be warned: half of it is FF XIV derails but it's still a good read)

Some of the titles that thread went though might clue you in a bit:

quote:

but no, there's even worse stuff
Heroes of the Stormfront
sylvanas is now the second biggest war criminal at Blizzard
We do not negotiate with terrorfiends.
Democracy? Me not that kind of orc
Valeera's the sex-assassin race traitor, not the genocide sister
Remember when they hired a Bush administration person lmfao
a barren black hole of posts from displeased customers
laid-off staff received... $200 Battle.net gift cards
Activision Blizzard Hires Former Trump Administration Member
No Warcraft without Christianity
The telltale however,
all the villains have to be mustache twirling mega-Hitlers
Blizzard thinks genocide and eternal race war are cool and good
seems like only yesterday Blizzard hired a known war criminal
*Excluding China.

Basically they have a long history of putting cryptofascist stuff in their writing, from references to "Blood and Soil" in questlines, race war being the major plot point of WoW and their unwillingness to move past it all this time, genocide being justified as cool and good on the regular by the narrative... The issue is not just Blizzard harboring people with awful views on their team, it's also their unwillingness to deal with that stuff and abysmal community management that makes it worse. When a bunch of idiots got outraged at the existence of an LGBT only guild the mod team disbanded it immediately, whereas antisemitic and racist speech are pretty much the norm in trade channels and usually carry little to no consequence. (there's a reason "kek" was picked up by that certain fringe of the internet)

Given their sharp downward spiral these past years they shouldn't be a concern for much longer though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TERFherder posted:

Can you imagine the nasty loving phone call that must have happened after some Disney exec saw that, and said "Fire whomever chose these two asshats to lead our next trilogy". Meanwhile.. at Netflix...

It was literally the next day after that convention appearance that they were fired from Star Wars. I've heard some anecdotes that Kathleen Kennedy had actually fired them as early as the Monday after the series finale of Game of Thrones had aired and Disney simply waited for the right opportunity to make it public, which D&D being entitled idiots who don't learn from their mistakes, they eventually gave them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ague Proof posted:

Had he read the books?

What little was mentioned of Hotah in the books made him sound like he was extremely deadly, always on guard against everything (and armored, iirc), and had a severe distrust for the Sand Snakes so he was even more on guard when they were around. So of course the show kills him in the dumbest manner possible and never make him look like anything more than a well dressed bodyguard with an axe instead of a sword.

Collateral posted:

And multiple good actors D&D pissed away were amazing in Rome.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Evil Fluffy posted:

What little was mentioned of Hotah in the books made him sound like he was extremely deadly, always on guard against everything (and armored, iirc), and had a severe distrust for the Sand Snakes so he was even more on guard when they were around. So of course the show kills him in the dumbest manner possible and never make him look like anything more than a well dressed bodyguard with an axe instead of a sword.

And multiple good actors D&D pissed away were amazing in Rome.

Though to be fair all our information about Hotah comes from Hotah's internal monologue, so his self image of himself and the reality of Hotah.. irreality of Hotah? The Hotah conclusion we won't see because Sanderson will write him out of the last books, will always be a known uknown.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pseudanonymous posted:

Though to be fair all our information about Hotah comes from Hotah's internal monologue, so his self image of himself and the reality of Hotah.. irreality of Hotah? The Hotah conclusion we won't see because Sanderson will write him out of the last books, will always be a known uknown.

Dorne falls and Hotah becomes a worldhopper, providing the muscle for Wayne and The Lopens hijinks.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

удар в шкурові кульки

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

edit: I See you posted already. this space reserved for my hot take.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

kaworu posted:

They wasted quite a few great casting decisions. Ian McShane's

Ian McShane should have been Tyrion. They could have digitally shrunk him to little people size. Dinkle was kind of blah to me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Can we finally admit that Dinklage's vocal affect loving sucked?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Can we finally admit that Dinklage's vocal affect loving sucked?

He should have used the voice of Elaines wake up service guy.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dinklage definitely had some great scenes, mostly early on. But then he went downhill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

RCarr posted:

Dinklage definitely had some great scenes, mostly early on. But then he went downhill.

D&D made the conscious choice of writing him as a clear good guy instead of the villain GRRMs been turning him into because he was s a fan favorite. This became a serious problem when they then ran out of book material and so D&D wrote original plots for him based on their own lives of being a loving idiot who gives terrible advice that ruins everything.